The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 75327

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
How high will you actually be able to fly when the game is finished?
Honestly..I'm not sure!  I suspect the world will have massive elevation changes so it would have to be high enough so that you could fly significantly over the highest point in the game.  We may even decide that flyers can't even fly to the highest peaks in the game because of danger (air, cold weather, etc) so I'm going to leave it limitless for now.

You definitely have a good point though, that does look a tiny bit odd, doesn't it? :p
It won't look so bad when there's a vast landscape below you, rather than a single map, but still..you do have a point. :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think it would be neat if you set up a system were you could toggle glide on and off. Like, you could maintain a roughly constant vertical position (with slight descent of course) while retaining freedom in horizontal movement. Just a thought!
That sounds cool!  I'll pass that idea onto a few other people and we'll see how it goes!  I know Malte has some pretty wicked ideas for the flight system! :)

Guido

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.LBT.de.nr

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I've noticed that there are some places in the Valley, where flyer can fall through ground. Those places are: narrow canyons in south and north side of the map.
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi Marcel, nice to see you here again :)
No German version of the game is planned at the moment. One thing that is important to keep in mind is that it is an online RPG so chatting with your fellow players will make up for most of the language used in the game (the talk with non-player characters will be little by comparison).
While German language countries might muster enough players for a game in many cases it will be with groups including speakers of many different native tongues that most games will be played. In that case English is the language to go for as it is the language known by most people around the world.
But don't let this scare you Marcel, it is easier than you think and this is a statement coming from someone whose transfer to the next school grade was imperiled by his poor English at one point.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You could do something like they had in might and magic 6-8.  In those games if you had a flight spell that was on, or in 8 it could be riding on a dragon team member, they used page up to move up and page down to go down and you would stay at the same height till either you pressed up or down, or in the case of the flight spell that it ended.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Myrkin,Mar 11 2009 on  08:31 AM
I've noticed that there are some places in the Valley, where flyer can fall through ground. Those places are: narrow canyons in south and north side of the map.
Whoa, okay.  I will definitely look into that.  Thank you!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, I'm pretty sure I found the cause of that bug, Myrkin, and it should be fixed for the next release. :)

Guido

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.LBT.de.nr
Hi Malte,
Wenn ich fragen zum Spiel habe kann ich dich ja fragen oder Patrick was ich nicht f¸r mich ¸bers‰tzten kann :DD . Habe da noch ne Frage ? wann kommt die neue Version raus? Freue mich schon, wenn man sieht, wie man mit der Figur ruml‰uft. Ach wie das mit den Misionen l‰uft, bin ich auch schon gespannt. Ich hoffe, das wir uns mal wieder treffen bei MSN. Alles gute Marcel (Guido) :lol . Kannst mir deie Antwort auch per E-mail schicken. Ich wei?, das man hier nicht deutsch schreiben darf. Patrick wollte mir ja eine Kleine Beschreibung schicken, so da ich ein wenig mit schreiben kann in Englisch

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That's good to hear, action. :)
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
At the moment updates to the game occur quite regularly Marcel. You should check out the Gang of Five every few days or so. I am deliberately writing this here and in English as I do hope to give you a little push to give English a try and become more active in the GOF. You are really missing out on so much that I know you would enjoy. ‹berwinde den inneren Schweinehund and you will find that it is more than worth the effort ;)

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
hey, just got to try the flight stuff now and its awsome.  Its a little hard to get used to at first but I like it, at least its better than that glitch I used to use to fly  :p

note the speed  :smile

Edit: just realized its too small to read, says -9247.62207031

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not sure how you got the flying to work.  What was it like?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey, I think I fixed the bug where the player could fall through the water without triggering the "underwater" event.  I slow the player down 1 frame before you hit the water so you can't pass through the surface without touching the surface.

I think what was happening is that you travelled so far in one frame that you actually went from above the water to below the water without actually touching the surface.

Anyway, just one more little thing I want to get cleaned up - I seem to have introduced the bouncing cube bug again, where if you move down a hill, you don't 'stick' to the ground but you 'bounce' along it instead, like there isn't enough gravity or something. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Don't know what you mean by the gravity bug, but it's not important that I do.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, I just worked out solutions to the following bugs that were in the previous version.  I have not been able to reproduce these bugs in any of my testing.

1) You can no longer fall through the surface of the water without triggering the "underwater now" event.

2)You can no longer fall through the map by forcing yourself to climb a wall that's too steep repeatedly (the new velocity cap in these circumstances prevents you from getting enough speed to jump through the wall).

3) Your cube will no longer have a seizure and bounce quickly up and down if you land in shallow water at a medium velocity (about -300 to -600, in my tests).

4) Your cube now has a ton of gravity (100 instead of the usual 8.3) applied to it, so long as it is on the ground.  This makes sure the program always knows when you're on the ground and keeps things working properly, consistantly.  This also prevents the cube from "bouncing" if it's moving along uneven terrain.

Unfortunately, I don't have internet right now.  I'm posting this by 'borrowing' a neighbour's wireless, on my laptop. :p  The problem is, I can't get wireless on my main computer and I have no nice way to transfer my work online at the moment.  I'll post up the update as soon as I get my internet back, which should be tomorrow afternoon, in theory. :p

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Nah, thats not the bug I was talking about.  I'm talking about how if you walk of the edge of the map while underwater, you can go above the riverbed but still be in the underwater mode.  This allows u to fly (or I guess swim would be the right word) above the valley.  Its slow and annoying to use though.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nah, thats not the bug I was talking about. I'm talking about how if you walk of the edge of the map while underwater, you can go above the riverbed but still be in the underwater mode. This allows u to fly (or I guess swim would be the right word) above the valley. Its slow and annoying to use though.
Oh, that. :p

I've had quite a few people mention that to me now but I'll say it again: That is not a bug!  :p  That is because the world is incomplete.  Once the game is finished, you won't be able to walk off the map like that and such a thing will never happen. :p

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Anyway, just one more little thing I want to get cleaned up - I seem to have introduced the bouncing cube bug again, where if you move down a hill, you don't 'stick' to the ground but you 'bounce' along it instead, like there isn't enough gravity or something.
I think that might be what causes the swimming in the air glitch now because if you land into water at high speeds that is JUST deep enough to be submerged, you bounce back out of the water immediately while still having the underwater state applied.

Also, i should probably explain the method i found on how to get underwater without the underwater state being applied (doesn't involve high speeds). First you have to be underwater. Slowly strafe towards the shore, and as soon as the top of the cube is above the water, quickly strafe back towards the river. It takes quite a few tries for it to actually work. Your cube should look like this when its "not submerged":

and if it works:

notice how the blue blur effect isn't there.