The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Soundtrack analysis

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't really know how to explain this.  Basically, I'm gonna analyze several tracks from the videogame, Call of Duty: World at War.  Each of these songs reflects a situation in the game and I think the music team did a great job of enhancing the atmosphere of those situations with the background music.

First, let's look at the Hell's Gate
Hell's Gate track.  The song plays as the Soviet Red Army fights their way up the steps of the Reichstag during the fall of Berlin.  Hell's Gate reflects the brutality of the Russians and the desperation of German garrison defending the reichstag.  It is a depressing and dark theme and is very appriate for the situation.

Next let's take a look at the Red Army Theme.  This song, besides being an awesome track, is fitting for the Red Army because it gives the impression of a mighty and unstoppable force.  I like the rhythm and the way the song just seems to roll.  This version of the song plays in the mission, "Blood and Iron", where the player uses a Soviet T-34 tank to break through the German defences at Seelow Heights.  It is very fitting.

World at War is a very dark game that depicts the carnage , brutality, and suffering on the various fronts of WWII.  The Fountain theme plays at the begining of the mission, "Vendetta" where the main character sees the Germans shoot several wounded Russians in cold blood.  It s another dark and depressing theme which reflects the Nazis' complete disregard for human life.  (this scene is what inspires the Russian characters to show no mercy to surrendering Germans)  

The Ambushed Again theme plays several times during the American campaign.  It is first heard during the Battle of Peleliu where the 1st Marine Division storms the Japanese airfield.  Later, it plays during the Shuri Castle mission.  This song seems to not only reflect the dsperation of the Marines as they storm through heavy enemy resistance and seemingly endless banzai charges, but also the hostile environment in which they fight.

The Marine Theme plays throughout the Pacific missions.  The full song is only heard on the soundtrack but it seems to replect how at first the Marines on Peleliu endured attack after attack and took heavy losses, but eventually rose up and little by little, defeated the Japanese garrison and eventually took the island.

This last one is the Black Cats theme.  Notice how the rhythm sounds somewhat like a machine gun?  It seems to reflect that a lot of machine guns are used in the mission in which this song plays.  The player assumes the role of a gunner on a PBY catalina patrol plane and attacks a fleet of Japanese cargo ships.  You will also notice various sound effects, such as alarms, explosions, and the hum of an airplane's engine, being used in the background.  Until I listened to this song, I just though it was the game's sound effects.  

That;s it for now.  I will try to do more later.