The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time: Far Away Home

Caustizer · 415 · 53498

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
I guess it is my fault. :unsure:
I'm sure he wants to see more LBT artwork from me (especially the revised version of 'A Wingtail Family'), or it's because I sadly set Dawn of a Wingtail 'on hold'...  :(

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
No it's not Sky or anybody's fault.

It's actually for a couple of reasons:

1) Far Away Home is very old in my mind. I've gone over the ending so many times in my head and know it so well, it's actually boring and repetitive to type it down.  I feel like I'm shoving down stale bread in that regard.

2) LBT studios is closed, so no new material (apart from Jittery Dragon's videos) will ever come up, so it isn't possible for me to come across anything inspiring within LBT anymore.

I've made up my mind to finish Far Away Home, but progress is so slow because I am both busy and a little bit on the low in regards to getting it done.

Caustizer

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
^ Wow. Even if we don't have anything to do with them, those reasons are both pretty depressing to hear. :( :neutral

Anything we can do to help?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It's fair to say there isn't.

Far Away Home is something I have to finish on my own, and keep in mind it is very close to being done in it's current state.  I just did another two pages tonight (which amounts to about a third of the next part at least) and since my midterms are done I suppose I will have more time to work on it if I find I am inspired.

However, I find that Sky's art does definately give me a boost.  Anything that keeps Sky, Star, and Glide as well as the gang in my mind will definately propell things along :angel.

Caustizer

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Then I shall work on a picture now! :DD Right after my two exams are over. I might finish it by the weekend. :angel

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Part IX: The Greatest Cause (B):

Later that afternoon, Sky was getting frustrated yet again at the denizens of their latest destination.  He had been searching all day up to that point for the leader of these herds but so far he hadn’t gotten any helpful responses at all.  At best the dinosaurs here were watched by some hidden protector, but at worst they were simply ignorant enough to believe that danger would never come.  The most common response he had heard was that they didn’t have a leader at all.

The blue wingtail understood on some level that it was possible for the gathering of herds to tend only to their own, but they all seemed to get along far too well with so many different species intermixing freely with one another.  For the limited time he had spent there he noted that the Great Valley appeared to work the same way, but the big difference between there and here was that they had a council that met in times of crisis.  It is ironic that unlike the now long dead Verdant Valley dinosaurs, the Lush Valley was a disaster waiting to happen.

At one of Sky’s decidedly last stops for the day, he conversed with a Swimmer who claimed that she had been told a mysterious longneck named ëDoc’ watched over everyone and kept sharpteeth away.  Hearsay for sure, as there was no way a single leaf-eater was enough to keep a menace like King Tyron at bay.  The blue wingtail shuddered at the thought, and decided not to think about it.  Dealing with sharpteeth was one of the poorest decisions of his life and he still regretted it, but nothing he could ever do would erase it.  It was best to simply accept it and move on.

Setting down on a branch of a dead tree, Sky sighed and rubbed his face and frill with his hands.  Brushing the head-feathers back a few times, his mind shifted to thoughts of what awaited him when he finally came home.  The elders would probably try him and convict him of crimes against the wingtails for sure, judging on how Glide treated him on their last few run-ins.

In mid thought, a flash of scarlet wings caught his eye.  The flyer was distant, and only in his line of sight for less than a second, but it triggered something within his mind.  Could it be?  What were the chances that she was all the way out here?

With a sudden burst of speed Sky took off from the branch and blasted off towards the place where he thought he saw her.  Surprisingly he caught up pretty fast, as the flyer was moving erratically as if they didn’t know where they were going.  A few hard wing beats, and a familiar smell hit his nostrils. Yes, it was definitely Star.

“Star,” called out Sky, “Star is that you?”

The scarlet wingtail jolted around to face him, and recognition appeared all over her expression.  Sky was so glad to see her, it didn’t alarm him when she grabbed him in midair, and pulled him towards the ground.

“Wait, stop!” he shouted, “we’re doing down!”

She let go a few seconds before contact, but the force of the dive took them both right into the prickly bushes.  The stabbing thorns bit into Sky’s feathers and coat, but they were not forceful enough to cause anything more then superficial pain.  More then anything else, he was caught in the euphoria of the moment.  Star was here!  His mate was here and she was as beautiful as he remembered.

“Star,” stated Sky with pride as he pulled himself free, “I can’t believe it… you’re actually here!”

She shushed him with a finger to her mouth, and scanned the skies above.

“Be quiet,” she countered, “they’re coming.”

Sure enough, a few moments later a flight of birds carried overhead.  Sky could tell by the shadow they were fellow wingtails, and there was quite a few of them.  Why would Star be afraid of them? What was going on here?

“What is going on Star… are they pursuing you? Why are you-”

Sky was interrupted.  He was halted not by her words or her expression, but by the connection of her lips to his own.  Star had wasted no time, and as soon as the danger passed she turned and kissed him.  It was a magical, instinctual thing that Sky had been craving these many nights.  He had known for a long time he loved her, but the moment he was living now was larger then any of the doubts he had faced up to this point.  He was with her again, and in that Sky knew he was home.

It was a while before they separated, but standing alone with thorns and missing feathers in their wings, Sky knew things couldn’t possibly be better.  Finally gathering his senses, he focused on the concerns at hand.

“Star,” the blue wingtail started, “what is going on… why are you afraid of those wingtails?”

Star dawned a look of sadness, and looked away.

“It’s Eybron… he can’t stop hounding me day and night.”

“Eybron?” said Sky with surprise, “you mean the white wingtail who guards the Sonicron?”

“Yes,” pushed Star, and she clasped her hands around his, “this is his fault… all of it!  He has been after me for seasons, and he is responsible for what the elders did!”

Sky was stunned.  It was all so much to take in at once, he pushed her for more.

“What do you mean? What has Eybron done to wrong me?” he responded.

Breathing heavily, Star recomposed herself and bestowed upon Sky the truth.

“I’m sorry Sky… I haven’t been entirely true with you.  A lot has happened since you left… bad things have happened…”

Undeterred, Sky hugged her and his head came over her right shoulder to whisper into her ear.

“Tell me what is hurting you, and I promise I’ll make it right.”

Heartened by his words, the scarlet wingtail continued.

“After they separated us the elders sent you to do their work, and it was Eybron’s fault… he got his father to convince the others you were the best wingtail to do it even though we had so recently been torn apart.  He took advantage of your long absence and then got Glide out of the way so I would be alone and without his protection.  The things he has done… they are unspeakable.”

Sky could tell she was upset, and held her even tighter.  From what he knew Eybron was a tough and determined wingtail… if he was involved then things were pretty bad.

“Hush my dear, it’s alright you’re with me now.”

Clinching her eyes shut, Star suddenly became angry.

“No it’s not alright!  He’s been pushing me around and every day he tries to force me to be his mate!  It wasn’t that bad until he blew up the mountain with the Sonicron and found the Eye of the World and…”

“Wait, you mean HE blew up the mountain?” interjected Sky.

“Yes!” affirmed Star, “he used the glass horn to make the Black Mountain erupt… all because he wanted to put on a show, and get rid of you!”

All at once the darkness within him suddenly turned to light.  A great weight lifted off Sky’s shoulders as he realized that the natural disaster that had followed them was not the will of the great circle, but the insidious work of another wingtail.  Not only that, but the villain was trying to take Star away from him.  Sky felt a primal hatred of Eybron brewing within him, an urge to bring justice and right the wrongs that had been laid upon him.

A set of shadows passed over them again, and the two wingtails ducked to avoid their pursuers. Emerging from the bushes, Star came up with a plan.

“They won’t stop searching until they find me… I have to go and lead them away…”

“No,” stated Sky firm, “I won’t let you be taken back to that… beast… of a wingtail again.”

Star turned away and moved into a clear spot where she could spread her wings.  Sky stepped out to follow her, but she hissed loudly in his direction causing him to halt in surprise.

“Stay back!” she begged, “if they find you they’ll kill you!”

“Star I–”

“You have to hide Sky,” she continued, “go somewhere far away until I get back to the elders.  Only they can stop this madness.”

Sky sighed, and slid back into the bushes.  He had been running and hiding almost all of his life, and he was getting tired of it.  There was an emotional movement within the wingtail that told him now as not the time for shiftiness and concealment, but the time to stand up to the monster that had made his life into dirt.

“I love you,” the blue wingtail added sadly.

“I love you too,” confirmed Star with deep sincerity.

After quickly making sure none of the pursuers were around and watching, the crimson wingtail spread her wings and took off into the sky, speeding away as quickly as she had came.  Sky watched her go, and prayed that he would see her again.  He knew in his heart that they both deserved to live happily together, even though events continued to conspire against him.

Putting a dozen trees behind her, something suddenly came into her mind Star had completely forgotten about.  Silently, she cursed.

She hadn’t told him about the egg.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Littlefoot felt ashamed.  He could tell by the way Ali walked and the way she looked at him the female longneck was thinking about what Dara had said about the two of them earlier.  Or was it something else bothering her?  As much as he loved her company and knew her pretty well Ali was very complex.  One season they were best friends and the next she was into some other longneck, having no time to play with him and the rest.  Deep down though he really enjoyed being with her, and he hoped she would never go away.

“Littlefoot, who are we looking for again?” Ali asked in a bit of confusion, appearing as though she was being pulled around for things she didn’t understand.

“We’re looking for the Lone Dinosaur,” commented Littlefoot as he pushed a fern out of the way with his foot, “if we find Doc and tell him about the sharpteeth, he will know what to do.”

“Oww,” moaned Ali as the fern wacked her in the face, “but why do we need to do that? You already hurt that one sharptooth enough for all of them.”

Littlefoot stopped and turned his head.

“Because it’s not just happening to me.  You heard what Sky said about Tyron, and how they are taking over herds and forcing them to get eaten one by one.  If we don’t do something, another longneck or threehorn or spiketail is going to end up fatherless just like us.”

There was merit in what Littlefoot said, and Ali nodded slightly.  She had been expecting it to have something to do with the vengeance that drove him to kill that one in the fire lands, but now Ali could see his purpose was noble. Notably, she found herself admiring his heroism and desire to help others.  He would make a good mate someday.

Ali blinked.  She had no idea where that thought came from, and it kind of shocked her to be thinking that way.  Briefly though the moment passed and she carried on behind Littlefoot to find this ëLone Dinosaur’.

“Did you hear that?” Littlefoot asked suddenly about an hour later.  He turned his head towards the sound.

“No,” admitted Ali, before adding, “what is it, what did you hear?”

The same sound happened again, and this time Littlefoot registered it clearly as did Ali.

“Hey, that sounds just like Sky when he was fighting off that sharptooth,” stated Ali without realizing what it meant.

Littlefoot did.

“Come on! Sky’s in trouble, we have to help him!” the longneck shouted, and he blasted on through the bushes.

Ali followed, and after a few minutes of hearing the echoes of a screeching wingtail through the forest the two longnecks finally reached its source in the middle of a wooded clearing. Brushing aside the last of the bushes, a disturbing scene played out in front of them.

Three wingtails had driven a fourth one down from the sky, and were attempting to subdue her. The victim had crimson feathers, and seemed to be doing everything she could to get away.  She was the one making the horrible screeching noise, and after a few seconds she was caught by two of the at once and driven to the ground.  They stuffed her face in the dirt to try and silence the crimson wingtail.

It was so horrible that Littlefoot decided to intervene, and he burst forward into full view so he could be clearly seen.

“Hey!” he shouted, “its three on one… let her go!”

One of the now grounded wingtails turned to the longneck and hissed while his companions made sure Star was unable to get away.

“Back off land walker… this is wingtail business and does not concern you.”

Ali caught up, and joined Littlefoot in his condemnation.

“Stop it!” she cried, “… go pick on someone your own size!”

The brown wingtail growled threateningly, and one of the others left Star to be held down by the last minion to join his senior in the confrontation.

“You have been warned… go away or we’ll see to it that those long necks of yours become an awful lot shorter.”

Littlefoot snarled in return and lowered his head, as did Ali.  Normally his first instinct was to run, just like all other leaf-eater children, but the emotions of a young adult were kicking in inside his mind and he felt no desire to flee.  These wingtails were just as mean as the ones in the Forgotten Forest, and they had to be put into place.  Littlefoot was sure with Ali by his side they could take them, as the two of them had grown about a foot taller since they left the Great Valley and were a heck of a lot stronger.

The fight was about to commence when a shadow appeared over the group, and another wingtail landed softly on the ground in the middle of the dispute.  His wings were a light grey, and his feathers were a clean, crisp white that made Littlefoot think this wingtail had to be a good one.  He couldn’t have been more wrong.

“Senselessly fighting with the locals are we Barrau?” remarked Eybron, “and here I was about to praise your skill at remaining on task.”

Barrau looked around rapidly, as is trying to think of a way to redeem himself in the face of his master.  Eybron frowned.

“Take her back to the Eye… we still have a mating ritual to complete.”

The guard holding down Star loosened his grip, and let her up.  She immediately started screeching again, and the other guard clamped his arms around her in an attempt to silence her.  Eybron looked displeased at the whole proceeding, but otherwise ignored Littlefoot and Ali as if they weren’t even there.  After a moment he was satisfied that Star was going to cooperate and turned around with a hard look.

“I would suggest you both leave, lest I lose whatever little patience my mate’s escape has left me with.”

Littlefoot wasn’t sure what to do.  That old instinct to run was coming back into him again, and now that the shock of the encounter had passed the longneck had half a mind to obey and flee.  This newcomer was only slightly bigger then the other three, but his presence was much larger.  He had the disposition not of a wingtail, but of a sharptooth restraining himself from pouncing on his prey and devouring it whole, and it was highly unnerving.  A moment later Littlefoot had made his decision to obey. After all it was just a wingtail dispute right?  He would have to tell Sky about it though, just in case it concerned his friend.  He moved a step to depart, but was interrupted when a more familiar wingtail cry pierced the air.  

Matching the intensity of Star’s cries, Sky ripped through the air and landed purposefully near the two longnecks.  He was alarmed that they were here, but at least the wingtail had a few friends he knew he could count on.  It was time to confront Eybron, and show him he wouldn’t stand for how the white wingtail treated Star.

“Unhand her Eybron,” demanded Sky with grit, “we are consented mates, and by the Laws of the Forest set down by the elders you cannot separate us!”

The two guards holding Star immediately let go, and she pulled away and hissed softly back at them.  They may be in service to Eybron, but they had been convinced by their master that they were upholding the Laws for the greater good.  Seeing his own minions were having second thoughts, the white wingtail went right into the matter.

“Sky? Hah, I can’t say I expected to see you here,” remarked Eybron with a bit of a laugh, “Out of all the rocks and rotten logs for a fugitive to hide, you had to pick the very mouth of the beast seeking to destroy you.  I commend your bravery.”

“I don’t want your praise,” continued Sky, “just let her come with me, and you’ll never have to see us again…”

“See, now is where we come to a problem,” the white wingtail sighed, tapping his fingers together in anticipation, “it would appear that we are both desiring the very same female for courtship… how unfortunate.”

Star wondered why Eybron was doing this, but then it hit her.  The white wingtail had all the power here, as with just a word he could have all his guards hunt down and tear her beloved Sky into pieces.  He was just playing with the blue wingtail.  The crimson wingtail watched in horror as even more of Eybron’s minions arrived and begun to fill the trees.  From the dire and vengeful looks on their faces she could see that Sky’s time was running out even faster by the second.  Not being able to bear it anymore, she cried out.

“Run Sky!” she shouted, “Fly away or he will KILL YOU!”

Eybron glanced back at her in anger and with a gesture one of his guards clamped his hand around her mouth.  Sky snarled in rage.

“Fight me!” demanded Sky bravely, “fight me and we will see who is worthy of her courtship.”

“Me, fight you?” remarked Eybron with a snort, “like common sharpteeth? I think not.”

The white wingtail’s gaze narrowed.  The time for games was over.

“It’s a shame it has to end this way, it really is.  I was hoping that the Sonicron attack would have made things quick and painless for you, but I see you leave me no other choice.”

Eybron wiped both his eyes clean of mock tears with his wing.

“Bring him to me,” the wingtail commanded, “alive if possible…  I want to enjoy his death like I enjoy his mate.”

Sensing that it was his moment, Littlefoot hopped in front of Sky and stared down the would be attackers.

“If you wanna hurt Sky, you have to go through me first!”

Ali followed suit.

“And me!”

“Littlefoot,” begged Sky, “this is not your fight… leave while you still can!”

Eybron laughed.

“Alright it looks like the land walkers have a death wish too… so be it.  Kill them all for me.”

The thunderous roar of wings filled the clearing, and Sky was sure this was the end.  It was like Eybron had said… so be it.  He felt whole inside… whole in the sense that he would die defending his mate against hopeless odds, and that she would know his bravery and think of him always.  The blue wingtail mourned however for Littlefoot and Ali.  It was his fault they were here, and the debt he owed them and their parents would never be paid.

The rumbling of an earthquake shuttered the whole glen, and for a moment the circling wingtails held their attack in confusion.  The Sonicron was in the claws of the sharpteeth… what could possibly cause it to happen again here?  The answer was soon quite clear.

“Nobody is killing anybody on my watch.”

A large longneck, great even by the rest of his kind’s standards, strode into the clearing with purpose and might.  His entrance was so shattering the wingtail guards dispersed back into the trees.  This was a foe they definitely couldn’t face down even with their numbers.  As he reached the two small longnecks and the blue wingtail, Littlefoot recognized him right away.  It was none other than Doc, the lone dinosaur himself.

“Doc, Doc down here!” shouted Littlefoot.

The lone dinosaur looked down briefly at the source of the voice, and his eyes widened briefly in surprise.  Quickly moving on however his eyes narrowed as he turned to face the only wingtail still remaining on the ground – Eybron.

“You flyer types have no place here threatening our young ones,” commented Doc with a hint of aggression, “get outta here before I drive you out myself.”

The wingtail guards looked to their leader for direction, and from the looks of things Eybron certainly wasn’t ready to back down.

“Hah, you fool… you think you are one to threaten ME?” the white wingtail boomed, “you don’t seem to see that it’s not your world anymore giant… it’s my world now, along with every creature in it.”

Doc snorted and lowered his head.

“If I knew what was good for me, I wouldn’t be talkin back to one ten times my size friend,” the longneck stated.

Littlefoot thought it was good advice, but clearly this was a clash of the titans in terms of wills.  That white flyer was really nasty, but Doc had the advantage of sheer size.  There was no way this ëEybron’ would ever push him around.

“You know what,” continued Eybron, “your kind is starting to make me angry… and when I get angry little valleys tend to burn.”

Doc grit his teeth.

“And when little flyers go mouthing off and make me angry, they tend to get squashed into the ground were they belong.”

The large longneck pressed his foot into the ground for emphasis, caving in a few layers of dirt in the process.  Furious that he couldn’t win a fight of strength, Eybron spread his wings and took to the air.  The other wingtails followed him, and Star was pushed along with them.

“You want to fight with ME?” shouted Eybron uncontrollably, “you’ve made your choice land walker.  In the morning your home will be purged with my vicious fire! Your hatchlings will scream at their inevitable deaths, and your flesh and skin will peel away from the heat of your own folly!  And then, as you draw last breath, I will be there…laughing above your charred corpse!”

A full minute past, and the wingtails were all gone… all of them except for Sky that is.  Un phased by the outburst, Doc smiled slightly. Seeing that his duty was complete he turned down towards Littlefoot.

“You really aught to pick your enemies more carefully, friend.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay, the main story part of Far Away Home is officially over.

Admitedly, I'm considering not doing a Marathon for the next four chapters since it requires an enormous amount of work and may not be done for months at my current writing rate.

What do you guys think? Would you rather I write them all over the course of months and then post them all within a week of each other in one big finale, or would you rather I continue with my normal format of posting the chapters as I finish them?

Let me know after your reviews, thanks.

:angel

Caustizer.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay; I’ve been so slow with everything this week. :bang (It took me hours just to write this. :wacko)

I keep forgetting just how detached (knowledge-wise) Sky and his companions are from the events that are affecting the other characters. This chapter really drove it home with all the information Star gave to Sky; it showed just how oblivious he was to all the drama taking place elsewhere. (It’s amazing to realize that he wasn’t even aware that Eybron had anything to do with it. :!) She forgot to tell him about the Eye of the World, though. :slap (Speaking of which, I’m very concerned for the Verdant Valley at this point. :unsure:)

I also really liked how you wrote the scene of Littlefoot and Ali’s encounter with Eybron. I thought it was some really good POV work, especially how you described Eybron from Littlefoot’s perspective; how Littlefoot finds him intimidating despite having never met him before and not even knowing who he is.

The confrontation towards the end was the most exciting part for me. I loved Doc’s entrance (Good thing his punctuality hasn’t changed. :p) It felt strange (as well as interesting and refereshing) to see him confront a flock of wingtails rather than a sharptooth or a natural hazard. I’m surprised Sky didn’t chase after Star when the other wingtails dragged her off, though.

“Because it’s not just happening to me. You heard what Sky said about Tyron, and how they are taking over herds and forcing them to get eaten one by one. If we don’t do something, another longneck or threehorn or spiketail is going to end up fatherless just like us.”
Just a comment: longnecks, threehorns, and spiketails wouldn’t be the only species Littlefoot would care about, so I think it would make more sense for him to say “someone else”, “another dinosaur”, “other dinosaurs”, or even “other leafeaters” or “another leafeater”.

It is ironic that unlike the now long dead Verdant Valley dinosaurs, the Lush Valley was a disaster waiting to happen.
Should be “was”.

The elders would probably try him and convict him of crimes against the wingtails for sure, judging on how Glide treated him on their last few run-ins.
I think this should be “by”.

With a sudden burst of speed Sky took off from the branch and blasted off towards the place where he thought he saw her. Surprisingly he caught up pretty fast, as the flyer was moving erratically as if they didn’t know where they were going.
”Saw” should be “had seen”, both “they”’s should be she, and “were” should be “was”.

“Star,” called out Sky, “Star* is that you?”
I would change the comma to an exclamation point.
*Insert comma.

Sure enough, a few moments later a flight of birds carried overhead. Sky could tell by the shadow * they were fellow wingtails, and there was quite a few of them.
”Shadow” should be plural, and “was” should be “were”.
*Insert “that”.

“What is going on* Star**… are they pursuing you? Why are you-”
“Star,” the blue wingtail started, “what is going on**… why are you afraid of those wingtails?”
*Insert comma.
**Insert question mark.

“Oww,” moaned Ali as the fern wacked her in the face, “but why do we need to do that? You already hurt that one sharptooth enough for all of them.”
Should be “whacked”.

The brown wingtail growled threateningly, and one of the others left Star to be held down by the last minion to join his senior in the confrontation.
Since Littlefoot and Ali don’t know who Star is at this point, I don’t think her name should be used here.

Littlefoot was sure * with Ali by his side they could take them, as the two of them had grown about a foot taller since they ** left the Great Valley and were a heck of a lot stronger.
*Insert “that”.
**Insert “had”.

After all* it was just a wingtail dispute* right? He would have to tell Sky about it* though, just in case it concerned his friend.
*Insert comma.

The rumbling of an earthquake shuttered the whole glen, and for a moment the circling wingtails held their attack in confusion.
”Shuttered” should be “shuddered”, and since this is LBT, I would personally use “earthshake”.

A large longneck, great even by the rest of his kind’s standards, strode into the clearing with purpose and might. His entrance was so shattering * the wingtail guards dispersed back into the trees.
*Insert “that”.

“Doc, Doc* down here!” shouted Littlefoot.
This may be a stylistic choice, but I would change the comma to an exclamation point.
*Insert comma.

“If I knew what was good for me, I wouldn’t be talkin* back to one ten times my size** friend,” the longneck stated.
*Insert apostrophe.
**Insert comma.

“You want to fight with ME?” shouted Eybron uncontrollably, “you’ve made your choice* land walker. In the morning your home will be purged with my vicious fire! Your hatchlings will scream at their inevitable deaths, and your flesh and skin will peel away from the heat of your own folly! And then, as you draw ** last breath, I will be there…laughing above your charred corpse!”

A full minute past, and the wingtails were all gone… all of them except for Sky* that is.

Un phased by the outburst, Doc smiled slightly. Seeing that his duty was complete he turned down towards Littlefoot.

“You really aught to pick your enemies more carefully, friend.”
“Past” should be “passed”, “un phased” should be one word, and “aught” should be “ought”.
*Insert comma.
**Insert “your”.

I won’t be posting my opinion regarding the FAH marathon yet. One reason is because the last time such a query was made, I was the only one to respond :huh: (unless the others did so by PM :unsure:), which fueled my concerns that every time I give feedback, other readers are discouraged from doing the same. (C’mon, people! Prove me wrong!) So this time, I’ll be waiting for others to post first. The other reason is that, honestly, I’m not sure what my preference is yet. :oops

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorry for my absence! :o Been super busy with stupid things (like unnecessary homework)...

Darn! The little reunion of Sky and Star was beautiful and quite sad at the same time.  :) Excellent chapter! :^.^:
Heh, how could she just forget telling him about their egg? It sounded like vital information. I wonder...

Anyhow, I found Doc's entrance awesome! Just right at the very last moment.  :D
Hmm... reading Star driven to the ground made twitch a little (only a little ;)). It's not that I didn't like it, it was quite refreshing (...that sounded kinda blunt) :p

Ha! My heart was beating so strong while reading this chapter! :DD

Hmm... I'm not quite sure about the marathon. :unsure:
On the one hand, you could see the marathon as a really BIG chapter. It would be a great read for a finale. Yet, it would take too much time to finish, thus, you would probably be unmotivated to work any further. On the other hand, posting new chapters as you finish them would give you a lot of room for reviews (even though, Pangaea is probably the only one reviewing in such detail). But still, doing so might 'ruin' the grand finale. When it's over, people wouldn't be much interested on the, let's say, epilouge after waiting a long time for the next part to be up...

Haha! I probably don't make any sense what I'm talking about.  :lol: I leave the rest up to you.  ;)

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
As always the reviews are appreciated.

Man I love suspense!  One could remark that I didn't include Star in the flashbacks for a reason, just so that I could pull that "Does she live or die" card later in the story later :angel, but really that would only be partially true.

A thing I love about the last few chapters is how many questions they answer, how many loose ends they tie, and as well showing just how things end for my (and Sky's) characters!  To me, the end is always the best part, since after all I have been planning it for over a year now.

Today, I wrote up the first page for Marathon Part I: The Battle of the Sonicron.  Not much, but its at least a good thing to know its being worked on right?

Caustizer :DD

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Caustizer,Dec 15 2010 on  12:38 AM
Today, I wrote up the first page for Marathon Part I: The Battle of the Sonicron.  Not much, but its at least a good thing to know its being worked on right?
Absolutely! :yes Not just good, but comforting to know, and keeps us alert to the fact that the story is still going on. Please continue to keep us posted! :smile

I still can't decide on my preference for how you post the final chapters. I suppose I'm leaning towards waiting and posting them all at once, but that's just a thought off the top of my head. :unsure: You might want to consider directly asking the opinion of known readers of the story in their question threads.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Progress on the next chapter is chugging along at a good pace, and it will likely take a decent amount of time to complete.  Since The Battle of the Sonicron effectively concludes the whole 'Ruby's Gang' side of the storyline, it has to be done correctly otherwise all the ends don't come together right.  There's a lot of ground to cover, so bear with me here. :angel

Caustizer.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Caustizer,Jan 5 2011 on  12:18 AM
Since The Battle of the Sonicron effectively concludes the whole 'Ruby's Gang' side of the storyline, it has to be done correctly otherwise all the ends don't come together right.
Ah. That bit of information goes a long way in influencing my preference as to how you post the chapters. I had anticipated that the three storylines would come together in the next chapter or two and effectively end as one, or that each chapter would contain separate sections, each focusing on a different storyline. (Obviously I completely failed to consider the pattern of each chapter being dedicated to a separate storyline. :rolleyes)

Truthfully, I think I find Ruby's group's storyline to be the most interesting of the three, so if it is going to be completely wrapped up in a single chapter, I guess I would rather read that chapter at the same time as the others. However, I suspect that I am outvoted on this issue, considering that everyone else to respond to this query has stated a preference for the chapters being posted one at a time (although I cannot know whether they were aware of this information either).

In any case, it's very good to hear that you're making progress on the chapter. :yes

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Regretfully, these ending chapters are ending up to be DOUBLE the length of the double length chapters previously posted (making them four times as long in total as a regular chapter, also forgive the Ruby Speech) so I'm going to have to post each of them in two parts it looks like.  So without further ado, since I know you all have been waiting for it... I present the ending Act of Far Away Home.

Act Five: The End Time

Part X: The Battle of the Sonicron (A)

The jungle runners began preparations early, and assembled before the great circle had risen fully above the horizon with haste.  Ruby’s side of the gang had not gotten used to the tendency of their new friends to get up really early (unlike Littlefoot’s side which had Sky, who always got up early as birds tend to do) so the fastrunner, the egg-stealer, the spiketail, and the threehorn were sluggish and grumpy as Swiftwalker arose each of them individually.

“Argh,” yawned Cera, before turning towards Gentry “that runner is almost as annoying as you are.”

Gentry was busy brushing the dirt off his skin from sleeping on the ground, and halted mid-swipe with indignity.

“Hey now, where did I ever wake you all up so early?… I swear you like to blame me for bloody everything.”

Ruby was considerably more accommodating, and after spending almost a week with the male runner and his family she had grown accustomed to his daylight-saving nature and adjusted to it.

“We prepare for battle with Sharpteeth,” stated Swiftwalker with confidence, “you wish me luck.  Maybe, I bring home much meat for pack.”

Seeing through his brave demeanour, Ruby could see that underneath he was anxious and afraid.  Swiftwalker was very well learned on sharpteeth and what they did to other creatures for meat or sport, and there was a primal instinct within him that expressed he could actually die here… his eventful and fun life could end with the swipe of a claw or the clamping of sharp jaws.

“I know you will,” added Ruby, “If there is a cause worth fighting for then there is no cause worth fighting for like fighting for your family.”

The male runner looked like he didn’t understand, and he peered back at her in confusion.

“Egg-stealer right… you talk funny.”

“Hah,” laughed Ruby, “that makes two of us, doesn’t it.”

And she extended her nose toward his and licked him, right on the front of his face.  It was so surprising that Swiftwalker flexed his nostrils, and rubbed his face to prove that the kiss he had just received was actually real.

“Good luck,” wished Ruby with sincerity as she hugged him, “please come back safe when you come back… I don’t know what I would do without you.”

“I come back,” replied Swiftwalker enthusiastically, “you wait and see.”

Siak was waking up as well, and she yawned loudly revealing her rows of white teeth.  Licking her lips a few times to take a away the remnants of the morning she interrupted Ruby and Swiftwalker’s tender moment.

“Ah young love… I remember when I was smitten like you two.  Mais used to fish for hours on end for me, even when I wasn’t hungry.  I tell you, one like him doesn’t come around that often for a female like me.”

“Who are we talking about again?” butted in Cera, taking the lead into the conversation even though it wasn’t her business.

Siak looked a bit uncomfortable, and scratched the ground with one of her feet nervously.  She clearly didn’t like to talk about her former mate with others, even though the subject kept coming out of her on a few occasions.

“Mais was her mate,” explained Ruby sadly, “...the sharpteeth killed him.”

“No...” whimpered Siak, “...it wasn’t the sharpteeth...”

Ruby looked genuinely surprised, but Cera wasn’t familiar with the story and insensitively pushed for more information.

“Well then who did?” the threehorn questioned.

Siak turned away, and walked rapidly in circles with a jumpy motion like she was trying to find something else to do to escape the reality of the answer.

“Don’t think that’s a good idea shera-mate,” put in Gentry with concern, “she looks kinda upset if you ask me.”

Thylo looked confused, but was otherwise unusually silent.

Siak finally stopped, and turned back towards the young dinosaurs.  A tear was running down the side of her eye, but she looked otherwise in control.  Ruby briefly showed a disappointed glance at Cera before hopping forward.

“I’m sorry you feel so bad,” the fastrunner said sincerely, “Cera likes to make others feel bad sometimes.”

“Hey,” interjected Cera angrily, “all I did was ask a question, and now I’m bad?  ... Chomper’s been missing for several great circle rises and you haven’t even bothered looking for him.”  

“They’ve been doing the looking for us,” insisted Ruby with a tone of desperation, “the jungle is so big and strange, it would be too dangerous for us to go out too.”

Cera stomped her foot in defiance.

“That certainly doesn’t sound like the Ruby I know.  Chomper was everything to you and now you just let him go like he no longer matters at all? Maybe if you weren’t spending every night with your new friend...”

The comment touched a nerve, and Ruby instinctively stepped forward into a more aggressive stance and tightened her fists.  Swiftwalker saw what was happening, but stood by unsure what to do.  This was about things he didn’t understand.  Cera crouched low and snorted, and it appeared like a fight was going to happen for sure.

Suddenly and completely unexpectedly Thylo bounded forward in between the fastrunner and the threehorn just before they met, keeping them apart with her strong arms.  The dark green spiketail was always so passive and playful, the action caught both Cera and Ruby by surprise and they backed off.

“I see that you are both bad!” interjected Thylo with a bit of her own anger, “You fight and yell at each other over bad things that haven’t happened yet when the spike mouth is upset about bad things that have already happened and were really really bad!  Fighting is wrong and is only making things even more bad cause everyone is feeling worse already!”

Both the would-be combatants began to feel guilty for their near fight, and their body language showed it.  Ruby looked down and rubbed one of her arms, while Cera pushed some dirt with one of her feet absently.  As all glances turned towards Siak, she rubbed away the second tear with her clawed hand.

“I think it’s high time I got all these ëbad things’ off my chest,” she said with regret, “you all aren’t kids anymore after all, and it’ll sure do me good anyways.”

Siak swirled around and stood up higher to regain her composure.  Sitting down with both her legs at once, she began her story.

“When the sharpteeth came me and Mais were catching water swimmers in one of the rivers of the Lonely Mountains, by Oasis Valley... or at least what used to be Oasis Valley.  I think they call it Fang Valley nowadays.  Anyway, he saw them and we tried to run but they were Stalkers born and bred to run us down so we didn’t stand a chance with our insides full of water swimmers.”

Siak readjusted her position, twitching her tail back and forth.

“To save me and my babies, he turned around and tried to fight them off.  I got away, and when he never followed I went back to look for him...and...and...”

She had to recompose herself again, as tears were starting to flow.

“If it hurts that much, maybe you shouldn’t tell us,” stated Ruby sadly, but Siak waved her comment away.

“No, I need to do this dear... it’s for me.”

Again, Siak rocked on her back legs to get comfortable while seated.

“When I found Mais he was still alive... but... since he wouldn’t join them they cut his legs.  ëRun with us or not at all’ they told him, and he refused.  Before he told me his last wishes, he made me promise to carry them out... and I did.”

“What did he ask of ya?” inquired Gentry, who was engrossed in the story like the rest of them.

Siak did not answer with words, but instead extended one of her claws and ran it from one side of her throat to the other about an inch off, and every one of the young dinosaurs gasped.  More tears began to flow down the spike-mouth’s face, but she actually looked better now than she did before.  Mais’ last wish was for his beloved to kill him, so he didn’t have to suffer death by infection or worse.  It broke her heart to do it, since she had never had to use her claws or teeth on anything larger then a water swimmer.

After a long minute of silence, Cera spoke up.

“Sorry,” she admitted, which was a rare thing for her, “... I... didn’t know it was that bad.”

“Oh, I should be the sorry one,” remarked the spike mouth with strength, “getting all choked up about something that happened many many seasons ago... I like to draw happiness from raising the young ones like you to keep my mind off it... my mother’s instinct you know.”

“You had babies,” remarked Swiftwalker out of curiosity, “where they go?”

Ruby and probably the other four were expecting the worst, but the answer was quite homely.

“They hatched, grew up, and went off to make their own way in the world,” answered Siak with pride, “I like to think that in them Mais is still here in a way... even though he might be gone in the flesh.”

In a flash three jungle runners bounded through the clearing, narrowly missing the group.  Siak snorted in annoyance at the sudden intrusion.

“I’ll say they better watch where they’re going next time... that’s mighty rude of them to run through us like that.”

Another adult runner bolted into the clearing, but this time he stopped in their presence.

“Sharpteeth in the woods... you all move, follow me!” he insisted.

Swiftwalker jumped up and obeyed immediately, while the others were slightly slower.  Soon Swiftwalker, Ruby, Cera, Chomper, Siak, Gentry and Thylo were running through the forest, dodging branches and blasting through shrubs as fast as they could run.   Drawing from her new experience in dealing with the jungle terrain, along with the lessons learned from their new friends, Ruby caught up with the adult runner.  Brushing along side him and barely matching his strides, she thought to inquire about the danger of the current situation.

“Why…are we running?...” breathed Ruby.

The adult male runner, who was only slightly smaller than her dad gradually slowed down until he came to a complete stop, and she matched him.  The others were farther behind, but unsurprisingly the first of them to arrive was Swiftwalker followed by a tired out Siak.

“Just what the blazes are we hustling along for?” Gentry commented as he examined one of his feet, “my foot hurts like a buzzy sting.”

“Hah… join the herd,” muttered Cera under her breath.

“Be quiet,” hissed Siak sternly after catching her breath, before whispering, “keep your eyes and ears open.”

The runner had ignored Ruby, but not because he was being mean.  Word had spread about that there were sharpteeth around, and right now it was more important that he listened for their silent footsteps and low snarls to learn if danger might be near.  Swiftwalker instinctively knew the procedure, and followed suit by observing in a direction of his own.  After a minute, the adult runner turned to Siak.

“Not find sharpteeth,” he commented, “you go back… guard hatchlings.”

“Oh you don’t need to fluff your tail all up about them,” commented Siak in an upbeat manner, “They’re all with their mommies and daddies until the high Great Circle when we go hunting for water swimmers.”

The adult runner nodded briefly.

“Then you guard other runner friends… in case more sharpteeth –”

A sudden roar echoed through the large canopy trees.  It was so loud, the small flyers in the branches scattered to the winds in fright.  The cavernous call was soon followed by another, slightly softer bellow.  There were sharpteeth nearby, and they were definitely really big.

“You hide, all of you,” pressed the runner urgently, but there was little need as the two legged dinosaurs in the group had already dropped to the ground in fear.

Gentry covered his head with his hands and whimpered, while Siak’s response was similar but less cowardly.  Swiftwalker and Ruby had pushed to the ground together, though the male had unfortunately done most of the pushing.  The sudden shock of the sound was so surprising Ruby didn’t even have a chance to recognize the slight familiarity of the pitch before she was prone on the ground next to Swiftwalker.

“I go!  Must warn Alpha… sharpteeth coming!” decreed the adult runner in a half whisper as he crouched down low.

In a split second he was gone dashing through the undergrowth.

“Hey Ruby,” commented Cera calmly as he walked up next to the runner and her shaking male friend, “is it just me or do those sharpteeth sound familiar?”

Apart from Thylo, who appeared to enjoy the thunderous roars, Cera was the only one of the bunch that had remained almost perfectly calm with the exception of a small jolt of surprise.  Part of her coming into maturity was that she was becoming more and more fearless, as threehorns tend to do, and was only remotely startled by the threat.

“Hey,” gasped Ruby in surprise, “you’re right… it’s Chomper’s parents!”

Siak looked up, and Gentry uncovered his eyes.

“Well I’ll be… I didn’t know that little bug eater had folks so big!” commented the white egg-stealer with a bit of relief.

The female spike-mouth brought a claw to the front of her face and tapped her scales in thought.

“You say that little sharptooth we lost had parents around here!?! By all the swims why didn’t you tell us girl… they have probably gone half mad looking for him and…”

Siak hiccuped in fright at the revelation.

“…looking for us!”

“No it’s not like that,” reassured Ruby desperately, waving her hands, “his parents told me to look after him… and I’ve been looking after him since they told me.  They told me they were going away for a while, but they didn’t tell me where!”

The crashing sounds of stomping feet and cracking tree trunks could be heard through the forest, though it was still a distance away and didn’t seem to be heading towards the deep woods they now resided in.

“We’ll they’re here now girl!” shouted Siak to overcome the loudness, “do something before we all get chomped into bones!”

And Ruby did.  She bounded forward towards the sounds, blasting through the undergrowth with the full speed granted to her kind.  Swiftwalker found his courage too, and followed her with purpose.

“Here we go again…” remarked Cera, referring with dread to another burst of running, “I just hope this time they aren’t hungry…”

Chomper had been walking for hours, but it was something he was pretty used to by now.  After all he had been trekking for months now with Ruby and the rest so he was in very good shape.  In addition, walking on his toes was proving more and more comfortable each day, to the point where he didn’t want to stand flat footed at all anymore and it hurt a little bit to do so.  

Apart from all the walking though, he was in very high spirits and he followed his parents through the forest with pride and purpose.  The last few days had been an adjustment, but learning to live like a sharptooth again was refreshing even though he didn’t enjoy the more gruesome aspects of it.  Both his mother and father were proud of him… not only for coming out so far and finding them but also because he had proven his phenomenal strength and endurance in their eyes beyond what any of the plans they had for him were.

He learned that against his mother’s wishes his father had opted not to return to their former territory near the Great Valley, since they had found an even better region of dominance in the steppe lands just west of the Abyssal Jungle in their travels.  The land was rich with prey, and more importantly it didn’t intrude on Tyron’s domain… at least not in practise.  More and more frequently they were having run-ins with the fast-biters of the Tyrant King’s pack, and a couple of times they had caught the Stalkers attempting to destroy their non-existent eggs to weaken their family as a whole to make them vulnerable to any future expansions their master might attempt.  For this reason, as well as the onset of old age, the sharptooth pair hadn’t mated since they left their old territory behind.  Now that Chomper was here and growing up strong, it meant a new burst of hope for them and their family’s future.

The young sharptooth had told his parents all about his adventures and all the new friends he had made, but it was only a brief mention since he could tell they were hardly interested in his friendliness towards the leaf-eaters.  Instead, he switched to a topic that was more interesting to them – the quest that that wingtail ëAizon’ gave Ruby to unite the wingtails and the jungle runners against Tyron to end his empire.   His folks took great interest in ending the threat of the Tyrant King and his pack, and before long he had convinced them to offer their assistance to the fight… provided they didn’t eat any runners or wingtails along the way.

Glide was a bit of a different story.

The black wingtail found the company of sharpteeth both unnerving but full of reward at the same time.  He didn’t like how he couldn’t hear what they were saying, and the aggressive and vulgar (by wingtail standards) nature of their speech always give him the impression they were plotting to eat him behind his back.  On occasion Chomper had translated a few things for him, but for the most part he was content to remain in the air and far out of their reach.  As for the rewarding side of things… let’s say that he wasn’t picky when it came to meat and his new travelling companions provided lots of leftover meat.

“The clearing I told you about it just ahead,” mentioned Glide as he swooped down over Chomper, “keep going and we will reach the meeting ground.”

The young sharptooth looked up and his flying friend.

“Thanks for guiding us…” replied Chomper with a smile, “you know you’re actually turning into a nice wingtail.”

“Hah,” snorted Glide in a friendly manner as he circled very slowly close to the ground, “watch it sharptooth… I can turn mean again in a heartbeat.”

Chomper grinned.  The black wingtail had come a long way since they first met in the cave.

Chomper’s dad turned around and growled in his son’s direction, tilting his head slightly and then righting it again.  An exchange took place between the father and his son, and it was odd but Glide had gotten used to it.  From a vague guess, the wingtail surmised that they had finally pushed their way through the Abyssal Jungle enough to reach the meeting clearing.

Last night Glide had been up late patrolling the skies… thanks to Chomper’s parents he had eaten already, so tonight he wasn’t doing it because it was he was hungry.  No, he was just flying for the sake of exercise… it was a habit he had when he came across some free time.  Apart from his love for his sister and his lust for shiny objects, the one thing that Glide found his passion in was rigorous, hard training for the Fish Fights that happened every year during the Fish Festival.  Being in the absolute peak of fitness not only made him feel good, but it also protected him from some of the lesser sicknesses that other wingtails often died from.  Now matter what… he always had to be there in case Star needed him and the best chance of that was through being in peak condition at all times.

Through his routine of flight exercises he sighted the burning column produced by an unknown fire source in the night.  Sweeping over the scene briefly he sighted both wingtails and runners, and surmised that the alliance had been made… just like Aizon had arranged for it to be.  Hurrying back to Chomper and his parents, his directions ensured they would come to exactly the right place to join the fight.

Chomper’s parents halted and the young sharptooth dashed into the forested clearing they had just broken through the brush into.  Looking around, his first observation was that it was completely empty… there wasn’t a trace of a single living creature in sight.  Sniffing the air a few times with his powerful sniffer, it confirmed that fact.

“Where is everybody?” questioned Chomper in bewilderment as he completed his check.

“They probably ran off,” responded Glide next to him on the ground, “you’re parents aren’t exactly quiet ones.”

Chomper lowered his head, and sniffed the ground some more to find a potential trail.  His thinking had only concentrated on getting them to the clearing to hopefully meet up with Ruby and the others, but he hadn’t considered the fact they might run away because of how imposing his parents are.  The only solution left now was to try and find a scent to follow and hope it led to a friendly face.  Unfortunately, there were tons of different smells here… to the point where it was hard to separate them.  This was going to be difficult.

“Chomper…Chomper!” called out Ruby, bursting out from the underbrush of leaves in a fluttering storm of displaced leaves.  Behind her was a strange runner Chomper had never seen or smelt before.

“Ruby!” cried out the young sharptooth in joy.

The two ran towards each other, and met somewhere in the middle right near the place where Ruby and Siak had sat during the Runner-Wingtail meeting the night before.  Not wasting a moment, they hugged one another.

“I’m so glad your safe,” mentioned Ruby in his ear.

“Yeah,” answered Chomper agreeably, and she released him.  Strangely enough, he was almost as tall as she was now.

“Sorry I ran off,” he added in regret, “but I found my folks… and they’re here to help with the really bad sharpteeth!”

Ruby shifted her gaze towards Chomper’s parents, and they looked back at her.  It was hard to tell what the older sharpteeth felt towards the runner child they had so long ago entrusted to watch over their son, but there was no better time then now to find out.

Chomper’s dad stepped forward, and begun to speak in his low sharptooth tones.

“You have much explaining to do runner… why were you not guarding our son like we entrusted you to?”

Unsatisfied with her companion’s reaction, Chomper’s Mom stepped in as well.

“I agree with my mate, however I will add that we are in you and your family’s debt for keeping our son safe and fit in body to make a fine hunter someday.  For this and this alone, we will grant you are sharptooth’s trust.”

Chomper’s dad didn’t like the sentiment very much, as shown by the snarl forming on his massive visage.  ëSharptooth’s trust’ essentially meant that whoever earned it would not be considered an enemy over mates or territory, and it is usually reserved for immediate family members (such as a father wouldn’t take his son’s territory, or a mother would allow her daughter to remain within her territory until her offspring finds a suitable mate) or rare situations of life debts.

Chomper made ready to translate Ruby’s response, as he had done during their first encounter so long ago, but the fastrunner didn’t need it this time.

“Thank you,” Ruby managed in sharptooth.

It was hard to tell who was more surprised – Chomper’s parents, Swiftwalker, or the hundred jungle runners that emerged from their hiding places within the grasses and undergrowth at the moment they saw the exchange doing favourably.  It was a fairly impressive scene all around.

“You speak to great sharptooth like equal?” shouted a great adult runner from the other side of the open grassy area, who would turn out to be the Great Alpha, “…how you do that?”

In response, Ruby laughed a little bit.

“They asked me to take care of Chomper here,” she said putting a hand on the young sharptooth’s shoulder, “…so I took care of him just like they asked.”

Whispers swirled around as various runners discussed the meaning of this new development.  The Great Alpha ignored them, and continued.

“Does this mean they friend to us?” the great male runner questioned.

Ruby looked back at Chomper’s parents.  Without pause, the young sharptooth next to her translated the question.  The two older sharpteeth looked somewhat reluctant to associate with the smaller runners as ëfriends’ even though they had dicussed at length the mutual benefit of an alliance.  Chomper’s mom just smiled slightly, while his dad rolled his eyes.  He hated giving up such a massive free meal… even if it meant hitting back at Tyron.

Satisfied it was settled, Ruby turned back to the Great Alpha.

“They are friends.”

A few of the runners cheered loudly, and eventually the whole thing picked up as all the jungle runners celebrated their newfound allies.  If the outcome of the coming battle had been in doubt before, in their minds it was almost a guaranteed victory now.

“I must say… you have impressed me once again my young plains runner.”

Ruby jerked her head upwards towards the sky, as did Chomper, to observe a familiar navy blue wingtail with an echelon tail circling low overhead.  Aizon had arrived.

Coming for a smooth landing in front of the two runners and the sharptooth, the Grand Creator placed his hands together in both an expression of pride and thoughtfulness. Readjusting his elegantly crafted glasses, the highly intelligent wingtail stepped forward towards them.

“Wow,” mused Chomper in wonder, “…what is that thing on your head?”

Aizon smiled smugly… he loved getting the chance to explain his creations.

“This is an external vision corrector, modified from a thrice bent rod of pure volcanic glass and moulded in a thermalic vent for precisely thirty-six denticells before being shaped to fit my hornic nose… but enough about me.”

It was a good thing Aizon decided to switch topics, as he had pretty much lost everyone on the fourth word.

“I was right to give this task to you Ruby… your multitude of friends will lend us the power we need to beat the greatest of the sharpteeth that will stand in our way.  I am proud of you.”

“Thank you,” responded Ruby, glad for his condolences.

Surprisingly, Aizon turned to Swiftwalker next.

“You should keep her close… she’s a nice ëcatch’ if you know what I mean.”

Swiftwalker was confused at the statement, and turned towards Ruby for help.

“What wingtail mean you ënice catch’… you not water swimmer.”

Ruby didn’t answer... not because she didn’t know what to say but because she was far too busy blushing with friendly embarrassment.

Glide left the clearing as soon as it became apparent that all parties involved were in safe hands.  It wasn’t that he didn’t care about the events transpiring there, since he had other more important business to attend.

He had seen wingtails last night, and not just any wingtails but the elders themselves – both the blessing and the bane of his current existence.  A blessing in the sense that he had met friends he otherwise would never have had, and a bane in the sense that their edicts forced him into the crowd with Eybron and kept him away from protecting his sister.  Now that they were so close, he wanted answers.

A few hours later the great circle was just starting to dip as the late afternoon set in, and the black wingtail came across the current residence of the most important wingtails in the world… which turned out to be a dimly lit collection of canopy trees separated from the mainland on an island in the Abyssal Lake.  The elders clearly valued the protection from land attacks that was provided, and with things being so tense lately between the wingtails and the land walkers of all types it was better safe than sorry.

Glide coasted up to the biggest of the trees, and two wingtails took off to try and stop him.

“Halt,” stated one of the royal guards, a dark red wingtail, “the elders are preparing for rest, and cannot be disturbed.”

“Well I’m going in there whether you like it or not,” stated Glide defiantly, “I have given a lot in the name of the elders, and I won’t be pushed around by you guardian types anymore!  If you try and stop me, I can’t guarantee either of your safety.”

Both of the guards were required by wingtail law to attempt to grab him and drive him to the ground to protect their charges, but those said laws had been broken and changed so many times recently it was hard to tell which ones needed to really be enforced.  Not only did that play a role, but also the fact that Glide was a nasty opponent, and he had a reputation not only from the Fish Fights but also from his knockout punch just as the sharpteeth attacked.  He was not an enemy anyway, so the guards did the right thing and simply let him carry on into the tree.  A brush through the leaves, and the black wingtail was inside.

“Your scars are healing up really nice mother,” commented a young grey female wingtail, “if dad were still around, he would say you were just as beautiful as ever.”

“If your father was still alive I would stick my fist between his eyes for dying,” remarked Cinceel with a hint of humour, which was unlike her.

The daughter of the venomous elder had followed her mother from the Feral Forest to make sure her wounds weren’t becoming infected, and thanks to the specialized herbs she had learned to use as a healer it was looking like her mom was as cynical and as insensitive as ever.  The herbs must be doing their job.

“Why do you keep putting this on me every night dear?” commented Cinceel bitterly as her daughter wrapped a large birthed leaf around the inside of her right wing.

“Because it’s good for you mother… it will make sure you heal up nice and strong.”

“Nice and Strong…. Hah… I haven’t been either of those things in many seasons.”

Running out of healing juice, the daughter turned around to get more from her small carved rock bowls, only to come face to face with an unfamiliar black wingtail.

“Can I… help you?” she asked considerably.

“Yes you can,” answered Glide bitterly, “…get out.”

A flash of fear crossed the daughter’s eyes, and reluctantly she left… hopping up a few branches and making way through the curtain of leaves.

“What’s taking so long dear?” inquired Cinceel over her shoulder, unaware of the intruder in her midst. “I’m tired and I need my rest.”

“That’s not all you need,” commented Glide aggressively, and the elder wingtail jumped around and turned to face him with rage.

“This is my private tree… how dare you barge in here and…”

“And do what?” interrupted Glide, “call you up on all the hell you and yours have put me through?  It’s a good thing I’m not here to do that then. Where is my sister?  Is she safe?”

Cinceel hissed in anger and flapped her wings threateningly.

“You think you can just come in here and question my judgement?  I am the leader of the elder council and I will not tolerate this–”

The elder grey wingtail was stopped from speaking as Glide grabbed her by the throat and jammed her aggressively against the trunk of the tree, pinning her to the bark.

“I will not ask you again…where…IS…MY…SISTER?”

Cinceel struggled, but it was useless… he was too strong and he had her caught in a very undignified position.

“Fine,” the grey wingtail said in a tone of defeat, “just let me go and I’ll tell you where we think he took her.”

“He took her!?!” raged Glide uncontrollably, “you make up and enforce the laws of the wingtails like sharpbeaks, and you just let Eybron take my Star against her will?”

“He…betrayed us…” Cinceel managed, fearing for her life, “went…to… Eye…World.”

Against his anger, the black wingtail let her go, and she collapsed onto the branch.  She would have rolled down and fallen to the ground had Glide not reached out at the last second and caught her.

“The bad things you all have done,” repeated Glide as he held onto her arm and her onto his, “I should let you fall for giving that maniac the power to do and kill as he pleased.”

“We’re sorry,” begged Cinceel quite sincerely, “we didn’t know… we wanted to get revenge on the sharpteeth and we knew he knows how to do it...”

Glide raised an eyebrow.

“We?”

Dangling for her life, Cinceel knew this was the biggest pride swallowing moment of her entire existance.

“Alright… I…  I… made the mistake of trusting Eybron when I knew he was capable of such bad things, and…I… went along with it when Tenebron arranged to send you and Sky away to make room for his son to mate with your sister.”

Glide snarled with range.  Every fibre of his being was telling him to let go, and let the vile elder plummet to her death, but deep down he knew that it would solve nothing.  His biggest priority now was to ensure his sister was safe, and killing Cinceel would solve nothing.

“Don’t let her go, Glide.”

Surprised, the black wingtail whirled his head on the spot to turn to face a familiar brown wingtail… his Uncle Sturgeon.

“Sturgeon,” stated Glide with surprise, “Uncie…what are you doing here?”

“I was elected to the council of elders, in the wake of the current vacancies that needed to be filled,” answered Sturgeon with pride and authority, “killing one of our own will not save my niece, my boy… I urge you to make the right choice.”

It was a little bit late, as Glide had already decided to pull her up… but it certainly gave him a reason to doing it without admitting any weakness.  Almost effortlessly, the black wingtail pulled up Cinceel, and she collapsed on the branch in exhaustion.

“She said something about ëEye’ and ëWorld’,” remarked Glide, “is that where Eybron has taken her?”

Sturgeon nodded.

“Yes.  You must hurry to the Northern Mountains and stop him before he does whatever he is planning to do, and rescue your sister.  Me and Fliela will be waiting and hoping for you, Great Glide.”

He knew what he needed to do.  Glide felt invigorated by his anger, and looked forward to his final revenge.  Silently, the black wingtail vowed not to rest until he stood over Eybron’s bloody corpse and had avenged the great wrongs inflicted against his family.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow a whole week without any reviews or opinions... I guess this chapter must have been pretty blah compared to the last few ones. Admittedly, Chomper's reuniting with the gang did seem like a bit of a formality compared to the real focus of the action I was aiming to write in (like the attack on the Sonicron) but unfortunately even the best parts aren't so great unless posted in order.

Or, maybe its a well recieved sign that it's just not proper to continue writing LBT fanfiction anymore.  I'm kinda concerned about how Far Away Home seems to be the only one active at the moment, and maybe its for a reason.  Ideas for Blacksun have been circulating around both on paper and in my head, but if nobody really cares anymore then it may be best I don't bother writing it at all. :cry It's a bit of a pity too, Pino had such a strong role in it as well. :angel

Caustizer

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm sorry. Like I said on my art thread, lately I've been feeling spread thin and overwhelmed, with a lot of things going on in my life that have made me very distracted and forgetful. I'm also guilty of being a horrible procrastinator. :bang It's been difficult for me to post on the GOF as much as I used to. :oops

Please do not interpret my lack of posting as a lack of interest in your story. I'll post a review of the chapter today. My apologies again for failing to respond sooner.

I don't understand why no one else has posted, though. :confused

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Argh…When will I learn not to make promises? :rolleyes :slap I have started writing the review, but a long, stressful, complicated day containing a higher-than-average amount of family drama has both prevented me from having much time for GOF activity, and left me too worn out to complete the review tonight. So, like every other project I have to work on, I’m afraid this will have to wait another night. :oops Watch this spot, though; a review WILL be posted very soon.

EDIT: Decided to make a new post for the review.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Wait.... WHAT!?  :blink:
Since when did you post a new chapter? How didn't I notice it?  :o >__<

I haven't read it yet, but I want you to know that I'm still interested in FAH!  :smile
I'm terribly sorry for my stupidity for not noticing your update...  :oops

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As usual, I took much longer to finish the job than I think anyoneóincluding myselfówould have liked, :rolleyes but at last, here is my review.

Good news for you: I loved this chapter. :smile So much happened in it: along with a number of reunions, there was a whole lot of exposition on past events, both between characters and for the reader.

I was so happy to finally get to hear Siak’s backstory. I can’t say I expected it to be so tragic. :blink: I didn’t expect to find out that she’d had children either. :! (Hmm…I’d love it if a few of Siak’s descendants appeared in Into Black Sun. I can dream, can’t I? :angel)

I loved finding out what had happened to Chomper and Glide since they met up with Chomper’s parents, as well. It was very interesting to hear about it from the different perspectives of Chomper and Glide, the former enjoying the experience for the most part, the latter finding it nerve-wracking for much of the time. I also liked it that a reasonable part of the chapter was written from Chomper’s parents’ perspective, and described what had happened to them since they left Ruby in charge of Chomper. It’s really refreshing to hear dialogue from non-villainous sharpteeth besides Chomper. (I suppose Thud sort of qualifies too, though; I’m still wondering what happened to him and he’s been up to.)

Attribute it to short-sightedness or forgetfulness if you wish, but I was honestly surprised when it turned out that the sharpteeth the characters were running from were Chomper’s family. I was afraid that perhaps Tyron’s followers had somehow found out about the wingtail-runner alliance, and sent some Stalkers to crush it. There really were a lot of surprises for me in this chapter, another one being that Thylo actually broke up a fight. (I at first thought that she jumped in because she was excited about it. :lol)

Glide doesn’t seem to be one for reunions, does he? :p This is the second time he’s passed on meeting the jungle runners. Also, isn’t this just the fourth time in the story that Glide has interacted with the wingtail elders? (The other times, as I remember, were when they gave him his mission to retrieve the Occular, when he returned to them afterwards having failed, and at the incident at the Sonicron.) Somehow I keep forgetting the timeline of events in the wingtail storyline, and how they fit together. :oops I should probably return to the beginning of the story and re-read the entire thing at some point before the finale, though I have no idea when I’ll have the time to do that. :unsure:

Normally this would be the point where I would share my list of spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors I had spotted while reading the chapter, but first I wanted to ask you something, Caustizer. I hope I don’t sound audacious or anything with this question (and if you disapprove of me posting it here I will gladly delete it), but do you actually use my proofreading comments to make revisions to the story? If you’d prefer speedier responses to newly posted chapters, and the errors I point out never get corrected, then I might as well skip spellchecking the chapters, as this really is the longest and most painstaking part of the reviews I write, and are truthfully a large part of the reason I often fail to post right away. (If I do stop checking for errors in the text, I will still continue to point out any mistakes or problems I see with the story itself, like the one regarding Ruby’s father way back in Part III of Act 2). I did find one fairly significant error in this chapter where Glide referred to Sturgeon as “Uncie”, but in the interest of not delaying this review any longer, that is the only one I will point out for now.

My apologies again for the belatedness of this review. I really enjoyed the chapter (I keep forgetting it’s a half-chapter!), and despite what my slowness to respond might seem to imply, am very excited for the next installment. :yes

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
In truth, I only go back and fix the most blatant of spelling mistakes in any particular chapter and on occassion I disagree with the recommended corrections (like changing the places of commas, adding ';' and so on) but if it helps you complete the reviews quicker then by all means forgo the spelling check.

'Uncie' was originally my attempt at creating some recognition between Glide and Sturgeon on a family level, but looking at it now it just sounds stupid.  I'll go back and change it for sure.