The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wii U

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Better get used it, because this is just a precurser of things to come.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Well I finally got to try out the Wii U. I was at Walmart a couple days ago and in the video game section, they had three consoles up. Wii U, X-Box 360, and Playstation 3. I decided to play on the Wii U since the X-Box one had no games loaded and the PS3 didn't have any games I wanted to play anyway.

So I played Super Mario Brothers U or something. I apologize if I got that name wrong. And my impression? Well the one thing I don't like about the Wii U is the design of it. It's not bad to look at. It's pretty looking. But when holding it and playing, I found my hands were getting tired pretty quickly.

But despite the quick fatigue my hands went through while playing, I enjoyed the game demo they had. Super Mario Brothers U is the very first Mario game I played since Super Mario World (discounting the racing games, I'm talking actual platforming Mario). So yeah, it's been well over 10 years since I played a new Mario game. And I liked what I saw. I even forgot about the pain my hands were in because I was having so much fun playing the Mario demo.

I was disappointed there weren't as many levels playable in the demo as I hoped, but what I did see did make me interested in getting a Wii U. But sadly, that won't be any time soon. I have other things I need to worry about and a Wii U will just get in the way financially. Maybe sometime in the future, I'll save enough money to get one cheaper. Or maybe someone will get it for me as a present or something.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I posted a video months ago where Jim Sterling talks about how he believes the Wii U will win this current generation of gaming. He has posted up, today, a followup video to that. Since I posted up the first video, I thought I'd post up the sequel video as well.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...tm_campaign=all

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
For those of you traveling on Southwest Airlines from now until December 22, you have a chance to get a free Wii U!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...ith-Free-Wii-Us

Best of luck to all of you who are traveling during that time!

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
In all fairness, I forgot this thing even existed. My boyfriend bought a Wii U and only owns two games, none have spoken out to him. In fact, when I had seen the new Mario, I had thought it was a 3ds game. It took a recent furry convention to remind me, and even then most people were playing on it were definitely not new games as far as I know. Honestly I would prefer the 3ds, at least there I'd have a broader selection of games.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You all want further proof this is a success?  The latest Mario game for it, Super Mario 3D World, has been sold out everywhere since Christmas Eve! (Seriously, I'm having a hard time finding a copy of my own to get. -_- Will try again Monday!) If that doesn't scream success to you, nothing will! :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I got a chance to play Rayman Legends on the Wii U at Walmart. I never played any Rayman before and I heard it was a good game. So I thought I'd give it a try. It was pretty fun. Cute with some nice artwork.

And then came that part where you're playing as this...elf character I guess, with an axe (sorry I'm not familiar at all with Rayman) running through this castle and everyone is singing, the whole level plays like a musical almost, and you just have to jump at the right time. The beat was quite catchy and I found myself tapping my foot while playing.

I want this game.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I recommend you try out Runner 2. It should be available on the Nintendo store.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I'm looking to get a Wii U but right now kinda waiting for Bayonetta 2. I loved the first one coz I love fast-paced, quick-twitch OTT stylish games like that (DMC the other noteworthy candidate amongst others). The Mario games look stellar as always and Wind Waker HD looks incredible but so far, the third party games aren't really saying much to me. Gonna wait for that one game to really get me invested then there's no stopping me. Maybe the new Smash Bros might be my tipping point... but that's still date TBC

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
*Sigh*... so far, the Wii U has been a huge letdown for me.
It is good as a Nintendo console but bad when compared to others. I am very disappointed with the games...

Super Mario 3D World - Boring. A huge disappointment after the great Galaxy games.
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Editon - Fun but I only played it for one or two hours.
ZombiU - Played it for an hour, never touched it again.
Nintendo Land - Awful. The worst mini-game collection I have ever seen.
Wii Party U - Mediocre.
Mario & Sonic - Mediocre.
Rayman Legends - The only great game but it is also available on other systems.

I also bought some Indie Games because of the games drought:

Trine 2 Director's Cut - Good game but I haven't completed it yet.
Kung Fu Rabbit - Great 2D platform game.

The Wii U is collecting dust now. I wonder if I bought the wrong system as I clearly don't have much fun with it.
The only game I'm looking forward to is Mario Kart 8 because everything I've seen from this game looks great. SSB4 on the other hand does not excite me one bit.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I think things have definitely turned around for the Wii U, especially since Mario Kart 8 came out. I finally got one for Christmas this year, but I'm a little bit disappointed. It's nothing to do with the games or the software of the Wii U, but it seems that the one I received is faulty. Whenever I unplug the console (or leave it powered down for a while - like an hour or so), the red power light starts flashing and I can't get it to turn back on. After fiddling around with the AC adaptor and the HDMI cable at the back of the console, I can get it working again, but it's a pain in the butt because so far I have to do this for nearly 10 minutes twice a day. It reminds me a little bit of the Xbox 360's red ring of death that my brother experienced. It really sucks considering I've had it for a mere 5 days, and this problem started almost immediately.

Don't get me wrong, I've gotten Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros. already for the system, and I'm having great fun with all of them so far, but I'm worried about playing too much on my Wii U in case it dies completely. It's a brand new console, so it shouldn't have much dust in it just yet, and when I check the console's heat after using it for a while the red light of death comes to haunt me, the Wii U itself is still pretty cold, so the fan system's working fine. I am disappointed because I expected that after so long, I thought that Nintendo would be the company to have the most reliable systems. I've got a GameCube that still works today, an N64 that still works today, a Wii that has lasted me a good five years, and a few models of the DS/3DS, none of which have died on me. My cousins also have a Wii U and it works perfectly fine for them, so it just seems that I just HAD to get the faulty one, didn't I?

I'm going to try some more troubleshooting tomorrow following some stuff I found on the internet, but if not, then it seems I'm just going to have to contact Nintendo and get it repaired or replaced.   <_<

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, just looks like the one you got was faulty. I'd either call nintendo about getting it repaired, or if you still have the reciept (OR whoever gave it to you still has the reciept) I'd just return that Wii U for a another one. If you can still just return it to the store it was bought at for a new one, that would be much more easier that calling Nintendo, sending it to them, and waiting for days/weeks for it to be returned to you.

You just got retail disk games for the console, right? No downloadable games?
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
You just got retail disk games for the console, right? No downloadable games?

Uhh... unfortunately, I downloaded Hyrule Warriors on Christmas day, before I knew about the issue. I also have Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros, but they are both disks, so I'm okay there. I have sent an e-mail to Nintendo, and when they get back to me I'll tell them about HW. If they end up giving me a replacement Wii U and I don't see anything for the stuff I downloaded from the eShop, I will throw a hissy fit until they give me something for it.

Another unfortunate circumstance is that my mum got the Wii U from Amazon (and I think Nintendo was the seller) because it was selling for a really good price, so it looks like either way, we'll have to send it back to Nintendo, which is a pain. This is why I have told my mum on more than one occasion NOT to buy expensive things online... :bang

Oh well, I'll just have to go back outside for a few days while I wait for a replacement. Don't think it can cause any harm. :lol

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: somerandomfangirl,Dec 29 2014 on  06:53 PM
Oh well, I'll just have to go back outside for a few days while I wait for a replacement. Don't think it can cause any harm. :lol
The light, it BURNS!!!!! :p

Hope it doesn't take too long to get your console fixed. Hey, but when you do, would you like to trade friendcodes, so we could play some mario kart or smash together sometime?
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It doesn't really matter that you've downloaded the games. They are still linked to your Nintendo ID (hurray for that, because otherwise I would've lost 3 of my games)

Sucks that you got a faulty one though. I'm trying to get mine connected to my TV which doesnt have an HDMI port, and sadly enough the normal AV cable doesn't work... So I'm gonna give component a try, who knows.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Dec 30 2014 on  08:16 PM
Hope it doesn't take too long to get your console fixed. Hey, but when you do, would you like to trade friendcodes, so we could play some mario kart or smash together sometime?
Absolutely! I need to have some friends on there. I'll PM you once I get my Wii U fixed.

It doesn't really matter that you've downloaded the games. They are still linked to your Nintendo ID (hurray for that, because otherwise I would've lost 3 of my games)

Oh that's a relief! I suppose it would bring up some complaints if people's consoles did die and they lost all the stuff that they paid for because of something that isn't their fault.

I haven't received a reply from Nintendo yet (though they did say that they're really busy at the moment and will take a while to reply), so I'm going to give it a couple more days and then I'll ring them up instead. I just prefer e-mail because I'm so bad at talking to people on the phone and if I get my mum to do it then she won't have a clue what to say because she has no idea how the thing works. That and she moans about the charges that apply to ringing them as she doesn't have that much money at the moment.  :unsure:

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I ended up calling Nintendo instead because my Wii U died completely, and they told me that I should either send it back to Amazon or book it in with them for an assessment. I opted to ask Amazon for a replacement and I just received my new Wii U today. I somehow managed to get the old Wii U to turn on again so I wasted no time and transferred all of my memory from the old Wii U to the new one. Amazon's given me until the end of the month to send the old one back, so I'll get my mum to do that sometime during the week. I hope I don't have any more issues  now.

Anyway, now that that fiasco's (hopefully) over, if anyone wants to add me as a friend, my NNID is mollfoxy99.  :smile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
At least you had a happy ending. That's better than a lot of services to like give people.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Indeed. The new console's working fine, though I haven't had the chance to play on it much because of being back at school/cadets/drama. From what I have played, though, it's pretty darn good. :smile

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/
I have barely seen it working and I haven't had the chance to play with one myself, but it seems a bit hard to handle and it looks way too fragile for me to actually consider to spend money on it.

The games all seem fine, though (but then again, it couldn't have been any other way).