The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Let Your Heart Guide You

Fyn16 · 37 · 5223

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
So, this is my "mega project," for 2012-2013. It's going to document the friendship that formed between Littlefoot and Fyn in their preteen years under immense challenges and hardship. I purposefully held off writing any farther than the prologue until BCT's conclusion, so I could get a feel for what seemingly impossible challenges are really like. Hopefully, I can draw on my experiences from this summer to create a realistic story. This one's going to be long, too. Expect about 5000-8000 words per chapter, and several chapters long. This will be more of a "book-length" story. Anyway, I present for your reading pleasure, "Let Your Heart Guide You." Feel free to comment between chapters if you so wish, and please remember that this is a Littlefoot/Fyn story. Other characters may not get as much representation as they are considered secondary in this story.

Summary: A story of how Littlefoot and Fyn's unshakeable friendship was set in stone. Following his twelfth Star Day, Fyn must undergo a challenge greater than anything he's ever faced, but when an unforeseen catastrophe ravages the Great Valley, a dinosaur very close to him is gravely wounded. Running out of time to get a herd of dinosaurs out of the Great Valley, Fyn, the herd's newly appointed deputy, is forced to make a decision and accept a responsibility that will impact both himself and Littlefoot tremendously and change their lives forever.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Let Your Heart Guide You

Space. The pitch-blackness, the silence, the harsh cold, the unforgiving deadness. An environment unfriendly to anything living, to be sure. This is where our story begins. One could argue that the forging of the true, deep, undying friendship of Littlefoot and Fyn began here, in this most inhospitable of environments, with the start of a single event- an event which triggered the greatest catastrophe, and possibly the most trying times the Great Valley ever knew. It started out small, almost insignificant, but gradually grew, as all things do, into the problem that would soon face the Great Valley.

The sequence of events started with a collision: two chunks of space-rock colliding on their paths through the galaxy smashed together silently, but with a magnificent visual display nonetheless- if anyone had been around to see it. When the rock behemoths crashed together, chunks of rock spewed out in all directions with fantastic speed, unhindered by any force, but guided by their own inertia. It was one such fragment- one the size of a small mountain- which, because of this collision, sped off on a new course.

This chunk of rock flew on through space, diverting slightly when it hit other debris, but mostly staying true to its original course. It was inanimate, cold, unfeeling, unable to realize the potential destruction it could bring, or the three lives it would directly impact. Its time had not come yet, but very soon, this seemingly insignificant speck in the cosmos would set in motion a massive chain of events on a small planet only a few million years old, in one location in particular.

The planet was our own; its inhabitants at the time were dinosaurs.

And the location was a place- a paradise- known as the Great Valley.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Okay, actually, I've decided to break the chapters into more manageable parts. My other fanfics got pretty lengthy, and I enjoy posting frequently. I hate making people wait. This is my last interruption until the story's end. Read on and enjoy!

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Part I: When the Stars Fall

Chapter 1: Star Day

As it did every day, the Bright Circle rose once again over the Great Valley, its rays of light catching the fast-disappearing dew on the grass. Slowly, it climbed, brightening as it seemed to scale the Great Wall itself, the wall of mountains that encircled and protected the Valley. As it moved along its ever-unchanging path, the Bright Circle ushered in the new day, and brought with it the sounds of awakening. A morning in the Great Valley was truly a spectacle for the eyes and ears. One could hear creatures of every kind stirring and calling to one another as they prepared to go about another peaceful day, and when they began to gather and spread throughout the Valley, one could truly appreciate the sight: so many diverse creatures all living together- eating together, drinking together, playing together- the sight was awe-inspiring, and did nothing if not stir the soul.

Joining the dinosaurs rising from slumber was Fyn, a Fin-Neck approaching his twelfth season. From his waking moment, Fyn was filled with anticipation. Today was to be his Star Day- a celebration which took place on the exact day of his birth each season. His father had hinted that something unique was in store for him during this particular Star Day, and Fyn could barely contain his excitement at finding out what it was.

As he rose up from his nest (which was definitely getting too small, he’d decided) Fyn greeted the new day with a sigh of complete happiness. Soon, so soon, he’d know exactly what his father would have in store for him. He shook and stretched, basking in the warm morning sun.

“Won’t be able to enjoy that for much longer,” he reminded himself, “the Cold Time’s coming soon.”

Deciding to let the rest of his family slumber on, Fyn decided to consider his options. His friends would be up soon, he knew. Littlefoot had a habit of going down to the lake early in the morning, and was probably there now. Or, for a change, he could visit Chomper and Ruby in their cave. As he tried to make up his mind, Fyn felt his stomach rumbling.

“On second thought,” he said aloud, talking to himself as he tended to do when he was excited about something, “maybe my decision can wait until after breakfast.”

Fyn lumbered off towards a stand of Treestar trees. Pausing at the base of one, he stretched upwards and snapped off a few of the succulent leaves, chewing them and savoring their sweet juices. There was truly no better way to wake up. As he chewed, his mind began to wander again, thinking of what else could possibly make this day better; it had already gotten off to a pretty good start, and as his mind wandered, he began to lose his awareness of his surroundings.

Which set him up perfectly for what was about to happen next.

The Threehorn stealthily peeked out of the bushes she was hiding behind. From where she was standing, Fyn looked completely oblivious. Perfect. She turned her head and motioned for someone behind her to come forward. Sure enough, a Swimmer took her place by the Threehorn’s side, also hidden. The Threehorn nodded, acknowledging her presence, then made a quick glance out of her hiding place and across to the trees where Fyn was standing. In hindsight, this really had been the perfect trap, and Fyn had fallen right into it. She peered into the trees next to Fyn. Soon.

High above, a Flyer was also circling, watching Fyn closely. This was his only task, and from his vantage point, he was good at it. When he felt Fyn was comfortably in place, he waved to the trees surrounding the Fin-Neck and nodded. Time to put the plan into action.

In the trees flanking Fyn, a Sharptooth, a Spiketail, and a Fastrunner all saw Petrie’s signal. Everything was clear. The Sharptooth tensed his muscles, ready to move. The entire plan rested on the only dinosaur left.

In the trees in front of Fyn, the Longneck remained frozen, scarcely daring to breathe. Surprise would be paramount here, and any movement might give away his position. He silently praised the trees’ thickness, as they covered him to the point that he could hold his face about a Fastrunner’s length away from Fyn’s without being seen. Looking over at the bushes, he saw the Threehorn nod. It was now or never. It was time to act.

Fyn, still waking up and oblivious as he was, had absolutely no idea what had hit him. The “attack” came from all sides with precision that would have shamed a Fast Biter pack. The Longneck burst out of the trees in front of Fyn first, catching him completely off guard and pushing him back toward the second surprise: the Threehorn and Swimmer who were standing behind him, while the Flyer swooped down from the side, and the Fastrunner, Sharptooth, and Spiketail all bounded in from the sides. At the same time, every dinosaur let out a hearty “happy Star Day, Fyn!” The attackers, of course, were his friends- Littlefoot the Longneck, Cera the Threehorn, Petrie the Flyer, Ducky the Swimmer, Spike the Spiketail, Chomper the Sharptooth, and lastly, Ruby the Fastrunner.  

Fyn shook his head in surprise. He certainly hadn’t expected this.

“Guys?” he asked, “what’s-?”

He stopped mid-sentence and smiled brightly. “Thanks, everyone. I wasn’t expecting such a nice greeting.”

“Well, it’s your twelfth Star Day,” said Littlefoot, “That’s a pretty important one.”

“It is,” said Ducky, “Remember Ruby’s twelfth Star Day last season?” The others nodded and smiled.

“That was something,” Cera said, “I can still remember walking the Great Wall. That was a fun day.”

“What do you think you’ll get to do, Fyn?” Ruby asked.

Fyn thought hard, squinting as he tried to concentrate, trying to recall if either of his parents had dropped any hints; they hadn’t.

“I really don’t know,” he said, “just that it’s going to be unlike anything I’ve ever done before.”

“That sound neat,” Petrie said, settling on a stump. “Maybe it a journey to some neat place.”

“Or perhaps you’ll get to meet someone important,” Ducky chimed in.

“Maybe your parents will just do a lot of really nice things for you,” Chomper added helpfully.

“If it was my twelfth Star Day,” Cera said in her usual superior tone, “I’d want to climb Threehorn peak.”

“Why?” Littlefoot asked.

“Why?” Cera asked, seemingly offended, “Why not? It’s a huge mountain that looks like a Threehorn! It’s perfect for me!”

“Good point,” Fyn said. Cera glared.

“I mean not in a bad way!” Fyn quickly added, attempting to save his hide.

“Everyone knows Threehorns are the strongest there are,” Cera continued. “I could do it.”

“I’m sure you could,” Ducky said, ending the conversation before it got out of hand. Fyn finished his morning meal and stared out into the Valley surrounding him.

“Honestly, I have no idea what’s going to happen later, but if it’s a surprise, then it’s a surprise. Let’s do something else so I can take my mind off of it. Anyone want to play a game?”

The suggestion was met with enthusiasm. “How about hide and seek?” Ruby offered.

“Sounds good to me,” Littlefoot said, “everyone else?”

Nods and murmurs of consent confirmed it. The game was about to begin.

“Alright, then,” Cera said, “since it’s Fyn’s Star Day, he’s ëit’.”

Before Fyn could open his mouth to speak, his friends were already gone, with Chomper calling “the lake’s the boundary. No farther than the lake!”
“Alright, then,” Fyn said, watching his friends quickly disappear. He turned his back, put his head to a tree trunk, closed his eyes, and started counting.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Not far away, Labon and Keva, Fyn’s parents, watched their son and his friends playing. Keva was smiling warmly, touched by the sight of the friends together. Labon, on the other hand, was observing the festivities with a grim, expressionless face. It wasn’t long before Keva noticed him.

“Labon,” she said, “is something on your mind?”

Labon didn’t answer, still closely watching his son.

“Labon,” Keva repeated, “what’s the matter?”

“Starfall,” Labon said evenly, without any trace of emotion. Keva’s eyes widened.

“My goodness,” she said, “I almost forgot about that. This is his twelfth Star Day, and he’s still in line as the next herd leader. That means his Starfall is coming.”

Labon nodded. “Soon. The day after his Star Day, in fact. Tomorrow.”

“Is he ready?” Keva asked, somewhat anxiously.

“Oh, I know he’s ready,” Labon said, “but it’s going to be hard... for both of us.”

Keva sighed, “I know Starfall is steeped in seasons of tradition, but this is the first time it’s been done father to son. Couldn’t it just be made a little-?”

“No, absolutely not,” Labon cut her off before she could finish her question. “Starfall never changes. I will abide by my duties, no matter who else is involved.” When he finished his statement, he looked up at Fyn, then back at the Great Wall- more specifically, at one of its highest mountain peaks. He regarded the peak cooly, narrowing his eyes to block out whatever sun he could to better see it. With Fyn’s consent, Starfall would happen, and when it did, he would truly find out if everything he’d said to Keva was true.

He turned back to the sight of his son and his friends, laughing and frollicking through the fertile, green fields.
“It’s best to let him just enjoy this special day first,” he decided, and he and Keva turned to walk back to the nest. Labon didn’t look back. He knew that any unnecessary attachment to his son at this point would only weaken his resolve and possibly jeapordize Starfall. For the rest of the day, he would have to challenge himself to remain neutral. His son’s future depended on it.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

It was now the last round of hide and seek, and once again, Fyn had found himself “it.” Littlefoot was currently hiding amidst a tangle of weeds, and was crouching low to avoid detection. So far, his plan had worked. Before long, Petrie had joined him as well. It seemed this was the perfect cover. Now they were huddled together, scarcely daring to blink as Fyn walked past, searching for them. Littlefoot was pleased with how stealthy he and his Flyer friend were being. So far, they’d drawn absolutely no attention to themselves. However, it seemed Fyn was hanging around the weeds often, and his presence was already unnerving Littlefoot.

“Come on,” he whispered ever so slightly through clenched teeth, “go somewhere else!”

As if he’d heard, Fyn finally turned and began to walk away. Littlefoot breathed a sigh of relief.

Then Petrie coughed.

Immediately, Fyn’s head snapped back around and he began to move back towards the weeds. Littlefoot glared at Petrie who simply grinned back nervously.

“Alright,” Fyn said, “I know someone’s in here.”

Nobody moved, but Petrie could feel another cough coming on. Littlefoot stifled it with a glance.

“Where are you guys?” Fyn mused, scanning the area. Unfortunately for the intrepid hiders, Petrie could not contain himself any longer. This time, he let out a tremendous sneeze, which was powerful enough to blast him straight out of his hiding place. Once Fyn saw him, he immediately knew Littlefoot’s location as well.

“Ah ha!” he said, “I’ve got you.”

Littlefoot stood, shaking the plants from his back and legs.

“Yes, you did. No thanks to Petrie here.”

He glared at Petrie in mock disappointment. Petrie laughed.

“I guess me just better at the ëseek’ part, even if me not seeking.”

His comment prompted laughter from Fyn, which brought everyone else out of hiding; the game was officially over.

“So what now?” Cera asked, glancing at the Bright Circle, which was at its highest point.

“Well,” Fyn said, recalling what his parents had told him the previous day, “my Star Day celebration won’t be until much later, so we’ve still got a bit of time left. What do you guys want to do?”
    No decisions were forthcoming; no one could concentrate. The day was growing warmer, and the heat was affecting everyone. It was that certain moment where no one really wants to do anything- where one becomes lazy and bored. No one spoke for a while, until Ducky voiced her opinion.
    “Why don’t we go to the Tree Sweet pond?” Ducky asked.
    Cera shrugged. “I’m fine with it. Anyone say otherwise?” No one challenged her.

“Then let’s go!” Ducky said, eagerly. “What are we waiting for?”

Slowly, the gang forced themselves to move, following Ducky, who was positively skipping with excitement. The Tree Sweet pond was her favorite place in the Great Valley, and, in all honesty, possibly everyone else’s as well. As they walked on, their excitement began to increase again. The unseasonably hot weather had almost robbed them of the realization that today was supposed to be fun- a day of celebration, and now they were going to what was quite possibly the most fun place in the Valley. Ducky continued to lead, bringing the gang down through a few very tightly-grouped trees  near the Smoking Mountain and over a few treacherously unstable rock paths. The way the Great Valley was arranged, with mountains and rocky walls enclosing everything within, it seemed a wonder that small, hidden places like the Tree Sweet pond could exist practically undiscovered, but one had merely to look at the path leading to it to discover why. When the gang had first discovered the place, they’d had a very difficult time getting to it. The path had been hidden and dangerous. Time had not been good to it, and now, despite the fact that all of the gang was older and much more coordinated, the path was even more risky. The prize at the end was worth the risk, however. As Ducky practically leaped through the last stand of trees between them and the pond, the area was revealed in all of its beautiful splendor.

Littlefoot was slack-jawed as always. It was hard not to be, despite having been here several times before. The Tree Sweet pond was a small alcove carved out of windswept rock in a corner of the Great Valley. Water flowed into the pond from a small waterfall, which poured directly out of the rock face and flowed down into the Valley as a small stream. Everywhere, one could see Tree Sweets of all sorts, hence the pond’s name. Coming here was a truly uplifting experience, and for a while, the gang just stared in silence. Then Ruby broke the spell.

“Well, come on! Let’s have some fun!”

Littlefoot, Spike, and Petrie immediately headed over to the Tree Sweets. Cera, Chomper, and Ducky headed for the pond to cool down. Ruby seemed interested in getting a closer look at a few of the Tree Sweets, eating a few but mostly observing with a keen interest. Fyn decided to sun himself on a large, flat rock near the pond. Once everyone had settled in, Ruby decided to speak, looking up from her specimens.

“Well, since we never really finished our talk about Star Days earlier, why don’t we finish it now?”

“What do you mean?” Littlefoot asked.

“Well, what do all of you do for your twelfth Star Day?”

Cera, after thinking hard, was the first to answer. “Well, like I said, Threehorns do something fun and challenging, like climb Threehorn Peak.”

“Oh yes, and Swimmers get to eat a special meal,” Ducky added. “I don’t know what Spike does, but I think it also has to do with eating.”

Spike mumbled and nodded, smiling, causing everyone to laugh.

“What about you, Chomper?” Fyn asked.

“Well, most Sharpteeth have their first hunt. They have to do it alone. It’s hard, but it shows they’re growing up.”

“You’re not planning on doing one of those here, are you?” Cera said, wincing.

“Of course not!” Chomper said in mock exasperation. “I would never do that!”

“Me try to fly as high as me can on twelfth Star Day,” Petrie stated, stretching his wings.

“My twelfth Star Day is coming up pretty soon,” Littlefoot said. “My dad’s supposed to come visit. Apparently he has plans for me.” Littlefoot turned to Fyn. “So what do other Fin-Necks do for this Star Day?”

Fyn shrugged, then spoke hesitantly. “I’m not really sure, but I did once hear about something called ëStarfall’.”

“Starfall?” Petrie said. “That sound kind of spooky!”

“I can’t imagine it would be,” Fyn said, “it’s part of the Star Day celebration, and that’s supposed to be fun!”

“Hm, I guess you right,” Petrie said, still not sounding entirely convinced.

“Still,” Cera said, speculating from her corner of the pond, “it is kind of interesting how Starfall follows Star Day. I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about, though.”

“Yeah, of course not,” Fyn agreed. Now, however, he was beginning to feel a bit apprehensive. What if Cera and Petrie were right? What if Starfall really wasn’t something nice?

“Well, whatever Starfall may be,” Littlefoot said, “be it fun or not, we’ll be here to stand by you.”

“Thanks, guys,” Fyn said, “you’re the best, but I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about.” He settled back down onto his rock. Fyn hadn’t even realized he’d been standing up throughout the whole conversation. He only stood unconsciously when he was nervous about something. Why was his next Star Day making him nervous? He shook the thought from his mind and tried to relax, but relaxation was difficult now.

For a while, the gang simply relaxed, only talking occasionally and enjoying the wonders of the Tree Sweet pond, until finally, they began to notice the Bright Circle falling.

“It’s getting late,” Chomper observed, “I guess we might want to start heading back.”

“I agree,” Fyn said, but before anyone could move, a voice sounded from out of the trees.

“Leave now? But the celebration’s just started!”

“What-?” Fyn looked towards the voice just as his parents stepped out of the trees.

“Happy Star Day, Fyn!” His mother stated.

“Twelve of them already,” his father said, smiling, “you’ve grown so much.”

“Thank you so much!” Fyn said, beaming. As he looked more closely at his parents, however, something unnerved him: his father’s smile. It seemed forced, and fake, and once again, Fyn’s mind went back to his previous thoughts of the mysterious “Starfall.”

“Everyone eat!” Keva said with a grin, pulling a massive pile of the best green food and Tree Sweets the Valley had to offer off of her back and dumping them in front of everyone. Fyn temporarily forgot about his worries. The food looked excellent. Fyn looked to his friends.

“Well? Let’s dig in!”

The adult Fin-Necks watched on with contented smiles as the young dinosaurs stuffed themselves on the delicious food. It wasn’t long before everything was gone. When the last Treestar was downed by Spike, Labon stepped forward to address Fyn.

“Fyn,” he said slowly, as if trying to find the right words to say, “doubtless by now, you understand just how important the twelfth Star Day is.”

Fyn nodded.

“Do you know the Fin-Neck custom for this ceremony?”

Fyn shook his head. “I do not.”

Labon tried smiling, but his smile quickly faded away. Now he was completely stone-faced. “Most Fin-Necks have the privilege of enjoying a day full of fun and exciting events-”

“Really?” Fyn interrupted, beaming.

“-But not all do,” Labon finished, talking over Fyn. “For some, a select few, there is a tradition known as Starfall.”

“Oh no,” Fyn thought, “here it comes.”

“Starfall is a rite of passage only undertaken by those about to accept the position of herd deputy.”

“But I thought I already was next in line,” Fyn said.

“By circumstance, yes. Officially, no. Fyn, you did an outstanding job leading the rest of the herd here seasons ago, and if I could make you deputy based solely on that reason, I would. Unfortunately, tradition stands that you must undergo Starfall before you become my deputy.”

“Alright then,” Fyn said, “but what exactly is Starfall? You make it sound like a bad thing.”

Labon sighed. “It’s certainly not a bad thing, but it will probably be one of the most challenging things you’ve done in your life up to this point.”

“What’s so challenging about it?”

“I can’t say. Just know that you will be mentally and physically tested. Starfall is essentially a day dedicated to the herd leader and the upcoming deputy. Its purpose is to determine if the deputy is ready for leadership.” Labon turned to Littlefoot, who was standing slightly behind Fyn.

“Your father asked me to address you on his behalf when we last met. His herd has a similar tradition, and he asked me if you could go through Starfall as well, since your twelfth Star Day will be soon. I told him I would ask for your consent first, and that if you agree, you can undergo Starfall with Fyn.”

Littlefoot and Fyn looked at each other. Together, something like this could be a lot easier. Littlefoot nodded to his friend, and the two turned to face Labon. The Fin-Neck spoke.

“Very well, we’ll start this, then. Fyn and Littlefoot, do you willfully agree to commence Starfall on the day following Fyn’s twelfth Star Day?”

“I agree,” they said together. The rest of the gang looked on in awe from behind. Everything had happened so suddenly, they could scarcely believe it.

“Then repeat after me,” Labon said. “I, state your name.”

“I, Fyn.”

“I, Littlefoot.”

“Do now agree to the rite of Starfall.”

“Do now agree to the rite of Starfall.”

“Knowing well that, should I fail.”

“Knowing well that, should I fail.”

“I will never be considered as deputy.”

“I will never be considered as deputy.”

“May my actions and behavior be honorable.”

“May my actions and behavior be honorable.”

“And may the Bright Circle guide me down this difficult path.”

“And may the Bright Circle guide me down this difficult path.”

Labon stopped. “That’s all there is. I cannot see either of you until tomorrow, so before I leave, these are my instructions: both of you are to meet me at the lakeside tomorrow before the Bright Circle rises. Heed my words. You must be together. And a bit of advice from someone who’s done this before: whatever happens tomorrow, don’t let it affect you. I will be a much different Longneck tomorrow than the one you see here today. Know that, and be ready. I will not lie. Tomorrow will not be easy for either of you. Stay strong, stay together, and stay committed to finishing Starfall. Goodnight to both of you.”

Labon turned and began to walk away. As Keva left, she spoke as well. “Good luck to both of you. I’ll see you later, Fyn.” Then she was gone, leaving the gang in silence. Littlefoot turned to Fyn.

“What did I just get myself into?”

Fyn shrugged. “I guess we’ll find out tomorrow.”

“Just stay tough, you two,” Cera said, stepping forward, her voice devoid of the usual sarcasm.

“We’ll all be rooting for you,” Chomper said quietly, and Spike went as far as to lick Littlefoot’s front leg, bringing a smile to the Longneck’s face.

“I’d guess we’d better get going, then,” Fyn said, “Littlefoot, we’ll meet at your nest tomorrow and walk to the lake together. It’s time for sleep now.” The others nodded, and they departed together. When they left the trees, they began to head back to their separate nests.  
Not a single word was spoken for the rest of the walk.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Fyn returned to his nest, worn out from the day’s events. His mother was waiting for him. She looked up from her position, laying by his nest, when he arrived.

“Hello, son,” she said simply.

“Where’s Dad?” Littlefoot asked.

“Gone,” Keva answered, “preparing for tomorrow.”

“Am I really not allowed to know what’s going to happen tomorrow?” Fyn asked, settling into his small but comfortable nest. Keva shook her head.

“I wish I could tell you, but that would be breaking tradition. Just remember that your father still loves and respects you, no matter what he says or does tomorrow, and remember- he went through this, too.”

Fyn nodded, yawning. “I just wish I didn’t feel so nervous.”

“Everything will be fine,” Keva reassured him, “you’ll do wonderfully. Your father and I know.”

“I just wish I felt the same,” Fyn said.

“Do you remember when we had to journey back to the Great Valley without your father? Remember how tough that was? I almost gave up, but I kept my eye on the goal: getting to the Great Valley. You need to do the same. Make your father proud and become his deputy. That should be your goal.”

Fyn nodded. “I’ll remember that.”

“You’ll do fine,” Keva said, touching her muzzle to Fyn’s, “now sleep. Tomorrow is an important day.”

Keva stood and walked to her nest, leaving Fyn to sleep. He felt more reassured now, but he still couldn’t help but wonder what challenges were in store for him tomorrow.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This wonderful piece of work has been submitted to the fanfiction awards 2012. If you're reading this fanfiction, please cast your vote and review here!

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Chapter 2: Starfall

As he’d done many times before in his life, Fyn woke early, to the soft glow of the night circle. He looked at it as he awoke, marveling at its delicate beauty. The sight filled him with inspiration. Today, he and Littlefoot were going to prove themselves. He stood up and checked up on his mother before leaving. She was sleeping peacefully. Fyn made up his mind at that point: the next time he saw her, he would be his father’s deputy. With new resolve, he walked bravely out into the early morning, heading for Littlefoot’s nest.

The first thing Littlefoot saw when he woke up was Fyn standing determinedly over him. Littlefoot had barely cracked his eyes open, but Fyn noticed and immediately began to urge him on.

“Come on!” he pressed, “we can’t keep my dad waiting!”

“Right behind you,” Littlefoot said groggily, swaying as he stood up. He looked tired, Fyn reasoned. He probably hadn’t slept well the previous night.

“Come to think of it,” he realized, "neither did I.”

Once Littlefoot had gained his footing, he started walking immediately in the direction of the lake. Fyn followed. It seemed like his friend was ready to face the day. Fyn only hoped his assumption was true.

They had quite a distance to walk. They were in the forest, near Littlefoot’s nest, but they still had to cross the vast plain leading up to the lake. Fyn decided to enjoy the cool breeze and the soft sounds of night-dwelling creatures, chattering and humming quietly. The grass felt good on his feet, comforting, in fact. He had just started to enjoy all of these small things, when he and Littlefoot found themselves on the plain. Ahead, they could see the lake, where Starfall would begin.

“Ready?” Littlefoot asked, looking Fyn steadily in the eyes.

Fyn nodded. “I’m ready. Let’s get this done.”

They began to head towards the lake, swishing through the plains’ tall grass. As they drew closer to the lake, Fyn squinted, trying to make out a shape that had just appeared on the shore. He looked hard, and finally realized it was a Longneck.

“My dad,” he thought. Fyn swallowed hard, not knowing what to expect. Now they could see him clearly, staring out over the water. They had almost reached him, when he turned and stared at them, sizing them up with a neutral expression and piercing, green eyes. He regarded them for a moment longer.

Then Littlefoot’s and Fyn’s world was turned upside down.

Littlefoot nearly jumped out of his hide at the next thing that happened. Without warning, Labon yelled out “Too slow! You two are moving too slowly! Get over here!”

Not knowing what to think, Littlefoot complied, and Fyn did the same, running towards Labon. They drew closer and slowed down, expecting to stop, but Labon suddenly took off running around the lake.

“This is ridiculous!” he yelled, watching Fyn and Littlefoot speed up again after slowing down for him, “how can either of you possibly expect to get through today if that’s all the effort you’re going to give me?!”

Labon was running fast now, especially for a Longneck such as himself. Littlefoot was having trouble keeping up. Fyn seemed to be having an easier time, due to his slightly lighter weight and smaller size, but he was still obviously suffering.

“Fyn-” Littlefoot panted, falling back, “I don’t-, I don’t know-”

“Oh no,” Fyn said, tucking in behind Littlefoot and pushing him, “don’t ever let me hear those words come out of your mouth. We’ll do this together!”

Together, the two Longnecks picked up the pace and fell back in behind Labon. The senior Longneck had changed directions and started running away from the lake. Now he was leading them towards the Great Wall.

“You’d better not let me leave you behind on this run,” Labon warned, glaring back at the two dinosaurs following him. “If you stick with me all the way up, Starfall will end early.”

Fyn and Littlefoot shared a glance of delight. All of this could be over soon, and it looked like Labon was leading them towards a gradual, smooth path up the wall.

Then things changed.

Labon turned towards a high peak- the one he had been looking at the day before. The sight very nearly broke Littlefoot then and there. The mountain was huge. There was no way they could run to the top. Littlefoot turned to look at his friend. An expression of complete disbelief was plastered across his face. It dawned on Littlefoot that this, under any other circumstance, might be somewhat comical, but at the moment, all he wanted was to be done. Soon, they were climbing, still running. The path they were on was steep. Every muscle in Littlefoot’s legs was burning, and Fyn didn’t look like he was feeling much better. They were higher up, now, and Littlefoot could see the Bright Circle rising. With its light, he could tell that the peak was still very far away. Suddenly, Fyn slipped. Labon whipped around sharply.

“Are you slipping, Fyn?” he yelled. “Slipping is a sign of weakness. You are weak! How can I expect to call you a son if you can’t even impress me?”

The comments obviously stung Fyn. Even Littlefoot was crushed. He’d known Labon for a long time, and he’d never heard him say anything with such hatred. He could see tears welling up in his friend’s eyes, but Fyn blinked before they could show, clearing them away. He would not show weakness. They kept climbing and running. To Littlefoot, it seemed like the peak wasn’t getting any closer, and now he was falling behind. Fyn didn’t notice; he was too exhausted, and all of his strength was focused on staying behind his father. Littlefoot glanced down at the Valley below. The Bright Circle had almost completely risen. His friends would be getting up soon and enjoying a peaceful day. He longed to be with them. Suddenly, there was a sharp pain in his chest. Breathing was getting difficult. Littlefoot collapsed.

Fyn heard him and rushed to his aid, but he wasn’t fast enough. Labon was right behind him, and he was madder than a Sharptooth in a hole in the ground, as the saying went.

“You completely disobeyed me!” he screamed, berating Littlefoot who was gasping on the ground. “Get up!” he yelled. Slowly, unsteadily, Littlefoot got to his feet.

“Don’t you ever show weakness to me again, do you understand?” Labon almost whispered. His face about a leaf’s width away from Littlefoot’s.

“Yes, Lab-”

“Do not call me that!” Labon roared. “From this moment until I say otherwise, both of you will address me as leader.” He turned to Fyn.

“I am stressing teamwork here!” he said, approaching his son. “You failed me, and you failed your friend by not helping him. A leader does not leave his comrades behind like you just did. You think you can get through today by yourself? I’d like to see you try!”

He backed up and addressed them both. “Today is going to be a long day for the two of you if you keep failing like this.” He began to pace. “Look behind you,” he said suddenly, without yelling.

The two turned around, looking down into the Valley. Labon continued talking from behind them.

“Everyone down there is going through a normal day. They will not experience the hardships or the challenges you will face today. Someday, maybe soon, many of them may have to rely on you for guidance. You cannot falter when leading them. After Starfall, should you make it that far...” he paused, “which you won’t, you will be a leader. If you fail, your herd fails. Now gaze behind you and upwards.”

Littlefoot and Fyn did as they were told. Above them was the top of the mountain, and Littlefoot could see now that it was a lot closer than he’d thought when he was running.

“You failed to meet my expectations, which means Starfall will continue all day. Rest assured, I never leave something unfinished. Before the day is over, you will complete this run, but for now, follow me.”
Labon started running back down the hill. Fyn and Littlefoot shared a glance and a tired sigh, then followed him. Today was going to be a very long day.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

When they hit the Valley floor, they continued running. As they moved, Fyn could see others watching them, wondering what was going on. He turned his head to acknowledge them.

It was his first mistake.

“Fyn!” Labon yelled again, “don’t you dare gaze anywhere other than me! No one but me is your focus today. Stop disappointing me!”

Fyn snapped his head back, only staring at Labon. They pressed on, running towards a rocky section of the forest. They ran through the trees, and Fyn caught several branches in the face. Despite this, he and Littlefoot pressed on. Labon led them up to a small, rocky hill just above the treeline, and indicated for Littlefoot and Fyn to line up side-by-side in front of him. They did so.

“I’m now going to test your endurance, and how well you can think under stress,” Labon said. “When I say ëRockslide,’ you will drop to the ground, then pick yourself up as quickly as possible. When I say ëSharptooth’ you will throw your tail from side to side as if fending off a Sharptooth. Am I clear?”

The friends nodded.

“We’ll see. Rockslide!”

Labon’s call caught Fyn and Littlefoot off guard, but only for a moment. They dropped to the ground and pushed themselves back onto their feet, ready to wait for the next statement.

“Rockslide,” Labon repeated, calmly. Fyn and Littlefoot hit the ground again and recovered.

“This time,” Fyn though to himself, breathing heavily, “He’ll call ëSharptooth.’ He has to!”

“Rockslide,” Labon repeated again, and the two dinosaurs went back down and up. Now Fyn was getting really anxious. When would his father start mixing things up? The “Rockslides” just kept coming. Fyn’s legs were shaking. He’d never done anything like this. Littlefoot had stronger front legs, and was having a considerably better time. After the fourteenth “Rockslide,” Fyn’s knees began to buckle. Littlefoot rushed to his side and supported him. On the next “Rockslide,” Littlefoot helped him up. Then things switched up again.

“Sharptooth!” Labon said. Fyn began to go down. He’d been expecting another “Rockslide.” Labon was immediately on to him.

“Why aren’t you listening? I said Sharptooth!”

Fyn corrected himself and stood up, swishing his long tail through the air with a resounding “crack.” It was that sound, a sound only Fin-Necks and their cousins could produce, that inspired Fyn to keep going.

“Sharptooth.”

“Crack!” Fyn’s tail sliced through the air once more. Now he was feeling motivated again.

“Rockslide!”

Fyn and Littlefoot hit the ground again, breathing hard, but inspired to succeed. The process repeated for a while. Then Labon finally called a halt.

“You two have earned something, amazingly,” he said, “water.”

Fyn and Littlefoot both looked in sorry shape. They were breathing heavily, and could barely move. They simply nodded in understanding.

“Alright, then. Follow me.”

Labon took off running, and Fyn and Littlefoot, with no thoughts other than those of the cool water which awaited them, followed. They chased Labon through the trees until they finally stopped by a trickling, clear stream.

“Drink,” Labon ordered, “but only as much as you have to.”

Fyn bent his head to the water and drank. Water had never tasted so good in his life. He could hear Littlefoot thirstily gulping down water beside him as well. Just as he started feeling satisfied, Labon spoke again.

“Let’s go, we’re moving again, drinking’s over!” He took off running again. Fyn and Littlefoot could scarcely keep up. They ran farther into the woods, where they stopped at a small clearing. Fyn gazed into the forest ahead with interest. All of the trees seemed to have been weakened at the base, and not by natural causes. Someone had set this up.

Labon walked ahead and paused directly in front of the trees.

“As a herd leader or deputy, the possibility of attack by either Sharpteeth, or, in some cases, other Leaf Eaters is a very real possibility. You must be prepared to deal with such attacks should they occur. As a Longneck, your best defense is your size and strength, but that does not mean you should be the aggressor at every point during a fight. More often than not, you will need to be defensive. Learn to dodge attacks, be mindful of your surroundings, and prepare for a counterattack. Rockslide.”

Fyn and Littlefoot almost didn’t catch the phrase Labon had thrown into his speech, but when they did, they hit the ground and shot right back up.

“Good,” Labon said, “you’re still awake. You’ll need to be in here.”

He gestured to one of the weakened trees. “These are your attackers. They are the first challenges you will encounter in this forest, but they will not be your last. You will not let them touch you. Instead, you will dodge them. Obviously, I can’t do this alone, so I have an assistant. Mr. Threehorn, will you step forward?”

Without warning, Cera’s father stepped out of the trees next to Labon. “Who do I get to break today?” he asked with a malicious grin. Labon continued with his speech.

“Your goal is to make it out of the trees and into the clearing on the other side of the forest. Mr. Threehorn will accompany Littlefoot through, and I will accompany Fyn. When I say move, get into the trees!”

Fyn and Littlefoot stayed stationary as the two adults walked into the forest. When they were inside, Labon took one last check around and yelled “move!”

Fyn ran into the trees, slipping past them with ease. This was going to be easy. Suddenly, there was a loud cracking sound next to him. Fyn looked up just in time to see a massive dead tree falling towards him. He sidestepped quickly, avoiding it, but as soon as he did, another tree was bearing down on him! His father was pushing over the weakened trees. Fyn pulled himself together. His goal was to get to the other side of the forest, and that was exactly what he was going to do.

Fyn resumed his pace, running straight ahead and dodging trees left and right. One very nearly caught him in the face, but he pulled his head back just in time to avoid contact. The path through the trees seemed to go on forever. Left, right, duck, jump, turn- all of the directions were becoming confusing, but Fyn just kept going. If he stopped, he would fail, and that was most definitely not going to happen. Finally, just as it seemed the falling trees would never end, they did, and Fyn found himself standing next to a young, flexible tree. His father was on the other side of the tree, with one foot on its trunk.

“Congratulations, you’ve made it this far. Now, it’s time to learn the next step: repelling and following up on an attack. Before we start, however, Sharptooth.”

At the phrase, Fyn swished his tail from side to side, cracking it through the air.

“Good,” Labon said, and this time he sounded different. Pleased, perhaps? Fyn didn’t dare presume, but it made him feel a bit better.

“This tree I am standing behind is your attacker. Keep it away from your face, belly, and back. Those are all vulnerable areas. I don’t care how you do it, but if this tree hits you in any of the areas I just mentioned, I guarantee you will regret it.”

Fyn nodded and gave the approved affirmative.

“Yes, leader!”

“Outstanding,” Labon said, then pushed the tree violently towards Fyn, bending it towards his midsection. Fyn sidestepped, striking the tree with his tail. Labon countered by releasing pressure and swinging the tree up towards Fyn’s face. Fyn recoiled, throwing his head back to avoid the branch. Unfortunately, he also exposed his neck. Labon saw his chance and swept the tree across Fyn’s throat. It wasn’t hard enough to cause damage, but it was enough to surprise Fyn and knock him off balance.

“Do not expose your throat!” Labon said, “that is the last mistake you will ever make! If a Sharptooth’s jaws so much as graze you there, you’re lost to us. Sharptooth!”

Fyn swished his tail again, and prepared for the next attack. This one came for his face, but Fyn was ready. He lowered his head and presented the “attacker” with only his spines; perhaps his most intimidating feature. Labon tried again, aiming for Fyn’s back. Fyn was ready again, and promptly sliced his tail across the tree, diverting it. Finally, Labon came in for a low strike, and Fyn saw his chance. He pushed himself up onto his back legs and brought his front ones down onto the tree, pinning it.

“Good!” Labon said, “push harder, finish this!”

Fyn pushed the tree even harder into the ground with all of his strength. Suddenly, there was a loud “crack!” and the tree snapped in half. Fyn was suddenly reminded of his childhood journey to the Great Valley. His mother had saved the herd by snapping an attacking Sharptooth’s neck- the same one that had killed his grandfather. He had been amazed at his mother’s strength, but also somewhat frightened. He’d never seen his mother end another creature’s life. Now, he’d practiced the same. He was truly growing up.

“Good job, Fyn,” Labon said, and for the first time that day, there wasn’t a trace of harshness in his voice. “You ended the attack quickly and decisively. Just remember that a Fin-Neck never takes another life unless it is absolutely necessary. If loss of life can be avoided, then it must be.” He turned and glanced farther into the trees. Ahead, Fyn could see a faint glimmer of light. He was almost done.

“Finish this strong,” Labon said, “go!”
Fyn took off running faster than he’d ever gone before. He raced through the trees until he came to a small, steep depression. Without a second thought, he ran down into it and forced himself up the other side. It was grueling, but he kept going. Now he was plunging headfirst through vines, unable to see. He pressed on regardless, until he met his final challenge. The vines ended abruptly, and suddenly Fyn found himself tripping into a massive, deep, muddy pool. He kept going, slogging through the viscous, putrid slime, forcing his burning muscles to perform, and slowly, he began to crawl out again. Finally, he’d made it. Fyn raced to the treeline, and just as he made it through, collapsed on the ground with a shout of triumph. Momentarily, he heard Littlefoot do the same nearby. He glanced over at his friend. Littlefoot was dirty and exhausted, but smiling. Seeing him, Fyn broke into a smile, too. They had accomplished much, and as Fyn looked up at the sky, he noticed the Bright Circle; most specifically its position. It had already reached its highest point, and was now on its journey back to the horizon. Starfall was almost over.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Soon, Cera’s father and Labon emerged from the trees a short distance away.  Littlefoot saw them say something to each other, most likely a “thank you” from Labon. Littlefoot recalled his little trip through the trees. It seemed like Mr. Threehorn had pushed almost the entire forest down on top of him. Then, of course, there was the simulated attack. He’d never seen anyone wield a tree more aggressively. Come to think of it, he’d never seen anyone wield a tree in the first place. The last run had been grueling as well, of course. However, despite the fact that he was now aching miserably all over, Littlefoot respected Mr. Threehorn for what he’d done. He’d taken time out of his day to assist in Starfall, and all throughout his time with him, the Threehorn had never given Littlefoot any trouble about being a Longneck. Perhaps there was more to him than it seemed.

Labon finished speaking with Mr. Threehorn. Cera’s father nodded and walked away, while Labon began to return to Fyn and Littlefoot.

“Both Mr. Threehorn and I were impressed with your performance during the forest run. This is what every leader who puts his prospective deputies through this challenge wants to see. I see an intensity in both of you. It is an intensity that cannot be quelled by hardship alone. I want to see you carry that intensity over into our final challenge during this rite. I think you both know what it is.”

Littlefoot and Fyn glanced back up at the peak they had attempted to climb earlier in the morning.

“Yes, leader,” they responded.

“You cannot do this alone. Learn from your mistakes this morning. Push each other and work together, and you will succeed. I know you can. You may rest here until the Bright Circle touches the tip of Saurus Rock-” Labon gestured to what was perhaps the most famous formation in the Valley. Saurus rock looked much like a Longneck, and seeing it filled both Littlefoot and Fyn with pride, “-and when that happens, both of you will run to the top of the peak. I will be waiting for you. This is where you succeed and prove to me what you are capable of or fail and disappoint me by proving that I’ve taught you nothing.  I expect to see you both at the top of that mountain before the Bright Circle is below the horizon. Good luck.”

Labon walked away, leaving Littlefoot and Fyn in silence.

“Well,” Littlefoot said, “that was not what I was expecting Starfall to be like.”

“Were you thinking better or worse?” Fyn asked.

“Better,” Littlefoot said, “but I’m kind of glad it was worse. I feel much more proud of what I’ve done.”

Fyn nodded. “Yeah, I think I do, too.”

Littlefoot spared a quick glance towards home. His Grandparents would be proud if he completed this. Then he remembered something

“Let’s not forget that this isn’t over yet, though,” he said, “we can’t fail this run again.”

“Agreed,” said Fyn, “we’ll do this together, like we did everything else today.”

Littlefoot glanced once more at the Bright Circle. In a few moments, it would touch Saurus Rock. Then the final challenge would begin. He hoped he was ready. He could feel his heartbeat quickening, and his breathing getting faster. He had to calm down, he knew. Whatever happened, he knew he could finish. He repeated this thought over and over,  mentally savoring it, and slowly he began to relax.

“There it is,” Fyn said, gesturing towards the Bright Circle, which was now right on top of Saurus Rock.

“And here we go,” said Littlefoot, starting the run. He and Fyn began to run like never before, ignoring every abuse that had been placed on their muscles, any inkling of exhaustion, and pushing ahead with determination, fueled by the intensity that Labon had described. They would not fail- not today or ever.

As they ran into the Valley’s center and began to cross the plains, they noticed that many of the Valley’s residents had come out to cheer them on. Fyn could see his mother and his sisters, Salde and Rya, yelling encouragement from the lakeside. Littlefoot noticed his grandparents, and even Mr. Threehorn cheering him on. All of their friends’ parents were there as well.

“Where are all of our friends?” Fyn asked suddenly, panting.

“No idea,” Littlefoot said.

They began to draw closer to the Great Wall, and suddenly, there they were- all of their friends standing right at the wall’s base shouting words of encouragement. Littlefoot grinned and pushed harder, racing forwards. Fyn followed, and they began the climb, encouraged by their friends.

Like before, the path was difficult to tread. It was covered in loose stones, and parts of it were so thin that Littlefoot was forced to leave Fyn’s side and fall in behind him. Still they carried on, helping each other up and pushing each other to go on. Now they were running hard, not even thinking about the pain, reaching for the goal that was getting closer each moment: the peak.

It was almost within their grasp.  

Meanwhile, in the vast reaches of space, other events were unfolding. The chunk of space rock, the result of the massive collision which had taken place earlier, was nearing its final destination. As it drew closer to the small, blue sphere in the cosmos, it began to hit other pieces of debris, and fragmentate. At this point, it had reached the point of no return. Nothing could stop it now. It hurtled onwards toward its resting place, surrounded by deadly, smaller pieces of itself. There was nothing anyone could do. What was to happen next would be inevitable.

So close, now. The goal was so near. Fyn dug hard into the recesses of his energy, fighting to keep moving, fighting to succeed and to push his friend to succeed. The peak was in sight. Now, however, the path began to wind around the mountain. This had its advantages and disadvantages. The path was considerably less steep now, but had traded steepness for length. Breathing was getting harder, and despite the motivation they’d been feeling earlier, both Fyn and Littlefoot were beginning to grow weary. As the good feelings began to leave, pain set in. This was truly the most rigorous part of the day. The Bright Circle was almost touching the horizon, as well. Fyn was now desperately hoping they would make it in time. He looked back at his friend.

“Come on, Littlefoot,” he urged, slowing down and running beside his friend, “let’s go!”

“I’m trying,” Littlefoot groaned.

“Think,” Fyn said, “who do you want to finish this for?” Fyn himself had been thinking of no one but his grandfather, and how proud he would have been, for the past few steps.

“You’re right,” Littlefoot said, a new look of steely determination on his face, “I’m finishing this for my mother! Let’s go!” Littlefoot took off and Fyn sped after him. One more turn to go before the peak.

“Now that’s more like it,” Fyn said, and smiled. They rounded the final corner and stopped; they had finished.

Labon was waiting for them, and watched as the Bright Circle finally touched the horizon. He was silent for a moment, and Fyn almost thought he saw the beginnings of a tear in his eye. This had truly been a trying day for everyone. Finally, Labon acknowledged the two young dinosaurs standing before him.

“Well done,” he said, “I watched you both the entire way. You pushed each other, and you never quit. Not once.” He turned again to the Bright Circle. “That is exactly what is expected of a future leader.”

“Is Starfall... over, leader?” Fyn asked, timidly.

“Please,” Labon said, “don’t call me that anymore. I’m ëdad’ again. For Littlefoot, it is indeed over. This is where his father said his Starfall was to be complete. For you however, Fyn, it is not. There is one more ritual that must be completed: a vigil.”

Labon turned to Littlefoot.

“Littlefoot, you’ve impressed me today. You used your strengths to help Fyn, especially during the earlier part of the day, and you pushed through your weaknesses. You showed determination and inspiration. I am proud of you, and I’m sure your father will be, too. Your Starfall is now complete. Remember this day as you go forth and lead.” On the last few words, Labon dipped his head solemnly. Littlefoot did the same, acknowledging Labon’s gesture. Then Littlefoot picked his head up and looked to Fyn.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, and I’ll tell the gang about how well you did.”

“Don’t forget to mention how well you did,” Fyn called back to Littlefoot as his friend made his way down the slope. Once again, Labon turned to his son.

“The vigil you are about to complete is symbolic. You will stay up here for the remainder of the night, watching over the Great Valley. This represents guarding your herd. Use this time to reflect on what you’ve learned today.” Labon turned to walk away, but before he started down the slope, he stopped, sighed, and turned around.

“I’m not normally supposed to say this until tomorrow, but you were excellent today, Fyn. You listened to me, you helped Littlefoot and accepted help when you needed it, and you ignored your hardships to accomplish the task before you. I’m so proud, words can’t describe it.”

Now, Fyn could see that tears really were forming in his father’s eyes. “Thanks, Dad,” he said.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, son,” Labon said quietly, maintaining his neutral expression still. He began to walk away, but just before leaving Fyn’s sight, he turned once more, smiled briefly, and left.

Fyn’s heart was warmed by the sight. His father respected him! He was overjoyed at his father’s message, and at how he and Littlefoot had completed Starfall.

“Correction,” he thought, “Littlefoot’s completed Starfall. I’m not done yet.”

Fyn lay down on the peak, gazing out over what had been his home for the past few seasons. When he’d first come here, he’d been convinced there was no better place, no place more beautiful and safe, in the world. As the Bright Circle left the sky and was replaced by the Night Circle, Fyn truly felt happy knowing that not only had he finished the biggest challenge of his life, but that he still lived safe and sound in such a wonderful place.

It’s amazing how easily and quickly such things can change.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Yep this is more like it. I'm nearly 10,000 words into this and I'm only on chapter two. I feel I've put a lot more detail and effort into this story than any I've done before. Fasten seatbelts (or whatever they had back in the mesozoic), 'cause things get pretty rough from here on out! I can't wait!

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Chapter 3: The Breaking Sky

Labon had returned to the lakeside, where Starfall began earlier that day. The sky was dark now, and the stars were out.

“Starfall,” he thought, “I’ll have to remember to explain the meaning of that term to Fyn tomorrow.”

The concept of Starfall’s name was simple. It took place directly after a twelfth Star Day, when the future deputy was at his or her highest state of happiness. Often, it was then that the dinosaur’s deputy status was revealed. Starfall was all about bringing the dinosaur in question down from that state of happiness, and forcing them to become next to nothing, insignificant. Many of these dinosaurs had never failed in their life, hence the reason for their candidacy for deputy. Starfall taught them all what failure was like. The best leaders acknowledged their failures and strove to learn from them and become better, but Starfall also singled out those who couldn’t accept failure. Almost always, those dinosaurs never became deputies. Starfall also represented a sort of passageway into adolescent years, a chance for dinosaurs to prove they were strong enough to accept the challenge of leadership.

Labon smiled, recalling his Starfall. Poldar, Keva’s father and Fyn’s grandfather, had made his life miserable. He glanced up at the mountaintop where his son was standing watch, and stood a little straighter, a little prouder. He’d known his son could do great things, and today, Fyn had proved that. Labon was also impressed with Littlefoot. He’d never really known Littlefoot as well as Fyn had, but today he’d shown himself to be a dinosaur of character, and full of endurance and determination. It seemed Fyn had chosen some quality friends.
Labon heard a whispering rustle behind him; the sound of grass parted by soft footsteps. He turned around. Keva was behind him.

“How did it go?” she asked.

“Fine.”

“And our son?”

Labon didn’t speak for a moment, recalling everything Fyn and Littlefoot had done.

“He passed. In fact, he was amazing.”

“Oh, thank goodness,” Keva said, crying tears of pride and joy. Labon was doing the same. They embraced, touching muzzles, then parted.

“I just wish I could have seen him-”

“You will,” Labon reassured her, “tomorrow, when the vigil’s over.”

“I can’t wait,” Keva said, positively beaming through her tears. “Will you be going to sleep soon?” she asked Labon.

Labon shook his head. “No, I think I’ll be up for a while longer.”

Keva nodded. “I understand.”

“Sleep well,” Labon said as Keva walked away. Labon returned to his silence, contemplating the day’s challenges, this time from his standpoint. If the challenges Fyn had faced had been hard, the challenges he’d faced as a father had been equally difficult. He’d been forced to yell at his son, to break him down. It had taken every bit of composure in his body to keep from breaking. He’d tried to prepare himself the night before, but nothing could truly have prepared him. He sat down by the lakeside, watching the rippling water reflecting the Night Circle’s image. For Fyn and himself, the hardships were finally over. He took another look at his son’s peak. He hoped Fyn was truly thinking about what an amazing opportunity he’d had today. Not many had the chance to go through Starfall, and Fyn and Littlefoot had distinguished themselves as having gone through it almost perfectly.

A cool breeze blew through the Valley, skimming off of the lake and washing over Labon. Today had been stressful, to say the least, but now he could relax. The worst was over.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Closer and closer the space rocks came, heralding nothing but imminent destruction. By now, the large rock was surrounded by a veritable swarm of smaller pieces, all following the same path. The small blue planet was now in sight, and still they sped on, sightless, unfeeling, with the power to cause damage no Sharptooth or Earthshake could ever rival.

On his perch, Fyn stared down into the Valley below, watching as the last of the dinosaurs went back to their nests to sleep. It felt... grown-up, he decided, watching everyone go about their lives, and with that feeling came an intense sense of responsibility. It was kind of scary, but invigorating, too. Fyn swept his eyes among the lush forests, sweeping hills, rolling plains, and clear blue water. Then something caught his eye: another dinosaur, still awake and sitting by the lake. Fyn took a closer look. It was his father! From his vantage point, Fyn saw the great Longneck turn to look in his direction and felt a surge of joy. He’d acknowledged him! From all the way down in the Valley! Fyn beamed. He truly had the best dad around. He tried thinking about how hard it must have been for Labon to perform Starfall, and gave up. Fyn could never have imagined yelling at his own child, if he’d ever decided to have children.

“Which I won’t,” he thought with the utmost certainty. He liked being around his friends, and had fond memories of them as children, but actually having to raise Young Ones? Absolutely not. They were too much of a hassle. Plus, he’d have to have a mate, and that was completely out of the question. Females, he’d decided from having been around Salde and Rya, just seemed to get stranger as they got older. He wanted a life of adventure, and a mate would only slow him down.

Fyn turned his attention back to the lakeside. Labon was still there. Fyn wondered briefly if the herd leader was required to sit vigil, but dismissed the idea. Knowing his father, he was probably simply staying up with his son, as encouragement. Fyn decided to get comfortable. After all, tonight had barely started, and it looked to be long.

Littlefoot returned late to his nest with his grandparents. In celebration of his completion of Starfall, they had taken him to the best trees in the Great Valley, where Littlefoot had gorged himself on a delicious meal and met the rest of his friends. There, they’d talked, laughed, played, ate, and had fun. The entire time, however, he never felt quite right. He really wanted Fyn to be with him, but until morning, his friend would be sitting awake on one of the highest peaks in the Great Valley. Even now, as he was settling down and preparing for sleep, the thought troubled him.

“Grandma, Grandpa?” Littlefoot asked as he lay down in his nest.

“Yes, Littlefoot?” his grandmother answered.

“Is something the matter?” asked his grandfather.

“Well, sort of.”

“Go on,” said his grandmother.

“Well, I got to celebrate right after Starfall, but Fyn’s still up on the Great Wall by himself. I feel terrible for getting to do all of these great things while he’s still not done.”

“Well,” said Grandpa Longneck, “Fyn’s a Fin-Neck, and as Starfall is their custom, there’s an additional act that must be completed. Longnecks like us don’t go through Starfall, with the exception of you. I’m sure it must feel amazing to be the first of your kind to participate in Starfall.”

“It is, I guess,” Littlefoot said, frowning, “but I still don’t feel right about it.”

“Then listen to me, Littlefoot,” said Grandma Longneck, “Starfall is over for you. What you do now is your choice.”

“Are you saying I should sit vigil, too?”

“All I’m saying is that you are free to decide what to do,” Grandma Longneck said, evasively.

Littlefoot nodded. “Thanks. Good night Grandma, good night, Grandpa.”

“Good night, Littlefoot,” they said together. Then the pair of old Longnecks closed their eyes and settled down for sleep. When Littlefoot was convinced they were, in fact, asleep, he made his move and began to slip away, confident in his secrecy. If he got in trouble tomorrow for what he was about to do, he reasoned, he’d explain his actions thoroughly, but he couldn’t back out now. This simply had to be done.

Back in the nest, both old Longnecks cracked their eyes open, watching as Littlefoot left.

“I knew he’d do it,” Grandma Longneck whispered.

Her mate nodded, “that’s our Grandson, someone we can always count on to do the right thing.”

And with that, the two of them fell contentedly asleep.

Still sitting and watching, Fyn was now fully awake. His leg had cramped miserably when he’d started nodding off due to the strenuous exercise he’d undergone earlier. Now he was fully awake, and watching over his sore leg. Still, he gazed over the Valley. There certainly wasn’t anything else to do.

At that moment, a movement caught his eye over near Littlefoot’s nest. Fyn was instantly alert. Was it an Egg Stealer perhaps? Maybe just a visitor? Or perhaps something much worse? Fyn had heard stories about Sharpteeth coming into the Valley. In fact, he’d seen it happen before. He’d actually made friends with one once: a Twobreed called Terra, so he knew it was definitely possible. Although it wasn’t likely, if a Sharptooth did happen to be over by Littlefoot’s nest...

Then the stranger revealed himself and Fyn breathed a sigh of relief and relaxed. The dinosaur at Littlefoot’s nest was none other than Littlefoot himself. Fyn watched with curiosity as the Longneck below snuck out of the trees and began to head for the opposite side of the Great Wall. What was he doing? Then Fyn saw him begin to climb the wall, heading for a somewhat smaller peak, and it dawned on him: Littlefoot was going to sit vigil with him! Now Fyn was truly excited. First, his father, and now his best friend. What an excellent night this was turning out to be! He watched Littlefoot’s progress. After all, he had nothing but time. After a while, Littlefoot had finally made it to the top of his peak, and sat down. He called out, his Longneck’s cry almost mournful, echoing across the Valley and reaching the ears of Fyn. When the Fin-Neck heard him, he reared up his head and answered back. Then came the biggest surprise of all. From down below in the Valley, Labon answered both of them. Fyn felt the moment was truly surreal: the trio which had started Starfall together would now finish it together, for better or worse, although Fyn truly hoped “worse” was not an option.

Unfortunately, as always, nature had other plans.

Littlefoot didn’t know how long he’d been sitting up on his peak for, but he imagined it must be close to morning by now. The sky was still dark, but there was an extremely faint sliver of blue on the horizon. The Bright Circle still wouldn’t rise for quite some time, he knew, but at least the night was more than halfway over. Just a little while longer... Littlefoot lay down on his side, desperately hoping something would happen. Things up here were getting quite boring, he’d decided. Still, he was happy knowing that he was supporting his friend, and happier still that Labon had decided to stay awake and support both of them. There was something else that made him feel good as well, though. For perhaps the first time, tonight, he truly felt mature. That, perhaps, was what kept him up here and awake more than anything else.

Ripping across the upper bounds of the atmosphere, the space rocks were beginning their final and lethal descent. As they fell, they began to burn, giving off an intense orange-white glow and a trail of smoke. The largest rock was beginning to crack, straining under the immense pressure. It was this rock, lagging behind the others, which was to truly be the final blow in the attack that was about to occur upon the unsuspecting Valley. Slowly, the rocks fell, accelerating and burning all the way. The time had come.

Fyn gazed into the night sky, staring at the stars above. Tonight, they were all very clear, and he was amusing himself by trying to do something his grandfather had once taught him: finding shapes in the stars. Fyn had never been good at it. All he could see was shapeless blobs formed by connecting the little points of light, not the many creatures his grandfather saw, but it was still fun to try. As he was trying to see if a particular group of stars looked more like a Sharptooth or a Hopper, something strange caught his eye, something in the sky, in fact. Fyn had just seen it, but now he’d lost it.

“Oh well,” he reasoned, “probably just me not getting enough sleep.”

Then the strange... thing caught his eye again. Fyn looked up once more. Now he could see it perfectly. It was a glow, orange, like himself, that had suddenly appeared amidst the other stars.

“Is that a star?” he whispered to himself, trying harder to see the object.

“No, it couldn’t be,” he answered himself, still whispering, “star’s don’t just appear. That’s something else.”

“Suddenly appearing” wasn’t the only strange thing going on with the object now, Fyn noticed. Now, it seemed to be growing, getting larger each moment. In fact, Fyn could clearly see it now. It was an orange, burning ball, and it appeared to be coming closer. Littlefoot had told him about these. They were called Flying Rocks. He said they often streaked by overhead, but were never dangerous, just mysterious and fun to watch. The sight, truth be told, had begun to make Fyn nervous, but now with Littlefoot’s words in his mind, he was feeling better. The Flying Rock wouldn’t touch them, and he’d even get a good show out of it. He settled back to watch. The rock grew bigger still, until it was close enough for Fyn to decide it was about as big as he was. Just as he came to his conclusion, the rock soared by with a terrible, whistling scream. Fyn felt the rush of air as it passed, trailing smoke, and watched in disbelief at what happened next.

Instead of simply “flying by” as all other Flying Rocks had done in the past, this rock did something different. It came in low, and without warning, smashed into the Great Wall, near the Smoking Mountain with a tremendous crashing noise, followed by a burst of light. Whoever had decided that Flying Rocks were safe was wrong, Fyn decided. At least, he thought, it had been the only one. Fyn turned back to the sky, and his jaw dropped suddenly at the sight before him: not one, but dozens, maybe hundreds of small orange spots filled the sky.

And they were all headed straight for the Great Valley.

Labon had watched in horror as the first Flying Rock impacted the Great Wall. Now, he turned his gaze back to see the rest of the danger.

“Oh no,” he breathed, and instantly stood up and took off running for his mate and daughters. The Valley had to be warned.

Littlefoot, too, saw the action, and was instantly on his feet. He was the first to see the next wave of flying rocks coming in. Immediately, he began to run back down to the Valley, to try to warn the others. If the rest of the Flying Rocks he saw could only do a fraction of the damage the first had caused, everyone would need to get to a safe spot, and fast. As he hit the Valley floor, he began running and yelling “Flying Rocks, everyone! Wake up! Get your families to safety!” As he passed dinosaurs, they began to stand up, angry at having been woken up at such an inconvenient time. However, most soon saw the approaching trouble and understood the gravity of the situation. They, too, began to assist Littlefoot, waking up whoever they could.

By now, Littlefoot had almost reached the lake. He could see Fyn on the other side, rousing families and trying to push them to safety. Littlefoot heard a flapping noise by his head and looked up to see Petrie.

“Petrie!” he said, “what are you doing here?”

“Asking you what going on!” the Flyer answered. Then the second Flying Rock screamed over and crashed into some nearby trees. The blast was deafening, and startled Petrie into almost falling to the ground.

“Flying Rocks?” he said to no one in particular, “I thought they only fly over Great Valley, not into it!”

“Well tonight, they do,” Littlefoot said, “get the gang and tell them to wake up whoever they can. We need to get underneath something for safety!”

“Okay!” Petrie said, scooting away into the sky.

“Be careful!” Littlefoot called after him. Petrie nodded and waved his wings, to show he understood. Then he was gone.

Now, Flying Rocks of all sizes were impacting the Valley like a nightmarish rain. The bombardment was shaking the ground, and the sounds were ear-shattering. Littlefoot gritted his teeth. Now was the time to focus. He continued running, trying to avoid where it seemed the Flying Rocks would hit. Things were about to get dangerous and busy, just the sort of environments Littlefoot thrived in.

Fyn raced through the panicking dinosaurs, telling them all to head for shelter, all the while heading for home. He hoped beyond hope that his family was safe. A small Flying Rock impacted the ground in front of him, throwing a dense cloud of dirt and debris into Fyn’s face. He coughed and shook his head, trying to clear his eyes of the dust that was now trapped in them. He blinked a few times, then continued onwards. His eyes were still burning, but at least he could see. He was glad to note that, despite the chaos, everyone was heading for the Great Wall, which held an abundance of caves. Right now, a cave was probably the safest place to be. Fyn dodged the falling shards of rock, all the while being pelted by debris, some of it still hot, from all sides. The “storm” of falling rock had intensified, and now being out in the open was becoming risky. Fyn could see the small cluster of trees that marked his home. He could even see the tree where he’d eaten his last breakfast before Starfall.

“Starfall,” he thought to himself, a notion suddenly occurring to him, “how ironic.”

He dashed for the trees as fast as he could go, but he wasn’t fast enough. A massive Flying Rock, as big or slightly bigger than a fully-grown Longneck plowed into the midst of where Fyn knew his nest was. The resulting explosion tore up every tree nearby and knocked Fyn back with a loud roar. Fyn regained his footing and senses and looked at the burning crater where his home had once been.

“No!” he screamed, running towards the site of destruction, “Mom, Dad, Salde, Rya, someone answer me!”

“Fyn!” he heard a voice cry from a distance. Fyn looked for the sound, then almost broke down in relief. It was his family, safely away from the devastation and heading for the wall. Labon was not among them.

“Come on, let’s go!” Salde shrieked.

“Wait!” Fyn yelled, “where’s Dad?”

“He’s out doing what you were just doing,” Keva answered, “helping others to safety.”

“Then I’ve got to help him,” Fyn said, “get to safety!”

Keva, hearing the adult-like intensity in her son’s voice, complied. She knew what her son had been through that day, and scared as she was of what might happen, knew her son would handle the situation well.

Fyn raced back towards the lake, where his father had last been. The ground was now cratered, and the sky was filled with the terrible shrieks of Flying Rocks. On top of it all, parts of the Valley were now burning. It was hard to see anything amongst all of the smoke, explosions, and flying debris, but Fyn thought he saw a slight movement ahead. There was only one dinosaur who would still be out here: his father. Fyn ran towards the sight, and called out.

“Dad, Dad, are you there?” Another falling rock impacted nearby, throwing Fyn off balance. When the smoke and dust cleared, he stood up and tried again. He could now see clearly ahead. His father was in front of him.

“Come on, Dad!” Fyn yelled, “everyone’s safe! Let’s get back to the family!”

“Fyn!” Labon yelled back, “don’t stand in one place! It’s dangerous!”

Fyn, however, did not hear him over the loud crashes. “What did you say!”

Suddenly, Fyn saw Labon’s head whip upward. An expression of terror was on his face. He began to sprint towards Fyn. Fyn, of course, assumed that he was finally coming to join him.

“Run, Fyn!” Labon yelled, but Fyn still couldn’t hear him.

“I said go!”

Fyn strained to make out his father’s words, but nothing made sense. Then he saw his father’s expression and looked up in time to see a Flying Rock bearing down on him. There was nowhere he could go in time. Fyn prepared himself for the inevitable.

“Get down!” Labon yelled, tackling Fyn to the ground. Everything following seemed to Fyn to happen very slowly. As he fell to the ground, twisting to avoid landing on his spines, he looked over his father’s back. There was a flash, and another loud rumble as the Flying Rock hit the ground right in front of them. This one was big, perhaps Cera’s size, and the resulting explosion blasted both Fyn and Labon off their feet and backwards. Fyn hit the ground hard and Labon landed almost on top of him. The landing was anything but painless, but at least they were alive, and it seemed as if the rock storm was dying down finally. Fyn got up from under his father slowly and looked back to the sky, hoping he was right.

“What?” he whispered in horrified disbelief. There was still one more cruel trick nature had to play. There was only one speck of light left, but it was massive. It was, in fact, the Flying Rock that had lagged behind all of the others, and the strains that falling through the atmosphere had placed upon it were finally about to take effect. There was a sudden, blinding flash of light in the skies above the Great Valley.

“Get down again!” Fyn yelled to Labon, but it seemed as if his father had already been prepared. He was already on the ground. Fyn dove to his side as the sound hit. It was unlike anything he’d ever heard before, and he only heard it for an instant. It was a terrible, loud, whooshing sound, unlike any roar a Sharptooth had ever made. Then there was silence, save for a ringing in Fyn’s ears. Then came the worst part. A massive wave of displaced and heated air hit the Valley. Fyn felt it rock him, threatening to tear him from the Valley floor, but he stayed pressed to the ground. The air was hot, hotter than the strongest summer heat, and it hurt as it washed over him, but Fyn did not flinch. He watched as nearby trees were completely uprooted, and flung about like sticks, then his vision went dark. The true Starfall, it seemed, had just happened.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Chapter 4: Aftermath

Cold and silence, interrupted by flashes of light. Shades of gray, falling flakes of something soft, flickers of orange light, giving off warmth. A smell, the scent of burning filling the air. A sound, faint and thin, but slowly becoming louder. A name, but whose? Louder, louder still, even louder now...

“Fyn, wake up!”

Fyn opened his eyes suddenly and gasped, sucking in a mouthful of ash, and immediately began coughing. The taste was terrible: bitter and dry. To make matters worse, it was lining the inside of his mouth and throat as well. His throat burned, and it hurt simply to swallow.

“What... what happened?” Fyn croaked, standing up shakily and coughing again. He was completely covered in ash. Chomper was standing beside him and his other friends were nearby.

“Thank goodness you’re alive!” Chomper said, “I thought you were gone for sure.”

“What happened?” Fyn repeated.

“Don’t you remember?” Littlefoot asked, stepping forward.

Fyn closed his eyes, which still felt raw from the debris that had been flung up into them during... during what? Then everything came back to him: the Flying Rocks, the fire, the explosions, his family, the Valley crumbling under the unrelenting bombardment, and... Labon!”

“My dad!” Fyn suddenly exclaimed, looking around. His dad had been laying beside him when he’d passed out. Now he was nowhere to be found.

“Where’s my dad?” he asked again.

“He’s out helping,” Cera said, “in fact, almost everyone is.”

“Helping with what?” Fyn asked.

“Look around you,” Littlefoot said. For the first time, Fyn got a good look at his surroundings. What he saw was worse than anything he’d ever imagined. Almost everything in the Valley was covered by a fine layer of ash. It seemed the Smoking Mountain had erupted at some point during the previous night’s events. Many trees were ablaze, and only a few small sections of isolated, green forest remained. The worst was yet to come, however. Fyn soon noticed what first looked like lumps on the ground, also covered by the ash. Upon closer examination, however, one’s eyes told a different story altogether. The “lumps” were residents of the Great Valley who had not survived the night. They lay still, unmoving. Fyn couldn’t believe what he was seeing. This wasn’t how the Great Valley was supposed to be.This was not the paradise he’d looked down on last night.

“How bad is it?” he asked finally, hoarsely, unable to say anything else.

“I don’t know for sure,” he heard Ruby say from behind him. “You’d have to ask your dad or one of the other adults, but it’s pretty bad.”

Fyn sighed, but his sigh was shaky, choked up with grief. This once-proud Valley had been reduced to a mere wasteland in a manner of moments. He simply stood there in the ash, not thinking, not moving, barely breathing. Why did this have to happen now? Why did it have to happen at all? Fyn had no answers. Finally, he turned to his friends.

“Let’s find my dad and do our part to help out. It looks like they’re going to need all the help they can get.”

Cera nodded. “I agree. Who knows? Maybe we can fix this place up together!”

Fyn smiled, but his smile was hollow and meaningless. In all honesty, he wasn’t sure the Great Valley would ever be the same again.

The gang approached a group of dinosaurs, huddled together in front of a burning group of trees, talking in hushed voices. Fyn saw his father amongst them and called out, overjoyed at seeing his father alive and walking around.

“Dad!”

Labon looked up and greeted his son with a wan smile. He looked tired, and Fyn could see he’d been up for a while. Nonetheless, he still looked strong, and was obviously doing his part. Labon strode over to Fyn. For some reason, he seemed to be shielding his left side. Fyn, however, thought nothing else of it.

“Good morning, son.” Labon said. The greeting sounded strange and foreign given the current circumstances.

“I wish it was,” Fyn said, “what can my friends and I do to help?”

Labon sighed. “There’s a lot that needs to be done, in all honesty. I guess the first thing we need to do is separate the strongest of you right now. That means you, Littlefoot, Cera, and Spike. Petrie-” the Flyer looked up at Labon from his perch on Littlefoot’s back, “-I need you to fly over the Valley, looking for trapped survivors. If and when you find any, the rest of you-” he gestured to Fyn’s remaining friends, “-need to work together to do what you can to free those survivors. Got it?”

Everyone nodded.

“Good, go ahead. Those who I called out for being the strongest, stay with me.”

The others promptly left as Petrie took to the air. Labon turned to Fyn.

“I know this isn’t the best time, but I want to congratulate you.”

“For what?”

“For your completion of Starfall.”

Fyn was surprised. “But I didn’t complete Starfall. The Flying Rocks came and I ended up passed out until now.”

“That may be,” Labon said with a genuine smile, “but you acted swiftly in alerting everyone. You did what a leader should have done, and because of that, your Starfall is officially complete.” Labon did the customary head dip and Fyn responded in kind before Labon finished. “If it weren’t for your actions, many more would have lost their lives.”

“I meant to ask about that,” Fyn said, hesitantly, “how many-?”

“Too many,” Labon said. “We’ve already lost twenty three, and we expect that number to increase soon.

“Yes, it is,” Labon agreed, “but we can’t focus on that right now. The hard truth is that the dead are not coming back. We need to focus on helping those who have a chance.”

“Then what’s the plan?” Littlefoot asked, coming to Fyn’s side.

“We don’t know yet,” Labon answered, now addressing Littlefoot, “but your grandparents are currently making plans. Something will be done soon. Until then,” he looked over at the dinosaurs he’d just picked to stay, “I need you to help me.”

“Alright,” Cera said, and Spike nodded next to her, “just tell us where to go.”

“Follow me,” Labon said, on the move, “I’ll fill you in as we walk.”

Fyn noticed as they started that Labon still was avoiding displaying his left side. By now, his curiosity was definitely piqued, but he said nothing, instead listening to his father.

“Several Valley residents tried to take refuge in a cave last night. Unfortunately, a Flying Rock hit nearby, and their cave was sealed off. To the best of our knowledge, all of them are trapped inside. We are going to free them.”

“Excellent, just point me in the right direction,” Cera exclaimed.

“That’s what I like to hear,” Labon said, “the cave is over here.” Labon walked over to a mound of rocks taller than himself. “They’re inside,” he said, “Let’s get started.”  

Immediately, the group set to work clearing rocks. Labon had positioned himself at the far left of the group- presumably, Fyn reasoned, to hide his left side. He wondered what Labon was hiding. He hoped whatever it was wasn’t serious, and he made a point to find out later. He diverted his attention back to clearing rocks. There were a lot of them, and they were heavy, but slowly, progress was being made. Fyn heard voices in the cave, and the farther they went, the louder they became. Soon, the voices began cheering them on. Now they were down to the last few rocks.

“Stand back,” Cera said, loud enough so those inside the cave could hear, too. The Threehorn stepped backwards, pawed the ground, and took off for the rocks at a sprint. Lowering her shielded head, she plowed sideways into the rest of the rocks, clearing them with a tremendous “crash!” Rock dust and ash billowed outwards, blinding everyone, and coughing immediately set in. Fyn’s eyes stung, but he tried squinting through the pain and haze. Finally, dark silhouettes began to appear amongst the swirling clouds, approaching slowly. The trapped dinosaurs were safe. When the dust and ash settled, Fyn saw them all clearly; they were all scared, shaking, but relieved to be alive. Fyn couldn’t have imagined being trapped in such a tight space for so long. His heart went out to them, and their bravery inspired him.

“Alright, let’s go find someone else to help,” he said.
The next task was easier. The group followed faint cries for help to a Swimmer, trapped under a fallen tree. With their combined strength, the weight was next to nothing, and the tree was quickly removed. The Swimmer’s leg was hurt, but she was clearly going to live. Next, the Longnecks in the group used their height to help a few children who had been trapped when the path they’d used to get up onto a ledge collapsed. Again, the children were successfully rescued. Running around the Valley all day was hard work, but it was satisfying, and by the time the Bright Circle was at its highest (or at least what everyone assumed was its highest. No one could really tell through the massive clouds of ash that covered the sky) everyone was feeling good knowing they were doing everything they could to help.

Unfortunately, not every rescue attempt was successful. One particular event that haunted Fyn for a long time afterwards involved a mother Spiketail and her two children. There had been another cave collapse, but the mother had kept the rocks from falling completely by holding them up with her body. By the time help arrived, her strength was failing. The rescuers knew they could not pull her out without endangering her children, who were behind her in the cave. Silently, without a moment of hesitation, understanding the situation perfectly, the Spiketail used all of her remaining strength to stand, actually pushing the rocks she was supporting up. The children ran out of the cave as quickly as they could. The mother released her push on the rocks as soon as they were clear. Sadly, she was unable to move fast enough. The rocks buried her completely. More actions of selfless sacrifice to save another were witnessed that day. Fyn and the others had no time to mourn, however. There was too much to be done. Those who had given their lives would be remembered later. Fyn simply tried his best to block out the horrors around him and do his best. What would they do now? he wondered. What else, if anything, could still go wrong?

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I've been followingthis for a few days now, and I'm enjoying it so far. It looks to be a pretty epic journey might start soon, as the Great Valley is pretty much ruined now.

I'll write a review for this in the fanfic awards either when it's done, or when the awards are almost over.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Aug 11 2012 on  02:17 PM
I've been followingthis for a few days now, and I'm enjoying it so far. It looks to be a pretty epic journey might start soon, as the Great Valley is pretty much ruined now.

I'll write a review for this in the fanfic awards either when it's done, or when the awards are almost over.
Cool, thanks! I was hoping someone might be following this story! :DD

My guess is that the awards will definitely be over before this story is. Still, I'll do my best to work diligently on it!

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Later in the day, Labon finally called a break so he could speak with the other adults. Fyn, Cera, Littlefoot, and Spike sat by the lake, taking in the tragic scenery. Before long, they were joined by Petrie, Ducky, Ruby, and Chomper. They seemed weary, and Littlefoot certainly couldn’t blame them, if their day had been anything like his.

When they arrived at the lakeside, no one spoke. Nods were exchanged to acknowledge one another. That was all. For the longest time, all was quiet. Finally, Littlefoot broke the silence, addressing Chomper.

“So, how was your day?” he asked, sounding tired.

Chomper shook his head with downcast eyes. “Bad. I don’t know how long it’s going to take for the Great Valley to recover from this.”

Ruby cleared her throat hesitantly, getting the others’ attention.

“I don’t know if this is true or not,” she said timidly, “but I heard that some of us may have to leave the Great Valley.”

At her words, everyone froze. Now she really had their attention.

“What do you mean by some of us?” Cera asked warily.

Ruby shrugged. “That’s all I heard. I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright, Ruby,” Chomper said. “It’s just a rumor, anyway. The grown-ups will figure something out. They always do.”

“No they don’t,” Cera replied, cynically. “They can’t agree on anything, and all of you know it. Just look at them now! Everyone’s confused, and I can’t blame them. Everything happened too fast.” She sighed, “I just hope they can pull themselves together and come to a conclusion soon.”

The others nodded.

“I do not like this,” Ducky said quietly, “no, no, no.”

“The same goes for the rest of us,” Littlefoot said. Fyn, meanwhile, still hadn’t spoken a word. The images of the mother Spiketail saving her children were still fresh in his mind. Littlefoot noticed his friend’s concerned look.

“Fyn, is something the matter?”

“Just thinking,” Fyn replied.

“What about?” Cera asked.

“That mother Spiketail from earlier today...” Fyn’s voice trailed off and Cera and Littlefoot nodded in understanding.

“I remember,” Cera said, softly.

“Me too,” Littlefoot added.

“It’s just that... I’ve been thinking all day: would I have done the same if I were in her position?” Fyn asked.

“I don’t think there’s any way of truly knowing,” said Littlefoot.

“When times like those come, I don’t think we ever really think about that,” Ruby said, “we just do what we know is right, no matter what.”

Fyn nodded. “You know, Ruby? I think you might be right.”

Labon approached from where he’d previously been talking to the other adults.

“It sounds like there’s a plan in place now. Everyone is to gather by the lake tonight, when the Bright Circle falls. Try not to eat too much. There’s not much green food to go around.” As he turned away, Labon forgot to hide his left side, and Fyn finally saw why he’d been so secretive about it all day. His side sported a terrible arrangement of small, jagged wounds which, upon closer examination, looked burned as well.

“Where did he get those?” Fyn wondered to himself. Then, realization dawned on him. It all made sense now: the Flying Rock that had exploded in front of them, his father shielding him, the gashes, the burns... his father had not escaped the Flying Rock unscathed. What was worse was that it seemed his father’s injuries still contained small particles of dirt and debris. Fyn didn’t know much about wounds, but he knew that a wound like that, untreated, could be bad.

“Dad?” he asked.

“Yes, Fyn?”

“You need to get your side looked at. It doesn’t look good.”

Labon looked down at his side, completely exposed, and realized his mistake. His secret was out, now. He looked back to his son, almost pleading.

“Tell no one about this for now. I’ll get it looked at when I can, but I need to do all I can to help first.”

“Whatever you say,” Fyn said, “but please do something about it. Leaving it untreated is dangerous.”

Labon smiled. “Don’t worry, son. I’ll recover.”

Suddenly, the great Longneck bent over, coughing hoarsely. His sides heaved with the effort, and Fyn could tell that this hadn’t been brought on by the ash alone. There was something much more serious going on here.

“Dad-” he said again.

“I’m alright, Fyn!” Labon snapped, perhaps a little too harshly. He immediately corrected himself.

“I’m sorry,” he said, “I just haven’t been myself today. Carry on with your break. I just wanted to let you know about the gathering tonight.” And with that, Labon slipped away, back to the other adults.

“Did you see his side?” Fyn asked his friends.

Ruby nodded. “It’s a bad wound, I’m sorry to say. If someone doesn’t clean it out soon, he could get really sick.”

“It sounds like he already is really sick,” Chomper pointed out.

“Yeah, that cough not sound good,” said Petrie. “Me once had cough like that, and my mother keep me in nest for days.”

“Someone else will notice,” Fyn said, trying to reassure himself. “How could they not?”

“I guess you have a point there,” said Cera. After her statement, everyone was quiet again. Then Ducky spoke.

“Well, should we see if we can help some more?”

“What else is there to do?” Cera responded, “we’ve already almost covered the whole Valley.”

“Well, maybe we-” Petrie started. He was suddenly cut off by a deep rumbling, which shook the ground.

“Earthshake!” he said.

But Littlefoot wasn’t so sure. He looked up at the Smoking Mountain, where it seemed the rumbling had come from. A second wave of shaking hit, and this time, more smoke began to pour out of the Smoking Mountain’s peak. The sight seemed to have the attention of everyone else in the Valley, as well. It seemed the Flying Rocks had reawakened the massive, deadly mountain. There was one final, loud rumble, then all was quiet.

“Was that it?” Chomper asked.

“No,” Ruby answered, pointing to the top of the mountain. “Look!”

Sure enough, the worst was far from over. Now, Flowing Fire was pouring over the sides of the mountain’s top, and it was heading for the Valley. Most of the fires in the Valley were now going out, but if the Flowing Fire touched the trees, they could very easily start again. Now the adults, at least those able to do so, were scrambling to the scene.

“Come on!” Cera said, getting up and rousing the others, “let’s see what we can do to help.”

Without any disagreement, everyone stood and began to run, following Cera. The adults were gathering around the Smoking Mountain’s base, and that was where the gang was headed as well.

As soon as they arrived, they knew there was trouble. All of the adults, panicked, scared, were bickering amongst each other. Even Labon was snapping at others, acting much differently than usual.

“This is ridiculous!” Cera snorted, looking up at the fast-approaching Flowing Fire. “Why can’t they just do something?!”

“I don’t know,” Fyn said, “but if we don’t act soon, the Valley’s going up in flames.”

“Right,” Littlefoot said, glancing up the Smoking Mountain at a patch of loose rocks. “I think I might have a plan,” he said, after further studying the rocks.

“Well, ëmight have a plan’ is good enough for me,” Cera said, “Let’s hear it!”

“Alright,” Littlefoot said. If we can knock those rocks down here, I think we can make a kind of wall.”

“A wall?” Chomper asked, “but how’s that going to help us?”

“Hold on,” said Littlefoot, “I’m not finished yet. If the Flowing Fire keeps coming, then it should hit the wall and change directions. The ground slopes down here, away from the trees, so if we can divert that Flowing Fire enough...”

“It goes down and away from the trees!” Ducky chimed in.

“Exactly!”

“Then let’s do this!” Cera said, becoming frustrated at the adults’ constant arguments.

“Follow me,” said Littlefoot, bounding up the Smoking Mountain. He knew common sense generally dictated not to run towards flowing fire, but he felt an exception could be made in this case. He stopped at the rocks.

“Petrie,” he said to the Flyer who had just perched himself in front of him, “go back down the mountain and tell the grown-ups to get out of the way.”

“Me do it!” Petrie said eagerly, then took off and sped away.

“It’ll take all of us to get these rocks moving,” said Ruby.

“Then let’s start now!” Cera said, eyeing the approaching Flowing Fire. “Three, two, one, push!”

The dinosaurs surged forward as one, pushing against the heavy boulders. It was slow going, but they slowly began to move.

“Keep going,” Littlefoot said through gritted teeth, “almost there!”

Suddenly, the rocks were away, tumbling down the mountain and crashing against the ground on the bottom. The plan had worked... almost. The rocks had scattered when they hit, so there were plenty of gaps for the Flowing Fire to get through. They did not go unnoticed. The adults, also, looked surprised and a bit relieved. Slowly, they began to move over to the rocks, assisting by pushing them into place. Littlefoot looked back up the mountain. The Flowing Fire had almost reached them, and he could feel its heat licking at the back of his neck. Time to go.

Without a word, the gang scurried down the mountain to help move rocks. At the bottom, they were impressed with what they saw. The adults had stopped their bickering completely, and were working hard to build up the rock wall.

“Come on,” Littlefoot said to his friends, “let’s help!”

And help they did, pushing rocks into place, and supporting others, all the while racing the Flowing Fire. The wall was almost complete. Littlefoot glanced over it, and was met with a searing blast of heat. The Flowing Fire was practically on top of them! Then the last rock was rolled into place, and the cheering began.

Littlefoot noticed, then, that the cheering wasn’t on account of the task that had just been completed. It was directed at them; him and his friends. Slowly, a wide smile, a true smile, his first that day, perhaps, broke across his face. The adults encircled them, congratulating them and thanking them. Then Mr. Threehorn came out of the crowd and addressed Littlefoot directly.

“Thank you all for what you did. If you hadn’t acted, that Flowing Fire would probably have overtaken us all. It seems like every time we adults think we might know everything, you kids have something more to teach us. I really can’t believe I’m saying this, but thank you again.”

Littlefoot was understandably shocked. He’d almost never heard Mr. Threehorn talk like this. When he did, he really meant it.

“Um, thanks...” he said.

Mr. Threehorn nodded, smiled, and stepped back into the crowd. Meanwhile, Labon came forward.

“Good job out there,” he said, “I always-” suddenly he broke down into another coughing fit, this one much more violent than before. When he was done, he raised his face up again. He looked to be in pain, but he smiled at them anyway. “Sorry about that. I always knew we could count on you to do the right thing. Thanks so much.”

He looked up at the sky. The Bright Circle had almost left for the day.

“Night’s falling,” he said, we should get over to the lake now.

Night was falling already? Littlefoot was amazed. Time, it seemed, really went by when you were helping others.

Labon turned and prepared to start walking. Suddenly, his face contorted in a pain-induced grimace. He let in a sharp intake of breath.

“Argh!” he groaned, falling to his front knees. Fyn rushed to his side, and his friends followed.

“Dad,” Fyn said, helping his father back up, “you really need to rest.”

“No,” his father said, still straining through the pain, “there’s still- ngh!- more work that needs to be done.”

“But you don’t have to do it,” Littlefoot said, “there are plenty of us to help out. Right now, you just need to help yourself!”

“Does Mom know?” Fyn asked.

“No,” Labon responded. “I wouldn’t want to worry Keva any more than she already is.”

“Dad, she needs to know about this.”

“And I’ll tell her,” he said, “after the gathering, I promise.”

“Deal,” said Fyn.

“Speaking of gathering,” said Ruby, “we should probably go now. Everyone’s already gathered!”

Labon looked to the lake. Sure enough, it seemed everyone already had gathered.    

“Come on,” he said to the others, “let’s get over there now.”

Littlefoot nodded, following Fyn’s father. He couldn’t help but feel apprehension at what his grandparents were about to say. He felt that no matter what, it couldn’t be good.

“Then again,” he thought, “it can’t be much worse than what we’re already going through.”

Littlefoot shook off his thoughts. Whatever was about to happen would happen. There was nothing he could do to change that. He could only hope that his grandparents had made a wise choice, as they always did.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Grandpa Longneck waited until everyone was fully assembled before he began. Flanking him on either side were Labon and Mr. Threehorn, urging the crowd to quiet down. When all was silent, Grandpa Longneck spoke.

“Before we begin this meeting, I’d like to recognize and thank two dinosaurs who proved their outstanding courage and devotion to the residents of this Valley last night. Without them, it’s likely things would have been much worse than they actually were. Therefore, I call forward Fyn, son of Labon, and Littlefoot, my own grandson.”

Fyn and Littlefoot made their way forward, taking their places by Labon’s and Mr. Threehorn’s sides, respectively. Their friends led the rest of the Great Valley in a ground-shaking cheer. Fyn smiled inwardly, but kept his emotions blank on the outside. Celebration could not hide the fact that a tragedy had occurred, and it was too early for smiles. When the cheering died down, Grandpa Longneck spoke again.

“Now, doubtless all of you are wondering what is going to happen now. Before I say anything, here are the details: due to last night’s fires, and destruction caused by the Flying Rocks, there is not enough food or water left for everyone in the Valley. Ordinarily, the easy thing to do would be for everyone to leave the Valley, but this is not possible. Many dinosaurs were hurt during the Flying Rock storm last night, and are unable to travel. On top of all of this, the Cold Time is coming again, and sending a full-sized herd out into the Mysterious Beyond is risky. The Cold Time destroys much of our Green Food, and it’s a much bigger problem outside the Great Valley. Considering all of this, we are left with only one option: to send a smaller herd, made up of able-bodied and healthy dinosaurs to scout out a new home for us. A smaller herd requires less to eat, and if the Cold Time destroys some of the green food, there should still be enough to sustain said herd. Also, those who need to recover have the chance to stay behind, and the Great Valley should be able to sustain them. Mama Flyer will act as liaison between the scouting herd and the Valley.”  

Petrie’s mother stood up and raised a wing. Grandpa Longneck nodded, acknowledging her.

“One has already volunteered his leadership for this herd,” he continued. “Labon, leader of the Fin-Necks here, has spoken with his herd. Those in it who are able and strong enough have volunteered to join this herd, and a few others from the Great Valley will accompany them. This is primarily because the Fin-Neck herd has the most experience traveling the Mysterious Beyond, and has done so more recently than any of us. Labon,” he said, turning to the Fin-Neck by his side, “I believe you have an announcement to make.”

“I do, sir,” he said, nodding. “At this time, I’d like to announce my deputy for this journey: my son, Fyn.”

At Labon’s words, Fyn’s friends were shocked. If Fyn was the deputy, then he’d be leaving soon, probably without them. Standing next to his father, Fyn, too, was somewhat shocked. He wasn’t sure he was ready to take on the role of deputy.

“My son,” Labon said, turning to Fyn, “are you willing to accept this role?’

Fyn looked at his father, then at his friends, then back to his father. Finally, he took a long, hard look at the devastation around him, at the place he called home, at the many dinosaurs who would be relying on him and his father. He had to do this.

“I accept.”

“Then I declare this meeting adjourned,” said Grandpa Longneck. “I will stay behind with the herd leadership to discuss their plans. I bid a good night to all of you.”

As the crowds began to disperse, Grandpa Longneck turned to Fyn and Labon.

“We don’t have much time. The longer the scouting herd stays in the Valley, the more of the remaining food will be consumed. How soon can you leave?”

“Tomorrow,” Labon said, “and we can be gone before the Bright Circle’s completely in the sky.”

Grandpa Longneck nodded. “Good. I want to wish you all the best of luck. The Great Valley will be counting on you. I know you can bring us to a better, temporary place.”

Labon nodded, and smiled slightly. “Thank you for your kind words. I need to gather the herd together tonight. Will you and a few others be able to help me get everyone together?”

“Of course,” Grandpa Longneck said.

“Thanks again.” Labon addressed Fyn next. “You’re welcome to stay with your friends for now. I’ll need you back later, though- argh!” Labon doubled over again, coughing hard. This time, however, his fit went on for longer, and when he finally recovered, Fyn thought he could see a trace of blood on his mouth.

“Dad?”

“Don’t worry about me,” said Labon, suddenly seeming to rock from side to side, “I’ll be- I’ll be fine.”

Suddenly, he lurched forward, barely catching his balance. His face suddenly looked very tired, and his eyes rolled upwards.

“Fyn,” he said faintly, “tell Keva not to-”

Labon dropped like a stone, unconscious. Fyn barely had time to react, slowing his father’s fall with his tail. He looked on in utter horror at his father lying still on the ground. The only movement Fyn saw was the rise and fall of his chest. Good, he was still breathing. In moments, Littlefoot and the gang were at his side, too.

“What happened?” Littlefoot asked.

“It’s his wound,” Ruby answered quickly. “He’s sick. Someone needs to see him now!”

Fyn looked up with a look of pure determination, “then I need you guys to find a healer. I’ll stay with my dad. Please hurry!”

Without any delay, the gang took off in separate directions, each looking for someone who knew how to treat wounds. When they were gone, Fyn turned back to his helpless, unconscious father.

“Please, Dad,” he whispered, tears already forming in his eyes and falling onto his father’s skin, “please hold out for me. Stay strong. Fight through this.”

That night, the Night Circle rose on a very different Great Valley, one that was much more hostile and strange. Labon had fallen victim to this new Valley, leaving Fyn to work things out.
And for once in his life, Fyn had no idea what to do.  

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Chapter 5: From out of the Ashes

The healer, an old Swimmer, hadn’t been there for long, but to Fyn, his visit seemed to have taken seasons. When he finally returned from Fyn’s father’s side, Fyn looked at him with pleading eyes. The old Swimmer hung his head, tired.

“How is he?” Keva asked him. She and Fyn’s sisters, Salde and Rya, had arrived as soon as they’d heard the news.

The Swimmer sighed deeply. “I’ve seen this happen before. The wounds he received during the Flying Rock storm last night were deep, but not severe. Unfortunately, he didn’t treat them, and left them exposed all day.”

The Swimmer looked over at Fyn with an expression of sorrow across his old, wrinkled face.

“Sickness often sets in when wounds like that are exposed, and sometimes it can become serious.”

“Is he going to be alright?” Salde suddenly piped up.

The Swimmer spoke slowly, choosing his next words carefully. Too often he’d made this statement, only to have it turn out wrong. Now, he was going to do it again.

“I don’t know. There’s only so much I can do for him. I can wash the wounds out and I can give him whatever healing plants are left in the Valley, but he’s going to have to help me. He needs to fight, to preserve his will to live, otherwise...” he looked back at Labon, and the silence as the Fin-Neck family awaited his answer was absolute. One could have heard a pebble fall upon the grass on the other side of the Valley.

“Otherwise, we might lose him.”

“No,” Keva whispered, her voice choked with tears, “not my mate. Labon,” she said, running to her mate’s side, and speaking to his emotionless, unseeing face, “please, you’re strong, the strongest there is. Fight through this sickness for me, for your family, your children. Please-” she said, breaking down next to the motionless dinosaur and sobbing, “please come back to us.”

The Swimmer watched with seasoned eyes. He had seen this same scene many times over the course of his life. Sometimes it ended well, other times, it didn’t.

“Will he wake soon?” Fyn asked the Swimmer.

“Yes, I believe he will. Do you have something you wish to tell him?”

Fyn thought about everything that had happened that day and his last conversation with his father before... this happened.

“I don’t think so,” he said, turning to walk away. He needed time to think about tomorrow, time to... tomorrow! Suddenly, Fyn realized he did need to address his father after all.

“Actually,” he said hurriedly to the healer, “I do have something I need to tell him. Will you let me know when he wakes?”

“Of course,” the healer replied.

“Thank you. I’ll be talking to Grandpa Longneck. That’s where you should be able to find me.”

The healer nodded. “Good luck.”

“Thanks.”

Fyn ran back to his family, still by Labon’s side, waiting for something, anything. Fyn’s heart felt a pang of grief at the expression on his mother’s face. She’d already lost a family member in her life. Would nature be cruel enough to take her mate, too?

“Mother,” he said softly, and Keva looked up, eyes swimming in tears.

“Yes, my son?”

“I need to speak to Grandpa Longneck urgently. I have to go now.”

Keva nodded slowly, “I understand. Is it about the journey tomorrow?”

“It is,” Fyn said, and Keva looked back at her still mate, then back to Fyn.

“Labon’s in no condition to lead the herd. He has to stay here.”

“I know,” said Fyn, “that’s what I need to speak to Littlefoot’s grandfather about. He needs to find a new leader.”

“Just make sure that Labon stays here,” she said, bending back down to her mate.

“I will,” Fyn whispered, getting choked up again, “I promise.” He turned silently, with barely a rustle of grass- it seemed the respectful thing to do- and slowly began his walk away. Things still had to be done, and if his father had been in his position, he would have agreed. Without Labon around to lead, things could plunge into chaos quickly if the issue of leadership wasn’t resolved soon.

It wasn’t long before Fyn spotted Grandpa Longneck, standing with most of the scouting herd for the next day. As Fyn approached, the old Longneck greeted him with a warm smile.

“I’m glad you could come, Fyn,” he said, “but where is your father?”

At his words, Fyn almost lost his composure right then and there, in front of the herd he had been assigned to help lead.

“Just like a little kid,” he thought to himself, “I can’t show weakness in front of any of these dinosaurs. They’re probably having a hard time believing in me as it is.”

“My father,” he said, pausing to draw in a long, shaky breath, “is sick. He might even be dying. At this point we can’t tell, but I know for certain that there is absolutely no way he’s going to be able to lead the herd tomorrow.”

Throughout Fyn’s statement, it seemed the creases and wrinkles on the old Longnecks face grew deeper. His mouth opened farther in shock and surprise, and finally, an expression of grief registered in his eyes.

“You know this to be true?”

“I do,” Fyn said, eyes downcast, “I was there when it happened.”

“Then a new leadership must be decided. Of course, the leader is an obvious choice.”

“Really?” said Fyn, “that’s excellent! Who do you have in-?”

“Because you completed the rite of Starfall recently, you are technically Labon’s deputy, and bound to take his place should he become unable to lead.”

The words hit Fyn like a thundering, crushing Rockslide. He’d lead before, of course, but during that particular instance, he’d already known where he was going: the Great Valley, and most of that journey had already been completed when he took charge. This was something completely different. If he lead these dinosaurs, he would be walking with them to lands completely unknown, in the hopes of possibly finding somewhere hospitable during the Cold Time. Things were not looking good. Yet, under all of the apprehension and ill-feeling, there was another, underlying emotion. Fyn couldn’t entirely decide what it was, only that it didn’t feel like fear. Excitement, perhaps? Somewhere inside, was this what he truly wanted?

Once again, Fyn considered his priorities. If he refused leadership, then he wouldn’t have to worry about failure. On the other hand, it would delay finding another leader, and time was of the essence now. Resources in the Great Valley were scarce, and the longer they stayed, the more would be used, and taken away from those who needed them most. Dinosaurs like his dad, for example. Fyn gritted his teeth as he prepared himself for his answer- the only answer he could give in good conscience.

“I understand, and I will lead this herd.”

“Good,” said Grandpa Longneck. “Now, however, comes the difficult part: deciding who is to be your deputy.”

Fyn mentally kicked himself. He’d forgotten about that. He’d never considered Labon becoming incapacitated and his having to lead, much less choosing a deputy. Now, his poor planning was catching up with him. He’d have to start thinking ahead more.

“I need to think about this for a little while,” Fyn said finally, and Grandpa Longneck nodded.

“I’ll have an answer for you soon,” Fyn added, “the herd will still leave on time.”

“Good, but don’t rush your decision. This is very important.”

“Don’t worry,” Fyn said, heading for the one place he knew he could think in peace, “I won’t.”

“I know,” said Grandpa Longneck to Fyn as he left, “and I wish your father the best of luck in recovering.”

“Thank you,” Fyn said, and he was gone, off into the night again, preparing to make the biggest decision he’d ever made.