The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Thoughts on LBT 2.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Thank you Gentle Sharptooth and Dr. Rex. I enjoyed reading your guys' thoughts. I especially like this part here:

I think if you removed the songs and some of the humor, and made Ozzy and Strut a little more evil, I think we'd be looking at a film more on par with the original but with enough original content to also help it stand out as its own film. I think that's what makes a really terrific sequel: a movie that not only continues the themes of the original, but also upends and deconstructs them in ways that give us a different perspective of the original.
I completely agree. :yes

Thank you  for reading. :)

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I think if you removed the songs and some of the humor, and made Ozzy and Strut a little more evil, I think we'd be looking at a film more on par with the original but with enough original content to also help it stand out as its own film. I think that's what makes a really terrific sequel: a movie that not only continues the themes of the original, but also upends and deconstructs them in ways that give us a different perspective of the original.
Thanks! Sequels should never just be about continuing the story as a cheap way to make more money.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Thanks! Sequels should never just be about continuing the story as a cheap way to make more money.

But sadly, in general most movies made today that have sequels are made for that exact reason you described above. They perhaps think that a successful first movie is an excuse to put forth less effort on the follow up, hoping that the critical acclaim and popularity from the first movie will bank off for the second one and beyond it. Easy cash and grabs. :rolleyes

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

But sadly, in general most movies made today that have sequels are made for that exact reason you described above. They perhaps think that a successful first movie is an excuse to put forth less effort on the follow up, hoping that the critical acclaim and popularity from the first movie will bank off for the second one and beyond it. Easy cash and grabs. :rolleyes
Yeah, it's quite sad, especially when the sequel turns out to be so terrible and the original is indirectly disgraced because it has to share the same timeline and continuity with that mishap of a follow-up.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile

Yeah, it's quite sad, especially when the sequel turns out to be so terrible and the original is indirectly disgraced because it has to share the same timeline and continuity with that mishap of a follow-up.

As for LBT, I’d say many of its sequels are not outright terrible, some even pretty good despite its more lightheartedness and musical nature. As for the infamous LBT 13...yeah. Although for me personally, I can’t judge just yet as I haven’t watched the movie. But I can already tell how ridiculous it is from the Yellowbellies alone. :oops

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

This is my issue with films today. In the past studios knew when a film should be standalone like “Gone With The Wind,” and trilogies like Star Wars. Now they take a standalone film and think up a sequel. Its frustating. Some movies like “Inception” work best as a one film story. In fact, Christopher Nolan holds to one film or trilogy, he writes either for standalone or trilogy.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
While I don't disagree with the above points, I'm more tolerant of sequels than a lot of people are. Occasionally sequels are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, but I've always been a fan of the serial format and watching story/character arcs unfold across multiple installments.
:)petrie

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
While I don't disagree with the above points, I'm more tolerant of sequels than a lot of people are. Occasionally sequels are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, but I've always been a fan of the serial format and watching story/character arcs unfold across multiple installments.

I got through a terrible stint of living somewhere that people were unfriendly and cold by watching TLBT sequels over and over. The Gang of Five and God got me through what I have named my Mordor years. So I totally agree its fun to have serials.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 03:46:23 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Speaking of Mordor, that's another fun series.
:^^spike

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

Indeed. One of the many reasons I love TLBT is we have fourteen films of character development and stories. :)

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Indeed. One of the many reasons I love TLBT is we have fourteen films of character development and stories. :)
Same here. Even terrible sequels have their moments, even if they're few and far between.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

Same here. Even terrible sequels have their moments, even if they're few and far between.

Exactly, at first I disliked VII, but it gave us Spike’s first word, Rainbowfaces, and Pterosaurs other than Petrie and his family.

Little Bro

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I love LBTII just because Chomper was born in this movie. (You guys could probably guessed that I love Chomper just by my profile pic.)

@Gentle Sharptooth what word did Spike say in LBTVII? His first word was "Ducky" in LBTIII.

Edit: I meant to say LBTIV.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:42:08 PM by Little Bro »
Go Chomper!

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I love LBTII just because Chomper was born in this movie. (You guys could probably guessed that I love Chomper just by my profile pic.)

@Gentle Sharptooth what word did Spike say in LBTVII? His first word was "Ducky" in LBTIII.

Do you prefer Chomper in LBTII, Chomoer in V or Chomper in the TV Series?

My mistake, I thought Spike said “Ducky!” In VII because she was kidnapped by Sierra.

Little Bro

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I have to Chomper from LBTII. He's just so cute when he makes those little noises. I think Chomper is funny in the LBT TV series, but he was a little overactive. If anyone disagrees with me, just see the opening of episode one, and you might think differently.  :lol
Go Chomper!

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Speaking of which, I should really finish reviewing the TV series sometime.
 :thinking

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I have to Chomper from LBTII. He's just so cute when he makes those little noises. I think Chomper is funny in the LBT TV series, but he was a little overactive. If anyone disagrees with me, just see the opening of episode one, and you might think differently.  :lol

Chomper is the cutest in LBTII. I love his disgusted sound when he accidently eats greens lol
My favorite Chomper is V, he was far more mature and relaxed than the TV Series Chomper. I like all forms of Chomper, but we all have our favorite time and temperment in hus life.  :chompysmile

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile

Exactly, at first I disliked VII, but it gave us Spike’s first word, Rainbowfaces, and Pterosaurs other than Petrie and his family.

When I first read that, I thought you were saying "rainbowfaces" was Spike's first word! :lol

Come to think of it, though, I guess VII gave us the closest we'll ever get to a complete sentence from Spike. "Err you hun-hun?" ("Are you hungry?")  :DD
Getting back on topic, I definitely have a soft spot for LBT II. :OhYou Chomper, Strut, and Ozzy all made this movie entertaining and endearing, one of the more charming sequels. There wasn't a song I disliked in it, either--in fact, most of them were among my favorites of the whole series.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
The Land Before II featuring Chomper IMHO made it possible for the LBT franchise to carry on. If LBTIII had been the second installment, the series might not have had the traction it did. Chomper was the Baby Yoda of LBT. :)