The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Drawing fanart from memory

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We were just discussing this in the Discord server: our LBT friends are particularly challenging to draw without any reference. They have so many small details & odd expressions that are really hard to draw from memory. My compliments to anyone who can properly draw them without references!

So here goes. Be prepared for a load of probably really bad fanart. Anyone else care to join in and share their beautiful works of art?  :SharptoothAmused

This one was definitely drawn from memory, all the way back in 2008. I'll try to draw something else from memory soon to see how my skills hold up  :lol

Stardisk

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Stardisk's strange digital corner
When I posted the pic below in the mentioned discussing, @Mumbling has got an idea to start this challenge :D

This piece of s.. art had been drawn for 2 minutes just for fun about a week ago

And I'll try to draw a couple of new pics from the memory tonight.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 07:23:30 AM by Stardisk »
Saint Petersburg, Russian Federation

View my art project Internet Before Time (last update was 2020/11/18!)

Discussion of LBT games for PS1

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
OK I just drew a couple of characters from memory. Based on the times I took each photo, all characters took me ~ 5 minutes to draw  :RedclawTerrified

I honestly quite like Chomper haha

Stardisk

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
OK I just drew a couple of characters from memory. Based on the times I took each photo, all characters took me ~ 5 minutes to draw  :RedclawTerrified

I honestly quite like Chomper haha
Quite good for drawnings from memory  :)littlefoot
Chomper, Spike and Ducky, right?

And will you color them?  :littlefoot

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yep yep yep!

Not coloring these, no. Just wanted to see what I could get out in a short amount of time (and later i'll check these against the actual characters to see what I missed :D )

Stardisk

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Yep yep yep!

Not coloring these, no. Just wanted to see what I could get out in a short amount of time (and later i'll check these against the actual characters to see what I missed :D )

At least your characters are recognizable, even though Chomper looks strange a bit :ChomperOhhh
By the way this challenge is not supposed to be "draw as fast as you can challenge", only "draw from memory, without refs", so, I think, it is not necessary to hurry up while drawing  :ducky

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's very true! But I don't think I could've done a much better job if I took more time, except maybe smooth out some lines. The details just aren't there in my head. And it is also kind of nice to see what I can do in such a short amount of time ^^

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Interesting challenge. :D
My drawing skills are so bad even when I draw not from memory, so I am afraid to try it without memory. XD

Stardisk

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
My drawing skills are so bad even when I draw not from memory, so I am afraid to try it without memory. XD

But that is the point of the whole challenge!  :littlefootmad

Stardisk

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Well, I've tried to draw all the Gang members from memory.
Faces are awful =\

Click on the image to view it in full size.

So, I have destroyed this piece of shart in the shredder. Because I feel guilty towards the Gang for this drawing
Spoiler: ShowHide

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Not bad at all! Though Spike seems to have little chicken legs haha :D I think Petrie is pretty well done, and at least you remembered Ducky has a nose XD

Stardisk

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Thank you,  Mumbling, I thought it is the worst pic ever which posted on GoF

By the way, I was asked why all the characters have negative emotions.
And I answered:
I've tried to draw smiley to Littlefoot, he was the first. And after the result, I've been disappointed, but still tried to do my best, but....
litlofut is corrupted, petry looks like a woodpecker, druncky is more like a pig, sera is a wolf in a baby hood, srpicke has too human face

Well, this challenge made me understand, that

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Oh my gosh--this is hilarious! :lol I'll have to get in on this thread!

Though I'm sorry to say I've reached the point where I can actually draw these characters from memory really well...

"I don't see anything!"--Cera

"Maybe your eyes are getting in the way."--Rainbow Face

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Please don't feel bad, @Stardisk. It's certainly nothing to feel guilty about. You've already proven with your emoticons that you are a great artist. :) Drawing from memory is just a whole challenge in itself, especially if it's not something you're used to doing. I don't think the point of this thread was that the drawings here would turn out good, per say.

You can check this out if you want to see a drawing of mine that I was hideously uncomfortable with (which granted, I used reference images for that one, but still). It's normal as an artist to be dissatisfied with your creations, but please don't feel bad about having shared them with us. I speak from experience here.

Anyway, there's no chance that I'd be any good at a memory drawing... but I'll still give it a shot sometime and see what happens. Stay tuned. :p

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Please don't feel bad, @Stardisk. It's certainly nothing to feel guilty about. You've already proven with your emoticons that you are a great artist. :) Drawing from memory is just a whole challenge in itself, especially if it's not something you're used to doing. I don't think the point of this thread was that the drawings here would turn out good, per say.

You can check this out if you want to see a drawing of mine that I was hideously uncomfortable with (which granted, I used reference images for that one, but still). It's normal as an artist to be dissatisfied with your creations, but please don't feel bad about having shared them with us. I speak from experience here.

Anyway, there's no chance that I'd be any good at a memory drawing... but I'll still give it a shot sometime and see what happens. Stay tuned. :p

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was being a putdown, because that definitely wasn't what I was intending. There's no shame whatsoever in having to use references. As Stardust said, I doubt the art in this thread was meant to be good. It's just a fun challenge. :) (Btw, Stardust, I think that drawing of yours is actually really cute!)
Aw man, I remember the first time I tried to draw Cera without references. :rhett_ohsnap Wonder if I still have that infernal picture around somewhere... :p

"I don't see anything!"--Cera

"Maybe your eyes are getting in the way."--Rainbow Face

Stardisk

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Please don't feel bad, @Stardisk. It's certainly nothing to feel guilty about. You've already proven with your emoticons that you are a great artist. :)
Thank you, Stardust!
Drawing from memory is just a whole challenge in itself, especially if it's not something you're used to doing. I don't think the point of this thread was that the drawings here would turn out good, per say.
Yeah, I know that it is quite difficult challenge, But I thought that I would do it better.
You can check this out if you want to see a drawing of mine that I was hideously uncomfortable with (which granted, I used reference images for that one, but still).
I've checked. It is still quite better than my shart here, even though your drawing is not perfect and has some flaws.

It's normal as an artist to be dissatisfied with your creations, but please don't feel bad about having shared them with us. I speak from experience here.
Well, you're right. But if an artist considers himself/herself as professional, I think he can't be dissatisfied with his/her creations.

Well, I would like to see your memory drawings in this thread  :littlefoot
And of course, I always use references for my fanart and especially for Internet Before Time.

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was being a putdown, because that definitely wasn't what I was intending. There's no shame whatsoever in having to use references. As Stardust said, I doubt the art in this thread was meant to be good. It's just a fun challenge. :) (Btw, Stardust, I think that drawing of yours is actually really cute!)
Aw man, I remember the first time I tried to draw Cera without references. :rhett_ohsnap Wonder if I still have that infernal picture around somewhere... :p
Heh, I haven't thought that usin references is a shame. But without references I allegedly get regress. And I also would like to see your Cera drawing, it would perfectly fit to this thread  ;)Cera

Nanotyrannus

• Junior synonym
  • Chomper
  • i'll put something here eventually
    • View Profile
I looked at this thread for two seconds and immediately decided that I wanted to participate in some way.

This is the final product of me trying, struggling and eventually giving up on drawing the core five kids somewhat accurately

Stardisk

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I looked at this thread for two seconds and immediately decided that I wanted to participate in some way.

This is the final product of me trying, struggling and eventually giving up on drawing the core five kids somewhat accurately

I was laughing at your pic like your littlefoot. You have drawn so funny faces!
However, all the characters are recognizable, well done!

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Wonderful job Sneak! The look on Cera's face is priceless. Also it seems that a fast biter has joined the gang.  :PCera

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Well, I would like to see your memory drawings in this thread  :littlefoot
Well... we'll see. I liked the idea initially, but I still get kinda squeamish about showing off my art as it is, let alone for a less polished piece. But thank you for the vote of confidence.

Btw, Stardust, I think that drawing of yours is actually really cute!
Thanks. :)