The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Chomper and Cera Parents

Kittybubbles

• Member+
  • Chomper
  • Also known as DesertLily32 on FF.net
    • View Profile
Has anyone noticed that Chomper nor Cera look anything like their parents? Chomper is lavender and his parents are green, though he does share their red eyes. Cera and her sisters also look nothing like their parents, which are gray and black/dark brown eyed. Another interesting note I noticed is that Dinah and Dana are both a gray coloration.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Could be a recessive trait. Not good at explaining this, but Chomper's parents could both have 1 recessive gene for purple skin, and Chomper happened to get both of those recessive gens from his parents, making his skin purple, since there's no dominate gene to cover it up. Same thing with Cera's parents.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Kittybubbles

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Jul 3 2015 on  09:26 AM
Could be a recessive trait. Not good at explaining this, but Chomper's parents could both have 1 recessive gene for purple skin, and Chomper happened to get both of those recessive gens from his parents, making his skin purple, since there's no dominate gene to cover it up. Same thing with Cera's parents.
Yes, that is plausible, and I’m most people write/think that way when they read, but what if it wasn’t a recessive trait?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I know some people wrote fanfictions where Cera and her siblings weren't Topsy's children but some other male's. Including your fanfiction if I remember correctly... :p
Inactive, probably forever.

Kittybubbles

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jul 4 2015 on  06:08 PM
Well, I know some people wrote fanfictions where Cera and her siblings weren't Topsy's children but some other male's. Including your fanfiction if I remember correctly... :p
Yep, that was mine :p

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Jul 3 2015 on  09:26 AM
Sounds pretty plausible of a theory. Go science! :D

Though I've seen fanfics that can prove otherwise...

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
Yeah, I lean toward the recessive gene explanation. As much as I like to explore complex and conspiratorial explanations for things, on this one, here I go with Occam’s razor.

Though speaking of these parents…I do like what we see of Chomper’s parents. They are such tough softies. They aren’t afraid to be stern with him but they do give him affection. Their occasional worry about his strange interests doesn’t belie their adoration of him. From what we see of Daddy Sharptooth, with lines like “Sure we can use some desert” and “Anything that smells like that couldn’t taste very good anyway,” he’s the type who you can’t tell is joking or not. I bet he likes to wind up Chomper or make him laugh with that humor. Mommy Sharptooth is the type of person who’s tough to enemies and prey but mush to those she likes. For example, there was that moment where she encountered Chomper and Littlefoot, and gave her son a stern look before nuzzling him. Another moment was when she directly reassured Littlefoot’s gang that they were off the menu. I bet she’s an affectionate sort.

However, I can’t help wondering if Chomper’s parents worry about how well they’re keeping him safe. In movie 5, Papa Sharptooth says “You had us worried sick, Chomper!” I know in the Doylist sense that this line was meant for humor, but Watsonian-wise, I can’t help thinking there’s more to that. Keeping track of a child must be a nightmare for sharptooth parents, but with passed incidents and Chomper’s peculiar interests, it must be especially concerning for Chomper’s parents. Not only did they lose Chomper’s egg while away, but they nearly killed him while chasing Littlefoot’s gang. Those close brushes on their first days as parents must have made them very guilty. They want to give him freedom and don’t want to discourage him from what makes him happy, but what might be happening to him must always be on the edge of their thoughts.

When Daddy Sharptooth knocking Plated Sharptooth into ocean ended up endangering Chomper as well, that guilt and worry must have been amplified. They could only stand back as Littlefoot and then Elsie saved Chomper for them. Though grateful for that help from unlikely places, maybe they started to feel inadequate. If there had been an altercation between Redclaw and them that precipitated Ruby and Chomper going to the valley, that feeling of parental inadequacy must have been amplified. They might feel like failures as parents they couldn’t protect Chomper in anyway but to send him away. The separation must have been hard for both the parents and Chomper, as it’s clear from what’s seen they mutually adore each other. If word ever got out about Chomper and the gang’s exploits particularly against Redclaw, there must be a mix of pride and concern for their loveable quirky son.

Whew. That was challenging but fun and raised a few points I haven’t given much attention before. I’ll write something about Cera’s parents next time.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ceras dad he wasn't my favorite character at all. I hated his biggot ways with controlling the herd. And he was to dumb and stubborn to admit he was wrong on basically everything. He was never a good born leader at all. He out the herd in danger most of the time. So I was never found of him as a character.

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I’ll begin with Tria. I’ve been thinking about her a lot recently as I attempt to wrap my mind around what kind of person she is. I didn’t want to reduce her to finger wagging at her mate and daughters, so I’ve attempted to think of reasons why she behaves the way she does.

There is an interesting line from “The Great Log Running Game.” When Cera assures she could handle her hurt ankle because she’s a threehorn, Tria responds “That’s what I’m afraid of.” I’m not sure how common Mr. Threehorn’s attitude and threehorn pride is among threehorns but I suspect Tria doesn’t subscribe to it. She doesn’t seem to mind it in Mr. Threehorn but she prefers to smooth over conflict by talking it out reasonably and lightening the mood with some teasing. She probably sees being aggressive over every little thing exhausting. That’s why she sometimes sighs and just doesn’t argue the point when she disagrees with Mr. Threehorn or Cera. However, as seen with the care of Tricia’s egg, she can assertive when she wants to be.

Tria would rather have a pleasant time than be too concerned with something like pride, as seen with her mud baths and shiny stones. She also wants her family to relax and live a little too. As seen “The Bright Circle Celebration,” Tria is not very interested in whether the story behind a holiday or event is true or not. She just enjoys using it as an opportunity to have fun and be with family and friends. She wants Mr. Threehorn and Cera to set their doubts aside about the holiday and just enjoy themselves. She probably thinks life’s too short to worry about such inanities.

I have a bit of a headcanon that as soon as Tria became part of the family, she demanded to be taught to fight. If Mr. Threehorn objected, she would respond that she wanted to be ready for this family’s unique challenges. It’s not like Cera and the others are going to stop getting endangered any time soon, so she might as well be prepared. Mr. Threehorn might have had reservations but I’m sure they would have done something to make the practice enjoyable.

That’s all for now. I’ll post about Mr. Threehorn at a later time, since he has a lot of material to go through and I don’t want to mess it up. I’m writing only twelve lines of analysis per day to fit my schedule, so it might take a while. He mightn’t be Mr. Popular, but he’s sure memorable.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Tops us girlfriend I didn't mind much since is a step mom to Cera. And I hate how cera treated Tria when she was being nice to her. So I didn't mind her much at all.

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
So Mr. Threehorn. Topsy, Daddy Topps. One of the moments that spell him out is the “Standing Tough” song in the third movie. The song lays out that because life’s tough, one has to be tougher to survive. That means making hard, fast decisions and sticking with them even if they are ruthless. In the context of the third movie, if that means some who need water more than others have to suffer in the regulated drinking regime, so be it. Somewhere along the line, his observance about the cold hard facts of survival melded with stereotypes about other species. He seems to think he’s only being a “straight talker” when he expresses such prejudice. I don’t know if this mindset helped him before but when it doesn’t work in the valley, he gradually tones it down.

He doesn’t seem to be as much of a “straight talker” when it comes to the more feelsy part of things. As can be seen with his first reunion with Tria and his attempt to talk to Cera about the relationship in the 11th movie, he trips over his own words when talking about softer matters. This can be seen earlier in the 5th and 6th movie where, confronted by his claim Littlefoot was to blame for leading Cera away and that Doc might be the source of bad luck, he clumsily backtracks. I don’t know if he was taught such soft emotion is weakness or found some of those emotions difficult to deal with, but he isn’t always graceful with them. With the latter, maybe he represses what happened to Mrs. Threehorn and Cera’s sisters because it’s too traumatic to wrestle with. Even if he doesn’t think about it, it probably motivates his protectiveness of Cera.

Not that he’s a complete stranger to expressing softer emotions, as seen in the TV episodes “The Great Log Running Game” and “The Bright Circle Celebrations.” Even when he’s Being Wrongô, he’s quite a sweet dad to Cera and I can see why Cera can be so defensive of him. How he interacts with Tria and Tricia at times is quite cute too. He really treasures them and wants to do his best to make them safe and happy.

It’s interesting to observe how he gradually expands his circle of protection from Cera to the rest of her friends. Though he isn’t always fond of him, he’s quick to defend all of them during danger. This even includes Ruby and Chomper. Whatever his reservations about the latter, it doesn’t seem to occur to him to not protect the sharptooth youth along with the others. From his comment in movie 14th about his doubt about having Chomper help track down Littlefoot’s gang, he still has some distrust of Chomper. Though there, I think Mr. Threehorn is expressing distrust of Chomper’s sharptooth nature, though he might have some fondness for Chomper himself. That kind of doublethink wouldn’t surprise me for someone like him. I can’t help but be amused by the image of him interacting with Chomper’s parents. I think there might be some snark-to-snark combat there, especially with Daddy Sharptooth.

From how he talks about how old he is, I surmise he’s in the threehorn equivalent of his forties. Change for him seems to go slow but I do have the feeling he won’t be as hardheaded or prejudiced as he got older. He could still use his whiplike voice and snap decision making but hopefully far more wisely. He might not always be accepting of the weirdness Littlefoot and the others get into but he’ll be more able to roll with it (“You’re helping an alien from planet what?...sure, whatever, as long as they don’t eat anyone.”).

Those are all my thoughts on Mr. Threehorn. I’m not as sure about my grasp of his character, so hopefully I’m not too far off.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
He's got a horrible singing voice just putting that out there

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: Kittybubbles,Jul 3 2015 on  05:59 PM
Cera and her sisters also look nothing like their parents, which are gray and black/dark brown eyed. Another interesting note I noticed is that Dinah and Dana are both a gray coloration.
I've always assumed that Chomper and Cera would change color to resemble their parents more as they grow up, but yeah... The appearances of Dinah and Dana kinda throws that theory out the window. :huh: Though I'm sure it's simply the makers of the movies getting less and less serious with each subsequent sequel.