The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Any one intrested in a little colabaration project

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well heres what i was thinking as we all know getting a screen capture of a front on full face shot of a char in any film animated or live action is next to imposible. Normally in a project of this type id just go buy the most accurate toy i could fine preferably plastic action figure like. Then id just take mesurements etc. But sense no toys exist yet well that option is out. I can not draw at all. Any how what id need is a few views (sketches includeing the various circles etc that many people use when makeing such a char intact) Im starting with the head and face. so full frontal veiw flat and lever top down view back view left or right side view strait up under chin view would be a bonus but not needed.

Any of you intrested just reply here got this topic on watched list. Ill also be posting progress renders as i create him as im sure somehere will be intrested in how it all starts with a 3d model. So youll get to see all my mistakes in their full glory as i play with diffrent ideas :)

As chomper will be my first adventure in to 3d organic models it will be a learning experiance for me. Should be alot of fun.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I didn't really look at the date on this, but just thought I'd chime in and say I've read it over, and I have no computer art skills so I won't be participating, but at least you don't have to wait around for a response....

Sometimes silence isn't golden.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Apr 2 2007 on  09:37 PM
I didn't really look at the date on this, but just thought I'd chime in and say I've read it over, and I have no computer art skills so I won't be participating, but at least you don't have to wait around for a response....

Sometimes silence isn't golden.
Well what i need dont need to be computer art. It can be screen captures hand drawn (like my avatar) etc. Sketches are better esp with the various circles etc left in place as i can look and go oh i see what i need for the eyes snout cheaks etc.

I have a hard time looking at a single angle and intrprating the rest of the face object etc. So various angles aka concept art sketches are like gold to me. Esp when said sketches are drawn to the same scale.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
So all you need is screenshots? I could provide many screenshots for you.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Apr 2 2007 on  10:15 PM
So all you need is screenshots? I could provide many screenshots for you.
yep with screenies i need lots more angles to work fro but they work in a pinch. Best is always sketches or a toy/model. If it proves to difficult with screenies alone working directly in max i can always create a clay mock up lay agrid out on it and do it that way. Basically these are the basic angles needed.

Head on face shot the more level the haed the better side view right or left dont matter much top down and a good perspective shot. closer to 3/4 above and to one side (45 deg angle) above and front and from one side front.

Bonus is top back side back 45s.

I pretty much got a rear side 45 with my current avatar. As well as good 3/4 face

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay I'll try to fetch the right screenshots. I usually take a lot, though, so the right ones will probably be somewhere in the bunch. ^^;

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Yeah Kacie has all the films I think so she'd be the one for those.  I've got 1, 4, and 9...so no Chomper.

Good luck.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Apr 3 2007 on  08:10 AM
Yeah Kacie has all the films I think so she'd be the one for those.  I've got 1, 4, and 9...so no Chomper.

Good luck.
Ive got em all to but my cid card blows chunks when it comes to tryign to do a screen cap of a dvd. Im only missign 11 and 12 on dvd. Got a avi i ripped from a friends dvdd of 11 but the quality is on the low side so it dont work well in full screen and again my vid card is not good for movies.

I got heaps of screen shots of number 1 but i just had to find a section and hit the hot key for atis file player a bunch of times then like always comp goes boom :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Forgot to ask you, what age do you need Chomper to be? A hatchling or how old he is in Land Before Time 5 and the TV series? When he can talk?

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Apr 3 2007 on  11:34 AM
Forgot to ask you, what age do you need Chomper to be? A hatchling or how old he is in Land Before Time 5 and the TV series? When he can talk?
5/series age as thats where im gona base all my models from. Depending on how they turn out i might even give animating them a shot heh.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
this is likely to end up scrapped once i get the screenies DarkHououmon is workign on getting but do to the extreamly complex nature of cera i decided to put her on the back burner for now and pratice a bit with chomper based on the old wind up toy from lbt  2
http://i19.ebayimg.com/06/i/08/89/d8/78_1_b.JPG this is what i got so far
http://lbft.spellbound-guild.com/lbft/main..._serialNumber=1

Basically it is pratice but as you can see the eyes bit and cheek bit is pretty much the same. Redoing the jaw and i could prob come fairly close to recreating the toy in 3d max. The eye part is nothing more than a cylander that has been scaled and had many verts moved around. The cheeks/skin at the jaw joint started out as sphere that i then pinched in and scale in various ways. At this point its me trying to figure out what base objects to use and of corse i may use lofting etc as well. The finale version of chomper will need textured and i suck at that so i might try to get one of the many awesome 2d artists here to help with that. Its not as hard as you may thing. Basically ill create a uvw map apply to chomper and render it with color blocks so you can see where each area of the map ends up on the model and a blank one that you can then color in with your fave program :)

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
heh well heres a sneak peek need to do some more to the are between the eyes its to sharp a point need to all but make it blend in with the forhead

like i said a sneak peek :)

Idshow more but heh he has no nose and well its just a little creapy looking heh

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
now hes got a nose heh

Still got to smooth out where his eyes are.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
heh guess imkind of moving along quick on him lol

I took the base snout object and base cheak nd split them in half to make new objects and changed the color and gave him a bit of a smile.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
lol im scared some stats on the model so far
Summary Info for chomp2.max (at Frame 0)

Objects:
           Cast   Receive   Motion      
  Name (Type)   Verts   Faces   Shadows   Shadows   Blur   Hidden   Frozen   Material (Type)
  ------------------------   ------------   ------------   ------------   ------------   ------------   ------------   ------------   ------------------------
  Cylinder01 (Editable Mesh   169   312   Yes   Yes   No   No   No   Material #6 (Standard)
  Sphere02 (Editable Mesh)   240   416   Yes   Yes   No   No   No   Material #6 (Standard)
  Sphere01 (Editable Mesh)   482   960   Yes   Yes   No   No   No   Material #18 (Standard)
  Sphere03 (Editable Mesh)   482   960   Yes   Yes   No   No   No   Material #15 (Standard)
  Sphere06 (Editable Mesh)   114   224   Yes   Yes   No   No   No   default (Std)
  Cylinder02 (Editable Mesh   169   312   Yes   Yes   No   No   No   Material #6 (Standard)
  Sphere04 (Editable Mesh)   482   960   Yes   Yes   No   No   No   Material #15 (Standard)
  Sphere08 (Editable Mesh)   482   960   Yes   Yes   No   No   No   Material #18 (Standard)
  Box02 (Editable Mesh)   134   216   Yes   Yes   No   No   No   Material #6 (Standard)
  Box01 (Editable Mesh)   134   216   Yes   Yes   No   No   No   Material #24 (Standard)
  Object02 (Editable Mesh)   308   544   Yes   Yes   No   No   No   Material #24 (Standard)

Mesh Totals:

Verts: 3196
  Faces: 6080

I got another ver i applied a mesh smooth to and the totals are 35000+verts and well over 60k faces I etimate when the head is finished it will hit 70k faces and the entire model will prob break the 1 million faces mark.

Once im happpy with the head ill start on the body. Things i need to do yet add teeth inside the mouth so if i give him any open mouth pose they will be there same deal for any animations i may atempt. I need to change the shape of his eye socket and eyes add a pupil object to the eyes and add nostrils to the nose.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
probably finale update for tonight

As you can see ive chaned the eyes a fair bit and redid the jaw colors as well as went to the more gray purple of the series vs the blue purple of the films. Thanks to action for takinga screen capture of the lonely journey.

Things to do add proper nostrils create a plane to add to the inside of the mouse tounge palet and teeth of corse andd thats another oh i dont know 10 or 12 hours work just on his head heh.

Hours yesterday about 3 to 4 then another 3 this morning and another 4 in the after noon total time for head 10 to 11 hours.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Threehorn,Apr 8 2007 on  05:49 PM
wow that amazing!
Ty still got alot more to do before i put the head aside (even then it wont be finished will still be mesh smoothing and general clean up left.)The cheeks for lack of a beter term will be totally redone thats what ill be doing tomorow also the main portion of his skull is a 32 segment sphere ill be changing that to a 64 segment one that will allow for me to blend it in with the rest a good bit better.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well this was a darn plesent suprise. This morning i woke up with a idea or 2 for chompers body so figured may as well try one or 2 of them well first one i tried ended up um well you tell me :)

Some times 3d art just works this way you think something will be insanely hard to the point of getting annoyed and flat out angry at it and it ends up being flat out easy other times you thing somethign will be oh thats simple and turns out to be crazy hard. In this case it was flat out simple. I started with a simple 64 segment sphere scaled ununiformly on y to make it egg shaped then i moved the part that was to become his tail strait down. Rotated this section them moved on x y to aling it. After that i just needed to rotate some verts in the tail to round out the curve a bit. Flattened it out a bit front to back etc. Then i detached a section by selecting verts (thats why theres a zigzag i didnt aling the verts (it was just a test i can reattach and smooth that all out a good bit) colored the 2 sections in chompers coloration patern and got to this point. At this point the body is basically done just needs tweaked this way and that. will re do the cheek/lip area at the back of the jaw in a short bit here.

If you got a account on my gallery site you can see the full progresion of chomper (all posted here as well) in a ordered manner. link is in my sig here you need not use any real information just a username and pass word. Email addy is not needed. Once there with a account click on my personal gallery.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Simply amazing what you can do with a computer these days. :)  I'm surprised you got all that done in so little time.