The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Chomper

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Also from comments made on the tv show there is no indication that Chomper's parents ever died and for Ruby to have been asked to watch Chomper by his parents she'd have to have met them and they'd have to have come to trust her with their son.
Good point.
I'm still confused about Chomper's parents though. Would Redclaw be a threat to them? And if so, why would they want to leave Chomper with Ruby and her family (who are not nearly as capable of defending themselves and others as Chomper's parents are). There are many questions for which I don't think we will get a definite answer, though we may continue to guess.

stars

• Spike
    • View Profile
what i think about why Chomper's parents left Ruby to watch their son is because they may think Chomper would be much safer living in the valley even though the valley can get dangours sometimes where in alot of episodes show this and Ruby could have been someone Chomper's parents trusted to look out from Chomper but still why would they have her do it and not go to the valley with Chomper them selfs mabie because they are not welcome in the Valley and because Ruby is a new Character and her reason for watching Chomper is explained more and another reason why chomper could have letf his parents is because he is getting bigger now and they could wont him to start to go out on his own but he is so close to his parents and to young to defend and hunt on his own. He could have left because his parents wonted him to start to eat other dinosaurs and he did not wont to do that because well he is a little older now and he is a t rex or sharptooth but thats just a funny idea i made up. I wonder how Ruby and chomper meet what was it like and how did ruby talk to Chomper's parents to tell them she would watch Chomper if she speeks leafeater and Chomper's parents do not speek leafeater they speek sharptooh well mabie Chomper told them and also what would happen to her if Ruby ever lost Chomper would one of Chomper's parents eat her for that? i may have over thought this a bit to much but i do wonder this sometimes. :yes

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
He is so cute and he still is a baby. Don't call him a baby.  :angry:  Sometime he left out because he is a little sharptooth. Cera is sometimes mean to him so he should bit her  a lot.  I mean a lot. Seriously shouldn't he be playing with other little sharp teeth so he can learn how to fight and hunt like the  lion cubs and wolves do. I wonder sometimes if parents feed him meat or give him examples ofit?  The episode"Lonely journey"Doesn't make sense to me. Chomper  acts and thinks he is a flatttooth that he isn't aware that those fast biters speak only sharptooth. Redclaw who is always out to get him more than his friends? This is a puzzle to me since  why would redclaw want to cannibalize such a little rex. Why have two fast biters as pals or pets? In the episode ,he runs pass chomper without he recoginizes his scent. Which is weird since Redclaw seem to hate Chomper more than the other sharpteeth and is always trying to get him?Why I don't know. The baby sharptooth who try to teach sicks his parents on poor Chomper.  :cry Maybe because he wasn't the same kind of sharptooth as chomper since his parents look more like Spinosaurus than T-Rexes.He decides the only way to escape the baby's parents is to run to place where he wouldn't chase someone. Okay. They weren't chasing him anymore.If I didn't know better i would think chomper made the whole story up so he could play in the snow and slip down the cliff on accident.  Maybe chomper's teaching methods or approach was wrong. When in the Mysterious beyond be like a sharptooth or yourself?He should learn to force them to behave. HE wanted sharpteeth to be nice to each other? There are little sharpteeth so I assume they are nice to each other. I suppose it is because he is still a baby though I think he should learn to get along with his own kind. Rudy says that sharpteeth weren't ready to be taught. It would be wise for chomper to get to learn how to be like his kind. :cry2

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No problem at all. I merged the two threads.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jul 4 2008 on  11:26 AM
No problem at all. I merged the two threads.
I didn't know that was possible.  

As  Ruby does mention she promised his parents to look after him.  How this came about and why he's not with his parents may be a few mysteries that are never resolved.  It could be that Chomper translated, or it could be one of Ruby's parents may know sharptooth.  Who knows maybe one of them saved one of Chomper's parents when they were kids or she saved Chomper at some point, similar to how Littlefoot saved Chomper in 5.

In a flashback it seems Ruby and Chomper were planning on going to the Great Valley even before Red Claw appeared & they got separated from her parents.  It may be possible that Chomper was separated from his parents by Red Claw or something.  I'd guess they are still alive since he doesn't mention them not being alive, or seeing them die or something like that.  Also it is odd that Ruby's parents never did go to the Great Valley.  They had at least 2 chances, before Red Claw appeared and Ruby & Chomper went to the Great Valley, & in the tv episode Return to Hanging Rock.  Another mystery of unanswered questions.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Well, the fact why Chomper have left his parents behind is easy to explain: he have stopped to eat meat completely, and that cause some troubles to his parents. So they have found some other species to help them care for their child. Mayble, Chomper's parents even started to feel shameful about their kid. :huh:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't think so. We see him eat insects throughout the episodes while it is made clear that he can't eat plants. For obvious reasons he can't eat meat in the Great Valley, but he is still young enough to make a living on insects where older sharpteeth may not. If Chomper's parents had "expelled" him I doubt they would have told Ruby to take care of him.
The movies sort of avoid to really tackle the problems that originate from Chomper's being a sharptooth. I could well imagine him being fully capable of eating some of those not-speaking lizards which sometimes creep throughout LBT movies for merely decorative purposes, but he would probably be considerate (towards his friends as well as for his own good) enough not to do that while his friends are watching.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
He's eaten some meat on screen and has been shown to spit out green food when he accidentally gets some in his mouth.  He's eaten a snapping shell, various kinds of insects.   As to why he's not with his parents, that is never fully explained.  He and Ruby are on a mission, but whether this has anything to do with his being separated from his parents is not mentioned.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Malte, when i said "stop eating meat completely", i meant the dinosaures' meat. I think, that many sharptheeth would consider it's a shame for a young shartheeth of the Chomper's age to keep on eating insects. Remember the scene from the 5th movie, when Chomper's mother told him "not to play with his food". That means, she was sure, that Chomper could hunt Littlefoot without big problems.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes Andrey, but there are some problems about the whole thing. The one is that for the time being Chomper may be able to make a living on insects and perhaps small lizards, but this is not a state that can last forever. When he grows up this diet won't do to keep him alive.
Next, it is interesting (but tricky) to think about where Littlefoot and the others would draw the line on what Chomper "may" eat and what he may not. There are several scenes throughout LBT where Littlefoot or other characters showed some interest in smaller creatures (frog, dragonfly etc.) though it is not quite sure if they would put them on the same level as dinosaurs (as "sentient beings" so to speak). They probably wouldn't think much about such creatures they cannot communicate with verbally (which should be a relief for the Tinysauruses of LBT 11 who otherwise might qualify for a meal for Chomper). There is one land before time audio play which includes a speaking caterpillar. That audio play does not include Chomper, but if it wasn't for his speaking that caterpillar would probably be accepted as a meal for Chomper. However, the ability or inability to speak is probably not the only thing Littlefoot and the others would take into account when deciding what Chomper "may" eat and what he may not (great relief for Spike) as there have been not speaking characters such as Tickles whom Littlefoot and the others would certainly not tolerate as part of Chomper's diet.
I suppose that (same as the producers of the movies) Littlefoot and the others probably give as little thought as possible to Chomper's diet.
As for Chomper's parents perceiving Chomper as a "shame" for befriending leafeaters I'm not really sure. They proved rather tolerant about this towards the end of LBT 5. Aware as they are that Chomper cannot possibly make a living on insects when he grows up they may be very worried (rather than ashamed) about him. LBT 5 clearly suggests that Chomper did eat larger prey (his excuse of longneck smell as a result of his burping after having had longneck for breakfast was accepted without question). I'm afraid some day Chomper would have to face very difficult decisions. Perhaps he might even be able to make a living on the corpses of dinosaurs who died of natural causes in the Great Valley. But however important scavengers are in a working ecosystem, it is questionable that Littlefoot and the others would bear this lightly, not to mention the rest of the Great Valley inhabitants.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Also that may be taken into consideration is a creature that they can not talk to but another that they can can as in the 9th movie when some insects appear and Mo is able talk to them, but the gang is unable to.  I wonder if the gang would consider them ok food for Chomper after the 9th movie happens.

Though it is true that as he gets older Chomper will have to make some hard choices and his friends may as well.

It would be easier on fastbiter characters, but not a t-rex like Chomper.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
One thing that bothers me is what does happen to the bodies of dinos that die in the great valley? Are there any scavengers there that eat them? I sort of doubt it, since they would probably be considered sharpteeth and the Great Valley is supposed to a sharpteeth free place.

But if the bodies were just left around to decompose then wouldn't that cause some sanitation problems? If Chomper were to eat them though, then wouldn't that reduce the risk?

Anyway, as for Chomper, he is one of my favorite characters. He is naive and all, but also a very interesting character. I think it would be interesting to write a fanfic that would deal with how he would cope with his growing appetite as he gets older.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
My guess is there are a few options.  One is if the person dies inside the great valley that they could be covered with rocks and maybe some dirt.  It would be hard to dig with no shovels or other tools but carrying rocks may be possible.  They may also be able to gather some loose dirt or mud from a mud pool or a riverbank or riverbed.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have one theory about the dinosaurs in the Great Valley which is based partly on an idea from a Dinotopia story. Perhaps dinosaurs who feel their end coming but are still able to walk (like some wild animals dinosaurs may have a keener sense of approaching death than civilization pampered humans do) may decide to leave the Great Valley to die in the Mysterious Beyond thereby not only sparing the Great Valley inhabitants with their corpse but also sort of "appease" hungry sharpteeth in the vicinity of the Great Valley. This theory might give an explanation why there are so many skelletons in the vicinity of the Great Valley in LBT 2 and 3. It wouldn't work out always though (Littlefoot's grandpa in LBT would not have been able to walk out anymore). I'm positive that there was a longer thread on the question of scavengers in the Great Valley somewhere in the general LBT section.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There may be that custom. Also, I think, in at least 1 cave maybe in the tv series, or a movie, there is a skeleton of maybe a swimmer in a cave near the Great Valley so if some do this, then maybe that one didn't quite make it.    I think the Eskimos use to have that custom.  That old folks, once they got to a certain age or health, I don't recall the details, that they would leave the community, though I don't recall the details since I read that a long time ago.

Rallag7

• Ruby
    • View Profile
It would be intresting to find out what exactly happens to dead dinosaurs.
I Remember seeing something about vultures in the great vally.

They could perhaps have a few caves where they leave the dead dinosaurs, but considiring the dead bodies have to get into the caves first which would be slightly depressing for the LBT universe,

Back to the topic.
Everyone loves Chomper! :oops  :confused

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rallag7,Dec 23 2008 on  11:13 PM
They could perhaps have a few caves where they leave the dead dinosaurs, but considiring the dead bodies have to get into the caves first which would be slightly depressing for the LBT universe,
If i remember correctly, it was revealed in one of the TV episodes that  old harbivore dinosaures in Great Valley moves to the "funeral caves" just after they lose their theeth.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It would seem that some do try to move into caves, and some just die where they are at that moment.  In lbt 4 I doubt Grandpa Longneck in his sick condition could have moved into a cave.  & being a resident he seemed to have no teleport power like Ali has.   Though maybe there is a little fairy that uses her magic wand to teleport corpses in the Great Valley into the nearest cave to keep things looking neater.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I like Chomper. He was actually one of my favorite characters when I was a kiddie, very high up there with Little Foot. I liked his little personality and the fact he was a carnivore that was friends with herbivores.

I still like this character, just not as much as I used to. I kind of "grew out" of this character so to speak.