The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 75358

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oh, wow, this is really coming along nicely.  I love the new mr. threehorn

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, okay, I promise the real version 0.20 won't feature electric guitars. :p

Mumbling and I couldn't resist though. :D She drew up the "Metal Edition" main menu screen, which gave me the amusing idea of having our program run a Guitar Hero clone with an LBT song that I made the notes for.  :lol

Anywho, all of the updates I mentioned before are in place in the code and the *real* v0.20 will be posted up as soon as I get the control configuration working. I just received the new models from Razzie today so we're good to go on that. :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I did try downloading this "version" just to see what it was like, but the game won't load up. A couple weird things happened:

1. It constantly told me I already had a file by the name I chose, no matter what name I chose.

2. Once I did download it, nothing was in it.

Was that part of the prank?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's honestly weird.  It's my first time using ADrive so I hope I did it properly.  Seems like a few others got it to work, myself included.

The prank was just the game running Guitar Hero (well, Frets on Fire) instead of LBT.  :lol

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's probably just a fluke or something that it didn't work for me. :p Oh well.

kanganix

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My FurAffinity
I guest you try to put a patch or update pack on the game  :DD

Guido

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.LBT.de.nr
Hi, der ab Date war gemein, ist der 1 April gewesen (Craesy) . Ich freue mich schon auf das neue Abdate  :lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I downloaded it just a short time ago out of curiosity and I could not get into the game.  The most I'd get is to where I'd have to click on host or join game, then a loading screen and that is about it.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Odd.. really..
It seemed to work on some computers and not on others, which is strange.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
No big deal.  I promise the real version will work as well as any of the previous ones did. :) :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I would just like to say that we are getting very, very close to the v0.20 release!  I'm just polishing up some stuff.  I could get it out probably tomorrow if we didn't care about getting online play working.  Introducing the 3d models into the game broke multiplayer so I'll have to fix that up a bit.  

I'm already thinking of some nice options for v0.21 but I'll leave them out for now. :p

Ah, what the heck?  I'll get multiplayer working again in v0.21. :p I'll have v0.20 up very soon once I know everything else is working as I'm wanting it to! :D
It's all but ready, I'm just making sure everything is absolutely awesome! :p

Just one last comment:
The code is over 10000 lines long, as of today. :p :D  :lol
(That's 239 pages in a Word document. :p)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Believe it or not, this project hasn't died yet. :p

After, what looks like about a month..hey, that's not too bad! :D
I present, with great thanks to Razzie for the 3D models...

The Land Before Time RPG v0.20!

New stuff in v0.20: Be warned; there's a lot! :p

GAMEPLAY UPDATES:

1) The following playable characters now have 3D models instead of cubes:
Longneck
Threehorn
Swimmer
Spiketail

The Flyer and the Fastrunner models are still works in progress.

2) The Mr. Threehorn NPC is now a 3D model of Mr. Threehorn instead of a cube. More NPC models coming soon, too! :D

3) The camera will now do a full half-circle around your character, rather than just moving up and down a little bit.  This will let you get a view of the world directly above and below your character (useful for flying especially)!

4) There is now a maximum speed on how fast you can fly upwards.  There is also a maximum speed at which you can fall, preventing you from gaining an absolutely insane amount of speed from flying up or falling.

5) A new "Sprint" ability! Every character except the flyer is able to sprint for 5 seconds by pressing the Left Shift key.  The flyer will gain an air speed boost ability, which is different from the land sprinting ability, later on.
Note that sprinting does not work while in water. I was thinking of having the swim speed boost be a separate ability from the land sprinting later on, which is why I did this.

6) New NPC Chat windows.  Each character will have a unique chat window when talking to an NPC, courtesy of Mumbling. :) The dino type you are playing as appears as a face in the cloud on the chat window.  The "Goodbye" button is temporary.

7) Improved the "checking if on/in water" code even more, for more accurate detection with the 3D models.

8) The "Options" and "Main menu" buttons on the in-game menu work properly now.

9) When swimming on the surface of the water, your character now "floats", with half of them under the water, rather than "Skating" on the surface.  It just looks a bit more natural.

10) Fixed the bug where if you held down the mouse button while using the in-game menu, you could make the buttons do stuff. You now have to specifically *click* on the button to make it function.

--------------------------------

OPTION MENU UPDATES:
Please check out the options menu!  I spent a TON of time programming all that new stuff! :p

11) The options menu actually does something now!  Keep reading for the actual changes.

12) Video options menu - Lets you turn that "graphic quality" screen that comes up before the game starts on or off, as well as letting you change the maximum distance that you can see in-game, using a fully-functional slider.

13) Sound Options menu is in place but has no functionality yet, since the game has no sound yet. :p

14) Controls Options menu - Lets you change the sensitivity of the mouse for controlling the camera, as well as the turning speed when using the keyboard (using sliders again).  There is also another option leading from here:

15) Configure controls menu! YES, finally, you are able to change your in-game controls (except abilities, but I figured that would be handled slightly differently so I wasn't sure what to do abilities just yet).

16) Game Options menu - These options let you change some general game appearance and functionality settings, such as network speed and the presence of text on your health/stamina meters.

17) Fully-functional BACK, SAVE and DEFAULT buttons on the options! Your options and controls are saved to files in the Config folder where the game is installed.  If you go back without saving, you get a warning message.  The menu should feel very natural and should explain everything effectively.  If it doesn't, I'll do my best to make it more user-friendly.  If I have to explain how it works here, I failed at making the options menu. :p  You are able to change your options, save your changes and/or go back to the default settings at any point while playing or from the game's main menu. Your most recently-saved settings and controls will apply instantly to the game you're playing (as soon as you press the SAVE button). They will also load automatically from the files in the Config folder when you run the game at another time.
----------------------

MULTIPLAYER UPDATES:

18) Fixed the chat bug where the text on the second line of the most recently-sent message had an X on the end.

19) Fixed the chat bug where the text on the second line of the most recently-sent message got mushed together with previous text on this line.  The second line now behaves properly except for the fact that it will wrap text in the middle of a word.  I will try to fix this later.

NOTE: Multiplayer will NOT work in this release!  I need to fix some things because of the network speed options and the 3D models changing from player to player.

---------------------

OTHER UPDATES:
20) Text on the first loading screen explains what it's actually doing so you can see the game isn't frozen. :p

Anyone who's still interested in this project, if you don't mind letting me know what you think so far and we can continue development from here!

Have fun! :D

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Woa lots of updates. Will download when I'm on a proper computer to download. :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've played it for a little while now, and i have to say that im really impressed. The  models are looking good so far, though im not going to lie, i find Littlefoots face kinda creppy. Love the option to finally configure the controls, but i find now that im used to the default controls now anyways :lol . Also, who in the right mind would want the mouse turning speeds at 100%!?

Anyways, now to some issues that i found. I don't know if you are aware of this, but if you hold the shift button, you can sprint "forever".  Another thing is that when you first talk to your NPC to finish the adventure, the "GoodBye" button does not appear. Its only when you first talk to them though. After the adventure is complete, the button appears. I'm not sure if thats consistently happening though. Lastly, though i hate to bring this up again, but theres still a problem with the water. I can still get my character to "walk under the water". In fact, it seems easier now with the models. All you have to do is keep strafing towards the river slowly, if you start to "swim", strafe towards the shore and try again. I found it easiest with Swimmer, and hardest with the Spiketail.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Also, who in the right mind would want the mouse turning speeds at 100%!?
I know some shooter players love their mouse at wicked-high speeds.  I set the maximum slightly higher than I figure any crazy shooter player would want, so there would be a full range of speed for everyone.

Anyways, now to some issues that i found. I don't know if you are aware of this, but if you hold the shift button, you can sprint "forever".
Known bug. :) Forgot to fix. :p

Another thing is that when you first talk to your NPC to finish the adventure, the "GoodBye" button does not appear. Its only when you first talk to them though. After the adventure is complete, the button appears.
Another known bug.  I probably just typoed a variable....yes I did. :p

Lastly, though i hate to bring this up again, but theres still a problem with the water. I can still get my character to "walk under the water". In fact, it seems easier now with the models. All you have to do is keep strafing towards the river slowly, if you start to "swim", strafe towards the shore and try again. I found it easiest with Swimmer, and hardest with the Spiketail.
Ah geez..okay I'll look into this.  Thank you.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm curious if the gravity value is the source of the problem.

Do you mind trying this EXE and seeing if you can still get the water bug?  I haven't been able to reproduce it at all, even with the old v0.20.

V0.201