The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ace Combat series

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This thread is for fans of the Ace Combat games.  I would be looking forward to the release of Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation but I don't have an Xbox360 so I guess I'm screwed.  Anyway, so far, I have liked all the Ace Combat games I have played and have yet to be disppointed by one.  I think Ace Combat 5 is the best but many fans disagree mainly because of the annoying wingmen and the weird comments they make.  Other than that though, the story line is great.  The only problem I have with the game is that you don't get to select weapons for your aircraft.  Each aircraft has weapons preselected for it.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My friend has an XBOX 360. I have to say Pixy was my best wingman. He covered my six more than Grimm did.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think Namco decided to have your character have a faimly in this one. That theory is just based on the wording "Reclaim. The Ones You Love."

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace,Aug 11 2007 on  12:42 AM
My friend has an XBOX 360. I have to say Pixy was my best wingman. He covered my six more than Grimm did.
Yeah, Grimm was a wuss and so was PJ.  I didn't get the least bit upset when PJ died.  All he did was jabber and all Grimm did was make retarded comments.  Anyway, with Ace Combat 6 coming out next month I'll have to start saving money for a 360.  Have you seen the AC6 website?  The screenshots are amazing!  This is the first time you can actually see yourself from inside the cockpit.
http://www.acecombatsix.com/

This is the most epic trailer EVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLSYBDwXeWo

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My friend should have AC6 by tomorrow I'll be going to his place after school. I'll post back here when I get back!

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well played it yesterday. got to mission 8. The graphics are amazing! I also went online served some pwnage. The story line is the best I've seen in the series. B)  The A-10 has some serrious AI pwnage power.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
F-14 I think you and I are the only Ace Combat fans here.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
This is the impression I'm getting. And, no, I'm not a fan, either, partly, because I didn't know what "Ace Combat" was until I joined this board. Perhaps one of you would care to explain the series from start to finish?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Oct 28 2007 on  11:52 PM
This is the impression I'm getting. And, no, I'm not a fan, either, partly, because I didn't know what "Ace Combat" was until I joined this board. Perhaps one of you would care to explain the series from start to finish?
It is a combat flight sim. Since AC4 there have been dramitic story lines. The newest one has a more dramitic story line. For example *Warning some spoilers* The first mission of AC6 it shows One of the characters from the story lines daughter waiting for her school bus to take her on a field trip. Before the school bus door closes she say to her mother,"Dance with an angel mom" Which is the Emmerian way of saying goodbye. Emmeria is the country your aliegence is to in AC6. The cut scene goes on two Estovokian "the bad guys" fighters appear over Melissa's head.  One of the launches a missle which hits the bridge that Matilda's school bus is on and part of the bridge falls into the bay. Her mother yells out her name. It wasn't until later in a refuge camp that she her's her duaghter's voice over the raido. She then decides to go back to Gracemeria.  It is more of an arcade flight sim cause you have 50+ missles and some SP weapons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Combat#Ac....28Fall_2007.29
Here is a wikipedia link to the series. It also has Super weapons. And in almost every game there is a tunnel mission "woludn't be Ace Combat without one".  Does this explain the series?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I figured it as an arcade flight simulator, or something similar to that. :^.^: I guess that explains it pretty well. I would also like to hear F-14 Ace's take on the series, as well.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Air Comat: (PS1) Haven't played it

Ace Combat 2: (ps1) haven't played it

Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere: (PS1) Japanese version rocked but American version (the one I played) sucked!  THe entire story was cut out of it.  The Japanese version let you change sides and had several endings but the American and European versions had all that stuff cut out.  Curse you Namco! :mad

Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies: (PS2) Also called DIstant Thunder in Europe, this is probably one of the best games in the series and many fans think it is the best.  The game has believable characters, highly realistic planes, beautiful graphics and scenery, wonderful music, great voice acting, and a great story line.  Shattered Skies takes place in 2004-2005 on the fictional Usea continent.  

The story: In 1994, an asteroid called the Ulysses XF04 was detected heading for Earth.  Scientists rushed frantically to find a way to stop it.  They built a series of giant railguns called Stonehenge that could fire powerful shock blasts and destroy the asteroid.  In 1999, the asteroid reached Earth and most of it was successfully destroyed by Stonehenge but several fragments made it through and impacted several places and caused widespread damage.  The country of Erusea was particularly hard hit and had a governmental breakdown and as a result, the military tok charge.  These duded became power hungry and decided to take cntrol of the whole contenent using Stonehenge as a weapon of war.  Stonehenge could destroy any plane that was above 2000 feet and within 600 miles of the site.  Usea was a small continent anyay (roughly the size of the United States) so losing over 1200 square miles was pretty devastating.  ISAF, the organization you fight for in Ace COmbat 4, was devastated by enemy attacks and forced to retreat to an island nation called North Point which was outside the range of Stonehenge.  

Anyway, the story is told from two points of view.  One is narrated by a boy who goes unnamed in the game but is known as the "Storyteller Boy" among fans.  The boy was on his way to school one day when an arial battle broke out overhead and one of the planes that had been shot down crashed into his house and kille his parents.  The plane that shot down the other plane circled around and the boy saw a 13 painted on the side in yellow numbers.  The boy moved into the city of San Salvasion and earned money by playing a harmonica for occupation soldiers at a local bar.   Eventually, the boy comes face to face with Yellow 13, the leader of Yellow Squadron (the main villains in the game) but he comes to realie that the crash that killed his parents was a freak accident (they lived in the country so having a plane crash into their lone house was a freak occurrence.)  He eventually befriends Yellow Squadron and they look after him.

The othe rpint of view is from Mobius 1, the pilot you play as in the game.  Mobius 1 is an ISAF (Independent State Allied Forces) pilot who eventually earns a reputation both among the enemy and allies alike after single handedly destroying Stonehenge and shooting down a member of Yeloow Squadron.  It was said that his compat capabilities rivaled that of an entire squadron.  Mobius 1's real name and physical appearance remains unknown.

As a side note, Yellow Squadron are my favorite villains in the series because they are like real pilots.  They fight as a squadron and watch out for eachother.  They are just people fighting for their country only tey are on the wrong side.  In the newer games, bad guys have been complete whackos.  In AC5, you had Belkan terrorists trying to avenge their defeat from 15 years earlier.  In Ace Combat Zero, a bunch of nutjobs called "A World With No Bounderies" tried to desotry the world with a hug nuke.  I heard that the bad gys in AC6 were also complete whackos.  Unlike the other villains, Yellow Squadron didn't seek power or glory.  They were just a bunch of patriotic pilots serving their country.  It was kinda sad in the end when you shoot them all down.  

Anyway, I'll d a summary for Ace Combat 5 and Zero later.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
You make Ace Combat 4 sound epic, moreso than the others. :P: Is it really that good?

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yup.  Ace Combat 4 was rated one of the best games for the PS2 at one time.  It got a 100% on Rotton Tomatoes too.  If you have a PS2 then you should rent it or something.  Ace Combat 5 was also pretty good.  And have youseen the trailer for Ace Combat 6?  It looks like a real good game.  

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: F-14 Ace,Oct 31 2007 on  10:39 PM
And have youseen the trailer for Ace Combat 6?  It looks like a real good game.  
No, but I have now! :lol I'll have to check out Ace Combat 4 for the PS2 if I get one....

General Grievous

• Spike
    • View Profile
I think I may start playing some of these games.  I'm not an aircraft fanatic but these sound good.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
some of the cutscenes from AC6 are on youtube.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
SPOILERS BELOW!

I bougt an Xbox 360 and Ace Combat 6 yesterday.  I just beat the game and let me say it was AWESOME!  I think it was the best one since Ace Combat 4.  Shamrock is the best wingman ever and the battles are amazing.  The maps are huge and some of the dogfights put Shattered Skies in AC4 to shame.  The graphics are beautiful and the landscapes are breath taking.  No more of the wimpy 1000 foot mountains.  Some of these are 10,000 feet high.  The music wasn't as good as it was in Ace Combat 5 but it was still good.  The only things I have a problem with is that the game only has 15 missions and 15 planes.  I miss the JAS-29 Grippen and the Mig-29 fulcrum.  I think they could have inclued the F-35 Joing Strike Fighter and the F-15 C.  The story is great and only has a few cheesy parts, but the cheesy parts are what makes the game so fun.  We all know that planes don't fly through tunnels but that is what makes Ace Combat so great.  Every game has a tunnel fliight and a canyon flight.  Ace Combat 6 had 2 of each.

I didn't care much for the fight with that crazy Estovakian dude because he kept sending all his crappy UAVs after me instead of fighting me outright.  He wanted to fight me throughout the game but when we actually met he kept avoiding me.  Stovie coward. <_<

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When I was last at my friends I got to mission 8 haven't played it since.