The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pterano

Ptyra · 66 · 13511

theamazingthreehorngirl

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: thebigdeal,Dec 23 2009 on  04:00 PM
Quote from: Ptyra,Dec 23 2009 on  12:58 PM
I'm pretty sure it was "dear, old uncle"
"If there's anything I won't tolerate, it's violence!"
then why are you hitting me?

theamazingthreehorngirl

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Allicloud,Jun 5 2011 on  02:33 PM
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 26 2011 on  01:53 AM
Maybe the time of the banishment would give him some time for critical self-reflection.
I suddenly am struck by a vision of him returning to the valley, dressed as some sort of saurian Buddhist-monk.
lol i can imagine mr threehorns face if he returned to the valley like that :lol

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Quote from: theamazingthreehorngirl,Jun 16 2011 on  10:58 AM
Quote from: thebigdeal,Dec 23 2009 on  04:00 PM
Quote from: Ptyra,Dec 23 2009 on  12:58 PM
I'm pretty sure it was "dear, old uncle"
"If there's anything I won't tolerate, it's violence!"
then why are you hitting me?
Pterano: Right, make that two things: Violence and-

THE DUTCH!!!! :lol

Pterano: :blink: What the-! Who put that in my line?!?!?

:lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Bruton the Iguanodon

What can i say about how i feel about Pterano? Half of me wants to like him, but another part of me sees the bad side of him. Not to mention what a turnoff he was when he was admiring his reflection and singing about how great he was, or how annoying his voice can be! I suppose if he ever appears again I'll finally decide. But we're not even sure they're making more films...

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
You think his voice is annoying? Something's wrong with you! :lol  :lol Just kidding. Everyone has their own opinion.  :p

Well believe it or not, Bruton, I used to feel the same way about Pterano as you, but then I saw LBT 7 for the first time in over a year and I ended up falling heads over heels in love with him! And I'm even more in love with him than ever!!!

I LOVE YOU PTERANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :DD

Huh...I'm surprised Jrd89 and Pterano the user still haven't posted in this thread. :blink:  :lol
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Bruton the Iguanodon

The way he talks is always so overly drmatic: "The poor thing...so young, so full of life..." Don't get me wrong, I'd be devastated if Ducky died, but he sounded more dramatic then sincere...

Do people like him cause he's a bad-turned-good, which is always interesting, or just cause he---how do I say it---is, "good-looking"?  :huh:

And don't pretend you weren't at least a little grossed out when the camera zoomed out of his *ss as he flew away

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Well personally, if he wasn't a redemption character, I probably would never have fallen in love with him in the first place. Then I ended up falling for his good looks.

I'm just telling you how I started liking him. To be honest, I once felt the same as you...but then he saved Ducky.  :lol

And don't pretend you weren't at least a little grossed out when the camera zoomed out of his *ss as he flew away

Dat a**!

:lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol Omg! You should see how hard I'm laughing!  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: trulyfantasticme,Jan 23 2012 on  01:50 AM
I wasn't really bothered all that much by it.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Pterano is one of my favorite characters because he is a complex character with a dark back story. In my honest opinion, I don't think of Pterano as an antagonist at all. He doesn't want to take over the Great Valley and make everybody his slaves. He just wants to be the leader. I find he's more blinded by these ambitions than really evil. If anything, Rinkus and Sierra are the antagonists over Pterano. They use Pterano to get to the stone and them turn on him when they finally do. Sierra makes numerous threatening remarks towards Ducky and the gang, and Rinkus is the one who at first suggests to torture Littlefoot for information about the stone as well as to betray Pterano in the end. He genuinely cares about Petrie and doesn't want anything to happen to him or his friends, even hesitating a bit to take Ducky with them. Then of course, saving Ducky from falling off the mountain reinforces that he regrets what happened before and didn't want it to happen again, let alone to somebody so young.

I wasn't bothered by the way he spoke. That would be more directed towards Michael York if anything, but I really enjoyed his voice work. He seemed to be having a lot of fun in his role. It was just really cool to hear him voice this after Austin Powers helped gain him a strong fan following, on top of the previous work he had done.

I think you are the only one bothered by that one shot.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I just realized who he reminds me of: Gilderoy Lockhart!!  :lol (I was a Harry Potter fan 4 the longest time!)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
:lol Aye, I do see where that comparison is comming from :p

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
He's your typical Michael York character. They're all full of themselves and trying to carry more than they can handle...especially the former.

Except for Basil Exposition...

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
I've just listened to Very Important Creature, and it occurred to me that Pterano is the only one out of the flyer trio that he is not afraid of lightning! Rinkus and Sierra panic after a lightning bolt strikes, Pterano just completely ignores it.  :lol

Another reason why he's loco in the coco, and my fave character!  :lol

Seriously, if it was me, I'd immediately rush behind Rinkus and Sierra and hide.  :lol

Bruton the Iguanodon

Dat a**!

Omg! You should see how hard I'm laughing!

seriously the way they shot it was very bad, I thought.

I wasn't really bothered all that much by it.

I'm glad. And hey, it's me, Bruton, the guy who's bothered by everything...   :lol

I've just listened to Very Important Creature, and it occurred to me that Pterano is the only one out of the flyer trio that he is not afraid of lightning! Rinkus and Sierra panic after a lightning bolt strikes, Pterano just completely ignores it.

Another reason why he's loco in the coco, and my fave character!

Seriously, if it was me, I'd immediately rush behind Rinkus and Sierra and hide.

I'm not that afraid of it either. But I think it's too cool and spooky to be ignored!  :D

rKrizik

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I'm not surprised there's a thread dedicated to Pterano, as he seems to be a fairly popular character among fans - myself included. =)
In fact I'd say that he ranks as one of my favorite characters in the whole series (the movies and shows I have seen, that is.)
In one of my other posts, I tried describing why I found Pterano a more interesting character compared to the others, but you're right, it's a bit hard to put into words. It could be that I find redeemable characters fascinating, because their consciences seem to be in a perpetual battle - like Pterano's, even though at the end of the 7th movie, he did seem to lean more on the 'good' side rather than someone who still struggled with his good and bad side...but we don't really know for sure.
I admit it'd be interesting if Pterano had a mate and if she were introduced in the movies or series, but...given his character, I don't imagine many female flyers would be willing to be with Pterano for an extended period of time. X) I could maybe see him with a female flyer who shared his ambitions, but that could just as easily result in the two of them competing, rather than getting along.

Pterano's dynamic character is also oddly appealing. It's not just his faults that are amusing, but his ego and belief that he (and maybe flyers/pterodactyls in general) is better than everyone else. Mix that with a misplaced desire to do good, and you end up with a fascinating specimen. =)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah I know Pterano is a villain in the movie but I do still like him. I didn't like how he betrayed his family I thought that was horrible. And Petrite is so dumb that he doesn't know how bad he is. But all movie meed a villain and I guess through it all he was a good character in the movie series.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah, Pterano, so awesome to see an entire thread dedicated to him^^
That egotistical flyer, that Very Important Creature, that hopeless, irresponsible, proud, stuck-up, self-centered, total drama-king... etc.

What can I say about Pterano that I haven't said already? lol well, he is one of my absolute fave characters, (close tie between Strut and Pterano) and Stone of Cold Fire happened to be a Christmas present I received one year (BEST.... GIFT... EVER!) I instantly fell in love with Pterano's character. He was a real change from the original five and the other supporting characters in that he was a bit of an outlaw :o I also liked that while he did all thhose terrible things, not to mention kidnap Ducky (but if you listen/look closely, you can tell he's pretty hesitant about taking her... he's ab-libbing: "Well, uhhm... that... forces me to make a small change in our flight plan." Notice all the pauses, he's putting on a show for Rinkus and Sierra!!) he still managed to show a bit of a softer, kinder side every so often. Like he was just really confused about his role to play, like he didn't want to have power, but then again he did... *shrug*

I got the feeling, even when I was little, that Pterano didn't really MEAN to be a villain. "Things simply got out of control" ;)

Anyway, those are my thoughts and character analyses. MAN these are exhausting, esp. for an in-depth character like Pterano who has so many fallouts and add-ins to his personality. DARN YOU, SMEXY FLYER!!
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: trulyfantasticme,Feb 4 2012 on  10:02 PM
I've just listened to Very Important Creature, and it occurred to me that Pterano is the only one out of the flyer trio that he is not afraid of lightning! Rinkus and Sierra panic after a lightning bolt strikes, Pterano just completely ignores it.  :lol

Yeah, wish they could have focused on him during that shot and had him look all annoyed.  :smile

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I've always found Pterano's character to be intriguing. He certainly does seem selfish and ambitious, but he also has a good heart and good intentions to contrast it. I've honestly always thought he will do good as long as it benefits him in some way.

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
Ah, Pterano. The beloved tragic antagonist. I think he believes he makes connections others don’t and the few successes that come from that lead to a positive feedback loop that swelled his ego. He wants to do great and good things but he wants to be recognized for his accomplishments, which is often what leads to trouble. Petrie’s mother seems to find that exasperating but there does seem to be some fondness still present. I surmise when Pterano does stuff like entertaining the children with stories, he does it to please himself but he also genuinely enjoys brightening the days of the young ones. Mama Flyer’s probably grateful when he does stuff like that but at the same time, she wonders, “Okay, what do you want this time?”

I do agree with others’ observations that he has a bit of a dictatorial streak and that he has trouble accepting the consequences of his actions. With the migration to the Great Valley, I surmise he thought the consensus decision making of the herd was too slow and cautious. If there was a correct decision, one shouldn’t gamble it away in the name of compromise but fight for it with your last breath. I surmise those that eventually followed him agreed with that opinion. I do like the observation of one of the other users that Pterano might have thought he saw clues he interpreted as a lead to the valley and that might have played a role in getting him those followers.

When those followers died on his watch and there was nothing he could do about it, I agree he refused to take responsibility because he didn’t want to own up to failing. I also think though that having people die because of him was too much for him to accept. Death is so massive it can be like fitting worlds inside your head. Trying to fit in the massiveness of death that’s your fault can be a whole different kind of overwhelming, so Pterano quailed away. That would force him to reevaluate what kind of person he is and he doesn’t have the mental fortitude for that.

When the Stone of Cold Fire appeared, it seemed to be an opportunity to remake the world into something better and to make a name for himself. He was more interested in doing this without notice. When Ducky accidentally eavesdropped on him, he was disquieted by the thought of using her as a hostage to hold back pursuers but his ambitions still had such a hold that he was willing to go along with it anyway. When Ducky seemingly fell to her death, Pterano was also troubled but still willing to move on to the stone. I wonder if he thought either his wish on the stone would magically undo those kind of mistakes or the wish would affect so much that his mistakes might be overlooked.

Whatever the case, the kids nearly getting killed on his watch inched him to reconsidering his values. He did object when he was sentenced into exile for five cold times, so he doesn’t completely get it. Though I think he also objects partially out of practicality, since it would be hard to survive alone for that length of time without having some backup. The valley people are understandably not as sympathetic, since he burned those bridges himself. When Petrie attempted to defend Pterano despite all the trouble he caused, that made Pterano more accepting of his punishment. It would take quite some hard work for him to move away from his destructive ambitions and put others first but hopefully he would find some value in the quiet ways of making positive change.

You know, I find it kind of interesting Pterano immediately follows Doc as a main guest character. They would make interesting foils. Doc does Good Samaritan work while trying to remain inconspicuous and has a “change what you can, accept what you can’t” philosophy. Pterano is almost the opposite. He did work for others in exchange for getting attention for himself. He wants to effect change even for things some say can’t be changed, for good or ill. It would be fascinating to have these two characters bounce off one another. I have the sense these two would have intriguing and amusing conversations that Pterano might learn from.

A few miscellaneous thoughts: I can’t help but have the headcanon Pterano’s the type to opera sing to himself while washing himself or doing other things. That might get him trouble while trying to be inconspicuous while out of the valley, so he has to do it under his breath, which displeases him. Kind of related to that, he can be a bit dramatic. He should join a singing/theater troupe, which I’m sure exists somewhere in that world. I bet that even if he heard about Ruby and Chomper even before meeting them, I can already picture his startled reaction if they suddenly come upon him and Cera’s very amused face as she watches.

Those are all of my thoughts on Pterano. There are a few things I feel shaky about here and there but I did find some of the posts on this thread informative concerning his character and hopefully it’s the same for anyone who reads this.