The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What unusual jobs have you had?

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Turns out you CAN get paid to sleep.

Things are really looking up for me, because I just found a new job! (My last one, a sci-fi Game Master for Mongoose corporation, stopped when the company discontinued the department.) For 4-8 hours a day (depending on if I do one or two sessions,) I get paid to take my clothes off and stand perfectly still for four hours.

Best part is that if I'm particularly tired, they'll just paint me sleeping. Win/win?

This has me thinking, a lot of people have talked about the difficulties of finding jobs. Well, both of my jobs (playing sci-fi Dungeons & Dragons, and art modeling) require no skills whatsoever yet pay above minimum wage; I just had to know where to look. What unusual jobs have you held? Perhaps anyone on the GOF trying to find a job could use this thread as inspiration ;)

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
Would you believe I got paid to test bras? This was a few years ago and I got in on a lot of market research projects. Amazing that one can earn extra money just to try and evaluate all kinds of products from cat food to laundry soap.

Now, about the bras. I am a..ahem.. full figured gal, and I was hired to try out a variety of not-yet-on the market bras for two weeks. Yes I got paid well but I also came away hating underwires. Ouch! :lol One I gave high marks is still on the market, a design I still wear with much success.

Anyway, my market research days are pretty much over but I still qualify for the occasional study.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I've yet to get a job, but I've finally signed up for four.
Don't know if paid-volunteer janitorial since '06 counts.

Ah, underwires. A pain to the under boob (especially the skin itself) unless you are...very well endowed...have huge tracts of land...take your pick.

And where the heck do you even apply to get these weird jobs?

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I don't know, you kinda do need a special skill to be an art model; the skill to not fidget! But the pay for that is pretty good. When I was at art college I saw a flyer (a paper one, not a LBT one :lol ) that said it would pay $20 an hour to model!  :wow

One time I was paid to tutor a boy in clarinet playing so he would be able to get into 7th grade band class since he wasn't in 6th grade band. Does that count as unusual?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I can pretty much guarantee NO ONE will be asking me to nude model, ever.

The oddest job I ever had was converting a sandbox into a dog house.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf