The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Beatles: Rock Band

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Has anyone else played this game yet? I've just rented it a few days ago and I think it's a pretty awesome music game.

This game has 45 of the Beatle's best songs on there, from all over their career. Ranging from The Cavern gigs all the way to their roof-top concert on the Apple building in London.

My favorite song on this disc is definitely Helter Skelter.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
This is just a personal opinion of mine, but I think releasing this as a standalone game probably was not the smartest thing. I mean sure it is awesome to have Beatles songs on Rock Band, but this could have easily just been done as a track pack like the ACDC songs. Plus this will mainly pertain to people who are true fans of the Beatles. Those who don't even know who the Beatles are will probably avoid this game, and those who know the Beatles but aren't a true fan of the game may not want to purchase the game in order to play a couple of songs he/she likes. This game went up against Guitar Hero 5 in terms of which music party game would be victorious, and for the first time I think Guitar Hero managed to beat Rock Band with their release. It has a wide variety of songs from many different artists and will continue to include downloadable content. Sure you will be able to download more songs by the Beatles in RBB, but that's about it. What about artists who toured with them? What about artists who were inspired by them? etc...

In my opinion, this game is great for those who really REALLY love the Beatles, but for those who haven't heard of them or have only heard of a few of their songs this may be too out there, i don't know.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
There were quite a number of reasons that Harmonix released The Beatles: Rock Band as a new game rather than just a track pack, which mainly revolve around too many game engine changes to incorporate the songs into RB 2.  They wanted the game to be a Beatles experience rather than just a few songs?  Was this the right move?  I'm disappointed because now I can't go out and add one or two Beatles songs to my RB2 game and I know I won't be buying this game because I'm really not much of a beatles fan.  That being said, it's true that Harmonix didn't have to make these game engine changes but here's a question:

Who is going to be interested in a game that's clearly for Beatles fans?  Beatles fans, right?  How many Beatles fans are there in the world?  *A lot*.  I don't think Harmonix is too concerned about alienating fans, simple because of their choice of one of the most popular bands who ever existed.

As for some new features that were included which could not have been brought to the game if it were simply a track pack. because of the sheer complexity to add to Rock Band 2 and the effect it would have on the coding of other songs in the game (or even patch download size, which would at least mean it couldn't exist on Wii):

1) Multi-part vocal harmony support.
2) Custom venues (and no venues from Rock Band / 2)
3) New structure for Career mode
4) Different unlockables (Beatles memorbilia, rather than songs and options)
5) no character customization (you're a beatle :p)

Harmonix was really going for an experience feel, which, while I completely agree sucks for non-Beatles fans who won't want to spend $50 or $60 on this game, seems to have quite a lot of appeal to the hundreds of thousands of Beatles fans who enjoy video games.

How many other music games have multi-part harmony?  How many other music games let you be *The Beatles*?
Exactly.

Smart?  Dumb?  I can't say but the game at least seems profitable so far.