The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Hyp, Mutt, and Nod

Dinonut · 42 · 10428

Dinonut

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://freewebs.com/ryan_dinomite/
Whatever happened to Hyp, Mutt, and Nod? They first appeared in The Land Before Time III, but they were nowhere to be seen in the other sequels of The Land Before Time or in the TV series.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
We don't know. We'll probably never know. They're not important to the story anymore so no one really cares about them.

...Though I did quite like Hyp, but that's besides the point.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ratiasu's guess is as good as mine. They just disappeared like Dana and Dinah, the threehorn twins. I wouldn't mind some more appearances from them, even (or better yet, especially) if it meant not as many new characters being introduced. Sadly, it does look like the old characters have been left by the wayside. However, the TV series has has a habit of showing guest characters again (Ali, Mo, Doc, Mr. Thicknose, etc.). Mabey in Season 2...?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I hope we see them again.  Universal should reuse some of the guest characters instead of creating new ones all the time.  These three are still very usable characters and those two in LBT 13 are just stupid.  They should bring back some of the older characters :yes

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I took the liberty to move this thread to the character discussion section.
Hyp, Nod, and Mutt are definitely on the list of characters who could do well in further land before time stories. While their "sublimation" at the end of LBT 3 reached a somewhat mawkish degree I'm quite sure that there wouldn't be a total change of personality for any of them. Even though they may remember the most basic lessons of LBT 3 I expect they would still remain kind of "unruly" teenagers which would be a a refreshing change with all the younger or fully grownup characters.
The three are of course no homogeneous group. Hyp is definitely on top of the pecking order in spite of being the smallest and probably physically weakest of the group (Cera: "your kind never gets very big.") but with all his shortcomings he seems to be the brightest and the most self assertive of the group which makes him being accepted as the leader.
Nod would be number two in the pecking order. Not much of a thinker and basically willing to submit to Hyp's will (having him ride on his back) he still won't accept everything Hyp says if what he is saying calls his own courage or whatever into question. By doing just that (questioning his courage) Hyp manages to manipulate him into following.
Mutt finally is really just the follower parroting the other's words and actions without really thinking about the why. He would probably be the most affable and least autonomous of the three if left to himself.

One question about Hyp, Nod, and Mutt that was raised in another thread was just how far they would have gone with their evil actions. Some people think that, when hunting Littlefoot and the others after finding the water hole, Hyp planned to actually kill them. I do not agree with that idea.
Hyp is a loudmouth, a bully, a rowdy, and probably ready to use violence to achieve his aims; but I do not think that he is a killer. Perhaps nothing would have brought Hyp into a more embarassing situation than if he and his friends had managed to corner Littlefoot and the others after the finding of the waterhole. On the one hand he would have had to be "tough" in order not to loose face for Nod and Mutt. On the other hand he could not possibly commit such a crime as suggested above. He would have been on the horns of a dilemma trying to intimidate Littlefoot and the others enough to stop them from telling others about the waterhole (I don't see how he could have managed to do this).

I know of three published "official" land before time stories (non-fanfictions) which include Hyp, Nod, and Mutt. One of them appeared in a booklet titled "All together". The story comes down to a contest between Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike on the one and Hyp, Nod, and Mutt on the other side. The message of course is that by working together (something especially Cera has to learn first) they can overcome the bullies advantage in superior strength during the contest.
The second story is from one board book and was elaborated in an audio play (which was published in Germany). The title is very similar to that of the booklet: "We did it together". In that story Hyp, Nod, and Mutt capture Spike and Littlefoot and the others have to work together to make the bullies think that a huge unknown dinosaur is approaching to chase them away and free Spike.
Finally there was a story involving Hyp, Nod, and Mutt published in a land before time magazine which was issued in Germany in late 2000 early 2001 (sadly only four issues appeared before it was stopped). I have to read it again to remember the details, but once again it was about Littlefoot and the others outwitting Hyp, Nod, and Mutt who were remarkably identified as Sharpteeth in that story! :blink:
Doesn't sound like the author ever watched LBT 3, does it? :lol

I included Hyp, Nod, and Mutt in one LBT story I'm writing. It is really fun to let them encounter another gang of unruly teenagers. B)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They would be interesting characters to see reappear.  They should bring some characters back.  It would be nice if they were like Malte279 and not super nice, but better then they were before, in most situations, but unruly teenagers.

I was watching the movie today and after watching the song where they sing (far more then once, something I find I do, I can't watch most songs just once) I was wondering what would they do to an individual who was an adult but smaller then them I wonder.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Oct 19 2007 on  11:17 PM
I was watching the movie today and after watching the song where they sing (far more then once, something I find I do, I can't watch most songs just once) I was wondering what would they do to an individual who was an adult but smaller then them I wonder.
You're screnario is quite unlikely (remember, "Your kind never gets very big."), but possible (the full grown fliers seem to be small compared to other adults, and don't even get me started on the Tinysauruses :rolleyes: ). I assume that they would threaten them like any other "baby" in the Valley. I kind of doubt they would beat such an adult (or anyone else, for that matter) to a pulp, but we never got a definite answer to such a question in LBT 3. There is an episode of LBT TV floating around, though....

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A LBT tv episode, which one?  

The smallest adults I can think of are the flyers, like you mentioned, and maybe some like the rainbowfaces.

Could be sorta funny long term if they did like you suggested.  Some adults would then go and tell some of the other adults, though some could be bullied.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Oct 19 2007 on  11:28 PM
A LBT tv episode, which one?
See this thread for the episode in question.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks, one of the episodes I don't have.  Wonder if you can give a bit of info on how they act, compared to in the 3rd movie, without giving away any spoilers?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've never seen that episode, as it hasn't aired in the US, just in Europe. So far, a recording of it has failed to appear on the internet (that we know of). We do have watchers here, though. ;)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hope to see it soon.  Was hoping you had seen it.  Guess many of us are waiting for it.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
If you'll view a few threads in the forum on this board dedicated to the Land Before Time TV Series, you'll find that extensive efforts have been made to make these viewable to all who want to see them. I think that landbeforetimelover and Threehorn are especially involved in such efforts.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It would be nice if they were like Malte279 and not super nice, but better then they were before, in most situations, but unruly teenagers.
So I am a not super nice unruly teenager? :lol
I guess you missed a word ;)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, I did miss a word, never noticed it till you said, does make for a pretty funny statement.   :lol

Landbeforetimelover's site is where I got all the tv episodes I have.  A great service till one can get the dvd's.  Does Threehorn have a site like Landbeforetimelover does?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
EDIT: YOU EDITED! :lol

EDIT: To answer the question you just edited in, no, not that I know of. He may know otherwise, though....

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dinonut,Aug 25 2007 on  11:16 PM
Whatever happened to Hyp, Mutt, and Nod? They first appeared in The Land Before Time III, but they were nowhere to be seen in the other sequels of The Land Before Time or in the TV series.
I remember not liking this group as a kid, but now that I look at them, I really like them. Especially Hyp, he's one of those kids that are completely misunderstood and just angry, he's not evil, he just has ego-issues and is a very angry kid.

I did see the episode in the TV series and Hyp does not look like himself! :p I really didn't like that. Mostly because I liked Hyp original appearance just the way it was.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hyp's actions may be a clue as to how his father treats him, and likely how Cera would have become if not for the influence of Littlefoot and the others.  He seems a bit better in the tv series as far as how he acts, maybe a sign of the reaction of the 3rd movie and his maturing a bit and maybe his father acting a bit better towards his son.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Big Bafoons is what they are.  Still I respect them.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm kind of interested in what would happen if they met another group of Big Bafoons :p
That could make for a story element.