The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Bye Bye Windows XP! R.I.P.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well it's about a week premature, but in less than 7 days I will be running Windows Vista exclusively.  About 6 months ago it became a bearable operating system to use and within the past 4 months it's become even faster than XP on some machines.  I'm guessing they put a bit of Windows 7 in there.  Now all my machines use Vista including the LBT Server!  Well.....there's one XP machine left....my download computer.  But I'm downloading something VERY important on it and it'll take about another week to finish (I have to transfer almost 100gb).  I've already got the computer that's gonna replace it though.  It's all loaded up with Vista Home Premium SP2.  I wish I had 3gb of ram for it, but I suppose the 2gb it's got will have to do for now.

With the release of SP2 for Vista, it's even a better choice than XP for hosting a server and downloading files.  There are an UNLIMITED number of connections in Vista SP2.  I still strongly recommend 3gb of ram for Vista, especially if you're running it on DDR but you can get by with 2gb if you really have to.  I'm glad they've FINALLY fixed the damned thing.  Too bad 7 had to be right around the corner before they did it. <_< But anyways, no I don't have all legit copies of Vista yet.  I run 10 computers on a daily basis and 7 of them have legit licenses.  I'm using a pirated copy on the other one's until I can somehow obtain more Vista licenses.  I'm real big on legit software so I don't like doing this, but hey I'm going to get the licenses soon so I see no good reason why I shouldn't wait to load it.  

I didn't buy ANY of the Vista licenses I have separately from the computers themselves.  Several of the machines came with XP Pro, but I've been able to transfer OEM licenses from dead machines to my main ones.  For example, I just got an HP dv2000 laptop that was dead as a doornail.  Motherboard blew.  I got it for $40.  I parted it out on eBay and got about $260 for it.  Then I took the Vista Home Premium license key and loaded it onto my Acer computer using a universal OEM disk.  The Acer will be my new download computer so I'm very glad I was able to get a free copy of Vista Home Premium with it.  

My main office master has an Intel dual core processor and 3gb of DDR2 memory, yet it came with XP Pro.  I have a pirated version of Vista on it till I can obtain another license, which probably won't take long.  It's nice to finally be able to get rid of XP once and for all.  Let's just hope MS doesn't make another ME/Vista lemon for many years to come.  MS put me through hell having to use the same OS for 8 full years! :anger They should be ashamed of themselves!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow. I never thought I'd hear you say you'd switch to Vista.

Anyway. Cool.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Aug 27 2009 on  03:42 AM
Wow. I never thought I'd hear you say you'd switch to Vista.
 :exactly  :exactly

A new day has dawned when Austin says Vista is cool.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Vista is great now with Service Pack 2 and it was sorta okay about four months before SP2 was released.  I still haven't gotten my download computer replaced yet.  I'm trying to decide what computer is going to replace it.  No matter how highly clocked a newer architecture P4 is it's still better off with XP.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I was never really a Vista fan to begin with.  I guess I have a reason or two for having a rather nagging hate for it that just won't leave, no matter how good it gets.  I guess the bottom line is just that I felt cheapened out in the end.

Anyways, I don't plan to make the move from XP until I get my copy of Windows 7.  I seriously can't wait for that one. :)