The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Petrie's Mother

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm busy editing various sections on Wikipedia concerning The Land Before Time, and when looking at Petrie's mother, I came a cross the phrase:

known as Mama Flyer by fans

I just wanted to double-check on this with you lot, as I have never heard the phrase.

Also: Discuss the character, Petrie's mother, here.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've read the term here and on sites.  As I recall, I think the characters call her Petrie's mom.   Unless Petrie is present then they may just call her your mom to Petrie.   I don't think they've ever said what her name is.    I think the credits call her Petrie's mom.  

She seems as immune to speciesm as Ducky & Spike's parents are.  Ducky & Spike's father is seldom seen but at the end of the first movie I think I recall both of them, including the father, nuzzling Spike so I assume he is immune to speciesm as Ducky & Spike's mom are.    They don't show if she gradually lost it between the first and second movies like Littlefoot's grandparents likely did, or if she never had it.  

I just include Littlefoot's grandparents since neither of them mentioned their personal feelings that it is wrong when his mother talked about it always being that way in the first movie.  I'd guess if they were against it as they are in the later movies they'd have spoken up, and likely have raised their daughter to not be into that.  Though I'm sure she have lost it quickly too.  

The little I've seen of her in the debates & arguments she isn't shown as being swayed by Threehorn like Ducky & Spike's mother is, though I've not seen 11 yet so do not not know what they show her saying after Threehorn expresses his feelings concerning the Tinysauruses or even if she is present at all.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
take it easy man, just say petrie's mother,

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
It's always been "Petrie's Mom" as long as I've known.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Doesn't words "mama" and "mother" have the same meaning anyway? Than, what's the difference? :)
BTW, i'm always been thinking, that Petrie's mom is somehow older than other grown ups(Except maybe for mr. Threehorn... And Littlefoot's grandparents of course. :) ). Does anyone else have the same idea?

ZENUS-X

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Coyoye_A yes i think so too, but of Littlefoot's grandmother and grandfather very clever and wise, and Petrie's mother is not such wise and she have more free thinking in comparison with them. It is vusible in the seven part of "The land before time".

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
She could be a bit older then some, or she may be just that way naturally.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
A friend on another website gave her a name just to make it easier. I believe he named her Rae.

ZENUS-X

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Rae? Where did he hear it? I think that Ducky's, Pertie's, Cera's, Littlefoot's parents in LBT haven't names.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Well, it's really easier to call her "Rae" or some other name, than "Petrie's mom". But i think, many dinosaurs in LBT just don't care much about having a name.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Once my poor hearing provided me with a name for Petrie's mother. When I watched LBT 9 for the first time I misheard the utterance "Till then..." from Littlefoot's grandfather at the land break as "Pterana...". The moment he uttered the words Petrie's mother was landing nearby. Though the mistake was discovered soon the name had stuck to some degree. It is as unoriginal as unoriginal a name can be (with Pterano as her cousin), but I still used the name in a story I wrote.

In general she is a character that could be explored.
She seems as immune to speciesm as Ducky & Spike's parents are. Ducky & Spike's father is seldom seen but at the end of the first movie I think I recall both of them, including the father, nuzzling Spike so I assume he is immune to speciesm as Ducky & Spike's mom are. They don't show if she gradually lost it between the first and second movies like Littlefoot's grandparents likely did, or if she never had it.
I basically agree and the impression is further strengthened by her way of acting in the TV episode Days of Rising Water. She never ever shows the remotest degree of suspicion about Chomper and accepts his help just as happily as she accepts anyone else's (and it certainly does her a lot of good). Her acting towards Guido is also very warm and welcoming, comparable perhaps to the way Ducky's parents act towards Spike.
On the other hand she seems to be easily influenced. We see her among the other squabbling grownups when grandpa calls for reason in LBT 3. We see her looking rather intimidated at the tale about the land of mists in LBT 4. And unless memory is cheating me as I have seen the movie only two times and a while ago too she was very ready to participate in Mr. Threehorn's witchhunt in LBT 11.
It would be interesting to know a bit more about her relationship with Pterano. She seems to be far from enthusiastic about him, but not ready to keep him away from her children either. I suppose she must have been in a more difficult situation about him than anyone else. I wonder if she had any private talk with Pterano throughout LBT 7 and what that would have sounded like.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I thought Pterano was her brother since he's referred to as Petrie's uncle.  

I remember that episode well.  Petrie's 3 siblings (guess the rest were out having a coffee break during this episode) were always terrified when Chomper merely looked their way, except towards the end.    Makes me wonder how Ducky and Spike's siblings would react.

As for her being swayed by Threehorn, it seems everyone is either bullied or swayed by him, luckily his plot device powers that the script writers give to him.  The only ones that seem immune of the residents are Grandpa & Grandma Longneck, and Mr. Thicknose.

As for keeping him away from her kids, as I recall she wasn't to far away so likely could hear what he was saying.  I'd guess she would not mind him telling her kids a story, but if he started to try to get them to do certain things she'd likely have come out if she could have heard what he was saying.  Though I've not see the movie in a while so may not remember some details, and I'll watch in in about 7 weeks roughly.  I think when he asked Petrie do to something I think he had to whisper, maybe, so she would not hear.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I thought Pterano was her brother since he's referred to as Petrie's uncle.
That's true of course.
She refers to him as her brother too during the meeting shortly before the story about Pterano is revealed. The German translation turned that "brother" into "cousin" which is why I confused this.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder why they did that.  I assume German has a word for brother.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Of course it does. I have no clue either why such changes are made, but there are other such cases.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I know this is slightly off-topic, but has anyone ever covered Petrie's father? He has never been mentioned or seen...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't recall him being mentioned or hinted at.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Does anyone have any guesses as to what happened to him?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe something happened to him before the eggs of Petrie or his siblings hatched.

Jasper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://thekingofdistruction.deviantart.com
Quote from: Malte279,Mar 30 2008 on  05:34 AM
Once my poor hearing provided me with a name for Petrie's mother. When I watched LBT 9 for the first time I misheard the utterance "Till then..." from Littlefoot's grandfather at the land break as "Pterana...". The moment he uttered the words Petrie's mother was landing nearby. Though the mistake was discovered soon the name had stuck to some degree. It is as unoriginal as unoriginal a name can be (with Pterano as her cousin), but I still used the name in a story I wrote.

In general she is a character that could be explored.
She seems as immune to speciesm as Ducky & Spike's parents are. Ducky & Spike's father is seldom seen but at the end of the first movie I think I recall both of them, including the father, nuzzling Spike so I assume he is immune to speciesm as Ducky & Spike's mom are. They don't show if she gradually lost it between the first and second movies like Littlefoot's grandparents likely did, or if she never had it.
I basically agree and the impression is further strengthened by her way of acting in the TV episode Days of Rising Water. She never ever shows the remotest degree of suspicion about Chomper and accepts his help just as happily as she accepts anyone else's (and it certainly does her a lot of good). Her acting towards Guido is also very warm and welcoming, comparable perhaps to the way Ducky's parents act towards Spike.
On the other hand she seems to be easily influenced. We see her among the other squabbling grownups when grandpa calls for reason in LBT 3. We see her looking rather intimidated at the tale about the land of mists in LBT 4. And unless memory is cheating me as I have seen the movie only two times and a while ago too she was very ready to participate in Mr. Threehorn's witchhunt in LBT 11.
It would be interesting to know a bit more about her relationship with Pterano. She seems to be far from enthusiastic about him, but not ready to keep him away from her children either. I suppose she must have been in a more difficult situation about him than anyone else. I wonder if she had any private talk with Pterano throughout LBT 7 and what that would have sounded like.
Well I got say time will tell. Sooner or later we are bound to find out anyway about those two's pasts.