The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Does Ducky seem more bland and annoying in 6?

Guest · 6 · 1044

Bruton the Iguanodon

I read some reviews on Amazon for movie 6 and a few of them criticized how Ducky was portrayed. I watched it, and I watched 7, and by golly, there is a difference between Ducky of 6 and the other movies!

Watch 6 first. There were a lot of Ducky incidents that kinda disgust me.
One of her first lines in the movie is a teasing "Oooh, Auntie Cera!!" to Cera. She was sarcastic to Petrie when he said there's a river she could fall into. She translated what the idiot twerps said about going to Saurus Rock, getting Cera in trouble with her Dad, and then eneded the scene on a high note by happily babbling about bad luck---something the real Ducky would never do. Oh, and to make matters worse, she gave Spike an angry stare after "Bad Luck".  She was still cute, of course, but very emotionless a lot of the time and very bland.

Ad then in 7 she went back to her old style. The switch was so obvious. She seemed seriously worried about Petrie, comforted him, and was her innocent, sweet self again. So what's the deal with movie 6? Did the writers just feel Ducky needed to be changed up?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I must say I never had a problem with Ducky in LBT 6 though admittedly I never thought too much about it. I think what did strike me as odd was that her acrophobia is VERY unconstant in LBT 6. She is the first of the group who (with very little hesitation) decides to dare the jumping across the rocky pillars, but later on she is the one most scred to do the much less spectacular walking across the log.
I did notice she gave Spike that odd look at the end of the song bad luck, but I never thought much of it since it is not explored any further in the movie. Maybe she didn't like his "singing style"?
Her auntie Cera comment sounded like a good natured teasing to me that I don't see in total conflict with her character while her frustration about the not exactly reassuring reassurance of Petrie was also understandable. As for the auntie Cera comment, does it sound so out of character in the English version?
In the German version she says what would translate as an ironic "Oh, auntie Cera! Sounds cool!" But while it is clearly mocking it also comes across as harmless fun.
What I did find a bit odd was her "translating" of Dinah and Dana then to admit that what she had translated might be wrong but good advice all the same.
Her blabbing out about what Dinah and Dana said thereby getting into trouble was indeed the one thing that I found rather strange, the much the more as Ducky is never in any way criticized or feeling guilty about it, unlike Littlefoot who did not blab out as badly and as consciously (he hadn't seen Cera's Dad).
However, personally I don't think it is a bad thing if Ducky has a few characteristics other than being an always happy innocence. I don't see her acting in LBT 6 as a sign of her caring any less about any of the others than she did about Petrie in LBT 7. There was a very positive response from many people about her "greedy moment" in the TV episode search for the sky color stone.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Ducky didn't seem to be that much different in the 6th movie. She never came across to me as uncaring. Her staring at Spike angrily isn't proof that she has changed; if anything it helped to make her more 3 dimensional. If she was nothing but innocent and sweet all the time, with no expression of more negative emotions (like she did in the 8th movie), she would become a bland character indefinitely.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Yeah, I admit I've even wanted her to show more of her dark side.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Really?  I never even noticed a change in her :unsure:.

But yeah, if she was sweet and innocent all the time, that would become bland after awhile.  I see no reason why occasional changes in her nature are disgusting or even offensive.  Why does it seem she gets picked on for behavioral changes but not the others?  What about Littlefoot and his arrogance in the TV series?  Or Petrie's increasing immaturity?  Why aren't these guys taking any heat for their changes?  Is it really so much easier to pick on the nice guy of the group?  It seems to be either Ducky or Cera that get bashed for their personalities.  What separates them from the others who seem to have immunity?  I must've missed something :unsure: :confused.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I think we ought not to consider this any "bashing" of characters. Quite the contrary I am delighted at the increase of LBT related discussion these days. The actions of other characters have also been discussed in other threads, but really I think this is about exploring land before time and its characters further rather than bashing them. I suppose we can all agree that we like LBT and I daresay that there are very, very few who wouldn't like Ducky. Such discussions are about getting to know her (or others) better rather than bashing them.