The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfictions

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I started on a fanfic yesterday I've edited a lot of the details since then. I still have some stuff to edit before I'll post it.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Apr 3 2010 on  01:18 PM
The point I am getting at is even the most outlandish plots and ideas for a story can work if they are written well.
I understand your reasoning Serris; my only real point was that without good characters and plots, stories are essentially meaningless. Weapons and tactics are pretty cool, but without real, dynamic characters behind them, who really cares?

I also agree with Malte on the violence issue, at least to a point. Violence without purpose, consequence, or meaning is fine for cheap summer flicks, but is just pointless in text format. In addition, there are just some forms of violence that I don't think mix with LBT. I know that sounds hypocritical due to the fact that I am writing a Star Wars/LBT crossover, which automatically has a certain level of violence in it (hence the Wars :lol: ), but there's even a violence boundary in the world of Star Wars. I can't really describe it well, but it's there, and I know it is because at times it has been crossed. The New Jedi Order books and Dark Empire comics are proof of that.

I guess why I'm posting this is to try and explain how I really feel about the fanfiction being produced these days. I'm not trying to anger anyone; it's just my opinion. Nobody takes it seriously, and in a way that's good, mostly because I'll end up saying something moronic sooner or later. :rolleyes:  I really feel like I'm on the fence here: I don't really prefer the "pure" LBT stuff that much, and yet some of the war fics really don't strike my fancy. I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I'm just trying to explain how I feel about the whole thing.

Am I making any sense?

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: jedi472,Apr 3 2010 on  09:15 PM
Violence without purpose, consequence, or meaning is fine for cheap summer flicks, but is just pointless in text format.

I agree with you...to a point.

I am okay with LBT fics containing levels of violence equal to Latias' Journey BUT with the stipulation that it makes sense in context of the story. Thus war stories (unless they are badly written) are pretty much exempt. But "slasher stories" (two rather infamous LBT slasher stories exist, one written by a member on the forum) are not really inline with LBT.

I don't really prefer the "pure" LBT stuff that much, and yet some of the war fics really don't strike my fancy.

Which war fics? There are only 7 LBT war stories in existence:

Twilight Valley
Heinous
The Great Valley Rebellion
Shadows of the Future - the LBT technothriller that was mentioned on this very topic.
War of the Worlds
Remnants
LBT Future Wars - Twilight Valley spin off with science fiction slant.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm not going to name any fic in particular, though I'll admit I was mistaken about how many existed. I really don't see what you mean with the violence thing, though. Did you mean the war stories are exempt from violence limits, or did you mean that, because they are war fics, all violence therefore makes sense?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: jedi472,Apr 3 2010 on  11:21 PM
I really don't see what you mean with the violence thing, though. Did you mean the war stories are exempt from violence limits, or did you mean that, because they are war fics, all violence therefore makes sense?
War stories are pretty much exempt from violence limits for obvious reasons.

Also, pretty much ANY form of violence goes as war tends to bring out the worst in the fighters.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Apr 3 2010 on  10:07 PM
Which war fics? There are only 7 LBT war stories in existence:

Twilight Valley
Heinous
The Great Valley Rebellion
Shadows of the Future - the LBT technothriller that was mentioned on this very topic.
War of the Worlds
Remnants
LBT Future Wars - Twilight Valley spin off with science fiction slant.
There's anotherórelatively newóLBT war story on FanFiction.net, titled Silver, in which Ichy is one of the main protagonists. :blink: Some might consider Out of the Shadows a war fic as well, though Darkhououmon herself doesn't.

I also seem to remember some other stories on FanFiction.net involving wars in LBT, though I can’t remember their names, and most of them have either been removed or were so poorly written that I didn’t bother to read them.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
There are many LBT war fanfics out there, but there are even more non-violent LBT fanfics too. Personally, I believe that every fanfic, expect for the ones bashing LBT, deserve to be praised. The writers spend their own valuable time trying to keep us entertained with whatever stories they conceive, and we should always be thankful for their efforts. Also, to the critics out there, no one is making you read these stories, and we're not charging you money or anything. Appreciate whatever fanfic is out there. Since you can not change what the authors wrote, you might as well learn to appreciate it.  :lol

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Silver is actually a rather cool story. Strangely enough, I only found out that it was a war story recently.

To me, Out of the Shadows is not quite a war story.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Serris,Apr 4 2010 on  12:29 AM
To me, Out of the Shadows is not quite a war story.
When I wrote it and even after I finished it, it never crossed my mind to think of Out of the Shadows as a war fic. It was on TV Tropes that someone had referred to it as a war fic, and in some ways, I agree, since the story involves a massive battle with distinct factions with the Great Valley as the battlefield. So it could be classified as a war fic. But I personally would label it as a dark fic more than a war fic.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dima02,Apr 3 2010 on  11:17 PM
There are many LBT war fanfics out there, but there are even more non-violent LBT fanfics too. Personally, I believe that every fanfic, expect for the ones bashing LBT, deserve to be praised. The writers spend their own valuable time trying to keep us entertained with whatever stories they conceive, and we should always be thankful for their efforts. Also, to the critics out there, no one is making you read these stories, and we're not charging you money or anything. Appreciate whatever fanfic is out there. Since you can not change what the authors wrote, you might as well learn to appreciate it.  :lol
Dima02, I may not be spending money when I read someone's fanfic, but I am spending something which some consider even more valuable: time. If I spend my time reading someone's work, I should have the right to form my own opinion about it, whether that opinion is positive or negative. I am thankful that people write fanfiction, but not to the point that I praise anything they type out. Appreciation and praise must be earned, not expected. Criticism is the only thing that should be expected, but the important thing to remember is that the criticisms are only given by others so that one may improve his or her work.

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
^ :exactly I completely agree. Feedback should always be appreciated. Criticism, as long as it's constructive and helpful, will help out the writer. Sorry for the confusing and misleading wording, but all that I was trying to say was that we should appreciate all the great fanfics out there.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Gotcha. For a second there I was like, "Wait, what?". :lol:

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
UPDATE ON THE GREAT VALLEY REBELLION
This is no longer a "war fanfiction" necessarily. It became to complicated for me. So I did something completely different, with some themes staying the same.

Ruby learns that her family has been taken hostage by Red Claw. She leaves with Chomper to find the place called The Place of Great Winds, where her family is being kept. Littlefoot and the original Gang go after them. On the way, they meet a group of dinosaurs who are on their way to the Valley...and remind the Gang VERY much of themselves. They are just about the same age as the Gang in the original film, and are even similar types of dinosaurs (Though, all I have so far is Tapejara, Styracosaurus, and Amargasaurus). The youngsters join the Gang on their way to finding Ruby and Chomper, as they have passed through The Place of Great Winds.

Meanwhile, Ali leads Shorty, Rhett, Tricia, Guido, and the former bullies to go after the Gang and meet Mo along the way. And Mo has news of what Red Claw is up to and exactly where the Gang is.

Several adults of the Valley come to their senses and go after the children, realizing that they must take action when the Valley is under threat, rather than stand around while their own children act more adult than they do.

Wiiillllld goose chase ahoy! I have some themes of the original version, such as Ptyra and her herd arriving and overthrowing Red Claw. But there's still going to be a ton that's different from the original.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I should have the next "Blackclaw" chapter up by Friday or else by the weekend. I'm hoping to make this one longer than the other chaps thus far.

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm working on my next story right now.  It should be done in a couple of days.

It's time for Petrie and Ducky to have a hatchling.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Revenge III is progressing, if not slowly, because of school work and such. I'll feel proud of myself once I've finished this story, because I'll have written out my first trilogy of fanfics :D

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
My next story is now under construction.  In this one, Chomper goes on a journey to discover what he is, and of course he'll bring along his sister Terana and her friend Bambo.

I'll try to have the prologue done by the end of the week.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Is it just me or is this section of the site getting more and more abandoned with each passing month?  There are a lot of good stories that haven't been updated or shown decent progress.

On that note though I have been thinking about continuing my Future Wars story lately, and once Far Away Home is done I may start adding too it again.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Hopefully, I'll get more of Chapter one done by the summer. Right now, I can't seem to think of anything else for that chapter.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I haven't been working on Heinous recently, partly because of the online course I took and soon I'll be taking another. The other reason is lack of ideas of how to continue the story. I'll try to continue soon.