The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anyone here ever read Tolkien?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've never heard of a comic adaption.  Sounds interesting.  As for which books I've read, I've read the Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales.  Though I've not read Unfinished Tales in maybe 20-25 years.

As I recall the reason Denothor was driven insane was his using the Palantir and wrestling with Sauron.  I forgot where I read this, in an appendix or elsewhere.  Doing this drove him mad and aged him, wearing on bit by bit.  Often he would see only what Sauron wanted him to see, the hopelessness of victory and sure defeat.  I also read, not sure if it is true, that is how Saruman was ensnared into serving Sauron.  Though I also read that it was his study of the rings of power that ensnared him into wanting the 1 ring for himself and lead to his making his own ring.

It is also said that afterwards, only someone of strong enough will could really use that Palantir to see what they wanted.  Others would see only Denethor's burning hands in the stone.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes Sauraman was ensared using the Palintir. of the 7, only 3 I believe were still in existence at the time of the war. One in Orthanc, one in Bar-ra-dur,  and one in Denethor's possession. Aragorn revealed himself to Sauron by using the Palantir in I believe the third book.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think it was in that book, I'm not sure.  I think his reason was to get Sauron to act before he was ready.

I think they were made be Faenor (not sure how to spell his name) the same elf who made the Silmarils. Though I'm not sure.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They were indeed, and used to communicate across large distances. gandalf mentions a couple times about striving with the Dark Tower, whether he was casting spells, or engaged in a contests of wills, it is not made clear..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could have been a mixture of those too.  Interesting how they had interesting items like the Palantir and other things.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Indeed. I could - and have- talked for HOURS on these books.. The trilogy is truly one of the great works of the last century, and has earned Tolkien a right place amiong the true masters of literature..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I couldn't stand the first 100 pages of the Hobbit. So unbelievably boring! Otherwise, I liked all the books. I wonder why The Hobbit has not been made into a movie yet.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It was made into an animated movie i the 1970s by Rankin Bass the same guys who did all those Christmas specials... as for live action, the technology just wasn't there to film on such a wide scope. for decades it was thoughnt that it was simply impossible to bring LOTR to the big screen because its complexity and scope, not to mention how much money it would cost..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They sure have.  I remember it was interesting to read some of the unfinished tales too, and in other books reading some bits of earlier drafts, to see some of his creative process.  Though I prefer the finished, or last if unfinished, version.  

The second age is the one age we've seen the least of.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I agree. His son Christopher just didn't have the same 'magic Touch" that his father had. The Silmarrillion for example, lumbers in placs, ands its hard to keeep track of whats happening. The Second Age could be the basis of a story, because so little is written about it..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The only second age story I recall is in the unfinished tales.  It has some info of some history of Numenor also I think.  

I do agree about The Silmarrillion.  I think if Tolkein had put it out he would have not had all of that book.  He may have had just the stuff about the Silmarrillions.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Numeanor, which I believed was destroyed by Ivantur after Sautron corrupted the Kings og Numeanor..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It sank beneath the seas.  Though some ships did get away, and they had some forts and cities on middle earth.  It was due to most of them being heavily corrupted by Sauron indeed, though I think that started long before then.  There came a time before then that the elves from the west stopped coming to visit Numenor.  I think, though I don't recall maybe, that it sank when the last king (who usurped the throne) landed in the undying lands to, I think, challenge the valar.  I think I recall he was sealed in a cave or something till the last battle at the end of the world, or somesuch like that.  Don't recall his name.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think the Changing of the World, is how the destruction og Numeanor was referred to in the Silmarillion, but I'm not completek sure on that..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There was one where the flat world was made round, forgot if that was the first or second age.  The valar called on Illuvator who reshaped the world.  As I recall most of the land of Belagriad (however you spell that) was drowned by the sea.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I read that Tolkien stated the drowning of Numeanor was partly based on a recurring dream he had had. A dream involving a huge wave sweeping the landscape.

As for Denethor, I have one (German) audio play of the lord of the rings on 11 CDs, and the way they made the death of Denethor was just awesome. I don't think I have ever heard anything else so creepy. The voice actor (who had on other occasions used a very imposing voice) really managed to use a voice which made him sound like somebody had been made crack up. Accompanied by a subtle but very fitting melody in the background (kind of a flaring sound) it really was one of the most impressive scenes I ever heard in an audio play and it was an awesome interpretation of what Tolkien had written. In this respect I think that for once the makers of the movies utterly failed in coming close to what Tolkien described.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Man, I haven't read Tolkien in forever! I've only read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but they were pretty awesome. I'll have to look into his other works.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
He's done more then just those 3 more famous books.  Good luck, it shouldn't be to hard to find them.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
one of his early works is being published this year. The Legend of Sirhan" or something like that..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: