The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Diddy's Non-LBT artwork

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
I think it's time I showcased some non-LBT stuff I've done, and I thought I'd start out with this to show off how good I've gotten with posing 3D models. :)petrie

This was made with a 3D model animation program called MikuMikuDance (MMD for short). I haven't been able to get my hands on a computer sufficient enough for SFM, so for my modelling artwork, MMD will suffice.

We begin this thread with Diddy Kong apparently trying to save a city from chaos, or going on a rampage, depending on your opinion. :DD
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
This is pretty awesome DiddyKF1! :^^spike
How long did it take for you to complete this?

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
This is pretty awesome DiddyKF1! :^^spike
How long did it take for you to complete this?

Thanks! :)petrie
This took me less than an hour! :smile

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile

This was made with a 3D model animation program called MikuMikuDance (MMD for short). I haven't been able to get my hands on a computer sufficient enough for SFM, so for my modelling artwork, MMD will suffice.
Seeing this makes me wish I actually managed to take up 3D modelling/rigging. I've dabbled into it very briefly, but gave up just as quickly as I tiptoed in.

If the amount of MMD models and animations I've seen on the net is any indicator 3D modelling is quite satisfying to do right.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Very nice Diddy! The other Diddy must be packing some serious firepower in those Peanut Popguns! (or whatever they're called, never really played much DK64 :p )

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Kart driving! What could be better!?

Track shown is a model of Tsukuba Circuit in Ibaraki, Japan.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Literally Diddy Kong Racing. :p

The BG is minimalist but I think it actually adds to the environment's style in this case by focusing on the model. The slight grit of the teeth in the second pic shows his determination to win.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Pretty nice again DiddyKF1. :)
Also, I have a question. When you said that it only took you less than an hour to do the first 3D model, was it from scratch? If so, was it really that easy to make something 3D like that in a short amount of time?

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
The models are loaded in T-pose, but it can be quite tricky getting it done in such a short space of time.  I tend to have the hardest time with his fingers.  Each individual finger has to be moved, and there are three points for each finger (four for the thumbs).

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Very nice job, Diddy. 3D modelling is something that I've never had much interest in, but it is delightful to see that someone else does and I can see you may one day go far in life with this occupation. I have certainly heard that this kind of work is not the easiest person can find, and while it is challenging, occasionally, that is a very valid learning process. Small steps, big dreams. :) I have to ask, would you be inclined to perhaps one day pursue a career in this line of work or is this something you only do for your own entertainment?

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I mostly do it for entertainment. Having a career in this would sound cool, but while I'm good at making poses, I'm still somewhat amateur at actual animations.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I mostly do it for entertainment. Having a career in this would sound cool, but while I'm good at making poses, I'm still somewhat amateur at actual animations.

Baby steps, that's how great things are made. There is always room for improvement if one so wishes. I admit, it would be cool to see you one day in a career like this, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. :D

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What career are you aiming for at the moment, DiddyKF1? If 3D modeling is something you really enjoy a lot, perhaps taking Anagnos’ advice wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What career are you aiming for at the moment, DiddyKF1? If 3D modeling is something you really enjoy a lot, perhaps taking Anagnos’ advice wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

The thing is that Diddy is currently rigging pre-made and imported 3D models, which means he's doing more 3D animating work rather than 3D modelling, which would involves creating the models from scratch, texturing it, creating the character rig, etc. I know two friends who actually do 3D modelling as hobbies, one with Blender and the other with 3DS Max, here's definitely a very high skillset and learning curve involved with modelling.

Of course, one can take the time to learn, but it's very time consuming. There's a reason why Blender can be used in actual commercial 3D films and CGI. :opetrie

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^There are many things that are time consuming, like writing, for example. And even if Diddy's work is not exactly 3D modelling, is it so far from the truth? But yes, one can take time to learn stuff, even if it is time consuming. Because if you do what you love, isn't that the whole point of doing it in the first place? :)

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Cool stuff! Though I'm a little upset Yoshi is so far behind  :PCera

I'm curious as to what Diddy is doing with his right arm. Looks as if he's trying to change gears.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

I'm curious as to what Diddy is doing with his right arm. Looks as if he's trying to change gears.

Yoshi always catches up. ;)

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Sorry about Yoshi. I guess he just got a slow start. :bestsharptooth

It does seem to look like Diddy's shifting gears even though these karts don't have transmissions. Probably just playing around with his hand because the straight is long enough and he's pretty confident in his driving abilities. :)petrie