The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Questions to Malte

Malte279 · 230 · 21019

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
A good question, I love it :)
Thing is that to this day only a single helmet has been excavated which can definitely be linked to the old vikings. Gjermundbu helmet (named after the place where it was excavated):

Other helmets which have been found all date from later times or different people (Angles, Saxons etc.). Not a one of them however had any horns on them. There are quite a few medieval depictions and statues made by the vikings or made by other people depicting the vikings. For all I know not a single one of the medieval depictions shows a viking with a horned helmet. I'm not sure if I missed any, but in case a picture with horned vikings was made for example by a Christian monk (who usually did book illustrations etc.) it would be more likely than not that the horns were to link those "wild savages and plunderers of churches and monasteries" to the devil (but again, I am not aware of a single contemporary or even late medieval depiction of a helmet with horns).
In 19th century all of a sudden such pictures cropped up. The 19th century has done more than any other period of time to mess up our image of the middle ages. There were two main views of the middle ages, neither of which allowed for an objective view. One was to taint the middle ages as nothing more but a "dark age" (I think the term which nowadays is used mostly to the first few centuries after the fall of Rome (and still is a contestable description) was brought up in 19th century for the first time). In this view which was based especially on an extreme pride on the achievements of industrialization the middle ages were depicted as nothing more as an age of dirt, plague, religious fanaticism, and brutal exploitation of the majority by a tiny minority. There are some true elements in this but they largely ignore great achievements of the middle ages, blow certain problems out of proportion, or project problems existing in some areas on the entire world. Also this interpretation of the middle ages "invented" some medieval views in order to demonstrated how stupid people back then had supposedly been by comparison to the illuminated people of the 19th century (the best example for this is the false notion that people in the middle ages believed the earth was flat; a myth which is still believed by many). The other view romanticized the middle ages in which values like chivalry and honor, which were felt to be fading away in the age of industrialization, were extremely prominent. This kind of interpretation can very prominently be found in some Victorian age literature and also in the earlier works by Sir Walter Scott.
Getting back to the horned viking helmet, it was not the only piece of medieval equipment which became popular in the 19th century even though it most likely never existed. Another example for such a 19th century piece of medieval equipment is a flail with a short handle and a spiked metal ball attached to it with a chain. That one is also believed by many to have been medieval equipment, but there is no source or picture from the middle ages depicting or describing such a thing. There were mazes and long handled flails with long heads in the sources, but nothing like the thing I described above.
If one takes a look at the question under the perspective of sensitivity then it would be a very bad idea to have horns attached to your helmet. Granted, they might look intimidating to an opponent, but if said opponent hits the horn with a weapon in an angle that would otherwise just glance off the helmet, it would probably yank the head of the helmet's owner possibly throwing him of balance or even breaking his neck. In most things they did the vikings though very practical and it is rather unlikely that they would take such unnecessary risk and never document it if they did.
It is a lot more difficult to prove that something did NOT happen than proving that something DID happen. We do not have any historical source saying "No viking ever wore horns on his helmet", but we do not have any contemporary source whatsoever to suggest that they ever did.
There is one grain of truth however which may have contributed to the evolving of the myth of the horned viking helmets. There are medieval depictions of horned helmets, but these depictions neither show helmets that can be linked to the vikings nor do they depict helmets which are likely to have ever worn in battle. In tournaments or for special ceremonies there were "show off helmets" which were often loaded with a lot of decoration (including statues, animal heads (hopefully no real, smelly ones :lol), and long ribbons) which would be all but obstrusive in a real battle.
Here is an image of the seal of Albert of Sweden which includes such a ceremonial helmet.

The seal dates from 14th century though, hundreds of years after the classical viking time and the helmet looks nothing like the clishÈ viking helmet.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
What other fandoms(in books, tv shows, movies, etc) do you like besides LBT?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I am very sorry I missed the question so far, especially as I am really glad about any question to me in this thread :yes

Not all the many books, movies etc. I like really have any fandom (e.g. anything that comes along with a lot of fanmaterial and the like). I think one could say I am into the lord of the rings to a degree that one could talk of it as a fandom (collecting books, figures and stuff), though I cannot claim the expertise of our hardcore middleearth fans ;)
Another example would be Dinotopia. Unless I am very mistaken I have all but one dinotopia novel ever published (Sabertooth Mountain being the one that is missing) as well as the movies (the mini series and the cartoon which I found rather poor as well as the series which I found a lot better, though in many ways not to be mistaken for the Dinotopia envisioned by Gurney), and the audio plays.
I don't know exactly where "being into a fandom" begins. I own Harry Potter books (with the exception of the third, with the first in German and English, the second in German only, and the books from the fourth on in English only) as well as the audio books of Harry Potter, but I do not have any other fan material or created any kind of fanwork about it.
Similarly I like watching and reading Star Wars stuff whenever I can get my hands on it, but I reckon it would water down the term "fandom" if this was noted in the same breath as the fandomship of our real experts on Star Wars.
I watched all the Dink movies and like them quite well, but that is all there is to it, so I am not sure if that qualifies for fandomship either (same as with the Simpsons which I watch regularly without doing anything beyond that about them).

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
what is the last movie you saw in theaters?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Was your weekend successful, any potential employers :)?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you both for the questions :yes
what is the last movie you saw in theaters?
I don't quite remember since I so rarely got anyone to come along and watch... oh wait, of course I do remember! It was Ice Age 3 in the awesome company of Gustav, Jason, and Patrick in Gothenburg back in August.
In any case I know which movie will be the next. Tonight I'm going to the cinema with an aunt, an uncle, and a cousin of mine to watch Avatar.
Was your weekend successful, any potential employers :)?
Kind of a mixed result I think. I'm afraid the application for which I had the highest hopes is not likely to be successful. For once another professor there told me that (Quote) "half the Federal Republic" seemed to be applying for that one and also I do not think I impressed the professor to whom the application was sent. She didn't seem to like the topic I had suggested for the dissertation.
I did however establish some very friendly contacts with some other professors whom I found particularly likable because they were very active in seeking the contact with the younger students and doctors-to-be at the conference. In such talks it is a lot easier to tell a bit more and give some idea of what I can offer to an employer than it is in a stiffer outright application talk. I learned that two jobs will be offered by the John F. Kennedy institute in Berlin and I had a very friendly chat with the professor who will be offering these. Maybe I will be lucky there. And impression or no impression there still may be the chance for that job in M¸nster or Cologne (from where I don't have any response yet). Here's to hope :goodluck

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I just checked my emails and got one inviting me to an application talk! It is actually the first invitation to such a talk I got and it comes from one application I had almost forgotten by now already. It would be in Hamburg and the application talk is offered for the 26th of February. Now I AM excited :D

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
Do you think racial distrust is the greatest challenge to a multi ethnic society or is it religious distrust. Feel free to choose another answer

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That depends on whether I'm cooking just for myself or if somebody else is sharing the "feast" (at least what I am coming up with is more similar to a "feast" though hardly qualifying in the strictest sense of the term if I know that I will share it with someone). When I cook only for myself the time it takes to make the given dish plays almost as much of a role as good taste does. I like tasty food, but apparently I see eating as so much of a social event that I would put a lot more time and effort into it if it is for someone else as well. Even if there are guests I am hardly a star cook, but I reckon I can come up with something tasty.

Thank you for the questions :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Do you think racial distrust is the greatest challenge to a multi ethnic society or is it religious distrust. Feel free to choose another answer
Sorry, I had already posted the answer to the second question when I saw that there had been another one. This must be my lucky day :D

My answer to the question may be kind of disappointing as once again my aversion against the use of superlatives comes in. Religion and Ethnicity are both really stupid reasons to hate anyone and if somebody is blowing up a church for hatred on the religion this is as horrible in its motivation as running amok among a party of people of a given ethnic group is. There are also cases where religion- and ethnic based hatred and violence overlap and even include further elements. It is then difficult to say which of the various motivations is the "worst" and the extend of the different motivations is of interest mainly if the awareness of one of the motivations being much more prominent than the other may contribute to work against the sources of hatred.
Hatred against whole groups if individuals one doesn't even know is always a bad thing, no matter if the group is defined by religion, ethnicity, social standing or whatever other factor that does not hurt the one who is getting hateful over it.

Thank you for the question. I think it is quite an interesting subject of discussion :yes

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I'm almost afraid to ask this (and you can obviously ignore this question if you would rather not discuss the subject), but how did your application talk last Friday go?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No need to be too scared in just asking a question which I have just failed to respond to so far.
Altogether I think the talk went pretty well. I do not know of course whether or not I'm going to get the job I am hoping for, but in any case I think it was a valuable experience.
The atmosphere was quite friendly and much of the talk revolved around historical subjects I felt pretty comfortable with. I hope to have left a good impression and I had a good impression myself.
One important drawback for me turned out to be my lack of sophisticated command of a second (living) foreign language. While I do know a little French it is hardly enough for scientific work. I guess I should have stressed my absolute readiness to learn and smooth out this flaw.
Another moment where I think I should have reacted differently was after I had been asked about my main focus of interest in American history (which would be primarily (but not exclusively) 18th and 19th century. After this I was asked why I was not so interested in the 17th century. The problem here was that I don't have any good reasons not to be interested in the 17th century simply because I really AM very much interested in it as well. Therefore I must have sounded strange when trying to make up reasons why I didn't find 17th century as interesting when actually I didn't have any reasons. I am interested in American history as a whole and I can (and I think did) give good reasons why I am particularly interested in the 18th and 19th century. I should not have allowed myself to come up with reasons for disinterest in the 17th century where there is no disinterest at all.
I hope to get a further notification in the weeks to come and I very much hope for the response to be a positive one as I would really like to work there. Until I know I will continue to send applications to any jobs offered in the field of American studies.

Thank you for the question :)

PS: I also learned from this application talk that Altona, a part of Hamburg had been under Danish administration until 19th century. I had been unaware of this so far. I always take pleasure in learning something new and investigated a bit more into the history of a part of Hamburg under Danish rule.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
How dark do you like your LBT fan fics?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In which scales is darkness or lightness measured? What exactly do you mean?

Personally I think that if correctly applied dark elements can add a lot of spice and excitement to a story. However, I have often seen dark elements applied without real background, mostly on behalf of violent for entertainment's sake without any real explanation on why there was said violence. In such a case I do not think the "dark element" really serves it purpose.
If well explained and plausible, dark elements can be a very positive part of a story, so can not dark parts of a story which make sense. The coherence (not predictability) of the setting, the characters, and the plot are usually what makes a good story. For example the death of a single character (to name a specifically dark element) can be a lot more effective than the death of many if the reader knows a lot about the one who dies or even identifies with said character.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
What do you look for in a LBT fanfiction? To put it another way, how do you define a “pure” LBT story (the kind you would be interested in reading)?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It would come down to a fanfiction written in such a way it could easily be turned into a movie in the style of the first movie or the first few sequels and should also stay clear of crossing overs. Elements such as humans, time travels, aliens from outer space (I am aware of the rainbowfaces, but it is for such things that I refer to the first few sequels) are not a part of a pure LBT fanfiction by my definition. If there is violence or unusual actions of characters (unusual from the point of view of an LBT dinosaur who do not share many of the lines of thinking of modern day humans).
I think these would be the most crucial points, but there are others which have sometimes been neglected by the movies such as not carrying the story serving re-definitions of nature too far (tsunamis don't role from the shore to the open sea and volcanic springs are not likely to make an elevator / lift anyone could walk away from unscalded to tell the story).
There is another point that doesn't necessarily make a story not-pure but also carries it away from the idea of a land before time story. This point would be the characters. Stories might focus entirely on grownup characters from the movies or characters created by the author thereby totally or mostly leaving out the main characters from the movies.

I must at this point stress that I am not in any way advocating my own stories here. "The big quarrel" (gosh, was that supposed to be English by the time I wrote it?) includes a number of very unrealistic and not thought through ideas, to a lesser degree this is also true for "The cold time" which has its share of good and bad ideas but doesn't seem to have a central plot exciting enough to keep an audience hooked. Neither story includes any characters of my own creation and generally doesn't offer many surprise moment. Pure LBT stories they may be, but in quality as in being exciting to read they may fall way short of some non pure LBT fanfiction.
Nevertheless I am really very much in favor of the concept of pure LBT fanfiction and written by a better author than me I think they could be really great. I admit it sometimes saddens me to see how much senseless slaughter some would unleash upon the Great Valley or with what extremely different stories they would cross LBT over. Thing is that one would have a very hard time trying to find any pure LBT fanfiction at all. I wonder why it is that hardly anyone would give it a try at all. I got responses along the lines of it being too difficult to think of further stories for pure LBT stories (that was before the creation of the TV series came up with a good number of pure LBT fiction some of which was quite good) while I really think that there is a lot left that one can tell in the world of LBT without ignoring its boundaries. Apparently (this is another response I got) these boundaries are however perceived as limiting the author's creative freedom. So as a result there are hardly any pure LBT fanfictions at all.
It is for that reason that I have mostly stopped reading fanfiction because neither could I really enjoy these stories nor would me feedback be of any help to the authors :(

PS: I very much regret that apparently my refusal to go into non-pure fanfictions has been interpreted as a sign of personal dislike by some (or at least one) author of such stories. This really isn't the case :(

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think it is a good thing if a song is interpreted in various ways and it is quite interesting to listen to the different styles.
Loud and electro-metallic music is usually (always the chance for exceptions) not my cup of tea. So for me personally this interpretation is none that I would listen to frequently, but it is a good thing that someone put a lot of time, effort, and passion into this interpretation for everyone who is more into this style of music.