The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 77341

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I noticed.any how while I was playing(don't know if this was a glitch) I went to the ocean and I saw the Spiketail model in there I was playing as the longneck/littlefoot I don't know if it was another player or a glitch.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey, just letting everyone know what I'm working on!

I have decided that the text in the game was..really really small so I've been working on resizing all the parts of the game to work with larger text, as can be seen in this screenshot:

I have also recoded how NPCs know what to say to the player.  All of the words that NPCs say are now stored in text files and are easily editable by anyone (at least during the development process).  The code is now also set up to allow installing of multiple languages and translation of the existing text is extremely simple. :)

Here is the format of the text file of what Mr. Clubtail says to a Swimmer (the text file being used in the above picture), for example:
Code:  on  

npcName
Mr. Clubtail

npcType
Clubtail

Start{
Hey, my treestar just
blew away and I have
a tummy ache!
=====
Leave me be!
=====
=====
=====
=====
=====
=====
=====
End}

All you need to do is edit the text between the Start{ and End} lines and make sure you have exactly 12 lines between those tags and you can translate the text (as well as the names of the characters and their species) to any language you want!

The text files are at the location
\Text\Whatever Language\Whatever Dinosaur Type You Are\

and the code is all set up to automatically load the correct language and dinosaur text, based on the choice.  All we need now are other language text files; we're all set now to make them. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just changed a bunch of code that displays your character's stats.  Here's a really obvious comparison:

The top two stats use the new code, which automatically centers and spaces out the text properly.  The bottom two stats use the old code, which didn't work nicely in all resolutions.  I also centered the text at the top of the window that shows your level and dino type.

I also organized this stats window.  The top two stats are your "primary stats" and the bottom two are your "secondary stats" (though this screenshot is a bad example of that, with 2 toughnesses :p).  The stats that are primary and secondary are different depending on your dino and it always puts the right ones in the right places now.

As for the difference between primary and secondary stats?  When you level up, you will be given more points to put in primary stats than in secondary stats.  That's the simple explanation.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
And here's the final working version of the character stats screen until we add more features to it:

Everything looks to line up nicely, I'm thinking! :D

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey again!
I"m just doing a bit of work on the chat window now and I've made a few changes/fixes.

1) The box now turns darker while you're typing so you can tell that it's active.
2) The text all stays inside the window properly...except the text that you're currently typing.  It still has some issues. :p
3) The text now goes all the way to the end of the text box on all resolutions without going too far.

And of course, the screenshot example:
:D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Looks like you are making some progress in the game.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I fixed the camera water/colour/fog bug you talked about to me, Mumbling.  I'll let you try this sometime and you can let me know if this is what you think it should do :D

Now while the camera is above water, the fog effect is off.  While the camera is underwater, the fog effect is on.  Your player's location has no effect on this fog.

I also changed the scale of the Mouse Speed sliders in the options menu.  It's a bit slower now. :p

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
The new chat boxes look great! Can't wait for the next version!

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Wow! It's coming along great.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
wow, lots of updates, glad to see that the text box is all fixed up, the last time we were using it was...not very fun lol.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Awesome Tim! Did the camera thing work as you planned to?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yep, I found the problem with the code I wrote while you were here.  I just kinda failed but the logic was correct! :)

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
nice to know you're resizing the text it was alot harder for me to read before , and great job on the stats screen and chat window  :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey all!

Multiplayer is starting to come together but it still needs quite a bit of work.  As you can see now though, the server is able to see other players in-game as the models they joined the game with! :D

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, it almost works..!

Just a few more things to get fixed. :p  I must say, I think this screenshot looks pretty dang awesome :lol  :D

BTW: The framerate is really low because I'm actually running 3 copies of the game at the same time on one computer to test multiplayer. :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, we found countless bugs when testing multiplayer in more detail.  This will be awhile before it's ready, I'm thinking.  Grrr...

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
hey I found out what's ahead of the ocean its a bottomless pit I guess you could call it an easter egg because you don't die if you fall(who would even be trying to go there besides me who was expirmenting) or a death trap because I died of boredom  :lol the weird thing is I expected my game to crash or the framerate to go down and it didn't thank god.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Eventually it will do something very odd once you fall beyond the lowest point that my program can calculate (values in computers do have minimums and maximums and you'd hit the minimum eventually).  I don't know what would happen if you fell that far but I assure you that in the actual game, such a thing will never happen. :p

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
W00t!

Okay, For the first time ever, 4 players (using actual models) are able to see each other perfectly and the code works exactly the same for any number of players past that, limited only by the speed of the network connection.  I still have a bunch of random bugs to kick out before the v.21 release but here's living proof of functional 4-player multiplayer :D

From the Swimmer's perspective:

Spiketail's:

Longneck's:

and Threehorn's:

One step closer! :D