The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Top 10 Characters of all time

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
All right, I finally got the Overall Top 20 character list finished! I've calculated the frequencies, and the results are in.

1. Littlefoot
2. Ducky
3. Chomper
4. Petrie
3. Cera
6. Ali
7. Guido
8. Spike
9. Pterano
10. Sharptooth (original)

If you're curious as to how I calculated these, I'll explain my process below:

I went through each poll individually. To the character who was #1 on the list I assigned 10 points and one tally mark. To the charater who was #2 on the list, I assigned 9 points and one tally mark. To the character who was #3, I assigned eight points and one tally mark, and so on. I completed this for every slot on every poll. Once I was done, each charcter now had two things: an overall point value, and also the number of Top 10 lists the character appeared on.

The characters with the most points made the list.

To show you how your favorite characters measured up, I'm also going to post the ranking of every character who appeared in any Top 10 list. However, this caused things o get a bit stickier, especially with the more obscure characters who all scred beween 1-6 points. I needed to add more criteria.

I then rated the characters as such:

1) The characters with the highest point value will appear higher on the list.

2)In case of a tie in point values, characters who appeared on more Top 10 lists will appear higher on the list.

3)In case of a tie in list appearances, characters with the individual highest placing on a Top 10 list will appear higher on the list.

4)In case of a tie in list location, characters who appeared in less movies or had less screen time will appear higher on the list.

I also had problems with some individual top 10 lists:

-Original characters:Since nobody except an OC's creator would ever vote for an Orignal Character, I chose to skip any OC's on a list and give no character any points for that space. For example, if part of a list read: "...5)Littlefoot 6)my OC Joebob 7)Ducky..." then Littlefoot would recieve 6 points, Joebob would recive 0 points, and Ducky would receive 4 points.

-Ptyra posting twice:Halfway down the second page of the thread, I found Ptyra mentioning that she "kinda lied" on her orignal list, and posted a new one. Not wanting to go back into my notes and try to find and erase which data points came from her first list, I merely included both as stand-alone lists. Yes, that means Ptyra got twice as many votes as you did. Deal with it.

-Dash the Longneck posting his list in "no particular order":this casued an intresting conundrum, not knowing how to score the ten characters since there is no hierarchy. I finally decided to give 5 points to every character on his list and move on.

-mcr mad's #9 being "everyone else":Well, that would be intresting. I didn't know if I should give 2 points to every character in the history of Land Before Time, knowing that would kinda screw up the curve a little bit, not to mention make a rather large list. After much thought, I abandoned it altogether. mcr mad's list was only 8 charater's long.

Using this formula, I placed the characters in their proper list, and found the popularity of all characters.

In case you're curious, here are every character's stats along with their point value and #of lists appearing on:

1. Littlefoot             - 164 pts,  22 lists
2. Ducky                - 158 pts,  23 lists
3. Chomper            - 118 pts,  18 lists
4. Petrie                 - 116 pts,  20 lists
3. Cera                  -   91 pts,  16 lists
6. Ali                      -    79 pts, 13 lists
7. Guido                 -    76 pts, 13 lists
8. Spike                 -    63 pts,  15 lists
9. Pterano              -    48 pts,  10 lists
10.Sharptooth        -    45 pts,    8 lists
11.Littlefoot's mom -    43 pts,    8 lists
12.Mo                    -    40 pts,    9 lists
13.Ruby                 -    33 pts,   6 lists
14.Tricia                -    31 pts,    5 lists
15.Grandpa Longneck  29 pts,    8 lists
16.Bron                 -    25 pts,  10 lists
17.Rainbow faces   -    20 pts,    3 lists
18.Doc                  -    16 pts,    2 lists
19.Tippy                -    12 pts,    3 lists
20.Mr. Thicknose    -    10 pts,    3 lists
21.Sierra               -     9  pts,    1 list
22.sailbacked lizard-     9 pts,     1 list
23.ducky's mom    -      8 pts,     3 lists
24.Swooper          -      8 pts,     1 list
25.Rinkus             -      8 pts,     1 list
26.Shorty             -      7 pts,     3 lists
27.Tickles             -      7 pts,     1 list
28.Skitter             -      6 pts,     2 lists
29.Sharptooth (LBT 3)   6 pts,     1 list
30.Ozzy               -       6 pts,     1 list
31.Rooter            -       5 pts,     1 list
32.Strut              -        5 pts,     1 list
33.Allosaurus (LBT 6)   4  pts,     1 list
34.Tria               -        4 pts,      1 list
35.Brachiosaurus (6)    3 pts,      1 list
36.Archie           -        3 pts,      1 list
37.Dill               -        3 pts,       1 list
38.Sue              -        3 pts,       1 list
39.Mr. Clubtail   -        2 pts,       2 lists
40.Hyp             -         1  pt,       1 list
41.Loofah         -         1  pt,       1 list        
42.Thud           -          1 pt,        1 list
43.Mr. Threehorn         1 pt,        1 list
44."Everyone else"       0 pts,      1 list

By the way, to help me figure out how to make the most accurate Top ten list, I asked the Wikipedia Reference Desk for help. Here's a link to the discussion: Wikipedia:Top Ten List

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Great job, LettuceBacon&Tomato! Honestly, i'm was sure, that Ducky will take the 1st place, but looks like i was mistaken. :)
Ruby on 13th place... Well, it is fair i suppose. She have a lot of bad references from "old-fashioned" fans. But i'm still a little frustrated. :rolleyes:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Yeah, I was betting on Ducky too. Actually, Littlefoot and Ducky were the two characters whose points I recounted, just to be sure they were placed right. Still, if you check the list numbers, you'll see that Ducky appeared on more lists than any other character.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Yep, yours statistic says that too. But Littlefoot appear to have the 1st place more often. :)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Littlefoot was first place on 5 top ten lists, and Ducky was first place on 4. The other characters with first place's were Chomper (4), Guido (3), and Pterano (2, but they were both Ptyra). Littlefoot's mom, the original Sharptooth, Cera, Tricia, and the Rainbowfaces were all #1 once.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I'm glad the The Original Sharptooth made it in.

He was so hardcore.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Ptyra,Feb 16 2008 on  10:04 PM
3, actually, Pterano fan was the other  :p
Actually, Pterano fan never posted a top ten list in the Top 10 thread (or anywhere else for that matter). Because of this, I couldn't count his/her vote.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I wasn't here to vote, but I like Ducky over Littlefoot, so that might've changed your results in the end.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
10.Sharptooth - 45 pts, 8 lists
11.Littlefoot's mom - 43 pts, 8 lists

Once again, Sharptooth survives the battle against Littlefoot's mother…

What a trooper!

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Petrie,Feb 18 2008 on  09:36 AM
I wasn't here to vote, but I like Ducky over Littlefoot, so that might've changed your results in the end.
Maybe. The score was close at 158 to 164. One more user who ranked Ducky at least 8 places above Littlefoot would've turned the tide.

Ducky was my favorite character too; I was bummed when she didn't win  :( Oh well, better second than never.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
One other reason I posted the results for all characters is that this way we can expand or update all scores every time a new Top 10 list is added. This way, once another Top 10 is added in the "Character Discussion" section, anyone can add the new points to the respective characters and revise the current standings (though it'll require an admin to edit the post at the head of the article, if we choose to do so.) Now the scores will always remain current.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Next time you do this you need to give more time than you did.  As far as I can tell a few key members did not take part for whatever reason.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe they didn't see it or see the need to participate since they know what their favorite characters are and see no need to tell anyone else.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I did not participate as I cannot really give a one and only favorite character or a ranking list in which order I like the characters. Same as I cannot name a one and only favorite LBT movie of all time. I guess I'm just not too much of a friend of superlatives and think that discussions or comparisons of individual characters may be a bit more illuminating.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Petrie,Feb 25 2008 on  08:16 AM
Next time you do this you need to give more time than you did. As far as I can tell a few key members did not take part for whatever reason.
Sorry. I did tell everyone about this upcoming poll on February 4, which gave anyone 10 days to think over their responses or choose to post them.

But still, part of the reason I wanted to make this list ongoing is that there really is no time limit! If you want your vote to be added, all you have to do is post a Top 10 list in the "Top 10 favorite Characters" subheading, then come back here, and add up the new point- and list-totals for your ten charaters, and the list is updated, with your votes counted!

Malte, if you don't want to stagger your characters in a hierarchy, you can post your Top 10 in no particular order. Dash the Longneck did that, and if you read my first post you'll see I factor that in. Every character on your list will recieve 5 points.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Wow. Littlefoot's mother was so close to making the list. Either way, I could see this being the list. However, I kind of thought Chomper would win, but oh well. He still got third.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I can't believe Ali and Cera are so far up the list.  I was expecting Littlefoot to be first of course, but I was expecting Ali to be 4th at worst and Cera to be 3rd at worst.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
:huh:

That is odd.  I at least perceived Cera to be a well-liked character on here.  Surprise, surprise :slap!

Lucario#1

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://msn.com
I wasn't here to vote, but I love petrie and guido!!! :DD