The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Do you think Ali is a Mary Sue?

Dino-Mario

• Chomper
    • View Profile
What's your opinion about Ali???She has some Sueish traits,i see,but that doesn't make her one of those unholy demons.But what do you think anyway???I'd like to know.Do you view her as a Mary Sue or as a nice,likeable character.She has a very pretty singing voice too.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
First I think this would better fit into the topic of Ali ;)

However I really like her voice. I like her character a lot( she's my second favourite charrie after Ducky :DD) so I'm really sad she had so little screentime :( imo she should have replaced Ruby(why introduce new characters, when you already created good ones with much plot possebilities? :bang )!
Inactive, probably forever.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Actually I think Ali is almost the opposite of a Mary Sue with her showing some very distinct flaws. She displays a degree of racism, she makes up excuses to prevent Littlefoot from taking the others along to the land of mists, she pretends (lies) to know about the night flower and where to find it (which in the most ultimate consequence might come close to playing with the live of Littlefoot's grandpa)...
With Mary Sues being overly perfect characters short of any flaws who will come up with perfect solutions to all kind of projects which make look everyone else look kind of stupid I really don't think one could apply any of these criteria to Ali.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Ali lied about knowing where the night flower was? I don't know if I can agree with that. When I watched the movie, I got the impression that she did know, but because of all the traveling she and her herd does, and the fact that she was alone this time, it was hard for her to figure out exactly where to go. It would seem against her nature to lie about her knowledge of the night flower if that lie could result in the loss of a life.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Ali does confess to Littlefoot and the others: "I have never really seen the flowers for myself before."
Up to that point she had at the very least deliberately left the others under the impression that she knew where exactly they had to go and what they had to look for. It was quite a stroke of good luck for the Gang that they had not only stumbled to the right place, but also that the golden nightflower lived up to the name enough to make any mistake impossible.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I forgot to mention this in my other post, so I'll just post it here.

I disagree with Ali being a racist. To me, racists are hateful of other species/ethnics. Ali never once came across as a hater of other species to me. She was just afraid, and why shouldn't she be? Based on what she said, she never encountered anything else but longnecks. So it was natural for her to be afraid of Littlefoot's friends; she had no contact before and had no idea how to behave around them.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess it makes sense she's scared of Littlefoots' friends, as some said, since she had no contact with non longnecks.  The adults likely kept her sheltered I'd guess.  & as for the nightflowers she likely knew the area the adults went to get/eat night flowers if they got sick but had never been there herself, as some said before.  So it makes sense she had never seen one.

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I'm not sure about a Mary Sue, but I do think she was a bit closed-minded at first, especially when she first met Littlefoot's friends and was intimidated by them.