The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Price Is Right

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've watched this show since... I can even remember living. It's just the best game show on Earth, period. "Bob Barker," as Wink Martindale put it, "is The Price Is Right. The Price Is Right is Bob Barker."

However, The Price Is Right is official sunk. Read here to know why. All I can say to this is:

AAAAH!!!
AAAAH!!!

:bang  :bang  :bang  :bang  :bang

Post your thoughts and comments here on the king of game shows, and the king of game show hosts (except for mabey Bill Cullen).

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
LOL I love the sound effects! :lol

I was always pretty happy with The Price is Right.  I like to think that Drew Carey can make it work, but only time will tell.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I was hoping Todd Newton would get it. I hope Drew Carrey won't ruin it. I do suppose it could have been worse if Rosie O'Donnel has gotten it. If she DID get the job, then it would be OMG, HANS JUST FELL OF THE CLIFF AND DIIIIED!!!!!
OMG, HANS JUST FELL OF THE CLIFF AND DIIIIED!!!!!

I do suppose only time will tell. One things for sure, though: no matter who got the job, it just wouldn't seem right just because it wouldn't be Bob.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've seen Drew Carry perform as the host on game shows before.  I even watched the $1 Billion Pepsi Challenge, and found him to do a pretty good job of hosting.  Of course, we're talking the most popular game show of all here.  After all, 35 years is alot to boast about. :)

I think Drew Carry will do a good job.  Comparision to Bob Barker, that's questionable.  I know Drew Carry will at least do a good enough job to keep the show going.  So trust me, it's not doomed yet. :^.^:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I don't know...I just think based on the fact Carey does a lot of comedy stuff, putting him in the role of the host of TPIR just seems....odd.  Reserved judgment until I see what he does on screen.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Aug 6 2007 on  03:03 PM
I don't know...I just think based on the fact Carey does a lot of comedy stuff, putting him in the role of the host of TPIR just seems....odd.  Reserved judgment until I see what he does on screen.
Agreed. All we can do is hope and wait, at this point.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Drew's breaking the air waves on October 15th, for you The Price Is Right fans and anyone else interested.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I probably won't watch it but I'm interested in hearing how it went.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
With it airing tomorrow, I'm bound to watch it.  I am a little uneasy about someone taking over, but I feel that the show will still remain to be the best game show around.

I had recently read an article about this happening.  We will see changes of the studio design and the models, but we will still have the same old games, studio name, (Bob Barker Studios in Hollywood.) and the same old rules.  There will also be a different announcer.  Only thing left is the new host Drew Carry.  The show itself will still show that it's about the contestants, which is what has made it such a success.  As long as it does just that, it will remain the greatest game show on earth.

In the end, I really don't think we need to worry.

Well, there's post 1,000.  Time for me to say goodbye to the Queen rank and hello to King. :)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Wait, Rich Fields isn't announcing any more?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I just saw the very first episode where Drew Carry takes over.  Now, let me just say that it was good, but Bob was better. :D

The studio looked brand new.  I very much approve of the makeover.  They do a more 3D panning view of the auidence. (Not only going side to side but overhead as well.)

We actually still have some of the models around. (Fire for one.) Rich Fields is still around actually, so that's not new. (Though it was a sad day when Rod Rodney passed away. :() The only other real difference is that it is no longer a MARK GOODSEN television production, it is now a FREMEDIA television production. (Yeah, I know the show too well! :P:)

I'm glad to see that Drew got to have a perfect through his first show.

However, the thing is, if Drew really wants to keep it going, he's going to have to step it up a notch a give it that unique touch that just makes it stand out.  Only time will tell if he can keep it going.

It'll take time to adjust, but I think I can get used to it. :)

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Saw the episode, and you know what? I think Drew did good in his first show, and will end up an excellent host. He seemed kinda nervous (to be expected) but that'll go away.

Overall, I say good for Drew. I hope he stays on as host for a long, long time.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Oct 15 2007 on  11:11 AM
Well, I just saw the very first episode where Drew Carry takes over.  Now, let me just say that it was good, but Bob was better. :D

The studio looked brand new.  I very much approve of the makeover.  They do a more 3D panning view of the auidence. (Not only going side to side but overhead as well.)

We actually still have some of the models around. (Fire for one.) Rich Fields is still around actually, so that's not new. (Though it was a sad day when Rod Rodney passed away. :() The only other real difference is that it is no longer a MARK GOODSEN television production, it is now a FREMEDIA television production. (Yeah, I know the show too well! :P:)

I'm glad to see that Drew got to have a perfect through his first show.

However, the thing is, if Drew really wants to keep it going, he's going to have to step it up a notch a give it that unique touch that just makes it stand out.  Only time will tell if he can keep it going.

It'll take time to adjust, but I think I can get used to it. :)
Couple of things.

First, it's Rod Roddy. ;)

Second, this show is a perfect show because the first shows are aired out of order. This show isn't the actual first tapping of the 36th season. This show was purposely picked to be the first to aired because of the 6 games won and $2,000 given away in the Showcase Showdowns.

Third, I'm too busy right now to post a detailed comment, but I'll get around to it soon enough.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Time to get started.

First, I was overall impressed with the set design and music edits (more percussion it seems). I like the way that the three big doors are colored differently. I also liked the way he greeted the first four contestants as he came to them. It kind of reminded me of clips I have seen from the 70s or 80s.

Money Game -- Good win, though I have to question the decision to pick $18. Mabey he wanted more money? :lol:  Remember, always listen to your wife! :D

Cliffhangers -- I knew from the moment he asked Peggy to yodel that she was going to play Cliffhangers. It kind of ruined it for me, and I hope he doesn't make stuff like that a habit. As for the playing, it was pretty good. It did look easy, what with $20, $30, and $40.  :oldlol:

It's In The Bag -- After much goading from the audience (and me :D ), Aura finally changed the second bag to the Aspercreme. I do have to admit, though, that I would have messed the second bag up (but I probably would have stopped at $8,000, anyway). I really wanted her to stop, and I was really upset when she decided to go on, but it turned out well in the end. I like how Drew kindly guided her by the hand over to the bag. Real nice.

Showcase Showdowns -- Apparently, a universal CC plug has been set for both Showcase Showdowns, again, something that reminds me of olde time Price. Also, $1,000 on the first spin (and $1,000 in the second Showcase Showdown, as well) was the cherry on the cake.

Easy Az 123 -- Again, I thought the contestant messed up, and I was proven wrong (meaning I would have messed up  :oops: ).

Item Up for Bids 6 -- 1K! :P:

One Away (the 5th pricing game was One Away, Joe ;) ) -- An easy playing that would have been hard to lose (but possible). When it was revealed that Amor had 2 right, I pretty much knew what the price was, and that she won. The whole "all mighty sounds person-whatever" thing will take some getting used to, but I think I'll manage. Also, am I the only one a little annoyed that he gave away the car games by asking if the contestants drove there?

Barker's Bargain Bar -- Again, this was an easy playing. A perfect show makes the day.

Showcases -- My main complaint here is that, in my opinion, the new Showcase podiums look awful. The way Drew said the pet population close-off sounded a little weird, but we really don't want him to imitate Bob.

Also, the disappearance of the Mark Goodson logo was a little dissettling for me. However, times have changed, I guess.

All and all, a good start. I was like a kid in a candy store waiting for this, and now that I have it, I can't wait to see more!

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
You like the little joke he made about "Barker's Bargain Dollars"? :lol:  Drew did well I think...certainly not as fluid at removing the prices from those little envelopes, but he certainly is very laid back and can do very well with this show. :)

I see Manny must like it if its an avatar now. :P:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
"It was named after the founder of The Price Is Right, Ezekiel Barker." :lol:

Avatars are an expression of character for me. Senior Calavera is my very online persona, but a special occasion has brought forth another of my interests (MAJOR understatement with the word "interest"). :D

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hehehe. Just saw the infamous "potty woman" on Plinko. :D Still more to see.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The only thing that kind of got to me for today's episode is that they got rid of that nice "golden road" on The Golden Road game.  I mean, that's what made it's name possible, right?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
That was probably done so the game wouldn't be revealed to viewers at the beginning of the show, because Drew entered through the big doors rather than through the audience, which is normal when Golden Road is being played.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
What was at the end of the Golden Road?  Its too hard to set up all the plugs and the vcr to record every day.