The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Biggest Longest & Heaviest Carnivore Dinosaurs

Guest · 26 · 2911

JBJB1029

The Main Carnivore for The Land Before Time XV
Carnotaurus - 7.5 m - 2 ton - L. Jurrasic
This animal had a similar body size to Allosaurus but a much shorter tail, hence its deceptive size when the lengths of the two animals are given. In this case, comparison of body-weights gives a better idea of their relationship.

The Main Carnivores for The Land Before Time XVI
Acrocanthosaurus - 12 m 4 ton - E. Cret
This animal was an Allosaur and, as such, had the long tail associated with them. However, it was notable for its spines along its back.
Carcharodontosaurus   13.5 m - 7.5 ton - E. & L. Cret
The slightly smaller African cousin of Giganotosaurus. Smaller versions were known for decades but a recent skull 5' 4" in length had created a new estimation for the size of this animal.

The Main Carnivore for The Land Before Time XVII
Torvosaurus - 12 m - 3.5 ton
Another of the longest animals ever discovered. It has a more slender body than Tyrannosaurus. Torvosaurus is a close relative of Megalosaurus, which is a couple of metres shorter. The two share certain charcateristics of the hip bones.

The Main Carnivore for The Land Before Time XVIII
Tyrannotitan   ?14 m - ?7.5 ton - Cret
This is a newly discovered dinosaur about which little is known. Size estimates range from 13.7m to 15.2m so it could yet be the largest known carnivore of all time. It is of the Carcharodontosauridae family also.

The Main Carnivore for The Land Before Time XIX
Spinosaurus - 15 m    4 ton - L. Cret
Another example of a false impression of size. Like Allosaurus its huge tail accounts for more than 50% of its body length. Also, its magnificent sail adds nearly 2 metres to its height.

The Second Main Carnivores for The Land Before Time XX
Mapusaurus   12.5 m - 5 ton - L. Cret
A dinosaur from Argentina which is part of the Charcharodontosauridae family however it is a close relative of Giganotosaurus rather than Charcharadontosaurus itself.

The Main Carnivore for The Land Before Time XX
Giganotosaurus - 14 m - 8 ton
The new champion. Skeletons are incomplete and the estimates of the size might still fluctuate, but it does seem larger than T rex and its related Charcharodontosauridae, with the possible exception of Tyrannotitan.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I heard Spinosaurus was the largest meat-eating dinosaur, measuring about 52-59 ft long while Tyrannotitan was about 40 ft long.

So these all for fanfic ideas of yours?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Some of these species did appear in land before time movies already. There was a Spinosaurus in LBT 12 and the Sharptooth from LBT 5 is usually identified as a Giganotosaurus. I think the most important thing about Shartpteeth in case there are to be any further movies would be to stop the sad trend of making them harmless comic relieves who pose no real thread to the characters (as has been the case in the LBT movies 8, 10, 11, 12, and 13. So long they make the carnivores impressive and threatening the species may be of secondary importance.

JBJB1029

Quote from: Malte279,Mar 29 2009 on  02:40 PM
Some of these species did appear in land before time movies already. There was a Spinosaurus in LBT 12 and the Sharptooth from LBT 5 is usually identified as a Giganotosaurus. I think the most important thing about Shartpteeth in case there are to be any further movies would be to stop the sad trend of making them harmless comic relieves who pose no real thread to the characters (as has been the case in the LBT movies 8, 10, 11, 12, and 13. So long they make the carnivores impressive and threatening the species may be of secondary importance.
What's that mean?

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
He's talking about the fear factor of LBT sharpteeth.  Sadly, they've become bumbling idiots in the last several sequels, although the one in LBT IX was quite frightening.  If Universal would get their act together and bring real fear back to the LBT sharpteeth, the suspense would be greater and therefore lessen the "childish" feel of the last several sequels.

JBJB1029

Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Mar 29 2009 on  09:56 PM
He's talking about the fear factor of LBT sharpteeth.  Sadly, they've become bumbling idiots in the last several sequels, although the one in LBT IX was quite frightening.  If Universal would get their act together and bring real fear back to the LBT sharpteeth, the suspense would be greater and therefore lessen the "childish" feel of the last several sequels.
Well let's contact them and tell them that, OK.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if that'll work. Yes, we could contact them, but that doesn't guarantee the chance of a new LBT movie with a fearsome sharptooth. I've heard that LBT was cancelled, likely due to financial issues.

JBJB1029

Do you think they might restart the show once the financial issues have been fixed?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't really think so. There may have been other reasons for LBT getting cancelled. Then again I don't know if there's ever been official word of tis cancelletation, has there?

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Not that I know of :unsure:.  I just hope they don't screw LBT over like this.  At least give it a decent ending if it is to not be continued :anger!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The office in charge of the production of the LBT movies was closed a while ago. It was before the start of the financial crisis, so financial causes for the stop of the movies must have been lack of money made through the movies themselves. I think I picked up a rumor (only a rumor, I do not recall the source) that LBT 13 turned out to be the first ever LBT movie not to make good the production costs so they ended up with red numbers. I don't think any director or producer in the world is likely to continue so risky a business; least of all under the impression of the financial crisis.
There was no official word saying "We release anything LBT related ever again!" but, let's face it, even if that decision had been made in some conference room they are not likely to release official word about it. So it basically comes down to any further release being extremely unlikely. We can cling to the straw of the absence of an official word that nothing more is to come as there is no real harm in hoping (though we should cut out any making up or spreading of rumors which could cause disappointment).
As far as I am concerned, and as many others here expressed as well when the news of the closing of the office was made known, LBT is no longer dependent on further movie releases (least of all on releases of the same quality level as some of the recent releases were) but has to a good deal become what you and I make of it in our stories, our art, our threads, and our holding on together so that our dreams will never die.
If tomorrow it was officially said that no more movies were ever to be released, who would leave the GOF and abandon enthusiasm for LBT as a reaction to this piece of information? Certainly not me, certainly not most of you! We may regret the absence of further LBT releases, but we no longer depend on them to keep this community whole. We have established our own Great Valley by now that does not depend on the finances of a director or a movie company but only on our minds, spirits, and sometimes the supply of time which (though we don't life in a land before time) may occasionally be cut short by work- or educational life ;)

JBJB1029

Quote from: Malte279,Mar 31 2009 on  02:25 AM
The office in charge of the production of the LBT movies was closed a while ago. It was before the start of the financial crisis, so financial causes for the stop of the movies must have been lack of money made through the movies themselves. I think I picked up a rumor (only a rumor, I do not recall the source) that LBT 13 turned out to be the first ever LBT movie not to make good the production costs so they ended up with red numbers. I don't think any director or producer in the world is likely to continue so risky a business; least of all under the impression of the financial crisis.
There was no official word saying "We release anything LBT related ever again!" but, let's face it, even if that decision had been made in some conference room they are not likely to release official word about it. So it basically comes down to any further release being extremely unlikely. We can cling to the straw of the absence of an official word that nothing more is to come as there is no real harm in hoping (though we should cut out any making up or spreading of rumors which could cause disappointment).
As far as I am concerned, and as many others here expressed as well when the news of the closing of the office was made known, LBT is no longer dependent on further movie releases (least of all on releases of the same quality level as some of the recent releases were) but has to a good deal become what you and I make of it in our stories, our art, our threads, and our holding on together so that our dreams will never die.
If tomorrow it was officially said that no more movies were ever to be released, who would leave the GOF and abandon enthusiasm for LBT as a reaction to this piece of information? Certainly not me, certainly not most of you! We may regret the absence of further LBT releases, but we no longer depend on them to keep this community whole. We have established our own Great Valley by now that does not depend on the finances of a director or a movie company but only on our minds, spirits, and sometimes the supply of time which (though we don't life in a land before time) may occasionally be cut short by work- or educational life ;)
Maybe if they used my ideas the ratings for the Land Before Time would go back up again?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: JBJB1029,Apr 1 2009 on  01:46 AM
Maybe if they used my ideas the ratings for the Land Before Time would go back up again?
I highly doubt they'd use your ideas, largely because when it comes to official work, the ideas there are a collaboration of more than one person, usually people who have more experience in writing and such (people who went to college). From what I understand, everything is a collaboration, a combined effort. Even the characters are designed by more than one person.

The chances of them adopting an idea that a fan or group of fans came up with is very low. I've personally have never seen it happen.

But even though the chances are unlikely Universal will make more movies, that shouldn't stop you from trying to make fanfics to bring your ideas to life, so-to-speak. ;)

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Apr 1 2009 on  09:06 AM
Quote from: JBJB1029,Apr 1 2009 on  01:46 AM
I highly doubt they'd use your ideas, largely because when it comes to official work, the ideas there are a collaboration of more than one person, usually people who have more experience in writing and such (people who went to college). From what I understand, everything is a collaboration, a combined effort. Even the characters are designed by more than one person.

The chances of them adopting an idea that a fan or group of fans came up with is very low. I've personally have never seen it happen.

But even though the chances are unlikely Universal will make more movies, that shouldn't stop you from trying to make fanfics to bring your ideas to life, so-to-speak. ;)
Unless the ideas are genius :idea .

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: JBJB1029,Apr 10 2009 on  03:16 PM
Still the chances are very very slim. I've never seen a case that it happened. It's very unlikely that Universal would take ideas from a fan, no matter how good the idea may seem.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Apr 10 2009 on  03:25 PM
Quote from: JBJB1029,Apr 10 2009 on  03:16 PM
Still the chances are very very slim. I've never seen a case that it happened. It's very unlikely that Universal would take ideas from a fan, no matter how good the idea may seem.
Universal Studios can except ideas from fans, only if you submit them by franchised literary agents or motion picture production individuals with whom Universal has established a working relationship. This is said from a letter that the Legal Administrator from Universal Studios sent to me.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile