The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

R and PG-13 rated Land Before Time Fan Fiction

Serris · 43 · 6110

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I looked at Malte's post on LBT fan fiction and my post ("What do you hate to find in fan fiction") and I was wondering, what is everyone's opinion on PG-13 and R rated LBT fan fiction?

I personally feel that LBT can work in an PG-13 or even R rated fan fic as long as it is done well.

By done well I mean that it has a good plot and it just engrosses the reader in it.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I agree. If it is done well without involving slash, killing off of main characters, or deviation from normal behavior, I'm okay with it.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: lbt/cty_lover,May 3 2008 on  05:56 PM
Deviation from normal behavior.
Umm, there is are 2 scenes in Twilight Valley that might be a little...unusual to put it lightly.

1.) Ducky is about to be kidnapped by Sierra and she briefly fights him off by stabbing him through the wing with a sharp stick but she is knocked out with a blow to the back of the head by another enemy flyer and finally carried off by the injured Sierra and another flyer.

2.) Ducky throws a vine to help rescue Deimos (allied sharptooth <sickleclaw>).

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I to believe it can work..but it will take a very well developed plot...and absolutely NO killing off of main characters. However such fanfics can also contain a lot of unnecessary blood, gore and violence, but again if done properly it may be acceptable to a certain audience.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't think an R-rated fic would be good, but PG-13 seems reasonable. In fact, that's the rating I'd give my fic.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think another thing to be kept in mind is that, the ratings that the authors give on FF.net my not be 100% accurate. I have seen a PG-13 fan fic War of the Worlds that seemed to be G or PG rated.

Also some authors will "uprate" their fic for a variety of reasons, but "for safety" (FF.net flat out states that underrating a fic is punishable by deletion of offending fic.) seems to the most common reason:

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Quote from: jedi472,May 3 2008 on  05:18 PM
I don't think an R-rated fic would be good, but PG-13 seems reasonable. In fact, that's the rating I'd give my fic.
Yeah, same with my fanfic.

And I agree that a Rated R LBT fanfic is way too risque and it the themes should be modified so it can at least have PG-13 rating.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I personally don't believe that any fic rated over G can be good when it comes to LBT stories.  Violence and sexuality are the only reasons why a LBT fic would be rated higher than G and I don't think either of them are necessary to create a good fic.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I personally dislike such rating when it comes to LBT.  The series revolves around friendship, morals and is generally decent entertainment :yes, not killings or sexuality.  Some minor profanity is alright but no F-words(I hate that word :angry:).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm all right with it. I've written an R-rated LBT fanfic, well 2 actually, although the second was never finished. It was supposed to be PG-13 rated, but a user on FF.Net complained of the low rating and I was forced to raise the rating.

I find it hard to write G-rated fanfics, and I've only succeeded once or twice. My comfort zone in writing is usually PG-13 and R, which is unusual considering I usually dislike watching movies of that rating.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Hmm...  I don't know personally...  I mostly hold the same views as Cancerian Tiger and landbeforetimelover.  (In fact, guys, I couldn't have said it better...)  It just doesn't hold up very well...  It's just not LBT...  If it deviates too much, then, well...
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm only making a guess at what an "R" rating is (similar to our "15" rating I suppose) and I don't think I like the sound of anything LBT getting an "R". Still, I've never read any, so I won't make a final judgment.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It is often tricky to decide what would "fit" into a land before time story and what would not. In most cases people would have very different opinions on whether or not a particular scene or action or whatever would be "fitting".
It should be noted that the land before time is far from being without violence. We have the killing of Littlefoot's mother in the original movie. We have landscapes full of death and decay in the original movie and LBT 2 and 3. We have two unconscious and defenseless sharpteeth being executed by being buried alive in LBT 6 while Littlefoot and the others were cheering (now that was a scene where I think the movie makers were rather thoughtless with special regards to the lesson Littlefoot and the others had learned in LBT 5 :angry:), we have a whole herd being killed in LBT 7 etc. etc.
Many fanfictions though project a very human way of thinking on the dinosaurs. There are so many fanfictions where the dinosaurs seem to enjoy violence and embrace it as a "solution for problems" very much the way humans do. Many people would love to see a full scale dinosaur war (preferably involving dinosaurs equipped with human weaponry). I don't think LBT dinosaurian minds would work like that. The kind of racism among different species is the only thing I can think of that might realistically get dinosaurs into a fight that might bear some resemblance to human warfare. I consider it very unlikely though that they would really pull this through to the very end. I guess human wars and battles with thousands and thousands of dead and maimed people many of whom are not even directly affected by the "cause" of the fighting is something LBT dinosaurs could never ever understand or conduct on that scale.
As for sexuality I think that all of the maincharacters are too young to think or even know about it. There are direct references in LBT movies to support this view. We have Littlefoot ask his grandparents about babies in LBT 2 (making them look visibly uneasy), we have Littlefoot being unaware that he even had a Dad in LBT 10, we have Littlefoot wonder if Tria is to be Cera's new Mum in LBT 11. There are a few other subtle hints in some LBT movies (e.g. Petrie's mum pointing out to Petrie that she would be the first to know if he was to have new sibling in LBT 12), but such hints are so subtle that most children wouldn't take any notice of them at all.
Of course there is sexuality in the world of LBT (or else we would have a new explanation on why the dinosaurs are extinct :lol), but it is not the topic of the stories and when it is referred to this is done very in a very inexplicit way.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Well said, Malte.  Except, I always interpreted Littlefoot saying that he didn't know he had a dad, as meaning that he thought that maybe he'd died (since Littlefoot is awfully smart), and not merely in the context that you posted...
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, let me go with something that can hopefully make what I want to say easier.

Did you all know that the very first well writen fanficiton (I'm talking well writen here.  There were ones before this, but they weren't written in such a professional manner.) to grace the internet was actually M-rated and went out of proportion with the elements of the franchise?  Hard to believe but true.

The very first well-writen one was called Pokemon Master: A Dark Pokemon Fanfiction.  The fanfiction at hand went out of proportion with the world of Pokemon.  It basically had a crap ton of graphic violence and swearing, two elements that, even though they are present in the original version, never went as high as they did here.  It also had the unrealistic element of giving Humans the same powers as their Pokemon. (Fighting was understandable, but water? fire? electricity? that was a whole other story.) These elements were surprising, but very well written for the fanficiton.  It executed them quite well, hardly making them a real point of it all, and still stuck to the original plot of the story.

Now to explain the sexuality factor, I will once again turn to Pokemon.  The only things you'll get with this one are human mothers holding babies and the sudden finding of a Pokemon Egg.  However, this hasn't stopped the website AGNPH, which has quite a number of sex fanfictions, from existing.  They even go as far as Human and Pokemon having sex and having children of their own.

There are even more fanfictions with the unrealistic element of Pokemon having schools of their own.  In most, they basically go through what every human would in school.  Yet, this is an unrealistic element because Pokemon are part of the wild or they are trained by someone.  They would normally not having a school and be able to survive through basic instinct.  Yet, this information hasn't stopped such a thing from existing.

Now, let me be blunt for a second, but if you were into Pokemon, you would also not want to read alot of stuff and be hardly presented with an oppurtunity to do so.

The point of this is that the realm of fanfiction is NOT the area of the franchise, but of the mind of the one writing the story.  Besides, what does the subnote on Fanficiton.net say?  Answer: Unleash your imagination.  So the realm of fanfiction pertains to a writer's imagination, which seems to hold quite a number of things in the end.

Of course fanfiction is going to have unrealistic elements that don't pertain to the franchise, but most people's imagination hold just that, which is the main idea of fanfiction in general.

With my understanding of this sort of thing, I can enjoy the area of well writen R rating.  Those that aren't well writen, I suggest to the writer to try and make it better.

So for me, as long as it's well writen, I could care less.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
IMHO, PG-13 is okay, but R rating is just too much. I won't read anything LBT-related, that's been rated R. -_-

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
the FanFic I'm currently working on is PG the next one would have to be PG-13.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Clawandfang,May 4 2008 on  05:19 AM
I'm only making a guess at what an "R" rating is (similar to our "15" rating I suppose) and I don't think I like the sound of anything LBT getting an "R". Still, I've never read any, so I won't make a final judgment.
To explain the ratings:

On FF.net the "R" rating is also known as "M" and it means: "not suitable for under 16".

The true "R" rating is usually used for movies and means: "not suitable for under 17".

On FF.net the "PG-13" rating is also known as "T" and it means: "not suitable for under 13".  

The K+ rating of FF.net is about equivalent to a PG rating.

In the British rating system:

British:------------American:

U            =         G
PG          =         PG
12           =        PG-13
15          =         R
18         =         NC-17

I got the rough patterning from http://www.bbfc.co.uk          

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*On a funny side note*: Malte's post:
dinosaurs equipped with human weaponry

That conjured a bizarre image of Ducky wielding a shotgun (not that she'd ever do that. I don't think she could even lift it, let alone fire it in her current size!  :lol )

Remember, it is possible to make a good "LBT war fan fic" (Fan fiction where a dinosaur war is implied or actually occurs. I can cite 3 good ones: Land Before Time: War of the Worlds (By Falcon88), Land Before Time: Twilight Valley (By Serris/Jakayrta) and Innocents Lost (By Tony Dimera). The last one implies war, the first 2 actually involve war.)

Even if you are writing a "LBT war fan fic", I did set some guidelines:

1.) Weapons are permissible but they must be primitive (basically only what would be found in nature: sticks, stones, poisonous plants, fire etc. <fire does appear in War of the Worlds and will appear in Twilight Valley for peaceful and military use.> I did make an exception for blowguns as they are simply hollow reeds).

2.) Military lingo is acceptable AS LONG as it is somewhat modifiable to fit in the LBT universe.

3.) No military ranks or titles.

4.) Humans and modern human weaponry are NEVER to appear in a dinosaur war.(That is not to say this can't work in LBT fan fictionTime Gate X (By Cyberlizard)) provides a fairly good example of how it could work (there's even a scene where *Spoilers*).

But unless you age the LBT characters, sexuality DOES NOT belong in LBT.

*On a side note "links with #4" *:

An original "furry" SF/fantasy fiction I'm writing also features the "time travelling human researcher who finds that dinosaurs are sapient and capable of speech" motif that Cyberlizard's story has but the plot is totally original. The researcher in my fan fic is a civilian but he is familiar with small arms and heavier munitions like rocket launchers (might need to be if you are going into the Jurassic!). He does not have all that much military training other than familiarity with various ranged weapons .

During one of the space station chapters, Deimos (OC from my fan fiction -Deinonychus) will fight with a terrorist and he'll kill him by wresting his pistol away and shooting him in the head. Needless to say, the researcher is suprised (later revealed that Deimos learned to use firearms by imitation <he gets a brief lesson on firearms from the researcher during a little lull in the action and he learns REALLY fast>) I made Deimos a little more human-like (good problem solving skills and human-like dexterity). The Struthiomimus character will also use a weapon (a knife he takes off a terrorist the researcher shot and killed)

I aslo had somewhat inspiration from the plot of Jurassic Park IV (involves genetically modified Deinonychus as mercenaries)

*SPOILER FOR TIME GATE X*

Pterano seizes Tanner's pistol and shoots Sierra through the head with it, killing him. Earlier, Yu (OC from the story-Velociraptor) decapitates a velociraptor and stabs another one with a knife, that Tanner gave him.

• Spike
    • View Profile