The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Paranormal Activity

Jasper · 22 · 1817

Jasper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://thekingofdistruction.deviantart.com
There's a good chance I might see this today don't know when though. From what I heard it's good and is filmed through a video camera the same way the Blair Witch Project was filmed. It's dubbed as the scariest movie of all time.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This one has definitely caught my interest, considering I have a big interest in paranormal activity, haunted locations, etc.

DualXz

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Ok, I goota know more about this, since I love scary movies.

Jasper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: DualXz,Oct 18 2009 on  02:57 PM
Ok, I goota know more about this, since I love scary movies.
All I know is this film was made with only $11,000 dollars. Plus it's filmed the same way The Blair Witch Project was filmed through a video camera and also the same way Cloverfield was filmed.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
If it features the "shakey cam." doc. style of filmmaking, count me out. That idea was never that good to begin with and I hated Blair Witch and Cloverfiel with a deep loathing.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I can't watch bouncy things like that.  Motion sickness. :x

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I don't know about this...I like paranormal things but....I don't know, they seem to just blow the whole ghost thing out of proportion. :p What are the odds of a ghost trying to kill you and make your life a living heck? I mean really.... <_<

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
What are the odds of a being that lost its corporeal form which allowed it to impact the mortal realm to begin with even being able to kill you? I never got that about ghost stories.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Oct 19 2009 on  05:10 AM
If it features the "shakey cam." doc. style of filmmaking, count me out. That idea was never that good to begin with and I hated Blair Witch and Cloverfiel with a deep loathing.
I heard that shaky cam thing is a big thing in current movies.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Unfortunately. This just further proves my theory that humankind is general are just a bunch of morons. What is so great about unprofessional-style camera movements paired with "actors" hamming it up despite their own lack of ability to act in any style?
The shakey cam is a bane to movies, because for one thing, no camera crew on earth operates like they do in all the films where the style is used. I once saw a camera crew conduct an interview, like the ones they try ro do in the films.
Real Life: Just point the camera at the face of the bastard you're trying to interview and keep it still.
Shakey Cam Movies: Point the camera anywhere but the face of the person they're interviewing. Even leaving the lense facing the guy's crotch will do (as see done in Guarantine when they were talking with the hillbilly).

I'm an unprofessional as it comes when it comes using a camera for practical use. So my method of pointing a camera at a person being interviewed? Set the camera of a frikkin tri-pod and point it at the guy, who I have sit in a chair centered in the shot. And guess what, my camera works are better than anything seen in Blair Witch or Guarantine. The only film to have an excuse for that kind of camera movement was Cloverfield, and that was because the person filming wasn't a film student or professional TV show crew member. He was some guy shotting a video at the party  of one of his friends with a handy-cam.

People, stop going to films that use this camera style and stop buying them on DVDs. You'll be helping the film business by making a statement: "Film that use standard and professional camera work are better (and actual actors)." And they are.

• Spike
    • View Profile
i just saw this movie and am now inable to go to sleep or be still and not shake in fear, not a movie for the easily scared.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
^ Scary movies mess me up man. >.> I get so scared that I can't go to sleep or I think  I am seeing things. :p

• Spike
    • View Profile
it's not even just going to sleep. even if you can't, whitch i couldn't, every noise is made 10 times scarier. it's morning and i am still shaking. and i don't usually get freaked out by scary movies.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
The only movie I may end up getting that uses that kind of unprofessional-looking recording is Cloverfield, and even then I'm not sure.

However I don't think it's right to outright tell people not to buy these kinds of movies. If they want to get them, then let them. What right do any of us have to enforce our opinions on others? Just because someone likes something you don't doesn't make that person a moron.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I have the right to ask people not to get something that has been nothing but a blight on the film business since the day of its creation. I'm not enforcing my opinions on anyone, I'm asking that a bad idea be put to rest (and it IS a bad idea).
Also, the idea that an intelligent person would like these films (aside from being guilty pleasures, as in liked them as if they were genuinly good films) does not compute to me, and it never will. These films are horrible and since they're making money, Hollywood will make more like them, instead of spending time of more worthwhile things.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I just saw this movie and what I have to say is this:

It went from kind of creepy to really creepy to really really scary!

This movie is so amazing because everything in the movie is hard to explain. You see things happen in this movie that seem impossible, and yet they are happening right there.

On the subject of shaky camera filming, this movie actually didn't shake much at all. Whenever something happened, the camera is flat and steady which makes the environment that much scarier. Even when it does move, it doesn't jerk around uncontrollably.

I definitely recommend this movie to all horror movie fans. If you liked the Blair Witch Project, Cloverfield, etc... then you will enjoy this.

I give it a well deserved 9.5 out of 10

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
My dad mentioned that a woman he works with saw the movie. According to her, the only really scary part was at the very last minute or seconds of the movie and that people in the theatre were laughing because of how boring the movie was.

Jasper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
This is the gross revenue of the film: $88,829,870

Not bad for a $15,000 film.

Oh and yeah there is a sequel to this coming out.