The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What was in the Great Valley before they came?

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Personally, I wrote a fanfic where it turned out to be choice 1, and Chomper realizes it and demands to be able to stay as an adult and bla bla bla.  

In fact, it almost leads to war, and sort of does, though it becomes a war between liberty and tyranny (my favorite kind!) rather than a war between T-Rexes and Longnecks.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No offence meant but could you stop mentioning your fanfics in threads if they're not in the Fanfiction forum?  <_<
Inactive, probably forever.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
There must have been a flyer colony at least, since nothing prevents them from getting there, and such a lush food source would not have been ignored.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I don't really think that any leafeaters would move into the place if it was crawling with sharpteeth... And if there was no game for them to hunt, predators wouldn't stay there long either. So the first variant doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I actually always thought that it was unihabited before the herds came. "That's where all the herds are going" implies to me that it was just discovered (perhaps by a flyer herd spotting it along their way) and that's why there was such a big migration with all the other herds.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I always thought that none of the dinosaurs in the original movie were even certain of the existence of the Great Valley. It was just a rumour that somewhere there laid a vast well-protected land with abundant green food. The fact that the gang and their families actually found a place that suited this description was a pure coincidence. :)

Dashaque

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTDiclonius,Feb 15 2015 on  03:04 PM
I actually always thought that it was unihabited before the herds came. "That's where all the herds are going" implies to me that it was just discovered (perhaps by a flyer herd spotting it along their way) and that's why there was such a big migration with all the other herds.
This makes sense... but it makes sense that a feel flat teeth were probably wandering around there as well.  

Either way I always thought it was cool that the families of the main cast headed there even after separation knowing their loved ones would eventually reach them.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I always thought that none of the dinosaurs in the original movie were even certain of the existence of the Great Valley. It was just a rumour that somewhere there laid a vast well-protected land with abundant green food.
"Some things you see with your eyes, others you see with your heart."

I think this quote is the confirmation that Littlefoot's Mother didn't know exactly where to go. She had hope in her heart that they'd find something like a Great Valley but they could've ended up dying in hunger as well...
Inactive, probably forever.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Aye and if I remember correctly, the original idea was that the "Great Valley" turned out to be an allegory for heaven... But let's not go there. I'm glad they've changed the script.

Dashaque

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Coyote_A,Feb 16 2015 on  11:47 AM
Aye and if I remember correctly, the original idea was that the "Great Valley" turned out to be an allegory for heaven... But let's not go there. I'm glad they've changed the script.
I believe Don Bluth came forward and said that this was never actually in the script.  I read it on a wiki though.

http://landbeforetime.wikia.com/wiki/The_Land_Before_Time

Shortly after the information was released, a rumor was spread that all five of the young dinosaurs died, with the Great Valley as an interpretation of heaven, as one of the deleted scenes. However, this has been denied by Don Bluth.