The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anyone here ever read Tolkien?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No, Bilbo did age, although much more slowly that he normally would have. The ring extended his life, in fact by the time he left on the ship with Gandalf anf Frodo, he was the oldest hobbit ever- he was 131, passing the Old Took, who was 130. They'll probably get someone else to play Bilbo, Hlm hasn't shown much interest in playing the role again.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i like Tim Curry, his evil voice is more arrogant and smarmy, when Smaug is a master of evil , deepvoiced and full of power and menace. Who should play the 3 trolls? Thats a good question, and while their roles are relatively brief, the dwarves Bilbo and Gandalf find great treasure in thier cave..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I love th troll part of the book and as for the dwarves, I can imagine one of the dwarves being played by Anthony Hopkins....or even Bob Hoskins.  

Ah well, since I have no say in who takes part in this movie, I'll just have to see.  

Eddie Izzard may also be good for a role.  I always imagine him (if they ever made movies out of The Bartimaeus Trilogy or The Old Kingdom Trilogy) to play Barimaeus or Mogget....

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Having Anthony Hopkins in a role would be great, but I'd imagine that the casting will be British for the most part, as the trilogy was.. but we;'ll see...Bob Hoskins is another favorite. He was in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? as Valiant the dectective..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I thought Anthony Hopkins was english?  

As to british casting like the previous films.  Some members of the cast were New Zealanders or Australian.  For example: Celeborn, Galadriel, Faramir, Eowyn, Eomer, Haldir and (I think) Elrond.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They'll have Elrond back in the Hobbit, although his role is small. They will also have to find someone to play the Great Goblin. Also the Elven King, and the Giant spiders...lots of roles to fill..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I also wonder who they'll cut from the movie too.  They could do most of it if they did the movie in 2 parts.  Though I guess they'll try to do it as 1 movie and have the link movie between The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings as the 2nd movie.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What about someone doing the Eagle Lord's voice?  Any suggestions?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thats a good question. Perhaps they'll have Rhy-davis do it like he did Treebeard
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The hobbit will be at least 2.5 hours, and the second film wil cover the 60 years between the Hobbit and LOTR..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I hope they do the Hobbit in two parts, atleast in two parts.  As it will give explanation and expand the storyline and characters for those who have not read the books.  Like they should have done for Harry Potter...

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Johnathan Rhys Davies could be good for the part of Eagle Lord or would he go for (once again) a dwarf part?  

Is Peter Jackson directing the movie?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They're doing it for the last Harry Potter film(break it in two parts. But for world this vast, You can't put everything in it.. and not have it run to Gone With the Wind Length.. I'd imagine that they'll try and be as faithful to the book as possible, and add when they need to..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No, he's executive producer. Gulerrmo Del Toro is directing..  Peter Jackson will have a big riole in craftig the story and how it is directed..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well if Jackson has a big role in the crafting and how the directing goes, I am not to worried.  I've neverheard of Gulerrmo Del Toro, so it will be interesting to view his work when 'The Hobbit' is released.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
He directed the third Harry Potter film "prisoner of Azkaban", which was much better recieved than the first two films... the HP films have actually gotten better as the characters have aged and matured..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah, interesting. I didn't recongnise the name.

May I ask, out of all of Tolkien's Middle Earth works did anyone enjoy or enjoy the least?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I like all of them but if I had to pick, anything written or edited by Christopher would be near the bottom..Tolkein spent decades inventing , re-inventing and adding new places characters and expanding the mythos. If he was still alive today, he'd still be at it, adding new stories and characters..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
If only he was alive today.  

If he was alive today, do you think he would have agreed with Jackson's adaption of The Lord of the Rings?

If memory recalls, I remember that Christopher Tolkien wasn't agreeable with the movie adaption but the estate couldn't do anything since the rights had been sold (I think by Tolkien) in the 1960's or around about then?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I actually think Tolkien would have been amazed at the film. Yes there were liberties taken with the film, but that can't be helped. I think if he were alive, the film would not have een made without hiring him as a adviser, after all it was his work. the finished trilogy was a masterpiece, the likes of which are only rivaled in fantasy by the original Star Wars trilogy. I think he would have appreciated the incredible fandom that the films have produced. the Films themselves would have made him, a billionaire, if he were alive today..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: