The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rinkus and Sierra

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
They are great but I wished they had some female bad guys,too. I was hoping for some evil female spitters like the one who killed Denis Nedry in the Jurassic ParkI. Evil and smart and able to fool other dinos into thinking them as cute and cuddly planteaters while in fact, they enjoy eating baby flatteeth. :mad

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That may be interesting, but they may think that is to scary, if they ever got the idea, for young kids who I think are the target audience.

RFZT

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Finally, some love for these two!

I LOVE Rinkus and Sierra. They're two of my favorite characters and definitely my favorite LBT villains! I am fond of most of the early villains--Sharptooth, Ozzy and Strut, Hyp, Ichy and Dil--but Rinkus and Sierra are on the top of my list.

I haven't pinpointed exactly why yet...I love their personalities. Rinkus is my favorite out of the flyer trio (including Pterano). I love how he seems lowly and dumb, but is actually very clever. Some of his line are funny, too. "Then why are you hitting me?" LOL!

Sierra is awesome too. I usually don't like the characters who act like him, you know, ruthless, uncaring and violent. But I love Sierra and I'm not quite sure why.  :blink: I guess I love him because he is dark, and a threat. Most of the LBT baddies weren't much of a threat at all, save the sharpteeth. Ichy and Dil would have been a good threat, if they were't the most comical villains. XD I loved how Sierra was dangerous and you knew it.

And of course, how they work together. Sierra losing his temper so easily and Rinkus having to hold him back or turn into a comedy relief....hee hee.  :lol

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
@RFZT: *high fives you*

WOOT! More fans!
I think Jim Cummings is an awesome voice actor for Sierra. They voice just works. He's one of those bad a** guys you know you can't mess with. Rinkus, the same, though he has more of a softer, gentler exterior, he's still threatening all the same.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :wave

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I did like the voice actors they chose for those to.  I think the voices fit very well.  

RFZT

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Jan 5 2009 on  05:35 AM
I did like the voice actors they chose for those to.  I think the voices fit very well.
They DID have good voice actors! I thought they were the perfect choices, in fact.

The whole trio was brilliant: Michael York, Rob Paulsen and Jim Cummings. Astounding. :D

RWB

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I love these two.

They do indeed have similarities to Ozzy and Strut, although they are smaller than they would seem.

Ozzy being somewhat intelligent, although bad-tempered and to a large degree cruel, while Sierra is more of a dumb brute(don't take this the wrong way).

Meanwhile, both Strut and Rinkus take on comical relief roles and initially seem very similar- until we start to see Rinkus' scheming side, and he turns out to be a rather smart guy, unlike Strut who was more dumb than anything.

That aside, Sierra is awesome. Check out the "Very Important Creature" part to see him pull of an awesome ninja trick.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Whilst I do like Rinkus and Sierra.  I never really associated them as characters, to me, I'm afraid I just saw them as 'henchmen' for Pterano.  

In a way, both Rinkus and Sierra partly remind me of Banzai, Ed and Shenzi from The Lion King.  There characteristics are similar albeit slight in the way they scheme, are selfish, comic relief roles.  

I am not sure, it is only my impression.  

However, whilst I do like them they are not, in my opinion what I class as villains worthy of being great.  I class Ozzy and Strut as such villains.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I do not quite agree, though I do see your point.
You are certainly right that we learn very little about Rinkus and Sierra as characters, but as for them being mere henchmen of Pterano, one should not overlook that they are actually revolting against him. The one thing I do wonder about is why they followed Pterano in the first place unimpressed as they seem to be by him even from the very beginning. As for Banzai and Ed I do not quite agree either. Ed is not even able to talk and apart from being rather stupid (gnawing the own leg in one scene) we don't know anything about him at all. As for Sierra, he may not be the brightest bulp in the chandelier, but he does have enough self-confidence to openly contradict Pterano and to plan opposing him by violent means (thus not thoroughly accepting his role as a leader). He still maintains as much "sense" as to allow Rinkus to talk him into letting Pterano led them to the stone. This slyness of Rinkus in combination with his avoiding of physical confrontation (unless if Sierra is on his side too) also doesn't seem to match Banzai very much. Shenzi is the sly one of the three Hyenas, but she also displays a higher degree of self-confidence than we ever get to see from Rinkus or Sierra.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It is just a feeling that I have, although since I haven't watched SOCF for a while the characteristics aren't fresh in my mind.  

As to revolting against Pterano, I do see your point.  Maybe I did misjudge the charactersitics.  So I apologise over that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Please do not apologize Saft :)
Nothing to feel sorry about. I just gave my view and some points in favor of it while there are certainly points supporting a similarity between Rinkus / Sierra and Banzai / Ed.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I apologise again for apologising.  I feel a need to do so.  It is a habit that I truely wish to loose.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: RFZT,Jan 4 2009 on  07:54 PM

And of course, how they work together.
They work together, but I it may not be long-lived. Remember those lines, when they got to supposed "Stone of Cold Fire"?

"Show me the power!"

"No! Show it to me! To me!"

It may looks like they cooperate with each other only as long it is necessary to achieve their goal and then every one of them is willing to take all credits for himself. I hope they will continue to work together though, because I love this pair of villains. :)

I apologise again for apologising. I feel a need to do so. It is a habit that I truely wish to loose.

Just remember that constant apologizing may have sometimes bad results, like in ’’The Death of a Government Clerk’ by Anton Chekhow. ;)
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Just wanted to bumpmthis topic since I have been noticing a lot of Sierra, Rinkus, and Pterano subjects recently. :yes

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: rosie,Aug 4 2008 on  11:00 PM
They are great but I wished they had some female bad guys,too. I was hoping for some evil female spitters like the one who killed Denis Nedry in the Jurassic Park I. Evil and smart and able to fool other dinos into thinking them as cute and cuddly planteaters while in fact, they enjoy eating baby flatteeth. :mad
 Dilophosaurus, I believe. They would make great villians

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I think Rat_lady bumped this topic because of my many recent posts about Rinkus and Sierra.

(actually i've made more on Rinkus because I really love him so much)

If I were a flyer in the lbt world... here's how i'd feel about the 2.

for Rinkus: I think i've said enough on him. He'd be a very fun guy. He'd be the one i'd talk and hang around with the most. I know he wouldn't kick or claw me or beat me up if I didn't do anything wrong.

for Sierra: He'd be the one i'd hide from the most and be the most afraid of. I know though.. he'd come after me... in the middle of the night... out to kill me..
And no matter how fast or high I fly, he'd be right behind me.

If I quickly tried to hide in a cave... It wouldn't work either. because I know Sierra would find me..

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
The thing I like the most about Rinkus and Sierra is they were in my mind the first villains to place one of the gang in true peril with the kidnapping of Ducky. The only reason why I do not count Ozzy and Strut with Littlefoot is because that happened at the very end of LBT II. We had never seen a kidnapping in LBT as a main plot point before because we never really thought it was possible. LBT VII reinstated how threatening villains can be with Rinkus and Sierra, adding on to Ozzy and Strut as well as Dil and Icky (excuse spelling).

I like to view Rinkus and Sierra as an more advanced form of Ozzy and Strut. Ozzy never really came off as a tough guy in my mind (which is why I'm changing that in my fanfic), which is where Sierra excells. Sure he does not resort to physical confrontation necesarily, but he has shown to be quite forceful especially towards Pterano and Ducky. Rinkus is not as dependent as Strut is as he is a bit more crafty. Sure he may follow Pterano's lead, but give him the chance and he could easily turn on him (as he did in the end)

I think the thing I like most about them is the fact that they are both not sharpteeth. Their species were most likely to prey on fish, insectsm frogs, etc... They weren't planning on eating Ducky, but they were going to use her for their own devious needs. To coincide with Ozzy and Strut in LBT II, LBT VII reinforces the fact that sharpteeth were not the only antagonists in the LBT universe, practically any species could be "evil", depending on the particular character. I was just happy to see that they weren't just another villain looking to eat the gang.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
The only villains in the series that are actually a threat. What a treat these guys were  :D ! And I definitely agree with what Rat-Lady says about Rinkus. You don't know what to expect from him, so he's definitely the most threatening between him and Sierra. He's even the first one who suggests killing/threatening Littlefoot into giving the location of the SoCF (which of course, Pterano quite obviously disapproved of. *Waves a little flag*) With Sierra...well, you KNOW what to expect from him and keep your guard up. You KNOW he's up to something, but you have no idea that Rinkus is. Which is pret-ty darn creepy. And I highly doubt Pterano would trust either of them ever again after what happened on Threehorn Peek.