The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Superior Kids or Incompetent Adults? Both!

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Is it just me, or do the adults tend to react to things immaturely while the kids constantly portray vast wisdom beyond their years? It is a most unrealistic portrayal of life. With age comes experience, and these movies are getting the message across that children are superior. This could make young viewers enter a hesitant state at the thought of growing up, while giving them a false sense of security about their youth and a lack of respect for their elders. Don’t follow me? Fine. I will elaborate on examples that undervalue the adults while glorifying the likes of youth.

In movie number three, there was a problem in the Great Valley- a lack of water. The adults handled this by arguing for an extended period of time, which accomplished nothing. The kids also had a problem- their peers, or, the bullies, were heading into danger. Littlefoot did not hesitate, left the valley, then saved the mean teenagers. So, in retrospection, the adults couldn’t handle their problem while the kids jumped right into theirs and solved it. Isn’t that teaching kids that careful planning is a waste of time and rushing into danger is the solution? Furthermore, it might make kids not worry about being reckless, as their parents will just fix everything. I mean, I once made a thread in this section comparing The Lion King to The Land Before Time. Well, here’s a difference, making The Lion King’s example of this more appropriate for developing minds.

In The Lion King, Simba recklessly charges into the unknown, and because of that, he was nearly killed. The gang of five was also nearly killed for wandering off. So what was the difference, you ask? Simba got a royal scolding from his father. Mufasa gave a huge lecture that taught kids what can happen if you head into danger. The adults in The Land Before Time? Hm. “This is no time to go exploring.” Really? Is that all? Just like the adults failed to respond to a problem, they failed to chide their children and reveal just how wrong it was for them to leave like that. Hyp got reprimanded the worst, but the only complaint his father made about him leaving was that his departure was a distraction to solving the water problem. “Duh, dad?” “Yeah?” “I’m going to enter a near death situation.” “Nah, don’t do that! It might distract me!” The full concept of the danger was never passed down from parent to child. The parents simply took care of the sharpteeth, and all was fine. So, kids were glorified as being the ideal characters and the authority and wisdom of adults was thrashed in this film by making it seem like not planning is the way to get things done, and doing dangerous things will simply cause your parents to bail you out. Did the head writer have parent issues…?

In movie number four, a resident faced death. Yet, no adults would go because it was too dangerous. Wait, what did I just say!? In movie number four- No, I heard myself! I just couldn’t believe my ears. What better reason to face danger than to save a loved one! Some cousins they were! Here is another example of how The Lion King shines and The Land Before Time, well, doesn’t. When Simba was in danger, his father risked everything to save him. He was the ideal adult, holding life sacred enough to put his own well-being at stake to save that of another. I mean, TLBT was laughable! The adults just murmured to themselves, and the Old One felt it was too risky. Well, she wasn’t as smart as some thought she was, because if a pack of kids can handle it, it would have been cake for adults to retrieve the healing flowers. In the end, the kids are shown to be exemplary for going off to the Valley of Mists, while the adults are portrayed as ninnies. Sure, it wouldn’t have been as great an adventure for adults to help, but there are tactical ways to prevent the adults from helping without making them seem likes heartless meanies! Maybe there was a cave in where the only big entrance to the VoM was, so adults couldn’t fit through. Heh, I thought of that, and I’m not even some big time, paid writer. This shows kids that adults just don’t care, so when they want something, they should get help from other kids. What a wonderful message! Don’t go to your elders, go to your peers! So sad…

In movie number five, the adults argued to the point that they decided to split. It was the kids that kept everyone together. Oh my gosh! Are the children and parents role playing that their roles are switched? I mean, this is one of the most blatant reversals of how families work. Kids fight and tension rises, yet the wise parents settle things and bring ties back together. It’s almost like the writers forgot which characters were the grownups and which were the little ones. This shows kids that children are peacemakers and adults cause tension that has to be fixed by the younger generation. Let me guess. When Littlefoot grows up and has children, he’s going to get in fights and HIS kids will set things right. This was just a total role annihilation.

In movie number six, the adults were going to run Doc away because of their superstitions. Littlefoot realized how silly this was. See the role confusion again!? Sure, his grandfather didn’t believe it either, but still, while practically the whole Great Valley felt that the weather problems were caused by a dinosaur, Littlefoot knew better. Huh, who’s there? Oh, hello there! You’re professor Xavier, from the X-Men, right? I knew it! What’s that you say? You’ve been trying to find Storm’s X gene at the source, and you traveled back in time after tracing it to a dinosaur? Wow. Oh, and you say his name is Doc? Oh my. Boy, do I feel silly for criticizing the grownups now. It makes perfect sense. Doc is really a mutant who can manipulate the weather. Thanks, professor X! No, but seriously, they were foolish for thinking Doc was the cause of their trouble. Once again, adults + LBT = incompetence while children + LBT = sense.

In movie number seven, Ducky is kidnapped. Do a bunch of adults rush to save her? You guessed it- nope! It’s the kids who leave to find Pterano. Adults didn’t show up to help until the very end. The kids save the day but nearly perish from the nearly-too-late arrival of those grownups. What is this teaching kids? Adults procrastinate, and kids are the real ones to turn to when there’s trouble. Good night, can’t you get adults and kids straight one single bloody time!?

In movie number eight, a herd nearly starves, but one child senses food and saves them all. This shows young viewers that kids are more resourceful than grownups. They even literally say that Spike saved the herd. It was like he has a super dinosaur sense of smell. Is this showing that adults don’t smell very well? Heh, get it? Anyway, the leader of the spiketail herd, the bloody leader for crying out loud, was totally lost but a little kid lead them all to safety. This may make kids undervalue the perception of those in authority, thinking they can possibly do a better job. As usual, the adults were incompetent compared to youth, and the kids were portrayed as the superior characters. Can they ever get roles- Okay, you know what? Forget it. They will never get roles straight so I’m just going to stop asking.

In movie number nine, it made adults seem like coldhearted folks who don’t care about helping those in need. The kids politely ask for help with Mo, and they get a refusal simply because Mo is a stranger and they’d have to venture to the Mysterious Beyond. Okay, I can kind of get the wariness of strangers thing, but they lived in the MB for most of their lives, so what harm is a little journey, especially if someone needs the assistance? The adults just seemed mean here. Now, guess what! I bet you’d never imagine, based off of all the things I’ve said thus far, who actually does the right thing and helps. The kids! Told you you’d be surprised. Now, the what this teaches can be taken two ways, actually. It not only shows that it’s not right to withhold help from those who need it, which the adults did, but it teaches kids that going with strangers is safe, which the children did. Littlefoot and company left their home to travel with someone they’d never met. Kids should never do this! So this time, the kids strength of heart is also a weakness. The writers mixed up the elements of helping those in need and trusting strangers. So the children did the right thing and the wrong things at the same time. Uhhh… Okaaay… It was nice to make the kids have a blatant fault and all, but if you’re going to make their behavior wrong, then make it wrong! Don’t add a hidden positive in the background of their deed that makes the concept confusing.

In movie number ten, eh, well, I think that they actually got the roles right here. Littlefoot got upset and his father comforted him. Cera couldn’t cross a river without the help of Pat. Littlefoot would have died if not for Sue. I think that the adults and children were finally portrayed as they should be. And there was much rejoicing. Yay!

In movie number eleven, things went right back to the role confusion. Why, oh why, couldn’t you keep things right when you had them that way? Oh well. What’s done is done. Let’s take a look at the damages. Hm, not much to really say about this one. The kids accepted the tinysauruses while the adults feared them and wanted to drive them away. The kids were like John Smith from Disney’s Pocahontas, the tinysauruses were the Indians, and the adults were the other white men. Both groups could not accept the other on equal terms and wanted to be as far away from each other as possible. The white men (the LBT grownups) wanted to drive away the Indians (the tinysauruses) while John Smith (the kids) found peace with both sides at once. Whoa, hold the phone. This isn’t LIKE the Pocahontas movie. It IS the Pocahontas movie. The savages song from Pocahontas is just like the creepy crawlies song from the LBT movie. I can just see the director, trying to think of a plot for movie eleven, then his little daughter tugs on his pants and asks him to watch a movie with her. He refuses for days, then finally accepts, having found no ideas. As he watches Pocahontas, his eyes lights up, and he calls the writer team up. Sadly, the father never finishes the movie with his daughter. I mean, seriously, the plot theme was just like that Disney movie, although they kept the original formula of the kids being superior in intellect to the adults. The movie downright mocks adults. One chases her tail, and one gets stuck. This just piles on the incompetent notion of adults to young viewers, and also shows them that adults look for trouble while it’s the kids that want peace with things. Another example of the bad role reversal of adults and kids, and to make things worse, the plot isn’t even original. Okay, I stand corrected. There really IS a lot to say about this one- sadly.

In movie number twelve, there is a system erected to be followed by young flyers. When they start acting out of line, Petrie’s mother says that the day of the flyers will never be the same. How awful! This is showing kids that they can bend rules set by elders and they’ll just be amended to fit. The adults foolishly let the kids take charge, not judging like they were supposed to. Sure, it’s nice to show that kids can make a difference too, but it’s not so great when they go against the parameters of the guidelines that authority has prepared for them. The judges were just too passive, showing that kids can get away with things. As for the kids being too adultish, it was Guido who gave Petrie the best advice, not his own mother, showing that parents aren’t the best source to turn to for sage counsel. Nice going, writers!

Finally, in movie number thirteen, whew, this was probably the clearest role reversal of them all. The adults acted like five year olds and Littlefoot acts like an old man. Need I say more? Eh, I will anyway. The adults were totally lost without the kids. Littlefoot and company showed them the right way to go. Having adults being the lost souls and the kids being the guide is a silly thing to show young viewers. Sure, there are kids that know places that adults don’t, but this went beyond knowledge of the area. The grownups just had no common sense and no sense of direction. The kids were shown as being more logical and leaderly than the adults were. This could cause insecurities about the judgment of elders in young viewers. Sure, there would have been no adventure if the yellowbellies knew where to go, but such a loss wouldn’t sadden many people.

I got two words for you: wow. Okay, okay, so it was just one. I’m tired; cut me some slack. After the original, there have just been far too many role reversals that can give kids the wrong idea. In some cases, it makes a bit of sense, but in most, it’s just silly and uncalled for. There can be many adventure while kids act like kids and adults act like adults. They didn’t have to degrade the name of adults and give the children an exaggerated sense of superiority over their elders. I find this to be a flaw in The Land Before Time series. Say what you will, but that is my stance.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
While it is certainly true that very often the adults are rather inactive to the point of incompetence I'm afraid that part of it is because the movies are meant to be about the kids rather than the grownups. The behavior of the adults in LBT 4 is indeed inexcuseable, but the alternative would be a movie focused on some of the grownups in which the kids would play no role of any significance.
I am not contradicting any of the points you made Michael, but I want to supplement a few points which may not quite balance the picture but still deserve to be mentioned.
You skipped LBT 2 for example in which indeed the grownups save the kids from their own folly (which otherwise would have cost their lives thus berefting them of any future chances to prove the adults wrong). Had it not been for the mistakes of the kids much of the problems in this movie would not have happened. During the clash with Chomper's parents you also see the characters (Ducky in particular) grossly underestimating the sharpteeth so their skins need to be saved by the adults again.
In LBT 3 you are are right of course about the lack of constructive action on the part of the grownups. However, again the movie would have been rather short if they had just send out a flyer upstream to figure out the problem and then fix the problem. Also, to be fair the high degree of tension about the lack of water and resulting problems are fairly accurately depicting the attitude that many humans would show in this situation. It ought not to be missed that the adults are not simply a homogenous group about it either. Note that Littlefoot's grandparents for example do take some rather sensible measures:
-going for the dew (which Littlefoot foolishly messes up).
-foreseeing the risk of fire and teaching Littlefoot about the escape routes (which alone makes his later hero job possible).
-Trying to achieve a compromiss (the failing of which is not exactly unheard of when beings of any age are short of something vital as water).

The wandering off of the bullies can also be seen as folly of kids rather than adults I take it and again we have the adults in the role of protectors against the sharpteeth which you apparently saw in LBT 10 only.
In case of LBT 5 we shouldn't totally miss that Cera and Littlefoot were too quarreling (likely as irritated as the adults about starving) and their later action may be credited to their friendship (which to this degree doesn't seem to exist among the grownups) rather than their age.
In LBT 6 once again we have attitude among grownups that is not exactly unheard of (just check out what politicians say about imigration policies in any country when you want to hear the "all the strangers fault!" calls) and the kids (Cera in particular) chim into that one too. Littlefoot's attitude, however well intended, is also not exactly that of a genius. The question on whether or not there was any badluck caused by the breaking of a piece of rock aside there is no real reason why he couldn't be a bit more open towards his grandpa especially when there was no less than lives (at least his own when he went of in his "on your own" enterprise) were at stake. And same as before the adults grandpa and Doc did take on the role of the protectors to the kids after Cera and the others had smartly decided to let Littlefoot's grandpa in on the whole matter.
For lack of time at this moment I need to stop here. I do not argue your point that very often the adults are acting (or not acting) exageratedly stupid while the kids often do the right thing the adults seem to be incapable of. My points are that there are exceptions which you seem to have overlooked, that the problems you mentioned likely are necessary to make a story about the kids who simply wouldn't get as often into such "special situations" if it wasn't for the way they and the adults are acting, and that I hope you are not getting as personally worked up about it as the tone of your message suggests Michael... (am I "seeing things" or are you perhaps trying to immitate the sound of Marzgurl by any chance?)

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I hope you are not getting as personally worked up about it as the tone of your message suggests Michael... (am I "seeing things" or are you perhaps trying to immitate the sound of Marzgurl by any chance?)

I’m not worked up about anything. Nothing that I mentioned in this thread has aroused any annoyance or anger in me at all. There are extremely few things that get to me about The Land Before Time, and none of them were mentioned in this thread. Nowhere in my post did I say I got any undue feelings about the points I brought up. The only reason I wrote these things is because I felt there haven’t enough thought-provoking threads about TLBT lately, so I just sat down and tried making one. I understand my tone was tense, but I made it that way only because I felt that it would compliment the messages I was trying to get across. I had a lot of fun writing that and never once did any anger cross my path. I love TLBT and how it turned out. I just desired to write something that would make people think of what this forum is really about. I found the majority of my points so amusing that I would sometimes laugh as a I wrote, and never once did I frown in frustration. I have written essays for a long time in my life. I was taught to contribute a tone to my writing that goes hand in hand with the theme. A very tense, almost cold tone was exactly what I felt would go best to bring out the full flavor of my words. The only worked up I got over this was how enjoyable it was to write. The internet can be a difficult place to assume the state of one’s true heart.

As for Marzgurl, I have been trying to watch her videos for a long time. My computer got a virus so I had to restore it to its original factory state. With all my updates and up to date programs gone, I am currently unable to view any of her videos. The part of the site where the video goes just stays blank, just like how the Nostalgia Critic's videos are for me now. I look forward to seeing what she has to say, but for now, I’m locked out of them.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Well, the target audience is children. Hence, child heroes. Though you're right, they could do it without it being a detriment to the adults' behavior.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To add to the above comments, I think the series also attempts to point out that children are much smarter than they're given credit for.  It seems too often adults will undermine kids' ideas just 'cuz they're kids and should not know anything, but if more adults would really take the time to listen to children, they would realize there are lessons they can learn from children.  Again, I think that's a major point the series is trying to make, that children are not so stupid like many grownups perceive them to be.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Speaking of children bein' smarter than adults; Are you smarter than a fifth grader?  :lol:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
If you mean "do I know useless over-complicated mathematics that most people will never use and equally useless history trivia that most people don't need but still gets crammed into our heads at school on a regular basis anyway", then no, I don't. I have actual, practical knowledge that I use for my adult career which I largely learned outside of school.

I would love to go onto Foxworthy's show and be put against a kid to answer how to repair a hydroplant generator, fix the plant's phonelines, or how to force open a dam lock without dying a horrible death. Let's see those brats outdo an adult then.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That does seem to be the easiest way to write juvenile fiction and things aimed at kids, is to make the kids very competent, and make the adults incompetent, evil, huge jerks, ect.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think it all goes back to the fact that the original film made this work the best and the writers in the sequels struggled to keep Littlefoot and co in the spotlight. The situation originally wasn't useless adults. It was "no adults, pull together to survive this impossible situation". Then they reached the valley.

Frankly, I liked how they handled there being adults in the LBTII, where the gang worked themselves into deeper and deeper trouble the more they left the adults out of the loop.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
While I too think it worked out well in LBT 2 I also think there would have been the risk of a certain piece of criticism ending up aimed at the kids rather than the adults: "Don't these idiots ever learn at all?" Which might not sit too well with the characters.
Perhaps the trick would really be to create situations in which the characters had no other choice than to do what must be done, but in a place like the Great Valley this is not as easily done as in the situation they were in in the original movie.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I think the problem with this aspect of question is that it is hard to characterise the adults.  For the most part the adults are only 2D in character compared to the children who have a 3D character because they have more time to evolve their characters.  Therefore it is reasonable to conclude that because the gang have more movie time focus on them, that they would take part in activities that you are voicing the fact that the adults are made to look incompentent.  

I do not think it is about incompentenece, merely it is probably the lack of creativity with the writers.  Whilst Mufasa died in TLK, he was a full fleshed out character.  Characteristics applied during pre-production is important; the stronger  and more thought out the characteristics applied, the better characterized the individual character will be.  Mufasa's character was like that, he died to protect Simba.  That was his character and how the story line would be going.  LBT hasn't really been able to do that...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, they had the opportunity to kill Grandpa in LBT4...

Bruton the Iguanodon

Friendly Sharptooth, I loved your whole analysis! The whole idea of 11 being a Pochahantas rip-off that sprang to the director's mind when watching "Pochahantas" with his daughter is...an intriguing interesting theory!! By the way, have you watched Nostalgia Chick's review of "Pochahantas"? It was one of her first reviews, and was pretty funny!

Anyways, you're totally right. In three they act like kids, in 4 they're willing to let one die, in 5 they all decide to just go off in their own herds, in 6 they're all superstitious about Doc, in 7 they just argue, in 8 we saw how much better a herd leader Spike is compared to the actual adult leader, in 11 it was Pochahantas all over again, in 12 they let kids get away with breaking the rules. I mean, I run in track meets, and am constantly worried when I'm about to do one. I know I can't stop and just walk to the finish line, but say I was to---do ya think everyone would be congrtulating me for not running?

Anyways, getting the adults roles right was one of the high points of 10.  :D

Bruton the Iguanodon

In movie number nine, it made adults seem like coldhearted folks who don’t care about helping those in need. The kids politely ask for help with Mo, and they get a refusal simply because Mo is a stranger and they’d have to venture to the Mysterious Beyond. Okay, I can kind of get the wariness of strangers thing, but they lived in the MB for most of their lives, so what harm is a little journey, especially if someone needs the assistance? The adults just seemed mean here. Now, guess what! I bet you’d never imagine, based off of all the things I’ve said thus far, who actually does the right thing and helps. The kids! Told you you’d be surprised. Now, the what this teaches can be taken two ways, actually. It not only shows that it’s not right to withhold help from those who need it, which the adults did, but it teaches kids that going with strangers is safe, which the children did. Littlefoot and company left their home to travel with someone they’d never met. Kids should never do this! So this time, the kids strength of heart is also a weakness. The writers mixed up the elements of helping those in need and trusting strangers. So the children did the right thing and the wrong things at the same time. Uhhh… Okaaay… It was nice to make the kids have a blatant fault and all, but if you’re going to make their behavior wrong, then make it wrong! Don’t add a hidden positive in the background of their deed that makes the concept confusing.

In movie number ten, eh, well, I think that they actually got the roles right here. Littlefoot got upset and his father comforted him. Cera couldn’t cross a river without the help of Pat. Littlefoot would have died if not for Sue. I think that the adults and children were finally portrayed as they should be. And there was much rejoicing. Yay!

Huh? Did you just call movie 10 superior to movie 9?!

Cause I think 9 is better.  And to be fair, it had a heartwarming moment with the adults and kids at the end. No offense, though.

Why is it that Littlefoot's grandparents always have to be sooooo freakin' perfect? They always seem sooo much more "mature" then the other adults, actually being willing to give creepy crawlies a chance, scolding them for acting like children...I want to see them be freakin' flawed! C'mon, universal! Make the grandparents as immature and stupid as the other adults for once, it's not fair to portray the others as flawed but them perfect!!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
No one said anything about perfection. Yes the adults can be flawed, but I believe the point that was being made was that LBT10 portrayed the roles more realistically, while LBT9 portrayed the adults as "cold-hearted" since they wouldn't help Mo because they didn't know him. I can guarantee you that, with how the adults were in LBT9, they would have helped Mo if he had been a longtime valley member.

No one said LBT10 was superior to LBT9; just that LBT10 did a better job with the child/adult dynamic than LBT9 did. And even if they did feel LBT10 was better, what does it matter to you? Yes you like LBT9 more than 10, but that doesn't mean everyone else will. Just accept the fact that some people may like LBT10 more than LBT9.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I will, as long as they accept the fact that I like LBT 9 more then LBT 10---LBT 1-9, actually, better then 10.

Oh, and like I said before, why is it that Littlefoot's grandparents always have to be perfect, and more "mature" then the other adults?!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
And what makes you think that they don't respect that? No one here ever called you out for liking LBT9 more than LBT10. So why are you so worried that they don't respect that?

And again, nobody said that LF's grandparents had to be perfect. I believe the view is they are older and have been portrayed as very wise. It's just part of their personality. It doesn't make them perfect. Nobody ever said it did.

Bruton the Iguanodon

OK, I just thought he was disregarding 3-9 but saying he liked 10 more, whereas I feel the other way around. but I guess he doesn't think that way.

GreyLizard226

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile

In movie number three, there was a problem in the Great Valley- a lack of water. The adults handled this by arguing for an extended period of time, which accomplished nothing. The kids also had a problem- their peers, or, the bullies, were heading into danger. Littlefoot did not hesitate, left the valley, then saved the mean teenagers. So, in retrospection, the adults couldn’t handle their problem while the kids jumped right into theirs and solved it. Isn’t that teaching kids that careful planning is a waste of time and rushing into danger is the solution? Furthermore, it might make kids not worry about being reckless, as their parents will just fix everything. I mean, I once made a thread in this section comparing The Lion King to The Land Before Time. Well, here’s a difference, making The Lion King’s example of this more appropriate for developing minds.

In The Lion King, Simba recklessly charges into the unknown, and because of that, he was nearly killed. The gang of five was also nearly killed for wandering off. So what was the difference, you ask? Simba got a royal scolding from his father. Mufasa gave a huge lecture that taught kids what can happen if you head into danger. The adults in The Land Before Time? Hm. “This is no time to go exploring.” Really? Is that all? Just like the adults failed to respond to a problem, they failed to chide their children and reveal just how wrong it was for them to leave like that. Hyp got reprimanded the worst, but the only complaint his father made about him leaving was that his departure was a distraction to solving the water problem. “Duh, dad?” “Yeah?” “I’m going to enter a near death situation.” “Nah, don’t do that! It might distract me!” The full concept of the danger was never passed down from parent to child. The parents simply took care of the sharpteeth, and all was fine. So, kids were glorified as being the ideal characters and the authority and wisdom of adults was thrashed in this film by making it seem like not planning is the way to get things done, and doing dangerous things will simply cause your parents to bail you out. Did the head writer have parent issues…?

Interesting analysis. Time of the Great Giving is one of my all-time favorite LBT films along with 5, 9 and 14. I agree that the adults weren’t depicted in a great light, but I don’t really think “isn’t that teaching kids…?” when watching it, since LBT isn’t a standard edutainment series—-like what you find on PBS)—-I’m not going to necessarily be immediately be thinking, “Oh, that’s such a bad example!”. I mean, take something like Caillou. Since it’s a show about a human character and the stories are very short, that’s obviously the kind of thing where I’m going to notice when there’s a botched moral.

Anyways, you went and compared it to TLK, and I don’t think it’s a completely fair comparison. In the case of LBT 3, Littlefoot and the gang only nearly got themselves killed in order to save the bullies. Yes, they could have had their parents call them out for their actions, but it was a bit of a different case than TLK (in which the main character heads into danger out of pure arrogance), and the focus of the scene is on how Hyp’s dad is a pretty crappy parent who, as you mentioned, only seems upset that his son caused an inconvenience rather than almost died.  (Either way, TLK is a really overrated movie imo, I know a lot of people like it but there are way too many problems with it for me.)

In the end, I think that despite it’s flaws, LBT 3’s underlying message of teamwork and generosity compensates for it’s portrayal of Generation X, and I think that can even be interpreted as a way of teaching kids that adults can and will make mistakes, and don’t always have the answers kids are looking for. Either way, LBT 3 is still one of my faves.

The kids were like John Smith from Disney’s Pocahontas, the tinysauruses were the Indians, and the adults were the other white men. Both groups could not accept the other on equal terms and wanted to be as far away from each other as possible. The white men (the LBT grownups) wanted to drive away the Indians (the tinysauruses) while John Smith (the kids) found peace with both sides at once. Whoa, hold the phone. This isn’t LIKE the Pocahontas movie. It IS the Pocahontas movie. The savages song from Pocahontas is just like the creepy crawlies song from the LBT movie. I can just see the director, trying to think of a plot for movie eleven, then his little daughter tugs on his pants and asks him to watch a movie with her. He refuses for days, then finally accepts, having found no ideas. As he watches Pocahontas, his eyes lights up, and he calls the writer team up. Sadly, the father never finishes the movie with his daughter. I mean, seriously, the plot theme was just like that Disney movie

I’m sorry…what…? :confused
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 07:27:42 AM by GreyLizard226 »

GreyLizard226

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I accidentally double posted, can someone remove this?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 03:01:38 AM by GreyLizard226 »