The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What is your favrorite western and why

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
mine would have for a few dollars more because of the storyline

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Mine:

1. Any Clint Eastwood western (because they showed how the wild west actually was, and still were pretty darn great)
2. Tombstone (Val Kilmer's Doc Hollyday is almost too good for the screen)
3. Silverado (it stared Kevin Kline, had a great plot, and a great supporting cast. enough said)
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Maverick.  It just had its share of funny moments. :lol

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
The best ones I like are "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", and "Tombstone".  There was a John Wayne movie that was also a favorite, but I can't find the title to it.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For all you Western fans, check out the Calgary Stampede! It's an annual event in my hometown, July 7th to 16th.  Home to the largest rodeo championship in the world, and a huge assortment of attractions, from free concerts, to rides, to rodeo, chuckwagon races, stageshows, fireworks, you name it!  The city just comes Alive with Western atmosphere, and one of my friends plays in the Stampede Band.  I'll be down at the show sometime during the event, and I'll post up some pictures. B)
Until then, here are some official pictures:
http://www.cleanpix.com/cleanpix/PublicVie...3e213232b9ba115

If you really want, come on down and we'll hang out for the day! :wow LOL

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't know many real westerns (more movies made after book with a western stage, but with many different elements or historical movies playing in the same time), so it may be for lack of alternatives I'm aware of that I pick "Once upon a time in the west" which in Germany is titled "Spiel mir das Lied vom Tot" (Play the song of death for me).

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
No desire for westerns.  Unless they're in a Science Fiction setting, like "Back to the Future 3".

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Don't really know any westerns myself...I don't know if its a western, but I'd like to watch Costner's 'Dances With Wolves' someday.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
My favorite western is called "Big Jake," and it stars my favorite actor who does western films, John Wayne. The movie is about Jacob McCandles, his two sons, James and Michael, his indian friend, and his dog "Dog." The plot is basically that Jabob's grandson, also named Jacob which is why John Wayne is "Big Jake," is kidnapped for ransom, a million dollars, which is quite a bit for old western times. I don't like spoiling things too much so let's just say that Jacob's old wife had a million dollars to give, but for various reasons she and Jacoc agreed on, the group delivered a chest filled with- something else. I won't say who, but out of the gang- Big Jake, his two sons, his friend, and his dog- two of them die trying to save "Little" Jake. But this film is full of great parts. Jake tries to cause trouble in a bar by hitting a man over the head with a pool stick, but it merely breaks over the guy's head and he takes down Jake easily. Then we have James called his father "Daddy" just to get under his skin, and that leads to some trouble, usually the funny kind though. Then Jake is taking a shower- which doesn't show anytihng- and a man comes in about to kill him, then you see the man lift his gun and the shower stall Jake is in gets blown off and you think Jake gets shot, but the movie cleverly makes you assume the opposite of what really happened. Jake had a gun he brought into the shower with him, and when the bad man lifted his gun, it was Jake that blew off the door by shooting the other man from the inside of the stall! But then we have my favorite character: Dog. He is amazingly intelligent. Jake doesn't have to tell him anything other than say his name, and Dog does exactly what he should do. Jake doesn't like a man and simply says, "Dog," and Dog attacks the man but doesn't kill him. Later when Jake wants someone dead and says, "Dog" he picks up on the situation and really tries to kill him. Plus, I love how a character in the end uses my all time favorite gun: a derringer. The smalled the gun, the more I like it, and that goes for the adjective "old" as well in referrence to guns I like. And I don't know of an old gun smaller than a derringer. This movie has so much suspense mixed with clever scenes and the right amount of humor. No western I have seen as of now can compare to it for me, and I watched this film many years ago and still watch westerns to this day, if that tells you anything. Later!

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Do parodies count? If they do, then Blazing Saddles is my favorite western.

• Spike
    • View Profile
my favorite westerns are probably Outlaw Jose Wales and 3:10 to yuma

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Anothr one: Young Guns. I'm also partial to that one on top of any CLint Eastwood film or Tombstone.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Walker Taxes Ranger.  It gets exciting when the bad guys you got to hate gets beat up.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
and don't forget Wild Wild West acted out by Will Smith.

Chomper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
mine is any john wayne movie, tombstone, and blazzing saddles

Compy-Rex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chomper,Apr 18 2009 on  12:31 PM
mine is any john wayne movie, tombstone, and blazzing saddles
Chomper, by any chance, were you known as Rexy on another forum?

My favorite is easily The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Chomper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
right you are compy, i forgot to also mention 3:10 to yuma

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
One Western movie which I should mention is the relatively recent "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford". It is in many ways a western that is not typical for the genre and it may be a bit tricky to figure out as it is very far from the traditional good vs. evil clichÈ.
The movie is relatively closely based on historical fact, but unlike many earlier movies dealing with Jesse James it does not glorify him to the almost sickening degree which some earlier movies and songs have done which turned the murderer into an American Robin Hood.
I must admit that one of the motivations for me to watch the movie was the fact that I had to write two essays during my university studies which dealt with the comparisons between Robin Hood and Jesse James.
In any case the movie tells the story mostly from the point of view of Robert Ford who shot Jesse James in a rather unglorious manner (Jesse James was standing on a chair unarmed dusting a picture when Ford Shot him in the back of his head) but also explores the motives of Ford (who had been an outright admirer of Jesse James) without turning him into a "substitute hero" for Jesse James who is not presented as a hero either.
Basically this is a western without any real hero (in spite of Brat Pitt's playing Jesse James ;)) and with a rather melancholic overall atmosphere. Personally I found it refreshingly different, but it is not "light fare" so to speak and may be tricky to understand without some previous knowledge of the characters involved.