The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wii U

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, I had a nice surprise for today and had my Wii U arrive while I was home.  I decided to immediately try it.

After a LONG setup (Trust me, it's best to do this on an off day like me.  It definitely takes a while to set up.  Especially with the update at hand.) and a few restarts, I got to set up my Mii.  Apparently this has a photo option so you can make your Mii look just like you.  After a few adjustments of that, my Mii was all set.

This thing came bundled with the game Nintendo Land.  So, free game in hand, decided to try it.

In all honesty, Nintendo Land is just a lot of fun.  I really enjoyed 9 of the 12 mini-games it had to offer.  The other 3 I didn't get to try as they are for 2 or more players and I live by myself. (Maybe I'll set up something to get neighbors to play.  I don't know.)

The main tour guide is a little annoying, but aside from that, there's really nothing to complain on this one.  The games are fun, easy to play and challenging to beat.  Not to mention offer a lot of variety.  It's just a good game that helps you get used to the new console.

As for the game pad, quite comfortable actually.  The controls are also very well done as well.  To be honest, I have no complaints.

Really, this is looking like a good first impression.  I have nothing bad to say about it. (Save for the first update taking FOREVER!)

So yeah, good first impression and I look forward to more.

Up until Christmas, compatibility testing.  After all, it is said to be backwards compatible with EVERY Wii game.  So, let's test that, shall we? :)

See ya later! :D

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Oh great, now it begins. By week's end, I have a feeling that pokeplayer's review will be the only positive one given the Anti-Nintendo atmosphere that's overly dominant here on GoF.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Why do you take such things to heart? Even if pokeplayer's review turns out to be the only positive one, why would that bother you? When I read some other of your recent posts, I have the impression that you think people are attacking you personaly, that when they disagree with you, you assume they have a grudge against you or look down on you. Sure, members do make mistakes, they do sometimes lack sensitivity (I first can be accused of this), but there's no bad intent on their part and you shouldn't get so fired up in discussions.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Since I have not tried out the Wii U myself, I don't know yet what I think of it. I don't know when I'll be able to because I can't cough up over hundreds of dollars on a single item (the console itself in this case).

So the only way for me to play it is if someone I know (such as my brother) buys it and lets me play with it, I get it as a gift, or I get it at a much lower price (used specifically). But once I'm able to take my time and play on the Wii U, I'll post up how I feel about it.

Why do you take such things to heart? Even if pokeplayer's review turns out to be the only positive one, why would that bother you? When I read some other of your recent posts, I have the impression that you think people are attacking you personally, that when they disagree with you, you assume they have a grudge against you or look down on you. Sure, members do make mistakes, they do sometimes lack sensitivity (I first can be accused of this), but there's no bad intent on their part and you shouldn't get so fired up in discussions.

I agree with this. I don't see why you get so upset when someone disagrees with you, WR. Disagreeing with you isn't the same as attacking you or disrespecting you or looking down on you. I've disagreed with you in the past but that doesn't mean I think you are stupid for liking what you do or disliking what you do. It is your opinion and it's not my business what you like or dislike. You can show the same respect to others by accepting their opinions as well. You don't have to agree; just accept their tastes are different than yours.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
remember to keep things civil wr, and that applies to everyone here. i have no clue if wii U will be sucessful, although given nintendos track record, the odds are better that it will suceed than fail..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Is the Wii U strictly portable or can it be played on the TV as well? I'm confused about that.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Nov 27 2012 on  12:11 PM
Is the Wii U strictly portable or can it be played on the TV as well? I'm confused about that.
There are to be two types of games in the future.  Ones for portable with the GamePad controller, which you will have to download, and ones for more complex play that require the TV. (Batman, Metroid and Zelda are highly expected to be most well done for this area and not use it as just a gimmick like the others.) For now though, there's only games that require a TV.  Let's just see what the future holds. :)

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Let's be careful with the open assumptions shall we? Just because every other troll out there on the net stares down on a Nintendo console as "kiddie's concept machine that's not worth the attention of the hardcore gamers" doesn't mean that that kind of lack of decorum occurs here. Everyone here is tolerant and open to opinions as well as being entitled to their own. Any unjust behaviour is dealt with as necessary and I'm pleased to say that I have not had to impose my efforts on anyone in this part of the forum for quite some time and that's how it will stay so long as people adhere to the agreements. There is no "Anti-Nintendo" air to the forum and anyway, everyone knows that there is zero tolerance for console warring in this part in particular. Let's just get that straight. Keep the discussions civil please and let's not throw out unsubstanciated comments.

I haven't invested in a Wii U (it's not out here until 30th Nov) but I have been following its progress since its revelation as Project Cafe way back when. It's definitely a machine I'd invest in but as of yet, I'm always dubious about landing brand spanking new machine on day one. Normally by the second or third generation of console lifespan is when I tend to find most of the bugs, kinks and general early teething problems are ironed out. The innovative features of the new little white box do intrigue me and I like the ideas implemented. Thankfully it has a good support cast of first and third party games to it launch arsenal including a few exclusives. There are a few issues that do bring some thoughts to mind (e.g. data transferral from your Wii to Wii U only having a dedicated amount of space on the Wii U's storage and the OS taking up a nasty chunk of the system's memory banks.) but these are the issues I can see being looked at and receiving attention in future models (i.e. after the first wave). I can say I'll probably be landing a Wii U at some stage but I've learned to be patient with new tech. I won't be at any midnight releases (besides, it's on a school night :p) but one shall be mine in due course.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
If memory serves, aren't there games you can play on both the TV and pad? I remember one of the selling points being "you can let someone else have the TV because you don't have to stop playing because of the pad".

Yeah, I know you're not attacking or disrespecting me. I just get tired of people picking on Nintendo.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Don't worry WR, I think most of us here on the GoF actually like  Nintendo. Most likely we all grew up with Nintendo games... Heck I haven't actually owned another brand system.

As for the Wii U, I'd love to see it go down in price.. I may actually consider getting one then ;)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Nov 27 2012 on  01:49 PM
If memory serves, aren't there games you can play on both the TV and pad? I remember one of the selling points being "you can let someone else have the TV because you don't have to stop playing because of the pad".

Yeah, I know you're not attacking or disrespecting me. I just get tired of people picking on Nintendo.
Oh yes, there's also that.  In fact, one of the launch titles, New Super Mario Bros. U, is one of those.

As far as I know, Nintendo Land, Batman, Metroid and Zelda will require both.  The rest, we'll have to see.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Smart move, Nintendo. I've already asked for one for Christmas, because that feature sounds very appealing, since I have roommates.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think that feature will make it appealing to many folks & families.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, no fighting over the TV at least where it concerns the Wii-U.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I enjoyed the Wii a lot, and I really wanna get the Wii U, but I don't have the money right now. Probably sometime next year I'll be able to. I can't wait to try out NSMB U, and Pikmin 3 whenever it comes out. Little Inferno looks interesting, a lot like World of Goo, which I adored. The next Smash Bros is probably still a couple years away, since we know NOTHING about it right now, but I'm going to be watching out for it.

As for how it'll do, I just don't think it's gonna be as successful as the Wii was. It doesn't have anything like Wii sports. That game alone moved a ton of Wii's. It happened from all the word of mouth. Since it was such a good social game, people played it at parties or just get together, and then wanted to get it themselves. Nintendloland just doesn't seem like it has the same appeal as Wii Sports did. I don't mean that the Wii U is gonna bomb or anything, but I just don't think it has what it needs to be a real social phenomenon like the Wii was.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
There's a bit of a banter about the effectiveness of the touch screen pad. Both the pros and cons weigh up good points. Some games, as you said WR, will require the touch pad in order to play e.g. ZombiU, Arkham City Armoured Edition. People are griping about this but this is no different than having a game that requires Wii Motion Plus (or in direct translation, Xbox Kinect or PS Move) in order to play. And the idea that you can play your games on the touch screen away from the TV is a great one. Although, it is a bit daft that you can't charge the touch pad directly from the console (i.e. via phantom power). It needs its own power source in order to charge but again, this isn't far removed from having to find batteries for your Wiimotes when they went dry. I like the touch pad as a gaming innovator. I just hope that it just doesn't become a lazy tool just tacked on i.e. a map screen or pointless tapping and sliding distractions when a button press will suffice. Ninty know what they're doing and they're already reported raking in profits just from the Japan and US releases alone. The bloody things haven't reached Europe yet!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Meh, the last decent console made by Nintendo was the GameCube.  This thing looks horrible.  Controllers are big and bulky enough as it is.  Now we have some 10 pound, foot wide controller?!  No thanks.  That wouldn't have even been acceptable back in 1995.  And I imagine if you're not facing the TV directly it would be a huge pain to have to keep looking from the controller in your lap, then over to the right to your TV.  Games are supposed to be simple, relaxing, and fun.  Not a chore.  Technology doesn't make sense to me anymore nowadays.  It's like everyone's out of ideas and just wants to change stuff so they can rebrand it and make more money.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I disagree. The Wii was good. I found it really enjoyable to play and it didn't take me long to get used to it. I'm not saying Gamecube was bad. But to me, it certainly wasn't the last decent console by Nintendo. I actually enjoy the Wii more.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I haven't been a particular fan of the Wii, but ZombiU does look pretty good. Nothing else announced for Wii U looks like it would interest me though.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I got the Wii U on launch day and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Right now I only have Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros U, and Darksiders 2. Being able to play completely on the Gamepad itself is really convenient  as there have been several times where my roommate was watching TV. I'll add my Nintendo Network ID (no more friend codes) on the gamers unite page for anyone that has/gets a Wii U thats interested.

Nintendloland just doesn't seem like it has the same appeal as Wii Sports did.
I agree though I can tell you that Nintendo Land is a way better game than Wii Sports. The game has a total of 12 minigames, with some of them having multiple levels and modes. I've played the Metroid Blast minigame for over 2 hours just on the assault mode (co-op wave based missions). There is also a vs. mode as well that I haven't touched. Finally each attraction has 5 stamps (achievements) to try and work towards.

Meh, the last decent console made by Nintendo was the GameCube. This thing looks horrible. Controllers are big and bulky enough as it is. Now we have some 10 pound, foot wide controller?! No thanks. That wouldn't have even been acceptable back in 1995.
The Gamecube, while imo was great, actually performed very badly. The total sales was only 21.74 million units (compared to 32.93 million units of the N64 and 97.18 million units of the Wii) according to wikipedia.  I also really enjoyed the Wii and put more time into my Wii than my 360.

Now onto the Gamepad itself. It is actually amazingly light weighing in at only 500 grams (or 1.1 lbs). For comparison, Amazon has the weight of an original Xbox controller listed at 1.2 lbs. Also, the package on my loaf of bread says 570 grams. The controller has also been ergonomically designed and is quite comfortable to hold.

While I understand the idea behind your argument on the Wii U, throwing out random numbers like 10 lbs without any research does nothing but hurt your overall argument.

Games are supposed to be simple, relaxing, and fun. Not a chore.
As a gamer I have to disagree with this. While I do enjoy my fair share of simple games, simple games can sometimes get boring quickly. I like to challenge myself and adding complexity is one way of doing so. Heck, theres times when I'm not even having fun anymore but I am determined to keep playing to overcome the difficulty (Some of the challenges in New Super Mario Bros U as a recent example). Without challenge you don't get better.