The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anyone here ever read Tolkien?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
If so, what?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I read the lord of the rings and the Hobbit. I also read some books about Tolkien's works that were largely based on information provided by Tolkien. I didn't read the Silmarilion so far, mainly because so many people told me that it was really boring compared to the lord of the rings. In case you read the Silmarilion, how did you like it?

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I have not read Tolkien at all.  I might try the Hobbit this summer if I don't have too many classes to take.  I heard it's not that easy to interpret since it pretty much is a community of a different culture of life.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I didn't find the Hobbit that difficult. Not nearly as difficult as the Lord of the Rings. My Mum even read it to me and my sister as a bedtimestory when I was seven or eight years old. There is also a marvelous comic version of the Hobbit.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Comic book? Never seen it.

I'd highly recommend reading some of Tolkien sometime, when you have the time, of course, Arven. It'd be worth it.

Word of advice if you want to read "The Lord of the Rings": Pace yourself and expect them to be a lot different than the movies, because they are.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Word of advice if you want to read "The Lord of the Rings": Pace yourself and expect them to be a lot different than the movies, because they are.

A movie can never be like the book...never. ;)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
True, but i can name at least 30 significant departures from the book right off the top of my head, but there's a lot more than that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There were quite a few things different in the movie from the the way it was in the books. Nevertheless I found it was much better a book adaption than most movies based on books are.
Some characters were left out (Glorfindel for example whome they skipped to give Arven a bit more to do) and some parts were changed (for example Saruman's death which is likely to be on the extended edition DvD, will be different).
One change that really disturbed me was the dead of Denethor. It is so impressive how he burns himself in the book, holding the Palantir after predicting a triumph of Sauron. In the book it really seems like what Sauron showed him in the Palantir drove Denethor into insanity.
He doesn't appear that insane in the movie, the Palantir is not even mentioned, instead of deliberately burning himself (though he was up to it) he is kicked into the fire by Shadowfax, and for effects sake he runs burning all the way along that rocky projection to fall down there. Really, I prefered  the book version there.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, had they kept it like it was in the book,it would have been creppier.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I read the Hobbit and I'm still trying to read the Fellowship of the Ring.

I think it's a very well written fantasy series. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I enjoyed reading those, though the Hobbit has a different feel then the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  As the Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillion each had a different feel as well.  In my opinion.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've read the hobbit myself :^.^: it was juuust a bit more interesting than "greek myths and legends" lol(I tried reading those twob ooks at the same time, no, greek myths and legends is not from tolkien)

Anyway, I liked it, but I don't think I will ever read the lord of the rings. I enjoy the movies though.. :)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've read a lot of Tolkien. The Hobbit and LOTr are some of my favorite books. I've also read the Silmarillion, which is very lengthy, and sometimes hard to keep track of who doing what when..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Im in the middle of reading Silmarillion. I also have the Hobbit and the other three(If they aren't based on the movies..)

Like i say though, chances are if i never saw the movies i would never have read the books or even knew they existed. that is what some people miss, sometimes movies inspire people to read the books or play the games. right? :)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
the movies are based off the books, although as Wr said there are numerous differences..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I read the 3 Lord of the Rings books before the movies were attempted to be made :DD . I remember the hobbit too, but the Silmarillion and other here and there, I haven't read them.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I heard Peter Jackson is shooting the Hobbit, no idea if it is true.    I enjoyed the movies overall, though some folks do hate them.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Weirdraptor on  
Anyone here ever read Tolkien?
I have! Lord of the Rings. Not bad. The movies did it justice.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The Hobbit will be made and 2nd film covering the 60 years between the Hobbit and LOTR. Both will make oodles of money...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I still did not read the Silmarilion, but I did read "The children of Hurin" last year. By the way, did anyone read the comic adaptation of "The Hobbit" by David Wenzel? Uncustomary as it may seem to have such literature turned into a comic I found the adaptation quite well done and neatly drawn. As I saw this comic when I was very young (and annoyed that I could not read it, for that was at a time when I understood not a word of English) it did influence some of my perceptions of Middleearth.