The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Giving advice/support?

Saft · 4 · 852

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This might be seen as a pointless question but I am confused and I hope it is okay to ask on here.

When giving advice/support to someone who is having a hard time with situations, the kindest way to give support is to be as helpful as possible is it not?

Not be ''supportive'' in the way that it's a condesencing harsh attitude that can be quite offensive and have the tone of:

''Get over it'' etc.

Or have I missed something completely?   :unsure:

Thanks.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
In a word: depends.
EDIT TO SOUND A LITTLE MORE FRIENDLY: But most of the time being helpful works best, yes.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It depends and varies from case to case.
Sometimes people just need to talk about their problems and are relieved if someone just listens to them.
Sometimes people just want to be comforted rather than seeking for actual solutions to a given problem.
Sometimes people really are looking for help and advise, but not all of them are ready to take the advise (and sometimes they might even take offense) if the advise is in conflict with their ideas or wishes.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
So it basically depends?  

Being helpful works but not outright harshness in giving advice?

Anyway thanks.