The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Great Day of the Swimmers

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Call me insane but here's another RP idea by yours truly :smile

I haven't thought about an elaborated plot yet, here are the main plot ideas this will be based on...
  • Ducky's family goes on a journey to a place (name and details I have yet to come up with) where (similar to the Flyers in LBT 12) they have to do a competition as a ceremony of growing up.
  • The competition might have to do with swimming (eg. a short race, a longer swim to test endurance) or it might be based on the social skills a Swimmer needs... or those things combined... something like the "Longneck Test", just more elaborated.
  • No member of the Gang or any other character we know of will be in this RP besides Ducky, Spike and Ducky's (and Spike's) Mommy. Ducky's siblings will be OC's, obviously.
  • The journey will be perilous (maybe Redclaw will stalk them or just a random raptor?)
  • This is happening quite a bit after the Tv-series. The little Swimmers will have reached about the size of a human (not to speak of Spike...)
  • The number of Ducky's siblings doesn't really matter though we should have 3 at the very least (as for it's the lowest number of them seen throughout the movies)
Anybody interested?
Inactive, probably forever.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm in, of course. Will we be able to come up with our own characterization for whichever sibling of Ducky's we're playing as?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting.  Been a while since I got to rp as Ducky's sister Diver.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That was my thought, yes :) If anybody has problems to come up with a character I can be of help :yes I might even offer you one of my Swimmer OC's (never used them so far :))

I guess a character sheet might be a good idea too :)

Name:

Physical appearance:

Personality:

Oh, and maybe, if the characters have a speech pattern of some sort like Ducky has, state that in your character sheet.

Guess we don't need more, everything else like relations among the siblings we will develop throughout the RP:

Yeah, you can use that character Kor :)

I'll start with mine, might post two others later.

Name: Lilly

Physical Appearance: Basically, Lilly looks like Ducky but she is coloured yellow-ish green, no special features like scars etc.

Personality: Lilly has many similarities with Ducky. She's sweet, friendly and caring. She likes to play games and can be very enthusiastic. Lilly doesn't like arguing at all so she mostly avoids quarrels whenever there are some. Lilly is weak compared to her siblings, she used to be ill a lot and she isn't as good in swimming as the others - specially swimming longer distances is a huge problem. She isn't as whiny as Ducky sometimes is but she is fairly sophisticated and more mature then her sister. Lilly speaks very formal english, no accent, does say "heh?" a lot when asking.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, who else is going to join? Still waiting for you sheets :)

I don't think it makes much sense to start discussing now. The plot might depends a little on how many siblings there will be in the end...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Name: Diver

Physical appearance: a twin of Ducky, looks exactly like her.  When you see a shot of multiple swimmers who look exactly like Ducky, one of them may be Diver.  

Personality: Has a decently strong will.  Likes to dive deep and hold her breath at times to see if she can extend how long she can hold her breath.  Not easily scared, though knows to hide from sharpteeth & fast biters.  

Not sure if you'd like the background history I came up for her.  I did some looking around and found the original background of her that I did way back when.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sure, she's alright, Kor :)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Rocky

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
yeah, but how would spike fit into the plot, also it seems too OOC for the rest of the gang not to follow.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Glad you're in, jansenov :)

Well, Spike is a part of the Swimmer family so it would be odd if they leave him behind. He could help protect his siblings (he has quite grown in the meanwhile, so have the Swimmers) and cheer for them in their competitions. And yeah, the Gang won't have a role to play. They'll just get along without Ducky & Spike for a while.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^Unless the rest of the Gang crash the party at some point. But that's up to you.

Here's my character.

Name: Ruddy

Physical appearance: By this point he's slightly bigger than Ducky, with a somewhat bulkier snout, of green color with a reddish tinge to his mouth, nostrils and eyelids.

Personality: Ruddy is very communicative, even somewhat annoying, with people he knows, but can also become self-absorbed at times, avoiding contact. He is very observant, and tends to devote much thought to minor things which hardly anyone else in his family notices or finds interesting. He sometimes thinks of new games, but abandons them quickly as Ducky doesn't take much time to learn to beat him. He is somewhat jealous at the ease his eldest sister makes friends and "conquers" their parents, but also likes to be in her company, as she is often the most open to his ideas. He tends to become fully immersed in his idea and goes too far even for Ducky's tastes, however, resulting in being called both very smart and very stupid by Ducky, Lily and his mother at times, after his adventure went awry. He does not hang out with the Gang because of a nasty and very foolish incident with Cera, which she has eventually forgiven him, but the atmosphere between the two is still rather chilly. Mr. Threehorn considers him a daydreamer and a good-for-nothing. Though he's even more childish than Ducky in a way, in serious situations he can be very calm and almost recklesly brave, appearing as cold and even slightly crazy in such situations. He's very weak to a girl's tears.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^Also, he's physically stronger than Ducky, but not as agile.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good sheet :) He's going to be interesting, as will all characters, I guess.

Well, here are two more siblings of Ducky I'm using in a (yet unpublished) fanfiction of mine. I'm not sure if I will use them in this RP as well but I thought they might help others to find inspiration (and I wouldn't mind if I'm not the one who controls them ;))

Name: Lamby

Physical appearance: Lamby is coloured red-dish. She's normal-sized, very beautiful and attractive in Swimmer-terms and she has yelloe eyes with long eyelashes.

Personality: Lamby is the self-confident, talkative and naughty one among the Swimmers. Fear, she usually doesn't feel and she'd always prefer go the more adventurous way if given the chance to choose. Lamby is as cheerful as Ducky but other than Ducky she doesn't get upset easily. Her naughty, self-confident character does get her into arguments sometimes but she usually realises her mistakes quickly. She's rather childish but can act mature if she needs to.
Lamby talks in a very informal english.

Name: Edmont

Physical appearance: Edmont's back is black, his middle parts are dark-green and his belly is green too, just brighter. He's neither strong nor weak, and a little taller than the average Great Valley Swimmer. His eyes are blue like Ducky's.

Personality: Edmont, often called "Ed", is calm, friendly, caring and understanding. He's shrewd and quite wise for his young age. He is especially well-versed in interpreting signs of weather changes.
He isn't as cheerful as most of his family is and can be pretty pensive at times. He is undoubtly fairly mature compared to his siblings for which he is especially teased by Lamby.
Edmont generally doesn't mind playing games or going on "little adventures"
His way of speech doesn't have any special phrases. He only tends to use komplex sentences and words a usual boy would quite use.

By the way, you can also take Spike, Mama Swimmer and Ducky :) Just reminding you...

Rocky

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jan 26 2014 on  04:57 AM
Glad you're in, jansenov :)

Well, Spike is a part of the Swimmer family so it would be odd if they leave him behind. He could help protect his siblings (he has quite grown in the meanwhile, so have the Swimmers) and cheer for them in their competitions. And yeah, the Gang won't have a role to play. They'll just get along without Ducky & Spike for a while.
At the risk of sounding obsessive, couldn't The gang be there to cheer on ducky too?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The plot should focus on the swimmers, not on the gang.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I might be interested in taking Edmont. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You can have him :yes

I'll work on the plot tomorrow if possible... My ideas are in my first post so feel free to suggest changes etc. :)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It would be good if our swimmer society and culture has at least some basis in science.

http://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app44/app44-237.pdf

This article explains the differences in habitat, diet, anatomy (including sexual dimorphism) and behaviour between lambeosaurines and hadrosaurines. What is important here for our roleplay is that hadrosaurines didn't have pronounced sexual dimorphism (males and females looked alike), lived in open habitats where they grazed on a variety of fibrous plants, were gregarious (social) and their males didn't have permanent territories to guard (relative lack of aggresion). This is actually in agreement with LBT to a degree.

http://blogs.egu.eu/palaeoblog/2012/10/05/...to-be-an-equid/

This article talks about the sophistication of hadrosaurid teeth (they have the most complex structure in all the animal kingdom), and how they likely ate different plants in different stages of their lives. Which means that our swimmer society should pay a lot of attention to food and the meaning it has to swimmers of different ages. It could also mean that it wouldn't be out of place for swimmers to have several maturity rates or stages. As far as science is concerned, we can write about them as quite "cultured" herbivores

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Hmm... I'm trying to think of a character that would be interesting, believable, and not too out of the ordinary. How about this:

Name: Tooele  (two-ill-uh)

Physical Appearance: Tooele has a creamy-orange shade of scales and blue eyes. He's a bit bigger than Ducky is, and a stouter build.

Personality description: Tooele is a curious, thoughtful young man who's one of the older siblings in his large family. Investigative by nature, he enjoys solving problems and loves to think of possible explanations about things he doesn't understand, even if he can get carried away in his thoughts at times. He's a fairly quiet boy, and can seem a bit too reserved in conversations or meetings... Except when it's about something he's interested in, in which case he can be a tad too enthusiastic. In some regards, he's similar to his elder sister's friend Littlefoot-- however, unlike Littlefoot, who has a strong sense of duty and a desire to put others needs ahead of his own, Tooele is uncomfortable at the idea of making big decisions or handling, and prefers to delegate with others on decisions where responsibilities are shared. He is protective of his siblings, even if he's not always sure what he can say that will help in every situation, and enjoys their company in a quiet way.

One of Tooele's best friends is a flier with an accent that resembles a Baltimore southern accent, which has rubbed off on his own accent.
Edit: After researching the Baltimore accent, I realized the accent I had in mind is lost somewhere in a spectrum of Virginia Tidewater, old Georgia, costal North Carolina, southern appelaciean, and northern Virginia accents. Therefore, I'll just call it a 'mild Dixie' accent and leave it up to your own interpretation what that entails.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
What type of flyer his friend.  One of Ducky's friends is a flyer named Rhyn, who's the same type of flyer the Rhynchus is.