The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Bron

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Drake,Aug 15 2008 on  10:19 AM
He can't be hurt because he got bit by a sharptooth and was seemingly unaffected.
I'm sure that that was just an oversight by the animators...
I don't know about that. I suspect that perhaps the animators didn't draw a wound because it would have been too gruesome for the little kiddies.
Yeah, I have to agree. Bron was probably more hurt than he appeared. He got bitten by a T-Rex, an animal with a crushing bite force. The animators wouldn't show the wound or blood because this is a kids' movie. If they had decided to show the injury, I suspect that Bron would have some deep puncture marks in the leg and probably lost some blood. The sharptooth could have done more damage if it wasn't knocked away.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That does make sense.  They've not shown wounds much in the past I don't think, or sense.  One doesn't want lots of blood and open wounds in a kid's movie.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I just figured out I haven't posted here. I don't have a whole lot of time to say this, so it's gonna be quick: In my opinion, Bron is one of the coolest characters in LBT, despite all the ridiculous plotholes in his stories and him being unaffected by the bite of a T-rex.

I'm not exactly sure why I think he's cool. Perhaps he reminds me of what I might've imagined Littlefoot to become when he grows up. Or maybe it's just him being Littlefoots father. I don't know.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: jedi472,Sep 22 2008 on  08:42 PM
I'm not exactly sure why I think he's cool. Perhaps he reminds me of what I might've imagined Littlefoot to become when he grows up. Or maybe it's just him being Littlefoots father.
Yeah he does seem cool that way.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Jan 29 2008 on  11:52 PM
Pat likely went to the same place every other 1 shot character went to once the movie they are in is over.
Yes. The after-life of one-shot characters, where these characters spend their existence contemplating how the series that they appeared in would have been different if they weren't one-shot characters.

Bron was meant to answer the question of "Who is Littlefoot's father?" that most LBT fans had, in my opinion. The plot structure between the tenth and eleventh movies was significantly different, so the old producers/directors/people-in-charge decided to leave the series in their own way; by answering the question I stated previously.

Bron would have been more injured than he appeared because of the animators and the rating requirements. In reality, the wound would have been bleeding, his leg would have been next to useless for a while, and he'd have been easy prey if Pat, Grandma, and Grandpa weren't around.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True points.  I was surprised they showed some blood in the 5th movie, though it was very little.  

Either that or Bron may have some sort of skin armor as his power.  After all if more then 1 shorptooth can survive a fall from a long distance and only get knocked out for a while, what Bron did would fit right in with that.  If they give sharpteeth some sort of power, why not a longneck.

No idea why they suddenly introduced Littlefoot's father.  It makes some plot holes.  Why didn't he look for Littlefoot in the Great Valley if he looked everywhere else.  Why wasn't he mentioned in the first movie, they mention there are only 3 left in Littlefoot's herd, why not say, except for possibly his father who had gone off to look for a safe place for them to live and may have not been caught in the big earth shake.  If Littlefoot didn't know who Bron is that means he was not around for many years, however old Littlefoot was in the first movie when the big earthshake happened and made that large break in the earth.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm really annoyed by the fact that Bron's actions stand in such stark contrast to the alleged qualities ascribed to him. I'm quoting from an older thread not to type this all over again:
1. To explain all the discrepancies of Bron's story, we need to remember the original movie. The story he is telling must have begun shortly before the beginning of the original land before time movie.
Yet where were Bron and Littlefoot's mother (whom they didn't bother to give so much as the same color she had in the original movie) in a lush, green, Great Valley like landscape. The landscape they showed was just a perfect nesting place for Bron and his wife. There was no point for him to leave his pregnant wife to look for a better place. They had a really good place already!
2. The way Bron tells the story it appears that almost the moment he left the world turned upside down and changed into the desolate wasteland we know from the original movie. This is highly unlikely and doesn't seem at all the way the situation is described in the original movie. Even if it was a sudden change from paradise to wasteland, would not a responsible Bron have returned immediately to find his wife and unborn hatchling? According to his tail he did, but if this was true, how come he didn't find them? First of all, if there was such a sudden change of situation I reckon Littlefoot's mother would have waited for Bron as long as possible, as she and her parents (the way the contact between Bron and Littlefoot's grandparents is shown we can take it for granted they are not Bron's parents) knew he was going to return as soon as he could (if he ever meant to return). Even if lack of food forced them to move on after all (Bron must have been really far away indeed not to be back by that time) it would have been easy enough for Bron to follow the fresh trail of three grownup longnecks (As Cera pointed out in LBT 10 they leave clear tracks) who certainly tried to leave a clear trail for Bron to follow. There is absolutely no justification why Bron didn't return to his wife right away!
3. So even if we assume that, in his overeagerness to find even better a nesting place for his dear wife, Bron had wandered so far off that he couldn't possibly be back in time to pick up the trail and reunite with his wife his eagerness to find Littlefoot may be doubted for the points I'm going to explain.
The existence of the Great Valley was obviously not a secret. Littlefoot told Ducky in the original movie that his mother had told him that all herds were heading there. Yet Bron, despite the fact he claims to have done everything to find his son (even after learning about the death of his wife) apparently didn't think to look at the most logical place. Was he the only one who never ever heard about the Great Valley? Even if nobody ever told him it is interesting to recall how Littlefoot's mother knew about the Great Valley "Some things you see with your eyes! Others you see with your heard!" Apparently Bron's heart never told him anything, a point I won't argue as I doubt so cold a heart as his would talk.
However, there is no justification for Bron never ever to search for his son at the place that was obviously the most logical destination for him to go!
4. I can hear the enraged shouts. How dare I calling this gentle longneck and great leader cold-heartet?
I'll lay it out to you. We are all very fond of him for taking care of Shorty and all the poor defenseless longneck kids he found when he was allegedly looking for his son. But he doesn't! Just take a look at that flashback. He checks whether his son is among the kids, finds he isn't, and moves on. Bron doesn't even open his mouth. No word of encouragement, no question if they know anything about the whereabouts of his son, and least of all an invitation to the kids to come along with him. He didn't decide to take care of the kids. They just followed him, knowing it would be safer for them and Bron apparently didn't mind. He did not offer his protection to them, they just took it.
Shorty in particular is a good example for Bron's indifference. You think Shorty (a character by the way whom I consider one of the positive points about LBT 10) would have ever turned into a bully if Bron had cared about him beyond saving him from being killed so long he stayed close enough? Throughout the whole movie the only scene in which Bron shows direct kindness to Shorty is when during the herd's departure he takes him onto his head. Shorty might have considered Bron a father, but Bron did not consider him a son. Just listen to what he told Littlefoot. All the others found parents, but not Shorty. I really pity Shorty. Bron seems to be more like a leader than a parent to him. It is not for kindness that Bron took care of anyone!
5. Speaking of taking care, let's take a look at how much Bron cares about his herd. He says he cannot accompany Littlefoot and his grandparents to the Great Valley as he has to go back to his herd. Now that's noble, isn't it? He would so much like to come along with his son, but he will sacrifice his personal luck for the wellbeing of his herd which apparently cannot survive a day without him...
But wait a second, is not the herd supposed to be right there, at the crater where the solar eclipse occurred? All longnecks were supposed to be there!
We know that all longnecks were not there. Ali and her herd was missing and so was Doc. There must have been quite a few who either didn't have that dream or didn't get there in time. But how is it possible that Bron and a part of his herd was there, but another part wasn't? There is no doubt that not all of Bron's herd was there, as he told Littlefoot he was looking forward to introduce him to the rest of the herd. Now can you give me a reason why Bron would leave what must be a considerable part of the herd rather than leading all of them there? I have a theory and as you may expect it doesn't cast a positive light on Bron, but I beg you to give me a better reason.
It appears that Bron left behind the part of his herd that was too slow to make it to the crater in time for the solar eclipse. If he really did, doesn't that mean that he must've left the old, the weak, the too young kids etc. behind? Not the kind of herd members a good leader should leave to their fate! I just hope he left some strong longnecks behind to protect them. Bron must have something that makes other dinosaurs follow him, but he doesn't show any of the responsibility true leadership demands!
6. Did you notice how Bron talked to Littlefoot about sharpteeth? "Sharpteeth are cowards!" Even though the statement seems to apply to the extremely harmless sharpteeth in the land before time 10 I wish he would say that into the face of the sharptooth who killed Littlefoot's mother!
Bron's statement is a generalization and it is also quite insensitive talking this way in front of Littlefoot whose mother was killed by a sharptooth. Also I wonder if Littlefoot thought of Chomper when his father said this. Wouldn't Chomper be a perfect counterproof? It does take courage to attack a grownup sharptooth while you are still a hatchling, and it does take courage (even for a grownup sharptooth) to attack huge leafeaters.
Bron doesn't need to fear sharpteeth, for he is invulnerable! We see a sharptooth biting his leg, but it doesn't cause much more than an "Ouch". We don't see a scratch, Bron doesn't limb or anything. They could've made all this so much more dramatic if they had stirred up some memories about the death of Littlefoot's mother. Bron is arrogant and invulnerable!
7. Bron had given Littlefoot up! Even though he apparently never heard anything about him after learning about the death of his mother, he just stopped looking. What Bron says to Littlefoot is: "I can't wait to introduce you to the others back home". The statement leaves no doubt that Bron's herd is not a herd of migrators (as Ali's) but has one place to stay, similar to the Great Valley I suppose. This fact does weaken the reproach of Bron being irresponsible for leaving the herd to head for the place where the solar eclipse takes place. So long he leaves them at a save, protected place...
However, it also raises the question why they depend on him at all. If they are in a place save enough to be left behind there by Bron (a place where they have stayed long enough to call it home), what for do they need a leader anyway? The Great Valley doesn't have one leader either, and there is not a one of the dinosaurs in the Great Valley that is so important for the Valley that his or her departure would cause any serious harm for the Valley's population.
8. Finally, if Bron was indeed so great and admirable character, how come that in nine previous movies he was so much ignored, that Littlefoot didn't even know he had a dad? Was there a good reason for Littlefoot's grandparents to try to conceal Bron from Littlefoot? Perhaps so. Littlefoot's grandparents may well have intended not to tell Littlefoot about Bron, fearing that he would risk his life trying to find his father. Still I'm not sure that explaination justifies leaving Littlefoot so ignorant he didn't even know he had a Dad.
In almost all of his actions he comes across as quite the opposite of what he is supposed to be. He does not really seem to care about anyone (leaving his wife without need in time of her pregnancy, merely accepting that others follow him rather than deliberately taking care of them, leaving part of his herd behind, having given up the search for his son without checking the most likely place, and not having accepted Shorty as a kind of adopted son in all those years).
He does not seem to be very sensitive (his attitude towards Shorty, his talking of "Sharpteeth being cowards" to his son whose mother had been killed by one, and silly as they are one cannot really accuse the LBT 10 Sharpteeth as cowards starting an uphill battle against the longnecks many more of whom might have joined the fight, but were apparently too cowardly to do so.
Bron's story makes so little sense that, was it not for the fact that it is the makers of LBT who messed up here, I would go so far as to call him a poor liar.
Being the product of very poor and unfitting planning on the part of the producers which is not exactly the fault of the character himself I would call him a very poorly masked patchwork. As such I could almost feel pity for him, or for Littlefoot who falls for every word which the careless creators of Bron put in his mouth, if I wasn't too annoyed about this lack of care as to allow for any such sympathetic emotion as pity :bang

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Bron would come across far better if they had done a few more drafts of the movie before animation was started.    It would have improved the movie a lot also.

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ya know. I think Littlefoot's dad was ment to be a mystery. As Malte stated times before, sequels were not in mind.
For all we know when they said that what was left of Littlefoot's heard, his father could have very well perished. Do we even know what a dinosaurs gestation period is?
He could have been killed when she was pregnant or soon before she gave birth. Sure it was neat to see Bron and all...but I would have liked it better if he were a mystery...

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
Of all the LBT sequels, X is my favorite, and it "connects the dots" (if not all of them) from the original 1988 movie.
I agree that Bron is cool but what makes him cool? Maybe it's that inner strength, the compassion, and the fun loving side. Hey aren't these the same qualities as Littlefoot's mom?

BTW does Littlefoot's mom have a name?

I read this thread from the beginning and noticed some sharp observations Re: apatosaurus. Doesn't the name mean "deceptive lizard"?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe if he had been Littlefoot's uncle.  The film has many good scenes, but it also has many problems and plot holes and continuity problems too.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't really see that compassion on the part of Bron. He does not shoo Shorty and the kids away, but in that flashback he doesn't even speak a word to any of them and does not "invite" them to his protection. While all the other little longnecks were adopted Bron doesn't even think about taking a parental role for Shorty until LBT 10 or else Shorty would hardly act the way he does.
Also Bron apparently left part of his herd behind ("Can't wait to introduce you to my herd back home") when he set out for that crater. What to make of that? Why would he leave anyone behind and whom would he leave behind? Those to slow to keep the pace (thereby the ones in the most urgent need of protection)?
There is of course a much "Bron friendlier" interpretation, namely that some just didn't come along because they didn't have that dream (which tears up another claim of the story, namely that all longnecks had that dream; a claim already discarded to some degree by the absence of Ali and Doc). But even so it would undermine the claim that dinosaurs followed Bron for his personality and leadership qualities.
Rather than connecting dots from the first movie I see LBT 10 as arbitrarily dotting around in the countryside without creating a coherent story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
10 does have many problems.  Which is why I'm thinking of, someday, using video editing software and cutting out & keeping the scenes that I like and watch those on the pc.  As well as a section of the 4th movie. I've done it before with star wars episode 1, which I'll have to reedit to remove some more scenes.  I'm about 70% happy with the version I have now.  While I'm at it I may do some of superman 1 and 2.  Though there would be few scenes from those movies, there would be some, and 1 from blade 2.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Okay, it appears that we have "issues" regarding Bron, so let me see if I can set up a rough time-line for him:

1. At some time in the past, he marries Littlefoot's mother.

2. After she became pregnant with some eggs, Bron leaves to "find a better home", in spite of the fact that the place they were at appeared to be green at the time.

3. Between Bron's departure and return, a major earthquake hits and destroys the place where Bron had departed from.

4. Bron then looks for his wife and child, and finds out that she is dead.

5. Somewhere along the way, he becomes the leader of a herd and seems to have totally forgotten about his original plan to find his child.

6. Then the 10th movie happens, and later, he visits Littlefoot some times in the Great Valley.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
There's always been a lot of crazy stuff that seems to dominate Bron's past, but I for one prefer to observe the character as he seems to be in the movie: a kind and caring father.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
He didn't even act hurt when the sharptooth bit him.  What is he, the LBT version of Chuck Norris perhaps?  I don't think the story writers put a lot of effort into the character if you ask me.  He had potential that they didn't use.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: F-14 Ace,Nov 18 2008 on  06:23 PM
What is he, the LBT version of Chuck Norris?
He could be.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would guess they did not want to show any blood.  & they may have just messed up in spots too.  Not thinking they could show an injury or forgetting for the next scenes that Bron was injured.  Not the first time they may have messed up on some details here and there.  

That and they do give some characters some powers.  And I feel if more then 1 sharptooth can fall from a long distance and get merely stunned, jumping a long distance, why shouldn't some plant eaters have some powers too, it is only fair. After all Ali can travel long distances in minutes, why should Bron not have some powers too, if you want to take the powers viewpoint.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I'm bumping this topic in order to bring up the possibility of Bron being in the "In the Land Before Time" RP, if he isn't there already. I'd like to introduce his herd at some point.

EDIT: This might be copy-pasted to the roleplay section.

EDIT AGAIN: Bron is already taken after all. Unless his player isn't going to USE him...

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Nov 12 2009 on  01:11 PM
I'm bumping this topic in order to bring up the possibility of Bron being in the "In the Land Before Time" RP, if he isn't there already. I'd like to introduce his herd at some point.

EDIT: This might be copy-pasted to the roleplay section.

EDIT AGAIN: Bron is already taken after all. Unless his player isn't going to USE him...
Oh, don't worry,I'm planning on using him in my next post.