The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What are you reading?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
'The Horse, the Wheel, and Language' by David W. Anthony

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
The Road to Damascus by John Ringo

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I have several series of books waiting to be read. I've started with Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Still only on the first book but I haven't had much time, or motivation, to read much. I'll probably jump into the Remants series afterwards, or maybe A Song of Ice and Fire. I don't know. We'll see.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
"Human, All Too Human" by Friedrich Nietzsche

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Read these books during my holiday:

Stephen King - The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (a lovely novel. Try to write a story with only one character in it and you know what I'm getting at)

Sebastian Fitzek - NOAH (pretty cool thriller ^^)

Glenn Meade - Axis of Evil (deals with a possible gas attack of Al-Qaida. Very exciting yet horrifying to imagine this could happen any day anywhere  :unsure: )

Gayle Forman - If I Stay (HIGHLY recommended! Maybe you've seen the movie already? Well, it's a VERY emotional book. I warned you!)
Inactive, probably forever.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I just got three non-fiction books from my college library.
One is "Autism's False Prophets", which focuses on the bad science and hysteria to "cure" Autism. I like how the author has compared the present freakout and horribly dangerous attempts for cures to the same panic as Polio at the start of the 1930's. The other is a maternity prenatal guide for natural pregnancy. No, guys, I swear to you, I am not pregnant  :lol . But I like learning about these things way ahead of time, because that's the way I intend to go.

Also, a book about cats and cat behavior to better improve coexistence with household cats.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
At the moment I'm in the process of reading Anne McCafferey's The White Dragon for the hundredth. The third instalment of The Dragon Riders of Pern series.
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I'm currently reading the first novel in the "Hyperion" series by Dan Simmons, who happens to be my dad's favourite science fiction author. I like it alright so far. :)
Quote from: Serris,Sep 2 2014 on  05:15 PM
The Road to Damascus by John Ringo
So, how did you like it? I had a bad experince with Ringo, I'm afraid. Picked up a book of his at Dubai airport - "The Hot Gate" - and to this day it's one of the worst Sci-Fi works I had read. :(

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
Reading two books over my spring break:

Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment (James Patterson)
Thirteen Reasons Why (Jay Asher)

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm currently reading Stephen King's "From a Buick 8".

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

fanciful_flyer

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://https://reia73.wordpress.com/
Lately I've been re-reading some Dinotopia books - the ones not written by James Gurney. There are still a few more I want to get, but some of them are surprisingly hard to find (I've had the most luck on Amazon.) I love Dinotopia so much; I just wish it got more attention. -_-

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Did you read the ones written by Alan Dean Foster ("Dinotopia Lost" and "Hand of Dinotopia") Rachel? Those who are really good.
There are many others which I found to be of somewhat mixed quality (none really bad, but I don't recall having been utterly taken with one of them either).

fanciful_flyer

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://https://reia73.wordpress.com/
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 4 2015 on  12:40 PM
Did you read the ones written by Alan Dean Foster ("Dinotopia Lost" and "Hand of Dinotopia") Rachel? Those who are really good.
There are many others which I found to be of somewhat mixed quality (none really bad, but I don't recall having been utterly taken with one of them either).
I have! :) Outside of Gurney's own work, those two are my favorite Dinotopia books. They're very well-written, for being that they were done by a fan, and not Gurney himself.
Not to say that the stories can't be well-written if you're not the author, but I was pleasantly surprised that Mr. Foster had contributed so much to the world of Dinotopia without it seeming non-canon.
Alan Dean Foster does this remarkably well, imo. Sometimes I go back and re-read both the first and second book. :)

As far as the other, smaller stories, I'd have to agree with you on that one. Some of them stand out, and then again some of them just don't. I've always been fascinated by the fact that Gurney allows others to publish books based on the world he created (as long as he read and approves it, which I think he does...) But some of the things that authors write about in the books are hard for me to consider canon. And I have to admit, when I read something that I don't think would ever happen in the Dinotopia world, I secretly choose not to consider it canon - even if Gurney himself did approve of the book being published. XD

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Currently reading Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep," a sequel to "The Shining" set a few decades into the future. I was initially a little hesitant, as I felt King's writing has become a tad... lazier(?) than it used to be, but thus far I've been pleasantly surprised. This book feels great, with the writing style hearkening back to King's older works (which I love!). It's an outstanding return to form, and I'm not even a quarter of the way through it yet. Obviously I can't judge it completely yet, but it's been a good read so far.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Higher by Neal Bascomb. Very excellent book about the race to build the world's tallest skyscraper in Manhattan in 1929 to the 30s between 40 Wall Street, the Chrysler Building, and the Empire State Building.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
SS Atlantic: The White Star Line's First Disaster at Sea.

Very good read on a very obscure topic about the sinking of the SS Atlantic off Nova Scotia's coast. Tragic but engrossing as well.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
Watership Down, for like the ten thousandth time. Never gets old :DD
"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking