The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Natural Disasters

Guest · 39 · 3584

JBJB1029

Which Natural Disasters (not man made) were not used in any of the Land Before Time Series?

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wrong section (again!).  How about posting this in the "Geneal LBT" section?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Are you referring to the sequels movies or the TV series JBJB1029 (indeed the thread will be moved to the according section)?
In the movies we have earthquakes, volcanoes, meteor impacts, a drought (caused by that meteor impact), floods, a tornado, a tsunami (which curiously runs from the coast towards the open sea), a plague of locusts, avalanches (both snow and rock), and fire (caused by lightning strike).

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Mar 31 2009 on  11:49 PM
Are you referring to the sequels movies or the TV series JBJB1029 (indeed the thread will be moved to the according section)?
In the movies we have earthquakes, volcanoes, meteor impacts, a drought (caused by that meteor impact), floods, a tornado, a tsunami (which curiously runs from the coast towards the open sea), a plague of locusts, avalanches (both snow and rock), and fire (caused by lightning strike).
Sheesh!  Looking at all that, what could possibly be left?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
So basically, the LBT series has had just about every natural disaster imaginable. Its not surprising. I think the Great Valley is just cursed. Its like some exchange for not having predators around. Instead, you have to put up with whatever crap the valley, itself, throws at you. Kind of a case of Gaia's temper tantrum.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

JBJB1029

There is one natural disaster that wasn't used "A Huricane."

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yup.  Hurricanes have not been used, nor have tropical storms.  I get the feeling a monsoon occured in LBT IV, but I'm not certain.

JBJB1029

I've found a list of Natural Disasters, heres the list:
  • Land movement disasters
    • Avalanches
    • Earthquakes
    • Lahars
    • Landslides
    • Mudflows
    • Volcanic eruptions
  • Water disasters
    • Floods
    • Limnic eruptions
    • Tsunamis
  • Weather disasters
    • Blizzards
    • Droughts
    • Hailstorms
    • Heat waves
    • Cyclonic storms
  • Fire
  • Health and disease
    • Epidemic
    • Famine
  • Space
    • Impact events
    • Solar flare
Which one's were no used in The Land Before Time (Series), and which ones can, and can't be used in The Land Before Time (Series)?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
These ones I'm sure were not used, but I could be mistaken.

Solar flare
Lahar
Mudflows
Limnic eruptions
Tsunamis
Hailstorms
Heat waves
Epidemic

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm quite sure there was a mud flow in one of the tv-series episodes. There was a tsunami in LBT 5 (not one with major consequences though).

JBJB1029

Quote from: DarkHououmon,Apr 2 2009 on  08:02 AM
These ones I'm sure were not used, but I could be mistaken.

Solar flare
Lahar
Mudflows
Limnic eruptions
Tsunamis
Hailstorms
Heat waves
Epidemic
The ones in bold, are the ones that are already used, and the ones in italic are new:
Solar flare
Lahar
Mudflows
Limnic eruptions
Tsunamis
Hailstorms
Heat waves
Epidemic
pyroclastic flows

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
There are essences of things like mudflows (open sequence of LBT 9 there is a mudslide where a tree almost falls on a Rainbowface). And hang on, there has been a hurricane scene. What about the whirling wind part of LBT 6?

So basically, the LBT series has had just about every natural disaster imaginable. Its not surprising. I think the Great Valley is just cursed.

I wouldn't go so far to say the Great Valley is cursed. From a production point of view, it is the easiest topic to implement given the nature of the series. They don't create or build items so there is no fear of them back firing or being used for evil purposes. They don't have wars or any major conflicts so that's also a write-off. Most of the conflicts and troubles that humans endeavour in films are normally self-inflicted. Natural disasters are the perfect anatagonists for an undeveloped, naturalist environment so it's no wonder the Great Valley has been hit with pretty much every one they could think of. It's the best way to add suspense and tension to the series.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Apr 3 2009 on  07:04 AM
And hang on, there has been a hurricane scene. What about the whirling wind part of LBT 6?

That was a twister, my friend ;).  Hurricanes happen right along or near coastlines, and one can tell from LBT V and LBT IX that it takes days for the dinosaurs to reach the Big Water.  Being an East Coast native, I can tell ya firsthand that was definitely not a hurricane ;).

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
OK granted it may be something different by definition but to the actual characters would it still not equate to the same thing? And to a young audience, the technical definition of a hurricane wouldn't really mean much hence why I mentioned it. Tornado, twister, hurricane...to a kid it is a destructive wind that's depicted in a spinning motion.  Given that point it is probably the reason why it wasn't used multiple times, separated by definition.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are essences of things like mudflows (open sequence of LBT 9 there is a mudslide where a tree almost falls on a Rainbowface).
There is also a mudslide in the episodes "meadow of the jumping waters" and "the new nest" (the later almost killing Petrie's mum while the first one is rather harmless).
Limnic eruptions or toxic gasses from volcanoes are very dark stuff indeed to be used in an LBT story. Nevertheless I must admit I have been considering the inclusion of it in one of my LBT stories which is generally somewhat dark in tone. The disaster would not happen in the presence of any of the characters, but they would cross a Valley where it happened and their guide on that walk would tell about it interpreting it as "the breath of the earth" or something along that lines. With the landscapes full of dinosaur skeletons we saw in the original movie and the sequels 2 and 3 this may not push the boundary too far.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Apr 4 2009 on  04:30 AM
OK granted it may be something different by definition but to the actual characters would it still not equate to the same thing? And to a young audience, the technical definition of a hurricane wouldn't really mean much hence why I mentioned it. Tornado, twister, hurricane...to a kid it is a destructive wind that's depicted in a spinning motion.  Given that point it is probably the reason why it wasn't used multiple times, separated by definition.
I think they would be able to distinguish between a hurricane and a tornado/twister. A tornado/twister would be visible as a long funnel of cloud touching the ground and moving across land.

A hurricane, however, doesn't have such a thing. It's just strong wind and perhaps flooding as well. So to an LBT character, a hurricane would be a "really bad storm", not another name for a twister or tornado.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
They have not had hail storms yet either.

AnimeLover

• Chomper
    • View Profile
There's Been Many Disasters In The Land Before Time Movies. Disasters Like The Volcano Eruption, Tornado, Hurricane, And More. I Don't Like Those Kind Of Disasters. Because They're Nothing But Trouble. I Mean, Littlefoot And His Friends Survived, But Those Disasters Are Still Trouble.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I Don't Like Those Kind Of Disasters.

What kind of disasters you like then? :p
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile