The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Oppenheimer and Barbie come out today, is anyone planning on seeing either film?

Thanks to the "Barbenheimer" meme of seeing both films back-to-back, my boyfriend and I bought tickets for last night, and it's honestly a pretty transcendent experience to watch them in rapid sequence, haha.

Oppenheimer is very good in a number of ways, excellent cinematography and acting performances, I found the pacing and several elements of the plot to be oddly written, but most of those can be excused because they were all tied to real-life events and I'd prefer a movie maintain historical continuity over making stuff up or significantly altering the timeline for dramatic effect.

Barbie exceeded my expectations on pretty much every front, I knew it was hoping to be more than a girl's movie for selling toys, and it succeeded thanks to its subversive plot, great jokes and very careful balancing of tone and message. Every actor did great, with Ryan Gosling's performance as Ken being a standout role that I didn't see coming. Overall it's visually and narratively very entertaining, and I recommend it even to people who didn't think they'd like a Barbie film.

If you decide to make it a double feature night, I highly recommend watching Oppenheimer first and Barbie second, we were pretty pleased with that viewing order, but if you get tickets for the reverse I'd be very interested to hear how that goes. We opted for a saccharine palette cleanser to end the night, and it definitely felt like the right call.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm definitely interested in seeing both. Gotta find someone to go with, as I'm not a big fan of the solo movie theater experience. Might end up just watching them at home once I can.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I've only seen Barbie so far (planning on  seeing Oppenheimer soon), but it was so much better than I thought it would be!

I was expecting zany, over-the-top stuff, but the plot was actually surprisingly deep and adult. As you said, Ryan Gosling absolutely killed it as Ken and I loved seeing more of his comedic ability. Margot Robbie was amazing too, and I can't actually think of a weak link in the cast. I'm curious what people thought of Will Ferrel's character though, somehow he felt a little out of place to me.

Definitely recommend this one though  :)

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'm curious what people thought of Will Ferrel's character though, somehow he felt a little out of place to me.

(gonna talk kinda vague to avoid spoilers)
That whole part of the narrative seemed very odd, kinda felt like it lacked payoff, but I think its job was essentially to serve as a red herring. There's a pretty obvious route we probably all expected Will Ferrell's role to go, and when he didn't it made the actual plot all the more surprising and unpredictable. Is what I think they were going for, but it certainly still seems odd in execution

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
if my local theater had both playing and i had the money i would most certainly go see both. Currently my local theater only has one of them playing.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Gonna rent Barbie digitally when it’s less expensive. Do not plan to see Oppenheimer. I am not in an emotional place to see it.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith