The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Discuss: The Hidden Canyon

Noname · 49 · 13166

Bruton the Iguanodon

Yeah, I know, but that's not fair 2 everyone else  :cry

Bruton the Iguanodon

Bruton the Iguanodon

I thought it was interesting how they showed Ducky and Spike going home and their mom just happening to have their favorite treestars ready for them for dinner. Why did they show this happenbing to them? Why not any of the others, such as Petrie?

Also Ducky said "my favorites" when in 5 she said her favorites are "I like the tall grass with the long stems" or something

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon, Apr 27 2012 on  06:06 PM
I thought it was interesting how they showed Ducky and Spike going home and their mom just happening to have their favorite treestars ready for them for dinner. Why did they show this happening to them? Why not any of the others, such as Petrie?

Spike is a famous eater. When even Spike can't eat anymore after all the fruit in the Hidden Canyon, then you can be sure that the Gang ate to their hearts' content and then some. With Petrie it just wouldn't have the same effect.

Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon, Apr 27 2012 on  06:06 PM
Also Ducky said "my favorites" when in 5 she said her favorites are "I like the tall grass with the long stems" or something

Treestars have always been her true favourite. Remember when Littlefoot said: "Do you think you can find any treestars around here"? Everybody yelled "Treestars!" in unison. It's obvious what their favourite food is.

Bruton the Iguanodon

"We made a big mistake" was a great song, kinda hard rock, even though it was kinda sad, but I didn't like after it how the adults were blaming Chomper and Ruby, too, even though they didn't even eat from the place. I like Chomper and Ruby and am disgusted that they unjustly got punished for something they didn't even participate in (namely, the rest of the gang pretty much getting high on the fruits.)

Also why was Ducky of all characters the only one to be unhappy about there not being anymore fruit?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is a lovely episode! :lol:

We have a new game, a new location, and lots of cool scenes. The fight scenes were especially cool since there was actually some combat for a change :lol

Won't go into detail since others have analysed most of the episode already anyway...
Inactive, probably forever.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
A sharptooth fight (2 actually) in one episode? A+ for me. Favorite episode. This is also the first one I had watched and clearly remembered.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I gotta say, that pinecone soccer game looks like fun. :DD

When they first enter into the hidden canyon, I couldn't help but think of Berry Valley. :p

As for the theme of the episode, we can see that gluttony and keeping secrets are bad things, and in general, stories with fruit in them tend to be moral lessons (Adam and Eve, Gilgamesh, The Golden Apples of Discord from Greek Mythology, etc), and the fruit tends to be bad (a forbidden object and/or and object of material desire.)
Oh, interesting. It's neat to look at it that way and apply it to the episode.

I was a bit let down by the lack of follow-up from "Escape from the Mysterious Beyond" with Thud's development. Even though I figured at the time it would just be a one-off thing, I still think it's something they could have gone further with.

I liked the initial idea of the hidden canyon and the kids having their own secret hideout, and how it turned out to be a surprise entrance for the sharpteeth. There was a good plot setup there. But alas, it kinda fell apart at the end with a climax and resolution that was just too ridiculous. It certainly does not make the villains out to be very threatening or competent. I get that for a light-hearted series, there's only so much the writers could do. But... really? All you need to do to scare off Red Claw and his goons is to just toss some fruits at them?

Then again, I guess it wasn't really any less ridiculous than the other episode where they run off because Spike was covered in mud and smelled bad, but that only further emphasizes the point. Chomper refers to Red Claw as "the biggest and meanest sharptooth of them all," but... eh... I'm just not buying it. :rolleyes

Oh well. Despite that, the episode was entertaining enough that I'll give it a 6/10.

Everything's better with juicyfruit! It makes the episode all gorgeous and juicy and sweet and beautiful and tasty!
lol
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 05:17:39 AM by StardustSoldier »

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
This one, if not "one of favorites", then one of episodes I definitelly liked than was disappointed or felt nothing about them (like many-many episodes of this show).
Mainly because of because of more than one not so bad action scenes, first arrival of Red Claw in valley, and valley residents' teamwork in defending, and well, concept of fruits poisonous for carnivores (not death poison but sickness poison) are pretty interesting to me.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412