The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Equisetum's Lament

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
In February or March 2008, I was given an opportunity for extra credit in my Plant Systematics class: produce something creative (artwork, poetry, etc.) that relates to botany. It just so happened that the course material itself had already provided me with the perfect inspiration. We had just been studying the horsetails and scouring rushes (family Equisetaceae), and had learned that the fifteen living species in the genus Equisetum are the only surviving representatives of the horsetails’ entire class. (To put that in perspective, that would be like something like having fifteen species of mice being the only mammals on Earth.) This information so amazed me that I began thinking about what it would be like from the Equisetum’s perspective, being the last survivors of a formerly diverse and prominent group, now limited to growing in the shadows of trees and brightly colored flowers, and saddled with a name likening them to the posterior appendages of equines. And so I composed “The Equisetum’s Lament”, a poem told from the point of view of these plants, as they reflect on their ancestral grandeur and their present humble and overlooked status. The poem was very popular with my class, my professor, and my family, and of all the poems I’ve ever written, it’s almost certainly the one I’m most proud of. For some time I’ve been planning on sharing it here, and have finally gotten around to it. Some of the words I use are probably difficult to pronounce, and many are probably rather obscure to readers not acquainted with plant anatomy and classification. If you can’t say “Equisetaceae”, I direct you to the list of terms and scientific references I have provided below the poem.

I hope you enjoy the poem. Please tell me what you think. :)

The Equisetum’s Lament

These days we stand small and meek
growing by a shaded creek
Humans see our bankside clumps
and refer to us as horses’ rumps

If they’d only seen us in our day
they might have something else to say
Before flowers, grass, broad-leaves and fruit
Before the first angiosperm took root

Back in the Carboniferous time
we arthrophytes were in our prime
Some of us stood one hundred feet
We ruled the swamps of coal and peat

The insects first learned how to fly
beneath our towering strobili
And we saw the humans first crawl out
looking not so much like apes as trout

But to humans today, we’re a thing to dismiss
Pity that it’s come to this
Such a great and regal lot
now reduced to scrubbing pots

It seems our glory days are done
Once many genera, now just one
Our reign is over, yet here we stay
So remember the Equisetaceae

You need to have some knowledge of botany and paleontology in order to fully appreciate this poem. For the benefit of readers who have less familiarity with those subjects, here is a guide to all the scientific terms and allusions I use (including pronunciation):

ï Equisetum (Eh-kwih-see-tum): is the only living genus in the family Equisetaceae (Eh-kwih-seh-tay-see-ay), class Equisetopsida. The fifteen species in this genus are the only surviving members of a group 375 million years old.

ï Most modern horsetails are between 8 inches and 5 feet (0.2–1.5 meters) tall (though some species are larger) and grow in wet, sandy, and/or clayey soils, often around water.

ï Members of the genus Equisetum are commonly called horsetails, as some species resemble the tail of a horse. Equisetum translates in Latin to “horse bristle”.

ï Horsetails predate many of the plants and plant characteristics that are familiar to us today, including flowering and fruiting plants, modern broad-leaved trees, and the grasses.

ï Angiosperm (an-jee-oh-spurm): a plant in the division Magnoliophyta, the flowering plants. These evolved in the Mesozoic era, long after the horsetails appeared.

ï Carboniferous (Kar-buh-nif-er-us): the geologic time period lasting from approximately 354 to 290 million years ago, during which the Equisetaceae were at the peak of their diversity and abundance. The name is Latin for “coal bearing”, and refers to the abundant peat bogs of the time, which fossilized into vast coal deposits.

ï Arthrophytes (ar-thro-fytes): in the past, horsetails have been given their own division (equivalent to a phylum in animal classification), alternately titled Arthrophyta, Equisetophyta, or Sphenophyta. More recently, it has been suggested that they are actually in the same division as ferns (Pteridophyta). I was unaware of this at the time I composed the poem in 2008, and my Plant Systematics textbook (which may have been slightly out-of-date) grouped the horsetails under Arthrophyta, hence my use of the division name here.

ï Calamites (Kal-a-myte-eez) was a genus of tree-like horsetail from the Carboniferous. Fossils of trunks over 6 feet (2 meters) in diameter are known, and they are estimated to have grown 50 to 100 feet (15 to 30 meters) tall.

ï Strobili (stro-bih-lye): the spore-bearing structures at the ends of horsetail stems. In some species, the main stem is topped with a single strobilus.

ï Horsetails evolved in the Devonian period, at around the time the first tetrapods (four-legged backboned animalsóa group which includes humans) arose from lobe-finned fish. Likewise, the oldest known flying insects date from the Carboniferous.

ï The abrasive stems of some horsetail species have been used in the past for scrubbing pots, pans, and other metal utensils, hence their alternative name, scouring rush.

ï Genera (jen-er-a): plural of genus (jee-nus), a unit of biological classification above family and below species (Example: the species Tyrannosaurus rex is in the genus Tyrannosaurus).

ï Equisetaceae (eh-kwih-seh-tay-see-ay): as mentioned above, the horsetail family, limited today to fifteen species in one genus.

The photo (click for a larger image) is of a woodland horsetail (Equisetum sylvaticum) I picked in the woods outside our house this Tuesday (to show a visiting relative what a horsetail looked like while sharing the poem). The stem was almost completely straight when I plucked it, but it started to wilt almost immediately, giving the plant a melancholy appearance which I felt suited the poem perfectly. (As an aside, horsetails sprout from horizontal underground stems called rhizomes, so in picking one I was not hurting the would plant any more than you would damage the grass on your lawn by mowing it, for those of you who might be concerned that I killed a horsetail for the sake of a visual aid. :p)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
It's good to see some work of yours Pangaea. :) I just realized this and wanted to read it for myself.

It reminds me a lot of Nightwish's "Creek Mary's Blood" song. It's based on the viewpoint of the Cherokee and the trail of tears, it's such a powerful, moving song.

Anyhow, on your poem. Putting my religious beliefs aside, I find this poem to be awe-inspiring. This poem also has a very melancholy, nostalgic tone, like an elder recalling the days of their youth.

I also like that you gave definitions to some of the words you used.

You definitely have a nack for this type of literature. :yes

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for your review, Amy, :) and sorry if I at all offended your religious sensibilities :oops (I should have put a disclaimer mentioning that this poem references evolution).

Quote from: Rat_lady7,Jul 20 2010 on  01:44 AM
This poem also has a very melancholy, nostalgic tone, like an elder recalling the days of their youth.
That was the sort of tone I was aiming for, but I didn't realize I had been so successful. :! I had thought that the humor I also tried to infuse into the poem had undermined most of the emotion and wistfulness that might have been present.

I also like that you gave definitions to some of the words you used.
Yep. I figured that unless you're a botanist or taking a plant biology class, most people will have no idea what the terms mean or how to say them. The poem is much more meaningful if you understand the scientific background.

By the way, were there any terms I didn't define that you thought I should have?

You definitely have a nack for this type of literature. :yes
That's kind of you to say that, but most of my poems (in my mind, at least) are nowhere near this good. I'm not very flexible with the kinds of poems I write (for example, I've almost never written a successful rhyming poem, apart from a few haikus), and have a hard time with rhythm and meter.

Thanks again. :) I'd appreciate feedback from other members as well.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^Oh no! That's not what I meant. I'm actually pagan, who really has a deep connection with nature, so this poem really spoke to me on a spiritual level. I just didn't want my beliefs to influence on my review if you know what I mean. ;)

To be honest with you, I really don't like rhyming  in my poetry either. I think you and I can do it, it's just a matter of practicing it. :yes Have you ever thought of writing haiku? You don't have to rhyme and it's short but can be profound.

Anyhow, I hope that cleared things up, and I'm looking forward to more writings from you. :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rat_lady7,Jul 20 2010 on  10:24 AM
^Oh no! That's not what I meant. I'm actually pagan, who really has a deep connection with nature, so this poem really spoke to me on a spiritual level. I just didn't want my beliefs to influence on my review if you know what I mean. ;)
Oh, sorry. :oops I guess I misunderstood you and jumped to conclusions there. :lol

To be honest with you, I really don't like rhyming  in my poetry either. I think you and I can do it, it's just a matter of practicing it. :yes Have you ever thought of writing haiku? You don't have to rhyme and it's short but can be profound.
Actually, I prefer rhyming poetry. I have written a few haikus, but I don't have them on hand at the moment, and I doubt I have enough of them to warrant their own thread yet.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
This is very beautiful indeed :)
I remember as a kid I was very fascinated by a Czech movie about a group of kids traveling back in time through the eras of the geologic time scale. In that movie equisetum (called "Schachtelhalm" in German which literally translates to "case halm" was mentioned and shown as a plant from the time of the dinosaurs). I recall I was positively thrilled when then I saw some of them in a nearby park. Many of my dinosaur pictures made in that time included equisetum ever after (so at least the equisetum may be comforted in the awareness that some kids will just love it for having existed in the time of the dinosaurs already).
Your poem is really both, beautiful in sound and informative :yes

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you so much. Your feedback means a lot to me. :) And thank you for sharing your Equisetum story. :smile

Honestly, I was under the impression that if anyone had even noticed my poem, they hadn’t liked or cared about it enough to say anything. (If I had had the option and/or ability to remove the thread, I very well might have, because I would have just as well rather not left it sitting there on a public forum.) Receiving comments on it is immensely fulfilling. :yes