The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

2-D or 3-D animation for movies

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
Am I the only one who prefers 2-D animated movies over 3-D animated ones?

Because no one ever makes 2-D animated movies anymore :cry

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I really couldn't pick one because each has its strong points. For instance, I love movies like Land Before Time and shows like Naruto for their brilliant style of 2d art, and I couldn't ever see them being in 3D. But then there are movies like Toy Story and Wall-E which are so beautifully and masterfully done in 3D, that their level of detail and complexity could never have been achieved in 2D. To me I love both styles and couldn't really favor one over the other.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'd find it hard to pick.  I do like 2d, grew up with it like most of us likely have.  But if 3d is done well, in a way that it's natural and does not try to draw attention to itself, that can be fun to watch also.  Though some 3d is badly done and some purposely draws attention to itself, either in the 50's and maybe 70's, style thing where they have stuff fly at the viewer or just to show off and brag that they are in 3d.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I voted for both. While I do like 2D animation and would like to see more 2D stuff in the future, I am not against 3D movies. I wouldn't want to see them disappear in favor of 2D, even if I like it more.

On the subject of 2D animation, there is a movie being made by volunteers that follows traditional animation. It's called Wolf. If there's anyone who wants to work on a 2D animation movie, then you might be interested in this. They're still looking for help.

http://www.wolfmovie.com/

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
3-D Is the companies way of earning more money. I hate wasting for dollars for it What a waste of money it is. So I pick 2-D

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
2-D is also a way of earning money, so I don't see the difference, personally.

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Sep 13 2011 on  06:58 PM
Ever since companies switched to 3D, they've put less and less effort into the plot and characters and making tons of sequels.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nintendoofah64,Sep 13 2011 on  08:20 PM
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Sep 13 2011 on  06:58 PM
Ever since companies switched to 3D, they've put less and less effort into the plot and characters and making tons of sequels.
I highly doubt 3D had anything to do with that. There's a lot of 2D stuff in which not as much thought was put into them, or the characters. The advent of 3D didn't change anything; it just continued an already existing trend. There are still quality 3D movies as there were quality 2D movies. But just like how there were awful 2D movies, there's going to be awful 3D movies.

Sequels existed before the advent of 3D movies as well. 3D movies didn't cause this trend; it already existed before it, way back when books were the only medium (like hundreds of years ago). 2D movies also had their fair share of sequels.

My main point isn't to say "out with 2D, in with 3D", as I prefer 2D. However, I feel it is unfair to say that 3D is of lower quality, as I've seen a lot of 3D work and they can be really good. You can say that 2D had more good movies, but the main reason for that is because 2D was around longer. For every 2D masterpiece, there are a lot of less than appealing 2D movies. 3D is going to be the same way.

As I stated, I want both to stay, 2D and 3D. I enjoy both styles (albeit 2D more) and feel they both have something to offer.

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
Why isn't there an option for both? Some movies are a combination of the two...

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Not sure it's the worth wasting 4 extra bucks on. It's horrible. The 3-D Effect's are just terrible. It's not made well at all.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I prefer 2D. They have some kind of magical touch and in general acceptable stories.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie85,Sep 14 2011 on  12:11 AM
Not sure it's the worth wasting 4 extra bucks on. It's horrible. The 3-D Effect's are just terrible. It's not made well at all.
It all depends on which 3D movies you are looking at. Some have great effects and are done really well. And look at 2D. There are poorly made 2D movies with bad effects as well.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
2D is by far and away my favourite type of animation. I'm a complete sucker for it. Although that said...

I really couldn't pick one because each has its strong points. For instance, I love movies like Land Before Time and shows like Naruto for their brilliant style of 2d art, and I couldn't ever see them being in 3D. But then there are movies like Toy Story and Wall-E which are so beautifully and masterfully done in 3D, that their level of detail and complexity could never have been achieved in 2D.

While I do like 2D animation and would like to see more 2D stuff in the future, I am not against 3D movies. I wouldn't want to see them disappear in favor of 2D, even if I like it more.

I largely agree with these. Even though I am sad that 2D is less common nowadays and I wish they'd make more 2D movies, nor would I want 3D to disappear completely.

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
2D animation, I just feels crisper and has more flexibility than 3D animation.

Though I must say the technological advancements in 3D CGI computer animation is amazing when it's done properly 

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I prefer 2D animation like LBT, but I don’t mind 3D added in like when Sailback Sharptooth chases the Gang.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
2D ONLY
:[
If I have to choose between two possible options

though I am not 100% against 3D animation
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
There have been some shows that I have enjoyed made with CGI in 3D but some of my favourite animations that have stuck in my memory from childhood have been in 2D.

To also note if you want to do a cartoon with more darker themes with death etc, 2D is better because it looks too unrealistic to pass for what may look like actual animals being killed on screen.