The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm pleased to announce that USB 3.0 devices and cards will start to become commercially available by late 2009 or early 2010.  Transfer speed will be 10x the speed of USB 2.0.  I can't wait.  I still remember how frustrating it was to use USB 1.1 when I had 2.0 on some of my machines and I'm expecting a similar reaction from myself.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like it will be very useful for certain uses, once more hardware comes out that is fully usb 3.0

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I really don't have much use for data transfer that fast, but then again it is pretty annoying how long it takes to put large files on usb flash drives.  Suppose I'd have to wait a couple years to try it out anyway, won't be buying a computer till then.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm very excited about this 'cuz I'm constantly transferring files and groups of files that are 20gb or more in size.  It's a real pain in the butt to have to wait 22 minutes to transfer a couple of anime episodes.  With USB 3.0 I could theoretically transfer those same files in a little over 2 minutes.

Just like with USB 1.1 to 2.0.  I remember having to transfer 700mb DVD rips.  It would take 20 frickin' minutes on USB 1.1 and only 3-4 minutes using USB 2.0

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I could see usb 3.0 being useful for external storage drives (thumb and harddrives) because speed is the main reason they rank under internal drives.  Outside of those, not much else would benefit from a speed increase.  I don't think your mouse is going to jump any faster across the screen. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It'll be useful to some people more then others, but will become the norm like usb 2.0 did.  Certain folks and companies also likely.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Soon everything will be wireless USB Petrie.  Then we'll see some drastic speed improvements with just about everything we do with computers.  USB has a big bright future and will continue to be a part of our lives for many years to come. :yes

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One may be able to wirelessly stream video from an external hdd and watch it on the computer and transfer large files around without having to plug in this and that to do it.  

I've tried and do not like wireless mice and keyboards.  Wireless mice with me have always just quit working at a random point.  Nothing works to get them working again once that happens.  & wireless keyboards are to brittle, with me just drop 1 and they quit working, even if they land on carpet or any surface that is soft.  & changing batteries, costly and an annoyance.

Though I do look forward to having some wireless usb transfers like mp3 player to pc, and some other things like that.  I may give external hdd's a try again at that point, maybe.