The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The old One

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
no topic about the old one :huh:  :huh:???

She is wise and old. Her priority is the safety of her herd though she's overprotective if you ask me.
She's the leader of Alis herd and she seems to have a lot of authority there. I consider her as a kind of dictator.

Your thoughts and facts?
Inactive, probably forever.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I liked the Old One - I know people have described her as annoying, but I thought she should have had more screen time as she seemed like an interesting character - being the Grandparents' cousin and also, she would have had amazing stories to tell.
I always found that odd that she was Ali's mom, though because she's, like... OLD :lol but then again, animals always have multiple litters so the advanced age of the mother by the time of the youngest (and possibly last) offspring is practically a given :p
I didn't like how she signed off going to the Land of Mists - even though yes it was dangerous (the herd obviously had shaky memories of that place) but to give up her cousin! Hello, lady?!
So there's my two cents
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Thing is that we learn very, very little about the Old One to base our opinions on. I don't know enough about her to judge the question implied in the fourth movie itself. After Littlefoot's grandfather calls her wise (when telling Littlefoot that he and his grandma were to join the migrating herd) Littlefoot's reaction is something along the lines of "I don't think she is that smart."
It ought to be noticed that in the fourth movie she seems to be more of the traditionalist / racist kind with her invitation to her herd expanding only to the longnecks in the Valley and with Ali's reactions to Cera, Ducky, Petrie and Spike suggesting an upbringing in that spirit.
In the controversial TV episode which features the return of Ali the Old One seems neither overly surprised nor particularly disturbed at the idea of Chomper being a friend of the gang (on a side note I still consider the moving of Chomper and Ruby to the Valley and everyone there learning about this to be a perfect basis for land before time fanfiction that requires no crossing over or non-LBT elements).

Bruton the Iguanodon

The Old One was very kindly looking in the 4th movie; I don't think I disliked her or anything, and only now am seeing her for her flaws. In the tv series, she didn't come across nearly as nice as she once did, but as Matle pointed out, I guess she's a little less racist. Maybe she's learned from Ali?  ;)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I always found that odd that she was Ali's mom, though because she's, like... OLD dino_laugh.gif
She isn't Alis mother :D Ali have a member of the herd as mother :)

I neither like her nor I hate her. Since we haven't seen her on screen much she has a great potential for fics, imo  :p
There'll always be questions about the Old One that can't be answered, though
Inactive, probably forever.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The Old One is among my favorite LBT characters. Especially in the 4th film(even if she is flawed, it certainly is better than having her be a Mary Sue), Carol Bruce did a great job bringing her to life. I loathe her TV series incarnation however, it was just...terrible.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm on the fence about this character.  While she is old, I do not necessarily see her as wise.  During the scene in which she told Littlefoot going to find the nightflowers was too dangerous, she seemed too narrow-minded about the idea.  Instead of at least trying to help the other residents come up with an alternative plan (perhaps send a huge crowd, only send flyers...I mean she knows the Land of Mists better than the valley residents :confused), she seems to only imply that it's impossible and that Grandpa Longneck should just die and everyone be okay with it.  Sadly, because she gets so little screentime, this is about the only light she is seen in.  Maybe she is wiser than she appears, but in that particular scene she did not seem helpful.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I loathe her TV series incarnation however, it was just...terrible.
What is it that she does or say or how she is presented in the TV series episode that you find just terrible Belmont?

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 13 2013 on  02:57 AM
I loathe her TV series incarnation however, it was just...terrible.
What is it that she does or say or how she is presented in the TV series episode that you find just terrible Belmont?
For one, her design. You would think a character named the 'Old One' would appear, you know, old. But she really doesn't(and it also doesn't help that the crease in her face from the 4th film is gone, as that was one of her identifying traits), to say nothing of the constant animation errors causing her to blend in with the herd at points. Also, Jessica Walter's performance wasn't nearly as convincing as Carol Bruce's was.

In the fourth film, although the Old One was a bit of a flawed character and the fact that she seemed to prefer letting Grandpa Longneck die, she did seem to have an aura of wisdom about her none-the-less and did seem kind of sympathetic.

In the TV Series, she's more like a cranky old grandmother who has next to no sympathy and just never cared about anything save for wanting Chomper dead.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Apr 13 2013 on  12:13 AM
While she is old, I do not necessarily see her as wise.  During the scene in which she told Littlefoot going to find the nightflowers was too dangerous, she seemed too narrow-minded about the idea.  Instead of at least trying to help the other residents come up with an alternative plan (perhaps send a huge crowd, only send flyers...I mean she knows the Land of Mists better than the valley residents :confused), she seems to only imply that it's impossible and that Grandpa Longneck should just die and everyone be okay with it.
My thoughts exactly. I suppose being old and the leader of a huge herd of longnecks does not necessarily mean you must be willing to risk your neck.
I remember getting so upset at the way she said, "Longnecks are not welcome there" hello? YOU lived there, why can't you save your bloody cousin?

Then again, I could sympathize with her, because in all her age, she seemed like she carried horrible memories of that place - her low, dramatic tone helped with that, immensely - and I suppose she genuinely cared about her herd enough to not want to put them through the Land of Mists, but she didn't sound like she cared, like said, about Grandpa dying.

(Sorry if I'm just reiterating what you said :p I find myself doing that a lot, lately...)

But for all her negative highlights, I definitely would have liked to see her in another episode (besides the TV series); she made a definite impression.
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
Been reading this thread and I mostly agree with the opinions expressed. The Old One could have been an interesting character, and she seemed on her way, but once again the LBT writers didn't delve deep enough. Almost every set-in-her ways Victorian matriarch -- e.g.,  Downton Abbey's Violet Crawley, Upstairs Downstairs' Lady Southwold, Little Women's Aunt March, and so on -- has some likeable qualities. Even Disney's Dinosaur's elderly characters had spunk and dignity, that film's few saving
graces.

Re-watching Land of Mists now just to wish the Old One had Maggie Smith's Violet Crawley's witty repartee.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I made her turn out to be Ali's great-great aunt and have her still around even after Ali comes of age.   (Hey, I'm 25, the age I made leaf eaters come of age in a fanfic, and my great-great aunt is still alive!  It could happen!)

She was an original resident of the Great Valley, which, in my fan fic, was originally inhabited by Sharpteeth, and they drove them out.  (Think colonists and Indians.)    Both sides were brutal to each other.  Eventually, the Sharpteeth were drive out and came to this place that became known as the Valley of Sharpteeth.  The Meanest Ever Sharptooth, sent years later by the Valley of Sharpteeth for revenge, was killed by Doc.  

The Old One, when she came of age, left the Great Valley and resolved never to settle there long term again, as she had too many painful memories.

After 115 years (yeah, now she's the REALLY Old One at age 120) and she's back to the Great Valley, this time because some fiend named the Terror of the Mysterious Beyond (long story on him.  Suffice it to say that he helped Sharptooth attack Littlefoot's mother and he's a total putz and S.O.B., not to mention pure EVIL.)  

After her return, her great-great niece and Littlefoot fall in love, though it takes some time for Ali to like Littlefoot more than Rhett.

Meanwhile, Chomper and Ruby, now near adult age, well, Ruby is an adult at this point, though still single, are running from Red Claw, Screech, and Thud and a Fast Biter army.  They might been axed, had not this helpful Sharptooth (the same species as Chomper) scratched Red Claw.  They get away and Chomper, Andromeda (the helpful Sharptooth), and Ruby go to the Valley of Sharpteeth.

Chomper finds out the rivalry between the Valley of Sharpteeth and the Great Valley and says he thinks the residents of the Great Valley are nice, which infuriates some of the residents of the Valley of Sharpteeth.

Eventually, Andromeda takes Chomper leaf eater hunting, thinking he's never been before, as he has eaten leaf eaters in 15  cold times.  (Ruby is a bit slow on that, luckily, or perhaps cannot do math as it wasn't invented yet and so realized that 20 - 15 = 5 and wonder about those 5 years that aren't in there.)  Anyway, at one point, they end up gong after Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie,  Spike, and Ali.  Chomper recognizes them all and gets Androemda to spare them.

Things go on, until finally, Andromeda being nicer toward leaf eaters, they bring her in an entrance to the Great Valley that the residents of the Valley of Sharpteeth know about but that the Great Valley residents don't.  

Chomper, who is allowed in already due to his previously being there many times, is already there, waiting to hide her till morning, point out that she never attacked anyone, and that she thus is good and can be trusted to stay there.  However, the villain spots Andromeda coming in at night and tips off the Old One, hoping to cause trouble.

Andromeda meets the Old One, and tells her she's from the Valley of Sharpteeth but that she means her no harm.  (Androomeda's leaf eater is poor at this point so she talks worse than Petrie.)  

However, the Old One, having lost friends to the Valley of Sharpteeth over 100 years earlier, and  not willing to bury the hatchet, goes into "kill the savage" mode and Andromeda gets beat down.  

Andromeda is about to end up defending herself, but Chomper, who had been on the verge of telling Littlefoot & co a secret he learned about the villain, one that could end the villain's evil reign as it would expose him for the creep he is, when he hears the fight.

He tries to get the Old One to back off, but she is too determined and is about to kill Andromeda.   Chomper leaps at the Old One, intending to push her away.  However, he misjudges his aim and accidentally impales her in the stomach with his sharp claws.  This gets blood on his claws and he has to fight off his renewed carnivorous nature (let's face it, eating hoppers, buzzing stingers, and swarm leaf gobblers can't be very filling for a near adult Sharptooth).  He comes really close to sinking his teeth into the Old One, but backs off at the last moment.

However, the Gang of Five, plus Ruby and Ali, spot him.  Only Littlefoot saw the fight in more detail, as he got there sooner.  The others believe Chomper hunted the Old One.

Chomper and Andromeda flee and are met by Littlefoot near the secret exit to the Great Valley.

There, Littlefoot and Chomper talk.

Chomper learns, after Littlefoot mentions where he found his egg, that it was actually Littlefoot, not Ozzy and Strut, that took his egg to the Great Valley.

Littlefoot, in turn, learns of the five year time that Chomper ate leaf eaters and that Chomper had, in fact, been hunting them in V and that was what that chase was all about, but he had realized that they were his friends and so backed off.  Littlefoot asks if they had been Ali instead, if he would have eaten her.  Chomper nods.  Littlefoot goes into a rage and says "Fine then, go be a Sharptooth!"  and Chomper, hearing the other dinosaurs coming, flees.

Littlefoot goes back to the Old One.  She only manages two words "Littlefoot!  Ali" before succumbing to her wounds.  It looks like Littlefoot and Chomper's friendship is over,  not to mention, the incident causes a, thankfully temporary, rift in Littlefoot and Ali's relationship too, but fortunately, it is later restored, as is theirs with Chomper, Chomper pardoned and living in the Great Valley as a permanenet resident with Andromeda, and the villain is killed.

Still, that was my take on what happens to the Old One in the end.

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
Why I find intriguing from the little screentime she has is her opinions about change and risk. The experience of the Land of Mists becoming uninhabitable for her herd seems to have made have some antipathy to change. She has little faith that the Great Valley and other locations were going to stay the same forever and believes that a strict migratory life was the only constant that might be present in life. She seems a reserved, solemn sort whose resigned to the unchanging and changing dangers of life. When Grandpa Longneck fell ill, she wasn’t going to have her herd or anyone else to risk their lives to help a stranger near the end of his lifespan anyway. It’s cold, but I can see her logic.

Not that she can’t care for others. Whatever her apparent sternness and rigidity, it comes out of making sure the most people are safe. When she warns Littlefoot the journey for the Night Flower’s too dangerous, her gaze turns sympathetic. She does offer Great Valley longnecks the opportunity to join her herd after her speech about the world changing and she integrates with Rhett’s herd later on. She and her herd does attempt to chase or stomp out Chomper when they see him as a threat to the valley. When Chomper reveals he can talk, Old One shows some clear misgivings about actually hurting the youth, not knowing what was for the greater good of others. It shows that, whatever her thoughts of other dinosaurs and especially sharpteeth, she doesn’t wish to harm innocence. When the misunderstanding get cleared up, she scolds Rhett and the gang for the lies and foolish plot to expose said lies.

As for why Old One comes to approve of Chomper when she learns all the facts…I’m still unsure. I’m sure I can make up a explanation that gells with her previous leeriness of change but the closest I can think of at the moment is maybe bumping into other herds of all kinds, both single species and mixed, loosened her up? I’m not sure but it was interesting to extrapolate a character like Old One despite her having a limited amount of screen time.

LBT90321

• Spike
    • View Profile
I agree with you
She must've like being young and many years later she's now old.
Even though she's old, She is still a 52 foot tall gigantic Apatosaurus Dinosaur.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: DaveTheAnalyzer,Mar 18 2017 on  03:29 AM
As for why Old One comes to approve of Chomper when she learns all the facts…I’m still unsure. I’m sure I can make up a explanation that gells with her previous leeriness of change but the closest I can think of at the moment is maybe bumping into other herds of all kinds, both single species and mixed, loosened her up? I’m not sure but it was interesting to extrapolate a character like Old One despite her having a limited amount of screen time.
The Old One's herd had only started migrating after their home turned into the Land of Mist, so when we first meet them in the 4th movie they're probably still getting used to this new life. And from what we saw of their place in flashbacks it would appear that longnecks were the only big dinosaurs inhabiting it. So maybe that's where the Old One's and Ali's wary demeanour towards other species comes from... Yes, this seems logical. :yes
I wonder where the herd's leader got the scar around one of her eyes though. Couldn't have been from one of the bellydraggers since it doesn't look recent. :unsure:

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
Ah, I don’t remember talk of their herd only being recently migratory. Now that you mention it, the first question Old One asks is if there has been any change in the land. That recent experience must explain Old One’s cool mood. All of them must have been still reeling from being forced to leave their home and that contributed to the cynical mindset about any one environment remaining the same.

I can also see the lack of contact with other dinosaurs making her wary but I could also see how the changing land and the new residents made them cautious of anyone who wasn’t a longneck (and even then, there might still be caution there). Maybe after Old One remained traveling for several cold times and probably met other kinds of herds did she loosen up, which might have contributed to her having a more open view of Chomper’s presence in the valley.

I don’t know where she might have gotten the scar either. Inter-longneck conflict? From a predator when she was younger? An unfortunate encounter with a particularly sharp rock or tree branch? Whatever its origin, I wonder if it contributed to her cool and cautious attitude.