The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My fanfiction both short and long

Ptyra · 9 · 3114

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
It might not be the best thing to do XD .

I've been working on quite a lot of stories, LBT and not, and I would like to show some of them. My last fanfiction related topic was for a VERY old version of Ptyra's story arch. But I've done a lot more since then.

And now to start, my own "Episode fic" featuring a return of Pterano.

Guardian in the Mysterious Beyond

The Great Valley's day had been ordinary so far, at least as “ordinary” as it could get. There wasn't a natural disaster or enemy threatening them, so all was fine. The children gathered at Petrie's old home to sit at the rocks below and tell stories. Petrie sat in front of the others, telling them a story about a valiant Crested Flier that had been threatened by a herd of ten sharpteeth. “And then the flier scared all the sharpteeth away!” Petrie finished his story. Cera's eyes drooped blandly. “Wait, you're SURE this happened?” Cera asked. “Well, my Uncle Pterano knows a flier--”
“ENOUGH with the Pterano Tall-Tales!” Cera shouted angrily. Petrie lurched backwards. “How about something ELSE for a change?” Cera demanded. “Well, those stories are kind of interesting.” Littlefoot said. “I mean, even the old Longneck stories seem a little odd.” He continued. “And 'Pterano Tall Tales' sounds kinda nice.” Guido, who sat on Cera's back, blinked with confusion. “Uh, who's Pterano?” He asked. “He my uncle!” Petrie said gleefully. “How come you haven't mentioned him to me before?” Guido asked. “We don't LIKE to talk about him.” Cera scoffed. “Why do you not like somebody you do not like?” Ruby asked. “He...did some bad things.” Littlefoot said.

Guido sat up eagerly. “What happened?” He asked. “Well...” Littlefoot stood up from where he sat. “On the way to the Great Valley, he led some of the herd away from the others and accidentally brought them to their deaths. He was sent away because of that. Later, he came to the Valley with some farwalkers and he did worse.” Littlefoot explained. “What did he do?” Chomper gasped. “On the night the Far Walkers came, I saw a strange falling rock-it was blue and it flew real low to the ground.”
“It flew real low?” Guido asked.
“It flew real low!” Littlefoot nodded. “It turned out that the falling rock I saw could have been a Stone of Cold Fire-something that could have great power! Pterano tried to go after the Stone of Cold Fire because he thought it was magic.” Littlefoot continued. “I overheard his plan to take over the Valley and he took me away. But he saved-ed me when I fell later, he did, he did.” Ducky nodded. “He helped to save all of us.” Littlefoot agreed. “That reduced his  punishment to five cold times in the Mysterious Beyond.” Cera added. “And he be back once the Great Night Circle shrinks and grows just a few more times!” Petrie giggled excitedly. “I hope he's okay.” He said. Tricia, who had been sitting behind the gang, noticed a large butterfly. She giggled and pattered after it as it flew in the flower patch.

Guido winced. “Jeez, five cold times for that?” He asked. “Well, he did do many more things.” Ducky said. “It was a 'reduced' cold times. My dad said that they almost banished him for ten cold times until Pterano returned with us.” Cera explained. Guido tensed. “That's pretty rough.” He said. Petrie nodded. “Me haven't seen him at all in Mysterious Beyond when we go. But it is big place.” Cera rolled her eyes. “Or maybe he won't come back.” She said. Petrie jumped up defensively. “No! He WILL COME BACK!” He hollered angrily. Cera jerked back, startled at Petrie's outburst. “Calm down, Petrie, we don't know for sure.” She flinched as Petrie crossed his arms. Ruby stepped between them. “Please, do not fight.” She said. “Let's get back to telling stories.” She looked at her friends serenely.

Petrie leaned to look behind Cera's leg. “How about a real story?” He asked. “Like what?” Cera asked. “Like when Uncle Pterano lost my mama.” Petrie replied. “Why would I want to hear about that?”
Petrie pointed behind her. “That why.” Cera turned around. Tricia was was gone. “Hey, where'd Tricia go?” Cera asked. “She go that way.” Petrie pointed in the direction of tiny tracks. Cera screamed. “TRICIA!” She raced beside the tracks. “They go right into the Mysterious Beyond!” She gasped. Petrie jumped into the air and followed the tracks from above. “We gotta hurry!” He shouted. The rest of the group followed Cera and Petrie.

*Later*
The Gang tirelessly followed Tricia's tracks. By the time they found her, it was nearly sunset. They led up a steep rock hill, where Tricia trembled with fear and confusion at the top. “Tricia!” Cera shouted. Tricia snapped out of her terrified state and looked in the direction of Cera's voice. She babbled gleefully and began to climb down the wall. “Here she comes!” Cera ran over to the bottom. Trica's foot slipped on a rock, sending her sliding backwards off the wall.

“Tricia!” Cera screamed as Tricia fell squealing. She charged to get under her, but something caught Tricia out of the air. “Huh?” Cera asked. Tricia's rescuer hovered above the ground with Tricia between its feet. Littlefoot, Cera and Petrie gasped. “Oh my.” Ruby said. Spike and Ducky looking up with their mouths gaping in astonishment. Chomper ran behind a nearby rock, fearing he would be noticed among leaf-eaters by a stranger. Guido sighed with relief, as he was about to save Tricia himself, but would have to struggle to lower her to the ground safely.
 Tricia's savior was a flier-a male with a long brown crest, scarlet body, and pale belly. Despite the fact that this flier had a more acute body and looked stronger than the first time they met him, they knew who he was. “There you go, little one.” The flier said as he gently set the trembling Tricia to her feet.. He had a deep and mellow British  accent. “Tricia!” Cera ran over and nuzzled her sister. “Thank you, thank you so much--” She was interrupted by Petrie, who let out a joyful shriek and flew over Cera's head. Tricia's rescuer stood as Petrie embraced his arm. “UNCLE PTERANO!” He screeched. Pterano put his hand on Petrie's back with a smile. “Hello there, Petrie.” He said as Petrie sobbed with happiness. “You okay!” Petrie cried. “I told you I would.” Pterano replied with a laugh. Cera nudged him. “You saved my sister.” She said. “Thank you.” Pterano smiled and put his hand on her back. “I'm glad to make an easy second start.” He said as Tricia cooed at him and nuzzled his leg. “And someone's just as eager to make a first impression.” Petrie climbed onto Pterano's shoulder as Pterano patted Trica's back. “So, Old Threehorn has a new wife, does he?” Pterano smiled with amusement. Cera nodded. “Tria.” She said. “Then I won't guess who the baby takes after.”

Ducky jumped off Spike's neck and hugged Pterano's wing. “Oh yes, you saved-ed-ed Tricia like you saved-ed-ed me!” She said. “Thank you for saving Cera's baby sister, Uncle Pterano! If you hadn't, we would all be very sad and Cera would be in big, big trouble!” Pterano sighed heavily and crossed his arms.. “Yes, I would have to agree.” He said. Littlefoot, Spike, and Ruby joined them as Pterano stood up. Spike murmured happily. “Um...Likewise.” Pterano patted Spike's head, pretending to understand what Spike said. Pterano was about to face Littlefoot, and his beak bumped the side of Littlefoot's neck. “Goodness!” He exclaimed. “You've grown a lot in three cold times!” Pterano put his hand at about the size Littlefoot had been when they had first met. “Longnecks grow fast.” Littlefoot said modestly “Is it the Time of the Great Growing?” Pterano asked. Littlefoot nodded. “Yes.” Littlefoot chuckled. Ruby extended her hand. “My name is Ruby. You did not meet me before, but you are meeting me now.” She said. Pterano clasped her hand tightly. “And I'm obliged to.” He said. Guido landed on Cera's back. “Um...I'm Guido.” He chuckled nervously. “Uh, Petrie's told me about you.” He said. “I'm...glad to meet you.” Pterano put a hand on Guido's back. “Any friend of my nephew's is a friend of mine.” He grinned. “Um...yeah.” Guido returned the smile. “Where is Chomper?” Ducky asked. Petrie flew off Pterano's shoulder. “Yoo-hoo! Chomper!” He called. “I don't want him to meet me!” Chomper shouted. “Oh, it's okay, Chomper!” Petrie shouted. Pterano tapped his beak thoughtfully. “Uncle Pterano will like you if you make a good impression!”

Chomper peered from behind a rock just enough for his eyes to be seen. “HI!” And he ducked back down. “Aww, come on, Chomper! It okay!” Petrie edged Chomper out from behind the rock and into the open. Pterano staggered back, looking startled. “I know, I know, I'm a Sharptooth, I've been through it lots of times.” Chomper said blandly. “I'm not surprised with a name like yours.” Pterano smiled nervously. Ducky smiled encouragingly. “Chomper is good, Uncle Pterano.” She said. “I helped hatch him, oh yes! Petrie did too! And Littlefoot, Cera, and Spike.”

“I'm in the Great Valley to hide from Red Claw.” Chomper said. “And I am taking care of Chomper while he is in the Great Valley, while Red Claw is still a danger.” Ruby explained. “Red Claw?!” Pterano laughed. “He's nothing more than a possessive ruffian!” He crossed his arms proudly. “I'm not afraid of him!” Cera looked at him with a raised brow. “Are you pretending?” She asked. Pterano patted her frill. “Maybe I am...maybe I'm not.” Cera frowned with suspicion. “Five cold times out here have given me a chance to look into how Red Claw thinks.” Pterano said. “I'm sure Chomper would know too.” He said. “Well, I'm too busy trying to hide from Red Claw, so...” Chomper tapped his fingers together. “Oh.” Pterano put his hands together. “But you see, Red Claw might be a big and frightening Sharptooth, but he's nothing more than a scourge.” Pterano waved his hand with boredom. “It got boring having to run from him all the time and I came to realize that he just does it because he wants to be all-powerful.” Cera rolled her eyes. “I know someone like that!” She glared in Pterano's direction. “Ever heard of reform?” Pterano tested. “So, ever since I decided to stop running from Red Claw, I've followed him around.” He went on.

“You've been following Red Claw?” Chomper gasped. “Yes. I've been trying to find out what his real motive is, based on what he does.” Pterano crossed his arms. “I'm still not sure what the brute's up to.” He said. “But he loves to make his presence known!” He said. “And each time I see him, he is near the Great Valley.” He said. “So I have to lure him away.” The children gasped. “How?!” Cera demanded. “I don't usually bait myself. Once I threw rocks at him.” He said. “I eventually nailed him in the eye and he ran.” Pterano chuckled. “For the 'biggest, meanest Sharptooth ever', he certainly is a coward! I heard strange noises in a cavern one day and he ran from that.” Ducky looked at her friends with a raised brow. “I wonder what it could have been.” She had a hint of sarcasm in her tone. “You?” Pterano asked. “All of us! We were in the Cave of Many Voices!” Ducky said. “We made lots of talkbacks to scare Red Claw!” She giggled. “We tricked him good, we did!” Pterano laughed. “I'll say, he hasn't been in that area since!” The Gang laughed. “So you're saying he's a big coward?” Chomper asked. “That's what I think. To put it the best way, he's nothing but a glorified bully.” Pterano said. “Now.” He looked at all of them. “You should ALL be getting back home! Just look at the sky! It's almost bright fall!” The children looked up. “Yeah...we should be going.”

*Later Still*
“I still wish you see my Great Day of the Fliers!” Petrie lamented. The sky was starting to turn dark purple and a few stars shown in the sky. The Bright Circle was almost completely shrunken, except for a small sliver “Oh, I saw it!” Pterano said. He flew very low to the ground above the children. “That was quite a show you put on.” Petrie grinned proudly. “Yes it was! Petrie change Great Day of the Fliers forever and ever!” He puffed out his chest enough that his collar ruffled. “Indeed you did!” Pterano laughed as Petrie hugged his wrist. “I am happy you are here.” Petrie said warmly. Pterano blinked at Petrie's sudden change in speech. “I don't think my horns will grow in time for MY big ceremony!” Cera grumbled. “And what's that?” Pterano asked. “It's a fighting contest. We're judged by how strong we are and by how big and tough our horns are. Mine haven't even come up, except the one on my nose.” Cera sighed with melancholy. Pterano landed beside Cera. The group halted as he  stood beside Cera. He crossed his arms thoughtfully, then pressed his finger above her eye ridge. “Ow!” Cera shouted. “You feel that?” Pterano asked. “Yeah, it feels like your claw's inside my head!” Cera gritted her teeth. “In that case, your horns will be coming in very soon.” Pterano nodded. Cera blinked. “You think so?” She asked. Pterano nodded reassuringly.

Suddenly, there was a loud roar. Petrie and Pterano looked in its direction with alarm. “IT'S RED CLAW!” Chomper screamed, running to Pterano and hiding his head under his wing.“Red Claw has come since he is here!” Ruby gasped with shock. The others looked from where Red Claw's roar came. came. Ducky, Petrie, and Tricia all joined Chomper under Pterano's wing.  “And we're in the canyon too.” Pterano grumbled as Red Claw roared again. Guido shrieked, jumping off Cera's frill and hugging Pterano's leg. “And while we're in the canyon, we have nowhere to go but straight away from Red Claw until we reach a hiding place of mine.” Pterano said. “Is it far?” Littlefoot asked. “No, thankfully.” Pterano replied. “But I'm usually alone when Red Claw is approaching and I have...” He looked at each face present. “NINE of you here!” Pterano looked down at Guido. “Oh, let go.” He said. “That goes for the rest of you.” He said to the four hiding beneath his wings. “Now, let's do this in an orderly way, I don't want you all scattered across the Mysterious Beyond and getting all of us in trouble.” Petrie clutched Ducky and shrieked, “RED CLAW!!!” The big Sharptooth was now storming down the canyon floor. “Get out of here!” Pterano shouted at the youngsters as Screech and Claw appeared from behind Red Claw. Guido continued to cling to Pterano. “I don't want to die!” He wailed. “Then let go!” He gently pulled Guido off him and set him on Littlefoot's back. “Run, child!” Pterano took to the air, exposing the Chomper, Ducky, Petrie and Tricia. “Pterano!” Littlefoot gasped.

Petrie and Ducky sat petrified, then ran to the shelter of a rock. Tricia remained still. “Hurry, Tricia, you've got to move!” Chomper gave her a gentle push as Ruby, Spike, Littlefoot, and Cera started running. They were suddenly cornered by Screech and Claw, who backed them against the wall, snarling aggressively. “You!” Pterano shouted as he hovered ten feet above Red Claw's head. “The son of a tarpit with the brain of a rock!” Red Claw's lips curled up with an annoyed snarl. “Uncle, get away!” Petrie shouted as Red Claw snapped at Pterano. Pterano flew under Red Claw's head, forcing the big Sharptooth to stoop in order to snap (Petrie wailed with terror as he did so); and so Pterano flew lower and lower until he could fly around Red Claw's ankle and force him to fall over. While Red Claw was on the ground, Pterano swooped over Screech and Claw. “Get away!” Pterano shouted to the five that were trapped. As Littlefoot ran between the big Fastbiters, Screech snarled and seized Guido by the wing. Guido yelled as he was pulled off Littlefoot's back. “Guido!” Littlefoot shouted. Cera circled back and rammed Screech's leg repeatedly. “Let him go!” She bellowed, eventually jabbing her nose horn into him hard enough that Screech let go of Guido. Littlefoot swatted Claw with his tail to distract him. Cera gave the same force to another area of Screech's leg, sending him howling backwards. Pterano picked the paralyzed Tricia off the ground and escaped into a crevice in the canyon wall a short distance away. “Follow me!” He called to Spike and Ruby. “Red  Claw!” Chomper stopped in front of Red Claw as he tried to stand back up. He started speaking in Sharptooth. Whatever he said, it made Red Claw snarl angrily. “Run! Run!” Chomper shouted to Petrie and Ducky. “Get to the cave!” Petrie flapped above Ducky and lifted her by the shoulders. Her heavy weight slowed him greatly, but he dropped onto  Littlefoot's back as he ran after the group. He had successfully forced Thud to fall over after making him run in circles to chase him. “They always fall for that trick.” He said jokingly to the exhausted Petrie.. Cera flipped the wounded Guido onto her back and charged past Littlefoot. “NOT SO FAST!” Guido squealed, clutching his injured arm. Chomper at last joined the rest of the group.

Petrie and Ducky looked down at him as he joined Littlefoot at his side. “What did you say to him?” Ducky asked. “Some very bad things.” Chomper said guiltily. Petrie crossed his arms defiantly. “Like what?” He asked. “I said he was a buzzing stinger who smelled like ten Stinky Places.” Petrie screeched at Chomper loudly. “I shall punish you later!” He shouted. Cera barged between the Littlefoot and Chomper.. “Out of the way, my sister's in there!” She shouted. Guido groaned weakly on her back. “My wi-ing.” He moaned, dangling his wing over Cera's side. The crevice got narrower and narrower until they came to a space where it widened, like a bottleneck. It seemed as though the end of the thin passage had just been widened. The chamber was enormous and filled with glistening crystals. There was a small light at the very high ceiling and each stone glistened brightly, adding more light to the dim cave. “Nice hiding place.” Petrie smiled. “There you are!” Ruby pranced over to them. “Pterano was going to see if you were okay, but Spike got stuck in the hole just before you came in!” Ducky giggled. “I am not surprised that Spike got stuck, no, no, no!” Cera sighed. “So he wasn't just saving what he grabbed?” She asked. Ruby shook her head. “Of course not. And Tricia is very, very scared.” Ruby added. Cera gasped. “Tricia! Where is she?” She demanded. “She is with Pterano and Spike in another Shiny Stone cavern.” Ruby said. “Come with me because I know where it is.”
She led them to another cavern, which was very close to the one they had arrived in.

As Ruby had said, Spike and Tricia were safe with Pterano. The old flier was crouched against the wall, with Spike resting next to him. Pterano cradled Tricia consolingly. “There, there, that mean old Sharptooth won't find us here. He doesn't even know about this pretty place.” He crooned altruisticly. “Cewa.” Tricia sniffled. “Oh, don't you worry, I'll find your sister soon, you'll see.” Cera blinked as she took in what she was watching. “Okay, that's one thing I never thought I'd see.” She said with befuddlement. Spike  jumped up with such great excitement that Pterano nearly tipped onto his side. Tricia let out a loud scream as Pterano gasped with surprise. After recovering from his near fall, he held Tricia more comfortingly as she cried more from being startled. Spike let out a loud, gleeful shout and ran over to Littlefoot, where Ducky was preparing to slide off and hug Spike. “Look, Tricia!” Pterano turned the distressed Tricia toward Cera. “There she is.” Tricia looked over Pterano's arm toward her sister and started babbling desperately. “Cewa!” Pterano set her to the ground and allowed Tricia to run over to Cera. “Poor baby was so frightened.” Pterano said with sympathy. Cera nuzzled Tricia happily. “You're okay!” She exclaimed. “Cewa!” Tricia squealed. Guido weakly slid off Cera's back, clutching his injured wing, stumbling as he set foot on the ground. “Owww,” He clutched his wounded arm. “It hurts.” He squeaked. Pterano stood up and counted each youngster as Petrie perched on his shoulder. “Well, we are all here.” They could hear Red Claw's distant roar. “And safe from Red Claw.” Pterano said,  leaning against the wall and put his hands over his eyes with exhaustion.
“If I have to go face-to-face with him one more time...”  
“You ARE scared of Redclaw!” Cera shouted. “I KNEW IT!” Pterano shook his head. “I wasn't scared personally.” He said. “I was scared that he would kill you all.” Pterano put his hand on her back. “Yeah, right!” Cera rolled her eyes. She looked up and saw Pterano's look of apprehension. “Never mind.” Cera mumbled. “Just because he's not afraid of Red Claw, it no mean he's not afraid for us.” Petrie perched on Cera's horn. Pterano nodded in agreement. “That's exactly the way it is.” He said. Guido climbed onto the rock beside Pterano. “Well, I was scared out of my WITS!” He gasped. “And that STUPID Fastbiter hurt my wing!” He lifted his arm. “LOOK AT THAT!” He shouted, almost tearfully. “Let me see.” Pterano observed Guido's wing. There were a several feathers missing and there was an enormous bloody gash on both sides of the wing. The feathers surrounding the bleeding wound were splotched with blood. “Hm.” Pterano tapped his beak. “Well, if you were like me and Petrie, you'd be done for.” He said. “But you're a glider. And your missing feathers can grow back in time.” Pterano said. “LIKE MY TEETH!” Chomper shouted, pointing at his mouth. “Yes, like the little Sharptooth said.” Pterano agreed blandly. “Feathers?” He asked. “They're called feathers?”
Outside, Red Claw and his lackeys roared with irritation. “We'll make a break for it.” Pterano said. “There are several more caverns we can hide in. Since it's getting dark, I know one where we can stay overnight.” He glanced at the nine. “With those three so close, I absolutely won't allow you to go back to the Valley until it is safe to do so.”

The next cavern over was the same as the others, but this one had heat vents along the wall and there were a few fractures extending it. “Ahh, it's nice and warm in here.” Ruby stretched her arms contentedly. “And most importantly, it's safe, if you stay away from the hot places.” Pterano cleared his throat. “Let me see your wing again, Guido.” Guido extended his arm painfully. “It's starting to hurt more and it feels a little hot.” Pterano put his hand on the back of the wing. “It's a nasty wound. Then again, a big Fastbiter did it and their mouths are quite filthy.” Pterano looked around, as if he was counting the youngsters. “I'm going to get something for Guido. You all stay put. You hear me? Stay right where you are! Cera, keep your sister AWAY from the vents” As Pterano left through another chamber, Spike licked Guido's face. “Aww, I'm okay, Spike.” Guido laughed modestly. Cera noticed Tricia galloping toward the vents with curious coos. “Tricia! No!” She ran over and scooped Tricia up with her nose horn. Tricia squealed and giggled with delight. “Did you hear Mr. Pterano? Stay away from the hot spots! Dangerous!” Tricia made a little babble as Cera set her to the ground. Pterano came back carrying some ferns. “Here,” He set some of them on Guido's wing. “Hold those there.” He instructed. “Make sure they cover the damage as much as possible.” He looked at Ruby. “Would you put these on the back of his wing, my dear?” He asked. Ruby nodded. “I will help my friend so that he may be helped.” Ruby took the ferns from Pterano and gently pressed them on the back of Guido's wing. “It's helping a little bit. But it stings. Not like painful stings-although they do hurt-but it's not TOO painful.” Guido shuddered. “The night circle is almost out..” Pterano said. “The sky was dark when I was getting the plants.” He gave warning looks to the group. “This is the best place to stay overnight. In the morning, there's a grove I can take you to so you can eat before your journey back home.” Pterano looked down and saw Tricia yawning widely. “Speaking of staying overnight.” He said.  “We should all be getting to sleep.”

Petrie stretched and made a squawky yawn. “He right.” He said. “I tired.” Pterano laid down against a rock. Petrie yawned again, then nestled under Pterano's wing. “Night, everyone.” He said. Pterano chuckled. “Goodnight, Petrie.” He said. “Spike do you mind if I sleep with Uncle Pterano tonight?” Ducky asked. Spike shook his head. “Uh-uh.” He mumbled. Ducky jumped off his neck walked over to Pterano. “You have kept us all safe. Yep-yep-yep.” She said as she curled into a fetal position beside Petrie, blanketing herself under Pterano's wing. Pterano replied as Petrie nestled up beside Ducky under his wing. Cera paused thoughtfully, then began to walk toward Pterano. “Come on, Tricia.” She beckoned her sister. Cera laid down close to Pterano, near the end of his wing. Pterano watched Tricia patter over to her sister and cuddle up beside her. Spike lumbered beside Tricia, making a warmth barrier between him and Cera. Littlefoot laid down on Cera's other side, and was almost laying on Pterano's wing. Ruby trotted beside Pterano. “Thank you for keeping us safe so that we may be safe.” She smiled gratefully. “I hope that you will come back to the Great Valley safely someday.” She stepped back a little bit, then curled on the ground. “Come, Chomper.” She patted the ground lazily. “Let us get some sleep.” Chomper yawned and laid beside her. “Good night, Ruby.” He said. Guido climbed onto Littlefoot's back and put the ferns between Cera and Littlefoot, then putting his damaged wing over them. “That's better.” He yawned. “To make it better, I'm right next to Pterano in case I need something for my wing.” He mumbled to himself before falling asleep.

Pterano looked at the youngsters beside him and sighed. It was rare for him to have company in the Mysterious Beyond. He would only stay with some groups for so long before splitting off from them. Sometimes it was disheartening to leave. He missed having youngsters to tell tall-tales to at night, or watching eggs hatch at the break of dawn or the setting of the sun. But...in a few months, he would have the chance back more than ever. The prospect of having someone to be with made time pass so much faster. He felt more hopeful and less alone. Remembering what he had and what he once was before the Great Earthshake helped. He looked at Petrie and Ducky. They looked so darling snuggled up together under his wing. He'd never forget that precious sight. Ducky shifted and pulled Pterano's wing closer around her before hugging Petrie's beak. Pterano chuckled. “Good night.” He whispered.

Cera, certain that Pterano was asleep, gave Littlefoot a small jab in the leg with her horn. “Ooch! Cera!” Littlefoot scolded silently. “What's the big deal?” He demanded. “Shh. It's about Pterano.” Cera hissed. “What about him?” Littlefoot leaned close to Cera's head. “Do you think he's up to something?” Cera asked. Littlefoot shook his head. “Not really. Do you?” He asked. “He's so...nice...all of the sudden. It's certainly not the Pterano I remember.” Cera said. Littlefoot sighed. “Cera...he's been in isolation for five cold times. This is the first time he's seen Petrie since he was banished.” He said. “And...five cold times alone gives you a lot of time to think...to change. He knows that every time he's tried to help others, it just got him in big trouble because he did it wrong...like the Stone of Cold Fire and leading that herd.” Cera winced as Littlefoot mention the herd that Pterano had accidentally killed.  Littlefoot looked over at Pterano. “And maybe he's a little lonely.” He said with empathy.  “Any of us would act like he is if we were alone for a long time.” He said. Cera looked at the ground painfully. “I guess you're right. So you're saying that he's trying to do something good...the right way?” She asked softly. She looked remorseful. “Now that I think about it...I guess I would act the same way he is...like you said.” Cera looked at Tricia, who was snuggling against the side of Spike's belly. “But I think he also really cares about us.” Littlefoot said. “You saw him with Petrie when he was banished.” Cera nodded. “Yeah.” She whispered, yawning. “Good night, Littlefoot,”

Meanwhile, in the Great Valley, the parents of the children stood at the Meeting Place. “We could never find them in the Mysterious Beyond!” Mr. Threehorn exclaimed. “I could.” Skip lifted his paw. “But I really can't go at night. It's too dark...too dangerous.” He shook his head. “Oh...” Ducky's mother covered her eyes. “I hope they're alright.” She said with a sob. Mr. Longneck lowered his head. “They are alright. They've been in the Mysterious Beyond more times than we ever had.” He sighed. “But never this long.” He said heavily. Mrs. Flier looked up and stared into the sky. “You'll keep them safe...won't you? You saved them last time.” She whispered. “I don't know what drove them into the Mysterious Beyond this time!” Mr. Threehorn shouted. “And if they don't come back, we'll never know!” Tria sighed at her husband. “I wish there was someone we could count on to be sure they're safe.” She said. Mrs. Flier put her hand on Tria's face consolingly. “There is. I just hope he found them.”

In the morning
The sun began to rise. Ducky woke clutching Petrie's arm. “Good morning, Uncle Pterano.” She yawned. As she felt around her back to pull Pterano's wing over her, she noticed that Pterano was not there.”Huh?” She mumbled. No one else was either, except Guido, who dozed on the rock where Pterano had slept. Guido opened his eyes. “Oh, you're up.” He smiled. “Where is everyone else?” Ducky asked. “Breakfast.” Guido said, stretching his arms. “There's a nice grove near here.” Guido rolled on his back and rubbed his belly. “Those were the best ground crawlers I've EVER eaten.” He said. “And Littlefoot says that the Groundstars are really good too.”  Ducky gasped and shook Petrie. “Petrie! Wake up, there are some very yummy Groundstars nearby!” She said. Petrie pushed her away groggily. “No, Mama, I had a bath yesterday.” He mumbled. Ducky giggled. “Let's go have something to eat, Petrie!” She scooped him over her shoulder and carried him to the exit of the cave. Guido slid off and went after them. “Follow me!”

Guido led them to a nearby grove through yet another cavern, where there was a large bush full of Groundstars. A skylight filtered into the cave, filtering light on top of the bush. The others had gathered around it, and each had a pile of leaves in front of them. “About time you got up.” Littlefoot said. “These Groundstars are really good.” He pulled some off the tree and made a pile for each Ducky and Petrie. “Thank you, Littlefoot!” Ducky and Petrie said at the same time, and dashed to the piles that Littlefoot had made. “Hey, where Pterano and Chomper?” Petrie asked with a beakful of Groundstars. “'Scavenging',” Cera shuddered. “It sounds completely disgusting!” She squinted with repulsion. “What's that?” Ducky asked. “Apparently, it's eating something that's already dead.” Cera explained. “At least, that's how Pterano put it.” She said through a mouthful of Groundstars. Tricia giggled as she pawed a small pile. “Tricia! Don't play with your food!” Cera shouted as Petrie and Ducky looked at each other with disgust. “They eating dead things?” Petrie asked. “I was there for a little while.” Guido said. “Pterano said that sometimes Gliders scavenge. Wasn't too bad for me-I mean for a 'scavenger' it was pretty good-but I like Crawlers better, so I came back here once I had 'scavenged' enough.” Guido grimaced. “He was wondering if Petrie should go along too.” He said. Just as Petrie made a squeal of disgust, Guido said, “But he didn't think he'd like it.”
“Hi, guys!” Chomper came running into the cavern. “Guess what I ate!?” He grinned widely. His teeth were slightly red. The others grimaced. “I ate a dead Bellydragger! It wasn't a full grown Bellydragger, but it was still HUGE! I could see lots of bones and it was really good! Pterano even broke open some of the bones and we ate the bone-meat! IT WAS SO GOOD!” Cera dropped some of her tree-stars. “I think I lost my appetite.”

Pterano landed on a rock by the others. “I apologize for the enthusiastic carnivore.” He said. “I thought it would be best if he experienced something he'd need later in life. It's not like he's going to eat ground crawlers forever.” Chomper grinned at him. “Thanks, Pterano! I like your uncle, Petrie! He's really nice!” Petrie lifted his beak with pride as Chomper babbled. “He is good.” He said proudly. Spike trudged beside Ducky once he had devoured his stack of leaves. “You ate-ed all your Groundstars already, Spike?” Ducky giggled. “I have barely started!” She munched on her leaves. “When you're all finished, I'll show you a shortcut to the Valley.” Pterano said. “It's not far from here and I think your parents are extremely worried about you.” Littlefoot nodded in agreement. “They probably are.” Pterano glanced at Tricia, who continued to prance in her leaves and giggle gleefully. “Now, Tricia, enough of that.” He called.

*Later*
By the time Pterano coaxed Tricia to eat, all the others had finished their breakfast. It was high noon by the time Tricia's leaves were gone. “Now that's over with.” Pterano said, glancing at the giggling baby Threehorn. She was prancing around Cera, alive with energy. “Well, time to get you back home. Your elders should be worried sick at this point.”

*Later*
The sun was high in the sky when Pterano brought the children to a passage into the Great Valley. “This is the way I got here.” Pterano said. “Just go down the path, take a left, and you'll be back in the Valley. There won't be any slopes to climb down. It's just a smooth walk.” Pterano stooped down to Guido, who was on Littlefoot's back. “You remember what those ferns look like?” He asked. Guido nodded. “You can find them in the Great Valley. Use them on your wing until your feathers start growing back.” He said. “Thanks.” Guido smiled. Tricia squealed and ran up to him. “You could be talking a bit more when I see you again.” Pterano rubbed her head. Tricia gurgled happily and wagged her tail. “Cera, you take good care of your little sister.” He leaned close to Cera's ear. “I was a protective older sibling myself.” He whispered. “I still am.” He chuckled. “Really?” Cera asked, looking surprised. “Oh yes. I worry about Petrie's mother all the time.” He said. Cera shrugged. “Maybe we have more in common than I thought.” She said. Ruby tapped his shoulder. “If you ever find my family, will you tell them that I'm alright?” She asked. “Certainly.” Pterano crossed his heart. “Um...thanks for watching us.” Littlefoot cleared his throat. “It was my pleasure to do so,” Pterano replied. Spike lumbered over Pterano. “Goodbye, Spike.” Pterano said. Spike smiled and licked Pterano across the face. “Um...” Pterano patted Spike's neck. “I'll...miss you too.” Spike giggled lightly. Chomper slowly approached. “I...guess I'll see you later?” Pterano put his hand on Chomper's back. “Yes, young lad.” He said. “When I get back, I'll try to tell you as much as I can about what I found out about Red Claw. The Valley will need it.” Petrie jumped off Ruby's shoulder and hugged Pterano tightly. “I love you, Uncle,” He sniffled. “As do I, dear nephew.” Pterano covered Petrie with his wing and embraced him. “I shall miss you very, very much!” Ducky nestled up to Pterano's wing.. Ruby nuzzled his shoulder. “I just don't want to leave you alone.” She said. “You must be very lonely sometimes.” She said. Pterano sighed. “Indeed so, my dear child.” He said. “But you see, I've only got a few Night Circle cycles left. The fourth time the Night Circle is full, I'll be back to haunt Mr. Threehorn.” The youngsters-even Cera-laughed at his comment. Petrie reluctantly let go of Pterano and flew onto Cera's frill. “I'll keep an  eye out from high up.” He said, taking final glances at each of the children. “Farewell.” The children watched him fly off. “Well. There he goes. Let's get going.” Cera marched forward.

*Later still*
Pterano watched their arrival back home from a safe distance. For him, a “safe distance” meant the very top of a cliff where hardly anyone could see him. The children had taken his directions as he expected. Within a few minutes, they were back in the Valley and running to their elders.

The parents and gaurdians of the children heard them calling them wildly. They had gathered in the Great Arch, trying to devise a plan to rescue the children. “Littlefoot! Where were you!? We were so worried!” Grandma Longneck exclaimed as Littlefoot ran up to her and Grandpa Longneck, with Guido on his back. The others split off to their parents, and Ruby and Chomper stood with Littlefoot. “We've been in the Mysterious Beyond with Petrie's uncle!” Chomper exclaimed. “WHAT?!” Mr. Threehorn shouted. “What do you mean by that?!” He demanded. “Exactly what Chomper said.” Littlefoot stuttered. “What were you doing in the Mysterious Beyond?!” Mr. Threehorn shouted. “Saving Tricia.” Cera replied quickly. “WHAT!?” Mr. Threehorn's tone got loudly. Tricia made a squeaky wail, which caused Mr. Threehorn to flinch and soften his voice. “So...how did you find Pterano?”

Ruby stepped up. “We were going into the Mysterious Beyond to save Tricia. But Pterano saved her when she fell off a high cliff.” She explained. “And then he got us out of the open! And he saved us from Red Claw and took care of us at night!” Chomper blurted. “RED CLAW?!” The nine staggered back. Mrs. Flier looked up at the cliff. She saw Pterano at the top. “Yes, he kept them safe.” She said. “Besides, Mr. Threehorn, he'll be coming back soon. I would suggest you come up with a proper way to thank him for saving your daughters.” Grandpa Longneck said. Tria smiled. “Well, I will certainly thank him.” She said. “Now children, I'm sure your all very tired and hungry.” Grandma Longneck said. Littlefoot and the gang glanced at each other, unsure of what to say. “That's okay, Grandma. We've already eaten.” Littlefoot said. Grandpa Longneck chuckled. “He did take good care of you.” He said. “I should hope that Pterano has learned his lesson now and that he can be trustworthy.” He said. “After what he just did for us, I would say so. If he hadn't been there, Tricia would have...” Cera gulped and shifted close to Tricia defensively. “We all wouldn't be here.” She said.

“We are a little tired, though.” Guido said. “And I need some ferns for my wing. Pterano said they'd help.” Guido lifted his injured wing to show the grown ups what had happened. “Oh dear.” Mrs. Flier examined his wing. “You'll have to ride on my back to get to the nest. Then I'll get you what you need.”
And so the children went their separate ways with their families for well-needed rests.  

One Week Later
Cera yawned and rubbed her forehead. It felt funny and she had tight pains in her forehead. She stretched and drowsily walked over to the watering hole. Others looked at her with surprise. “G...good morning, Cera.” Ducky's mother blinked. “What's everyone looking at me for?” Cera looked at her reflection in the water. Something was different. Small horns sprouted over her eye ridges. Cera gasped, then bucked on her back feet with a joyful whoop that could be heard from all over the Valley.
“HE WAS RIGHT!!!”
~~~
I doubt Pterano would have much of a problem with looking after just Petrie and his first four friends, but add Ruby, Chomper, Guido, AND Tricia  :lol !
Lemmie tell you, I had to work on the Red Claw scene for a REALLY long time to get it where it is. Several scenes were a lot different, for example, I had them all come into the cave one by one and have Spike last and get stuck. But that dragged the story, so I used it being mentioned for humor effect.

Look out for more work!

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Since it's been quite a while, I think I might load a version of Ptyra's arrival at the Great Valley, taken from The Great Valley Rebellion.

It was morning in the Great Valley. The previous morning, the herds of both Ali and Bron arrived to visit the Valley. Littlefoot and his friends (with the exception of Ruby and Chomper, who were helping Guido to babysit Tricia) had gone off to play with Ali, Shorty, and Rhett at the Waterfalls. Littlefoot's grandparents, Cera's family, various inhabitants of the Great Valley, and the herds of Bron and the Wise One had congregated at a large group of trees, enjoying breakfast together. “Mr. Threehorn, it seems that we have unexpected guests.” Grandpa Longneck said, looking away from the tree he was eating from. “Hmm?” Mr. Threehorn gulped down the grasses he had in his mouth. “Is it a big herd?” He asked. “It doesn't look like it.” Grandpa Longneck said. “There's a big longneck, but all the others are small. Two of them are fliers. I'd say there's about five of them.” He said. “Well,” Mr. Threehorn sighed. “We'd better go.” He said. Grandpa Longneck chuckled. “No need for that, they're on their way to this spot.” He said. And just as he said, the group arrived. It consisted of an aging Small Skyreacher Longneck, a slightly tubby Whistling Swimmer, a baby Domehead, a Glider just like Guido, a Leaper, a Crested Flier. “Greetings,” Grandpa Longneck said to them. “Welcome to our Valley.” He said. “I am sure you have come a long way.” He smiled. “You won't believe how far each of us have come.” The flier said with a forced chuckle. Mr. Threehorn squinted his eyes at her suspiciously. She looked exactly like a very young Pterano, with the exception of that her eyes were green.

“I am Ptyra, leader of this small and humble herd.” Ptyra extended her wings and dipped her beak down. “This is Crash, my foster-child,” She gestured to the baby Domehead that stood beside her. “My second-in-command is Theo.” She looked up at the Whistling Swimmer, who made a small bow with his head. “My small feathered friend is Gabby.” The navy blue Glider rushed in front of her. Ptyra then put her hand on the arm of the Egg Eater beside her. “This is Strut, one of my oldest comrades.” An old Small Skyreacher Longneck cleared her throat. “Pala, who joined us after the loss of her herd.” Ptyra looked at the Leaper, who was the tiniest member of the herd. “This is our newest member, Topus. I saved him from a tar pit and he came with us in thanks.” Topus swished his tail, and looked up at the giants around him, trying his best to look calm and collected. “I also wanted to live in a safer place.” He spoke with a high tenor voice.  

“Hmph. She looks like Pterano. Far too much. She even has that same ridiculous accent!” Mr. Threehorn huffed. “I should think so; I'm his daughter.” Ptyra said casually, folding her wings. “Great.” Mr. Threehorn grumbled sarcastically. “Another one.” Ptyra crossed her arms tightly with a raised brow. “Another one what?” She asked. “Was your herd bigger before this?!” Mr. Threehorn demanded. “Actually, it was much smaller-just me and Crash.” Ptyra said, looking confused. Mr. Threehorn snorted and stomped away. “Well, THAT was rude!” Pala exclaimed when he was out of sight. “How typical of Threehorns!” She huffed. “Pala!” Ptyra scolded. “Save your prejudice for another event,” She looked back to the Longnecks. “My apologies.” She said. It was clear that Ptyra was trying to be polite to her welcomers-and Grandpa Longneck seemed impressed. “Oh no, excuse Mr. Threehorn.” Grandpa Longneck said. “He has some hard feelings for Pterano.”  He said. “I assumed as much.” Ptyra said.

Ruby ran up to greet the group with Chomper behind her. “Hello. My name is Ruby. I am meeting you because I would like to meet you.” She said. Ptyra nodded. “Thank you for your hospitality.” She said. “And this is Chomper. He is a Sharptooth, but he is a nice Sharptooth.” Ruby gestured to Chomper, who approached shyly. “Hello.” He said quietly. Topus hopped in front of Chomper and chattered something. Chomper smiled and began growling. They exchanged growls and chatters, ignoring the confused glances of their company. Once the chattering ended, Chomper grinned. “It's good to meet you, Topus!” He said loudly. “You two, Chomper.” Topus nodded. Ruby clasped her hands together. “Oh, you must meet my friends!” She said. “I am sure they will like you!” Ptyra smiled. “I do hope so.” She said.
~~~~
There we go. I beleive this is version four of Ptyra's arrival. First she arrived alone, then she arrived with just Crash, then her herd that had Murel the Mussasaurus instead of Pala the Paluxysaurus, and then this version.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Ugh…Took me long enough, didn’t it? :rolleyes I’m so sorry about the wait. :oops

I thought this was a VERY good story. :yes Extremely well-written, and all in all your portrayal of the characters was very accurate. And you managed the awe-inspiring feat of writing a story with TEN central characters, and yet still giving each and every one of them plenty of lines and opportunities to contribute to the storyline. :wow

I decided that I couldn’t write this without putting a word in for Guido. I thought you portrayed him very well, and I liked how you gave him repeated lines in which he starts talking about a subject, and soon begins to ramble, repeatedly interrupting himself and starting off on a new tangent within the topic, or attempting to reword what he has said already. Not only is that how he sometimes talks in the twelfth movie, but it reminds me of how I talk sometimes. :lol There really need to be more fanfics with Guido in them. :rolleyes:

I love how you had numerous moments where members of the gang say and do things that one typically wouldn’t expect them to (while still not behaving out-of-character):

ï Petrie has an outburst directed at Cera, which Cera flinches from, and subsequently appears borderline apologetic.

ï Cera emphatically thanks Pterano for saving Tricia, even after she recognizes him.

ï Ducky makes a sarcastic remark.

ï Littlefoot and Cera physically fight back against Screech and Thud to save Guido.

ï Petrie gets angry at Chomper.

You also did an incredible job with the emotion in the scenes where Pterano is comforting Tricia and otherwise showing concern for the gang, and when Cera and Littlefoot are discussing why he is acting that way. I have to say, I was thinking myself that this was a side of Pterano we hadn’t seen much of before, and it might have come off as out of character for him before the others brought it up (not to mention the backstory you devised for Pterano ;)). The goodbye scene was great as well.

I’ve never personally seen the “Phonofoot” thing, but I caught the reference you made to it early in the story. :p

I really liked how you wrote the scene where Chomper is introduced to Pterano. That’s how I’d expect a meeting between Chomper and a leafeater would go, and I’m disappointed that the TV series didn’t have any scenes like it.

I also liked the part where Pterano described his experiences with Red Claw, and unknowingly reveals that he witnessed the events of “The Gave of Many Voices”. Ducky’s reaction was great. :lol You don’t often see her being sarcastic.

Personally, I think you have a good rationale for Red Claw’s behavior: that he’s essentially a bully who wants to be powerful, but is in fact rather cowardly, and that his reputation as “the biggest, meanest sharptooth of all” is just that: a reputation. :p

To be honest, I expected Petrie would be a bit more surprised initially to find out that Pterano had seen him on the Day of the Flyers. Personally, I think Pterano should have given a little more explanation, such as that he watched the performance from The Great Wall. Still, the Day of the Flyers is definitely the kind of thing that one would expect Petrie to talk to Pterano about, so I like the fact that you brought it up. :yes

Another funny part: when Guido latches on to Pterano’s leg out of fear of Red Claw, and a moment later Pterano tells him to let go, and eventually has to pull him off. :lol

“What did you say to him?” Ducky asked. “Some very bad things.” Chomper said guiltily. Petrie crossed his arms defiantly. “Like what?” He asked. “I said he was a buzzing stinger who smelled like ten Stinky Places.” Petrie screeched at Chomper loudly. “I shall punish you later!” He shouted.
Again, :lol. Although, why exactly is Petrie so irritated with Chomper? :confused Does he have something against profanity? Or does he blame Chomper for getting Red Claw to chase after them?

I think I did the reading version of a double take when Skip’s presence at the Meeting Place was mentioned. :lol I suppose he does live in the valley now, but still, it’s a bit of a surprise to see him interacting with the adult dinosaurs. (I think this is only the second LBT fanfic I’ve ever read that has Skip in it, the first being Caustizer’s Rise of Storm Tide.

I don’t think this would be the longest time the gang has ever been out in the Mysterious Beyond, though; by the time of the meeting scene, it’s been less than a night, hasn’t it? We know for certain that they were gone longer than that in LBT VII and XIII, and in IX they were traveling outside the valley with Mo for several days (though I suppose their families didn’t know exactly where they were).

“I was there for a little while.” Guido said. “Pterano said that sometimes Gliders scavenge. Wasn't too bad for me-I mean for a 'scavenger' it was pretty good-but I like Crawlers better, so I came back here once I had 'scavenged' enough.” Guido grimaced. “He was wondering if Petrie should go along too.” He said. Just as Petrie made a squeal of disgust, Guido said, “But he didn't think he'd like it.”

“Hi, guys!” Chomper came running into the cavern. “Guess what I ate!?” He grinned widely. His teeth were slightly red. The others grimaced. “I ate a dead Bellydragger! It wasn't a full grown Bellydragger, but it was still HUGE! I could see lots of bones and it was really good! Pterano even broke open some of the bones and we ate the bone-meat! IT WAS SO GOOD!” Cera dropped some of her tree-stars. “I think I lost my appetite.”
This whole section was hilarious. :lol (Though those should be ground-stars that Cera dropped, not tree-stars.)

Pterano seems to know a lot about gliders. I wonder how he learned so much about them, when no one in the valley even knew what Guido was.

By the way, is it just me, or has Petrie’s grammar subtly improved in this story?:
ï “Well, my Uncle Pterano knows a flier--”

ï “I hope he's okay.”

ï “Me haven't seen him at all in Mysterious Beyond when we go. But it is big place.”

ï “How about a real story?”

ï “I shall punish you later!”

ï “Just because he's not afraid of Red Claw, it no mean he's not afraid for us.”

ï “I tired.”

ï “No, Mama, I had a bath yesterday.”

ï “I love you, Uncle,”
=Of course, the last one’s not much of a surprise, given the similarity of the context in which Petrie utters it to the scene at the end of LBT VII.

I did take note of spelling, grammar and punctuation errors while reading the story; hopefully I didn’t go overboard. :unsure: As I usually do when writing long reviews, I compiled the bulk of them after I’ve made all the comments, but it made the review so long that I had to split them up. First, here are a few general observations regarding potential improvements to your story, and some non-grammar/spelling/punctuation errors:

Something I noticed about your writing style is that when a character speaks, you end the line with a period, and then continue on to state who is speaking, as in the following example:
“Well, those stories are kind of interesting.” Littlefoot said.
Most writers I know use a comma in place of that period, since technically it’s not the end of the sentence. I know some others do use this method, and I guess it’s a matter of personal preference. The issue is that when you have multiple characters speaking one after another, it becomes difficult for the reader to tell whether one speaker has finished his/her statement and a new character is speaking, or if the speaker is continuing his/her previous statement (They’ll find out, of course, if and when it is stated that a new character is speaking, but it still causes confusion). Other than replacing the periods with commas, the solution would be to start a new paragraph whenever a different character speaks (This might even be the better option, because it would also eliminate the “is the speaker finished” problem caused by exclamation points and question marks, which CAN’T be exchanged for commas).

Sorry that this isn’t a very specific correction, but since you capitalize the species names of the dinosaurs, such as “Sharptooth”, “Fastbiter”, “Glider”, and “Longneck”, you should do the same with “flier”.

In the first scene at the beginning of the story, I would suggest that you list specifically who is present, so that readers are aware that Chomper, Ruby, Guido, and Tricia are present as well as the original gang.

A continuity mistake I spotted: Petrie implies that Pterano’s exile will be up in a few more months, but later, when the gang meet him, he says that it’s been only three cold times since he last saw them.

Also when the gang is talking about Pterano at the beginning, Ducky says “saved-ed”, but when they meet Pterano, she says “you saved-ed-ed Tricia like you saved-ed-ed me!”. Would this count as inconsistent speech patterns, or is Ducky simply going crazy with the “ed”’s because she is excited?

Pterano flew lower and lower until he could fly around Red Claw's ankle and force him to fall over.
I just found this sentence confusing for some reason. It wasn’t clear to me what exactly Pterano was doing. :confused Is the idea that Pterano is flying back and forth beneath the reach of Red Claw’s jaws, and then flies low to the ground around Red Claw, causing him to lose his balance as he grabs for him? Also, the wording (particularly the word “could”, and the fact that you used “force” instead of  “forced”) gave me the impression that it was future tense, like a plan was being described rather than Pterano actually performing the action. I’d suggest changing the sentence to more specifically describe Pterano’s trick and change it to past tense.

ï “On the night the Far Walkers came, I saw a strange falling rock-it was blue and it flew real low to the ground.”

ï “It turned out that the falling rock I saw could have been a Stone of Cold Fire-something that could have great power!

ï “It's helping a little bit. But it stings. Not like painful stings-although they do hurt-but it's not TOO painful.”

ï “Pterano said that sometimes Gliders scavenge. Wasn't too bad for me-I mean for a 'scavenger' it was pretty good-but I like Crawlers better, so I came back here once I had 'scavenged' enough.”

ï The youngsters-even Cera-laughed at his comment.
In all of these sentences, the highlighted hyphen(s) should be either two hyphens or an em dash (ó).

ï They were suddenly cornered by Screech and Claw, who backed them against the wall, snarling aggressively.

ï While Red Claw was on the ground, Pterano swooped over Screech and Claw.

ï Littlefoot swatted Claw with his tail to distract him.
Don’t you mean Thud?

ï He had successfully forced Thud to fall over after making him run in circles to chase him.

ï “Feathers?” He asked. “They're called feathers?”

ï “I'll keep an eye out from high up.” He said, taking final glances at each of the children.
Three cases in which I think you should specify who is talking: Littlefoot in the first, Guido in the second, and Pterano in the third.

Tricia's savior was a flier-a male with a long brown crest, scarlet body, and pale belly. Despite the fact that this flier had a more acute body and looked stronger than * the first time they ** met him, they knew who he was.
Another instance of a hyphen that should be two hyphens (towards the beginning of the first sentence). Also, while not necessarily mistakes, there are a couple of unusual word choices in this quote that I just wanted to bring up:
#1: Personally, I’ve always seen Pterano as orange or reddish-brown rather than scarlet.
#2: What meaning were you trying to convey with the word “acute”? :confused
*Insert “he had”.
**Insert “had”.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Okey-dokes, here are the rest of the errors I found:

The Great Valley's day had been ordinary so far, at least as “ordinary” as it could get. There wasn't a natural disaster or enemy threatening them, so all was fine.
If you’re talking about the valley, this should be “it”. Otherwise you could change it to “the dinosaurs”, OR the first sentence to “The dinosaurs of the Great Valley had had an ordinary day so far.”

Guido sighed with relief, as he was about to save Tricia himself, but would have to struggle to lower her to the ground safely.
Change “was” to “had been” and “have” to “have had”.

“You okay!” Petrie cried. “I told you I would*.” Pterano replied with a laugh.
*Insert “be”.

“So, Old Threehorn has a new wife, does he?” Pterano smiled with amusement.
Just my opinion: “mate” would be a more LBT-appropriate word choice than “wife”.

“Longnecks grow fast.” Littlefoot said modestly
Minor one here. There’s no period at the end of the sentence.

“I'm still not sure what the brute's up to.” He said. “But he loves to make his presence known!” He said. “And each time I see him, he is near the Great Valley.” He said. “So I have to lure him away.”
I don’t think I need to explain this one. :lol Get rid of a couple of those, will ya? :p

The others looked from where Red Claw's roar came. came.
This should be “in the direction from which Red Claw's roar had come”. And don’t forget to delete the extra word.

Pterano took to the air, exposing the Chomper, Ducky, Petrie and Tricia.
Delete “the”.

He crooned altruisticly.
I had to look this up, but apparently it’s spelled “altruistically”. It’s a good word, though. I like that you used it. :)

There were a several feathers missing and there was an enormous bloody gash on both sides of the wing.
Delete “a”.

Littlefoot laid down on Cera's other side, and was almost laying on Pterano's wing.
Should be “lay” and “lying”, respectively.

Cera winced as Littlefoot mention the herd that Pterano had accidentally killed.
The best correction for this would probably be “at Littlefoot’s mention of”.

A skylight filtered into the cave, filtering light on top of the bush.
Maybe this should be “opened”?

The parents and gaurdians of the children heard them calling them wildly.
Should be “guardians”.

Whew! With the comments and corrections combined, this could be one of the longest single reviews I’ve ever written! :blink: I’ll review your story excerpt as well, just not tonight today. :p

Again, this was a fantastic story! I would have loved to see it as a real episode (though I’m guessing that Universal would say there’s not enough of a “climax” at the end :rolleyes). You’re at least as good a writer as you are an artist, Ptyra. I’m very eager to see more of your work. :yes

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Indeed, that was a long review!
I'm really glad you pointed out all my grammar mistakes, as I'm right about to be in a college-level reading class  :DD . I didn't realize I made so many XD !

Petrie's irritation at Chomper would kind of equivalent to a "conservative" person flipping out at a really nasty insult, with more than one swear word in it, so it was the profanity that he was angry with.

I did have to change Pterano's time in the Mysterious Beyond to a few months, but I guess I missed one date change.

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you liked it :DD !

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So, I've had ideas for a Doctor Who/LBT crossover.
One of my theories about the Rainbow Faces is that they're the Doctor and a companion. Given that they seem to have a kind of protocol, I'd say either Romana or River. But I just have "Tracey". All I really think about her is that she's a dinosaur archaeologist or something like that.
Following the Stone of Cold Fire, the Doctor ends up having to abduct Pterano, similar to how he abducted Ian and Barbara in The Unearthly Child.

And here is what I've written of Pterano standing in the TARDIS for the first time.

The Pteranodon was frozen in place, leaning backwards with his eyes bugged wide open.
“Is there something you need to say?”
The Doctor smirked as the Pteranodon started to shake.
“It’s…it’s…” He stuttered.
“Yes?” The Doctor tilted his head, waiting for the inevitable ëfirst comment’ about the TARDIS.
“It’s bigger on the inside!” The Pteranodon practically shouted.
“That it is!” The Doctor beamed.
“Do you have any other questions?” He gave an encouraging wave of a claw.
“How?!” The Pteranodon grasped the railing behind him, stooping over and clutching his chest.
“This can’t be possible! There’s no logic about it!”

“Yes there is.” The Doctor swished his tail.
“Then explain it!” The Pteranodon flustered.
“I think you need a moment to settle before we tell you.” Tracey drawled, touching the Doctor’s shoulder to keep him from going off.
“Now…you were in the Farwalker herd. Your name is Pterano, is that correct?” The Doctor began after clearing his throat.
The Pteranodon slowly nodded.
“You can call me ëDoctor’.” The Doctor gestured to his companion.
“And this is Tracey.”
Pterano swallowed. “Doctor and Tracey?” He raised a bony brow.
“What sort of names are those?”
“What sort of name is Pterano?” The Doctor challenged.
Pterano fell against one of the lounge-like seats, clearly starting to give up.
“This will all have been a dream when I wake up.” He pointed at the Doctor fiercely.
“I would prepare for disappointment.” The Doctor teased with a smile.
Pterano glowered for a moment and then curled on the lounge, falling asleep quickly.

“Shall we get a move on or wait until he wakes up?” The Doctor asked.
“Doctor, that will be too harsh on him.” Tracey replied sourly.
“Hm…I suppose you’re right.” The Doctor nodded in agreement.
“We’ll wait for him to wake up and then…see where we can go in this universe. I wonder what Skaro’s like in this time and universe. We might get lucky and find the common ancestor between the Thals and Kaleds.” The Doctor perked with a bit of excitement. “Oh! Or the Sense Sphere and Ood Sphere! Perhaps those races have an ancestral planet in common!” The Doctor started to babble on with fresh energy. Pterano eventually shot up.
“Will you be quiet, I’m trying to sleepó” He glanced around at his surroundings and scowled.
“Oh, eggshells!” He swore, laying back down and looking extremely cross.

~~~

It was fairly difficult to get the characterizations right. The Rainbowfaces/Doctor and Tracey were incredibly hard to work with. And it was also hard to come up with a realistic reaction for Pterano to have about the TARDIS. Especially given his personality and having just been banished.

I might do another one at some point where the Doctor explains to Pterano that he can't go back in time and fix what happened to the herd he tried to lead, or any of the wrongs he did. That would be a very interesting thing for them to discuss.

Also, I also imagine a Doctor Who/Land Before Time/Dinotopia crossover. My cup of geekiness doth overflow. I feel very bad for Pterano in that kind of a situation though  :lol

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I KNEW THE RAINBOWFACES WERE REALLY THE DOCTOR AND COMPANION IN DISGUISE!!
IknewitIknewit!! lol sorry. Nice start, interesting crossover and I like your writing style, very simplistic and to the point :DD
Ohhh, just got an idea, could i do fanart of this? I can totally picture this in my head so clearly^^
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You sure can :)
I sort of imagine the TARDIS interior has a nice prehistoric look to it, or even something Dinotopian.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I actually considered doing a Dinotopia/LBT crossover XD which would be epic, esp. if Zippo's involved^^
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein