The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Prompt Challenge Discussion

rhombus · 481 · 71077

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Considering how often people seem to miss the deadlines, wouldn't it be better to cut back to a prompt every 2 months? I feel this would amplify the quality of the stories spawned by the challenge and actually allow authors to write a decent story at decent length. I'm not a fan of these short stories, you can't explore the characters and situations you create enough and I always have to criticize people for not going into depth with their concepts. I'll participate in every prompt this year but I'll finish them at my own pace. Because I prioritize a good story over a rushed story ;)
Inactive, probably forever.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Honestly, two months is quite enough to write a pretty good story that doesn't go overboard with the length. I don't believe anyone is forcing someone to participate in every last one if they feel like they would rather invest more time with them rather than submit before the deadline. I did say that I would try to participate in every last one this year, but I have a feeling that promise was doomed from the start.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Haha, I too had wanted to participate in every prompt this year. But yeah, I already missed the first deadline. :P

I would still like to participate in all the prompts, even if some of them end up being late, but we'll see how things play out over the rest of the year.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 06:20:33 PM by StardustSoldier »

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Considering how often people seem to miss the deadlines, wouldn't it be better to cut back to a prompt every 2 months?

Two months is plenty of time for most people and participation was not really an issue last year.  Even if a person misses a deadline they can still make a late entry, it is just that their entry will not be open for voting (though they can still get a zero-star participation banner).  As it is that is what I will be doing with my December prompt as work and writer's block prevented me from completing it in time.

I'm not a fan of these short stories, you can't explore the characters and situations you create enough and I always have to criticize people for not going into depth with their concepts.

Everyone has their own preferences in what they like to see in stories.  When the fanfiction prompt response was first created I expected most stories to be in the 2k-5k length range for the most part.  In other fandoms that used such fanfiction prompts that was the most typical response length.  I think with such shorter stories one needs to judge them with a different perspective than one would judge a lengthy story.  In such short stories we can often explore concepts that would be drowned out in a longer narrative, or which could not carry such a narrative.  Ultimately the purpose of the prompt challenge is not to earn stars on a banner, or even to have the most entries, it is to try new things with the prompts merely serving as a nudge in that direction.  Whether someone makes a short story for every prompt or only a few longer entries, I will still look forward to seeing what they come up with.  After all, this prompt challenge is meant to be fun.  :)

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just a reminder that it is now the month of eggs.  :OzzyAngry  The February prompt is now active.

February 2020..............................Feb 1 – March 31

One word prompt : Eggs

Dialogue prompt : "They're hatching!"

Major prompt: The birth (or hatching) of one's first child is always a wondrous and joyful experience, but it is also incredibly daunting.  Now there is a new life on this planet which is dependent on your support and love.  Write a story where a new parent or parents must deal with the challenges of their first nest.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have received a request from OwlsCantRead for an extension to the January prompt deadline. As he is recovering from an illness and is in the proofreading phase of his prompt (as confirmed by images of his document), I will grant an extension for anyone who wishes to complete the January prompt until 11:59:59 PM forum time on March 2nd.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Thanks for the grant! I'm making full use of it, the triple whammy of last-minute (but as it turns out, highly preemptive) economics project write-up, the ensuing cold that followed, and the additional rest needed to stave it off did a number on me. My progress is still going strong, turns out those three days of stalled progress just got shifted to the extension period. :)
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I do wanna participate in the March-challenge (the one with different author's Universe/OC) but I can't really decide which Universe/OC to do >_>

Anyone having suggestions? XD

Edit: figured i better bring this up early so there's no scrambling later :P

UnionRags123

• Member+
  • Spike
  • AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sleeping-force's-inside on March 08, 2020, 03:43:08 PM
Quote from: Sleeping-force's-inside on March 08, 2020, 03:43:08 PM
I do wanna participate in the March-challenge (the one with different author's Universe/OC) but I can't really decide which Universe/OC to do >_>

Anyone having suggestions? XD

Edit: figured i better bring this up early so there's no scrambling later :P

Taunt!  :lol
(if you want to and with Rhombus' permission of course lol)
AAMBDDGLGLLLMMMOOPRSSSSB

Major kudos to anyone who figures out what that means :)

I will find ways to make sure “lol dino” is in all of my posts :lol

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Question: Is the February/March prompt still open for participation?

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Prompts are typically open for about 2 months, which in this case would mean that Feb is almost over while March will be active until for quite a while still.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The egg prompt? :bestsharptooth Yeah, its open till March 31, so long as you post on FFN and here by then you're good.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Woohoo! *prepares to embark on a frenzied writing session*  :bestsharptooth

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I would just like to say that with academics out of the way, I will indeed be writing a piece for the March OC prompt and have gotten the permission from the author in question to write their OCs, but my entry will be a belated one due to personal matters plaguing me throughout March and April. I won't ask for an extension, but I feel rather sheepish that the OC idea which I'd indirectly pushed for ended up being beset by time pressure. :lol

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I would just like to say that with academics out of the way, I will indeed be writing a piece for the March OC prompt and have gotten the permission from the author in question to write their OCs, but my entry will be a belated one due to personal matters plaguing me throughout March and April. I won't ask for an extension, but I feel rather sheepish that the OC idea which I'd indirectly pushed for ended up being beset by time pressure. :lol

I guess that means you'll ''win'' by default as no one else is likely going to participate in that prompt. :bestsharptooth

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile

I guess that means you'll ''win'' by default as no one else is likely going to participate in that prompt. :bestsharptooth

but... but... I already handed mine in :C Did I get disqualified somewhere? :o

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sleeping-force's-inside on April 23, 2020, 01:40:51 PM
[

Nah, I think he overlooked you accidentally. You're likely to win by default unless someone cooks up something last minute. :OhYou

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Aha, so you're the one responsible for this prompt! :p When I first joined the forum, I thought, "I'm gonna participate in every prompt, no matter how hard it is!" Now, only a month later, this tricky prompt has already forced me to abandon that goal. :whatdidyousay

(Haha, I knew I could quickly find a use for that new emote.) :lol

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
[

Nah, I think he overlooked you accidentally. You're likely to win by default unless someone cooks up something last minute. :OhYou

Oops-Eeps. I did overlook your prompt submission. I've read it, but it didn't cross my mind until Owls reminded me of it. My bad. :p

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Aha, so you're the one responsible for this prompt! :p When I first joined the forum, I thought, "I'm gonna participate in every prompt, no matter how hard it is!" Now, only a month later, this tricky prompt has already forced me to abandon that goal. :whatdidyousay
Oops-Eeps. Uh, yeah. I'd written a fic of a fic last year and the idea was liked enough that they wanted to give it a shot in this year's prompt (you can look back a few pages and the general idea of utilizing other OCs was actually pushed by various people), but alas it turned out to be trickier than anyone expected. :opetrie

I'm still biased and think it could be a great idea to foster a deeper relationship between our fic community to establish stories in other author's AUs...but I won't push it, it is legitimately hard lol.